Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea Marina Death 14:22 - Sep 16 with 12979 viewsattila_the_hun

thought there may have already been a thread on this but couldn't find one RIP http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/police-confirmed-body-found-swansea-13624065

"I'm Free"

Swansea Marina Death on 23:30 - Sep 16 with 7131 viewsEbo

I think it was this poor fella here (copy and pasted from a facebook group)

A number of people have asked what happened with Eyob. This is still so raw but I will try to give a brief explanation to draw attention to the reasons behind his death.

My name is Rachel I run a project called Bloom which welcomes and supports refugees and asylum seekers in Swansea, I also work in Mumbles Foodbank. Eyob was referred to me about 16 months ago by someone who said he needed support. I went to meet Eyob and he explained his situation. Eyob was from Ethiopia and he was an asylum seeker who's case had been refused , the home office made him destitute. This means they made him homeless, they stopped all financial support and told him he wasn't allowed to work. Now you tell me what do you think will happen to someone who has everything stripped away ?
He lived like this for over a year. When I met him I started taking him food, we bought him some shoes and built a friendship. Eyob had a very deep voice, he was gentle and quiet. Eyob was always so thankful for any support he received. At this time Eyob was very much part of different communities in Swansea he was assistant coach for the Unity in Diversity team , he volunteered there, he helped us every week at foodbank packing boxes , carrying donations and was very much part of the team.

I noticed a change in Eyob when his friend was murdered , he was also a destitute asylum seeker from Ethiopia. The death hit him hard and he started to say some odd things which made me worry. Eyob's life started to crumble and he lost his place in the accomodation he was staying in he stopped going to community drop ins, stopped football , I didn't hear from him as much and he was sleeping all the time . I was worried he was depressed and started to fear for his safety. I went with Eyob to see his GP and a mental health nurse who were extremely unhelpful. The mental health nurse wasn't supportive suggested Eyob was on drugs, this wasn't true. They refused to give him a mental health assessment and said it was his situation making him depressed and they couldn't change that. I sat in that doctors room holding my tears back and when we got outside he looked at me and said "so they won't help me?". I then called crisis teams , homeless projects and noone offered any help or advice .

His life continued to unravel he stayed with friends and then a hostel where he couldn't sleep. Two weeks ago he called me from hospital he had tried to end his life , I was stunned to be told that they stitched him up and dropped him back in town with nowhere to sleep that night. What did they think would happen ? My parents gave him a bed while we tried to sort out something more permanent, he slept most of the time . We tried to give him options for his future but looking back now I realise he had already decided he wanted to die so he wouldn't engage. He went out Saturday to a party with friends and when he left the party that was the last time anyone saw or heard from him . I went out searching for him , I went to his favourite places , spoke to his friends but no-one had heard from him. I feared the worst and then Thursday the police called us in and told us they had found his body in the Marina.

The pain of hearing this was devastating and I also felt so angry firstly at the Home office who make people destitute which to some is a death sentence and secondly to our mental health services who failed him in his hour of need when on 2 occasions they could have intervened.

There will be an inquest into his death and and I hope people are held to account. We lost a beautiful friend , a life gone that could have achieved so much. His death could have been avoided.

I will remember the kind gentle soul who used to call me Ratch , Im sorry Eyob that you made it to the UK full of hopes to have it all ripped away, Im sorry there was no safety net to catch you. I will now fight to in your words "Bring change " for others in your situation.

Be kind people you don't know what difference it makes to others

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Swansea Marina Death on 01:12 - Sep 17 with 7083 viewsLoyal

Ebo with a Y.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Swansea Marina Death on 01:17 - Sep 17 with 7077 viewsClydachjack

Ethiopia and he was an asylum seeker who's case had been refused. So why was he still in this country.

Just saying..
Swansea Marina Death on 05:24 - Sep 17 with 7044 viewsMagic_Michu

Swansea Marina Death on 01:17 - Sep 17 by Clydachjack

Ethiopia and he was an asylum seeker who's case had been refused. So why was he still in this country.

Just saying..

He was made destitute by the Home Office... they told him it was too dangerous for him to go home so he was allowed to stay but wouldn't be entitled to work, any benefits or support.

Eyob was a friend of mine... I made that film with him a number of moths ago.

Truly devastated... he was let down by the system. We treat animals better.

Twitter: @swanseadan
Poll: Will the Woods deal happen?

Swansea Marina Death on 09:54 - Sep 17 with 6921 viewsMillJack

Just saying..

Literally no reason to say it on this thread though.

RIP Eyob.
Swansea Marina Death on 10:38 - Sep 17 with 6875 viewsattila_the_hun

I've seen a different name mentioned several times on FB but guess we won't know for certain until its confirmed

"I'm Free"

Swansea Marina Death on 11:01 - Sep 17 with 6846 viewsMeraki

Just saying..

Maybe you should know what you are talking about before "Just saying.." anything.
Swansea Marina Death on 11:23 - Sep 17 with 6808 viewsRogerstone

Just saying..

Have some compassion!

"Gylfi's on fire, your defence is terrified!"

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea Marina Death on 11:25 - Sep 17 with 6798 viewsDarran

People just can't fuçk up can they?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Swansea Marina Death on 14:14 - Sep 17 with 6693 viewsYossarian

This sad affair appears to throw up one or two questions:
Where did he actually claim asylum?
Was he moved to Swansea by the Authorities or did he come here because he had some friends or family here?
When his application was rejected and all forms of support removed, does the duty of care of the local council and the Government end as well?
Surely there is a moral obligation to ensure the lad wasn't destitute?
If all support is removed then why wasn't he removed at the earliest opportunity in order to prevent the inevitable destitution?
Why didn't anyone intervene in any meaningful way to prevent what now appears to be an easily foreseeable outcome?
Whilst I usually take a very cynical view of 'the asylum industry' it is clear there are some real issues here- and in all human decency, there needs to be some scrutiny as to what could have been done to prevent this tragedy.

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

Swansea Marina Death on 18:46 - Sep 17 with 6562 viewsMagic_Michu

The government actually label him destitute. They told him he should stay because he's unsafe in Ethiopia but they will not support him and he can't work. We treat animals better.

We will be holding a memorial service/ funeral for him in Linden Church in the coming weeks after an inquest has been made. We also need to make a decision whether to repatriate his body... but it costs close to £7000 so would need to fundraise to do so.

Swansea Marina Death on 19:09 - Sep 17 with 6523 viewsunion_jack

Swansea Marina Death on 18:46 - Sep 17 by Magic_Michu

The government actually label him destitute. They told him he should stay because he's unsafe in Ethiopia but they will not support him and he can't work. We treat animals better.

We will be holding a memorial service/ funeral for him in Linden Church in the coming weeks after an inquest has been made. We also need to make a decision whether to repatriate his body... but it costs close to £7000 so would need to fundraise to do so.

It is absolutely ridiculous that he was told he could stay in the UK but denied the opportunity to keep himself. Where is the rationale behind that.

If he was here on a temporary basis, surely a temporary work permit should have been given at the very least!?

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Swansea Marina Death on 19:36 - Sep 17 with 6484 viewsDr_Winston

Swansea Marina Death on 19:09 - Sep 17 by union_jack

It is absolutely ridiculous that he was told he could stay in the UK but denied the opportunity to keep himself. Where is the rationale behind that.

If he was here on a temporary basis, surely a temporary work permit should have been given at the very least!?

Is the key matter for me. If he's been told he can't stay he should have been removed. If he's been told he can't be removed he should be allowed to claim, or at least take up employment.

Stupid system.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Swansea Marina Death on 19:47 - Sep 17 with 6462 viewsexiledclaseboy

Swansea Marina Death on 19:36 - Sep 17 by Dr_Winston

Is the key matter for me. If he's been told he can't stay he should have been removed. If he's been told he can't be removed he should be allowed to claim, or at least take up employment.

Stupid system.

Deliberately designed that way so as to make those who have been denied residence so destitute and desperate that leave of their own accord, thus saving government the expense of removing them.

Poll: Tory leader

Swansea Marina Death on 19:50 - Sep 17 with 6452 viewsDarran

So seeing as this thread is still going what actually happened to this poor chap?

Swansea Marina Death on 20:16 - Sep 17 with 6405 viewsjack2jack

Swansea Marina Death on 05:24 - Sep 17 by Magic_Michu

He was made destitute by the Home Office... they told him it was too dangerous for him to go home so he was allowed to stay but wouldn't be entitled to work, any benefits or support.

Eyob was a friend of mine... I made that film with him a number of moths ago.

Truly devastated... he was let down by the system. We treat animals better.

Sorry to read of your friends tragic death.
So sad.
RIP
Swansea Marina Death on 20:35 - Sep 17 with 6376 viewslonglostjack

Swansea Marina Death on 19:47 - Sep 17 by exiledclaseboy

Deliberately designed that way so as to make those who have been denied residence so destitute and desperate that leave of their own accord, thus saving government the expense of removing them.

It really is sick.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2017 20:36]

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Swansea Marina Death on 21:01 - Sep 17 with 6342 viewsJack_Meoff

Swansea Marina Death on 18:46 - Sep 17 by Magic_Michu

What a f*cking depressing story. Rule Britannia.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Swansea Marina Death on 21:06 - Sep 17 with 6330 viewsHighjack

It's nearly every week they are fishing some poor person out of that marina, is there nothing they can do to make it safer? Especially when it's in such close proximity to the main street of bars and clubs.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Swansea Marina Death on 21:11 - Sep 17 with 6312 viewsKilkennyjack

Swansea Marina Death on 20:16 - Sep 17 by jack2jack

Sorry to read of your friends tragic death.
So sad.
RIP

RIP - shamefully treated.

A lad like all of us.

Beware of the Risen People

Swansea Marina Death on 21:13 - Sep 17 with 6303 viewsDarran

So nobody knows what happened then?

Swansea Marina Death on 21:57 - Sep 17 with 6254 viewsmax936

Swansea Marina Death on 21:13 - Sep 17 by Darran

So nobody knows what happened then?

Well seeing as he was found in the water, I'd suggest he's either jumped in deliberately as he had given up due to his situation or accidently fell in, either way its a tragic story.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Swansea Marina Death on 22:26 - Sep 17 with 6204 viewsMagic_Michu

Unfortunately, because of mental health issues... down to being made homeless / unable to claim benefits, and not being able to access any support or NHS help he lost hope and took his own life.

He attempted suicide the week before... A & E bandaged up his wounds and told him to get rest for a week and dropped him back in town. My friends put him up for the week but he went missing last weekend, his body eventually turned up in the Marina on Thursday.

We treat animals better as a society.

Eyob had been volunteering at the Swansea foodbank that I help run... he always tried to volunteer in various places because he felt that places like the foodbank were supporting him so he should help others too.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2017 22:31]

Swansea Marina Death on 22:33 - Sep 17 with 6183 viewsmax936

Swansea Marina Death on 22:26 - Sep 17 by Magic_Michu

Unfortunately, because of mental health issues... down to being made homeless / unable to claim benefits, and not being able to access any support or NHS help he lost hope and took his own life.

He attempted suicide the week before... A & E bandaged up his wounds and told him to get rest for a week and dropped him back in town. My friends put him up for the week but he went missing last weekend, his body eventually turned up in the Marina on Thursday.

We treat animals better as a society.

Eyob had been volunteering at the Swansea foodbank that I help run... he always tried to volunteer in various places because he felt that places like the foodbank were supporting him so he should help others too.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2017 22:31]

Very Sad mate and all to familiar a Story these days to unfortunately.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Swansea Marina Death on 22:39 - Sep 17 with 6172 viewsBLAZE

F*cking heartbreaking.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024