Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Serious question for people that went to the Vetch 10:53 - Sep 17 with 36131 viewsDarran

Did any of you hear Jason Price being called a lazy black bastard with sheer regularity?

It's a no from me.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2017 17:27]

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 12:11 - Sep 17 with 1208 viewsE20Jack

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 12:07 - Sep 17 by Darran

Thanks Prof there's a pattern emerging here.

Aye, a pretty pattern of you saying it didnt happen, to saying it did, then to ok just not that often, to now suggesting a pattern is emerging as some dont seem to recall hearing it... The fact many others have said yes unequivocally seems irrelevant.

Hearing/seeing/witnessing something is far more proof of an event occuring than not hearing something is proof of something not happening. Have you ever sneaked in the house after a late night and your missus the next morning says "I didn't hear you come in last night" - that doesn't mean you didn't as you clearly did. However if she said "you made a hell of a noise coming in last night" that would be certain proof you did.

Hearing is far more valuable than not hearing when looking at evidence, just as Wenger not seeing the handball in the box is never as reliable as someone who actually did.

On that note I will have some lunch too.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2017 12:19]

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 12:21 - Sep 17 with 1185 viewsswanjackal

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 12:08 - Sep 17 by E20Jack

There was never any chants. That would signify a coordinated and pre meditated attack (which is why people in the Center Stand wouldnt know).

The abuse he received, regularly, was spontaneous singling out from many quarters of the North Bank. The majority being the right hand corner of course. Granted this was an era where monkey noises and shouts of "zulu!" would be made when opposing black players got the ball (also game by game basis) - although that doesnt excuse it.

Nicer to forget, but reality doesnt often like to be forgotton.

Have not forgotten, just never witnessed it to be fair. Did the odd person do it? Probably, could history have also caused the effect to be magnified in the mind more than it actually was also? Possibly. The mind works in mysterious ways.

I remember him getting abuse though, the usual "you're sh1t" etc, something that wasn't just localised to him, but a lot of the players at that time. Did some of the individuals who would scream abuse at him add on the racial slurs,? I don't doubt it, but it wasn't at a level that would be picked up outside of those in their immediate vicinity.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 12:22 - Sep 17 with 1177 viewsTheResurrection

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 12:21 - Sep 17 by swanjackal

Have not forgotten, just never witnessed it to be fair. Did the odd person do it? Probably, could history have also caused the effect to be magnified in the mind more than it actually was also? Possibly. The mind works in mysterious ways.

I remember him getting abuse though, the usual "you're sh1t" etc, something that wasn't just localised to him, but a lot of the players at that time. Did some of the individuals who would scream abuse at him add on the racial slurs,? I don't doubt it, but it wasn't at a level that would be picked up outside of those in their immediate vicinity.

The point being, you wouldn't have even noticed it back then.

I've always heard you black kunt at games, always.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 12:26 - Sep 17 with 1167 viewsswanjackal

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 12:22 - Sep 17 by TheResurrection

The point being, you wouldn't have even noticed it back then.

I've always heard you black kunt at games, always.

By individuals, true, but by targetted groups , it certainly would have registered.

As have I heard such things, even to this day, but usually by individuals.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 12:27 - Sep 17 with 1165 viewsE20Jack

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 12:21 - Sep 17 by swanjackal

He was singled out more than any other player and it clearly affected him. Just because it was not a chant sung in unison, don't mistake that as it not being widespread abuse, because it was. This is not something I am looking back on after not knowing at the time. This was something I used to actively dislike and feel uncomfortable with at the time.

I haven't witnessed many things that other people have when in the same vicinity, I just assume that I wasn't paying attention, i most certainly don't claim they imagined it - even more so when many also have the same experience.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2017 12:29]

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 12:36 - Sep 17 with 1143 viewsswanjackal

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 12:27 - Sep 17 by E20Jack

He was singled out more than any other player and it clearly affected him. Just because it was not a chant sung in unison, don't mistake that as it not being widespread abuse, because it was. This is not something I am looking back on after not knowing at the time. This was something I used to actively dislike and feel uncomfortable with at the time.

I haven't witnessed many things that other people have when in the same vicinity, I just assume that I wasn't paying attention, i most certainly don't claim they imagined it - even more so when many also have the same experience.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2017 12:29]

Widespread racial abuse, or widespread abuse of the player himself though? He did get a lot of abuse, as did Jon Coates at that period of time, more than was justifiable. I'm glad it made you and those who witnessed it uncomfortable, as it would have myself, but as someone who was in the North Bank, didn't see it outside of the odd individual, usually the same ones, doing it (racist slurs in general, not so much Price, but opposition players mainly). Won't get an argument from me about you witnessing some people doing it, just that it wasn't endemic enough for people standing in other areas to witness these individuals.

I would say that it still happens today.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2017 12:37]

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 12:47 - Sep 17 with 1108 viewsE20Jack

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 12:36 - Sep 17 by swanjackal

Widespread racial abuse, or widespread abuse of the player himself though? He did get a lot of abuse, as did Jon Coates at that period of time, more than was justifiable. I'm glad it made you and those who witnessed it uncomfortable, as it would have myself, but as someone who was in the North Bank, didn't see it outside of the odd individual, usually the same ones, doing it (racist slurs in general, not so much Price, but opposition players mainly). Won't get an argument from me about you witnessing some people doing it, just that it wasn't endemic enough for people standing in other areas to witness these individuals.

I would say that it still happens today.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2017 12:37]

Both.

Racist attitudes were rife in the North Bank. Boos were often largely in unison when an opposing black player touched the ball, then came the individual calls of "Zulu!", we are talking maybe 20 odd people brave enough to shout the racism with dozens, possibly hundreds chuckling and smiling at the remarks.

There was a chant at Man City too a few years back when we lost 2-1 up there regarding Yaya Toure amd Ebola, that was also met with widespread laughter.

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 13:04 - Sep 17 with 1085 viewsswanjackal

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 12:47 - Sep 17 by E20Jack

Both.

Racist attitudes were rife in the North Bank. Boos were often largely in unison when an opposing black player touched the ball, then came the individual calls of "Zulu!", we are talking maybe 20 odd people brave enough to shout the racism with dozens, possibly hundreds chuckling and smiling at the remarks.

There was a chant at Man City too a few years back when we lost 2-1 up there regarding Yaya Toure amd Ebola, that was also met with widespread laughter.

In relation to the Price thing, then we have a disagreement on what we define as widespread abuse. 1-10 people in a group of 4-7k actually dispersing racial abuse, I would not class as widespread, very unpleasant, but not widespread. The actual topic we are debating.

In general though, yes, like every club in the league pyramid, we have had racist chants/singular chants at the ground, both down the Vetch, and even Liberty (Sam Hamman chants, Adebayor etc.). Have no arguments there, there are occasional racist shouts/chants at games.

Login to get fewer ads

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 13:08 - Sep 17 with 1078 viewsSwanjaxs

Unfortunately you used to hear all sorts of racial abuse directed at black players from the North Bank back in the day, monkey chants were the norm and people found them quite amusing, remember someone throwing a banana at Luther Blisset from the North Bank when West Brom were visiting! I actually knew the guy who did it and he turned out to be a pillar of the community.... luckily the human race has moved on ... 👍

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 13:17 - Sep 17 with 1067 viewsNeath_Jack

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 13:08 - Sep 17 by Swanjaxs

Unfortunately you used to hear all sorts of racial abuse directed at black players from the North Bank back in the day, monkey chants were the norm and people found them quite amusing, remember someone throwing a banana at Luther Blisset from the North Bank when West Brom were visiting! I actually knew the guy who did it and he turned out to be a pillar of the community.... luckily the human race has moved on ... 👍

Cyril Regis.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 13:19 - Sep 17 with 1061 viewsSwanjaxs

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 13:17 - Sep 17 by Neath_Jack

Cyril Regis.

Ahhh yes qite correct 👍

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 13:22 - Sep 17 with 1053 viewsE20Jack

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 13:04 - Sep 17 by swanjackal

In relation to the Price thing, then we have a disagreement on what we define as widespread abuse. 1-10 people in a group of 4-7k actually dispersing racial abuse, I would not class as widespread, very unpleasant, but not widespread. The actual topic we are debating.

In general though, yes, like every club in the league pyramid, we have had racist chants/singular chants at the ground, both down the Vetch, and even Liberty (Sam Hamman chants, Adebayor etc.). Have no arguments there, there are occasional racist shouts/chants at games.

It most certainly was not 1-10. Laughing at the abuse or joining in is just as bad as instigating and certainly was every bit part of the abuse, and the latter was widespread. Many, many, many have similar memories and have spoken about those times in the past.

The widespread abuse of Jason Price however was largely due to percieved laziness, especially when seployed as right wing back. He was blamed for not being able to sprint at the speed of light, putting a cross in at the byline and then being blamed for not being in the right back position if the ball was cleared and punted forward. This is not normal abuse, it was above and beyond what most players receive.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2017 13:24]

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 13:23 - Sep 17 with 1051 viewsJackflack

Didn't we used to sing, he had a pineapple on his head?

Lets be nice, we're all newbees on here.

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 13:26 - Sep 17 with 1044 viewsE20Jack

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 13:23 - Sep 17 by Jackflack

Didn't we used to sing, he had a pineapple on his head?

I believe so, we stole the chant from the Forest player. David/Jason Lee maybe? rings a bell.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2017 13:28]

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 13:28 - Sep 17 with 1038 viewsNeath_Jack

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 13:26 - Sep 17 by E20Jack

I believe so, we stole the chant from the Forest player. David/Jason Lee maybe? rings a bell.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2017 13:28]

Jason

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 13:29 - Sep 17 with 1036 viewsswanjackal

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 13:22 - Sep 17 by E20Jack

It most certainly was not 1-10. Laughing at the abuse or joining in is just as bad as instigating and certainly was every bit part of the abuse, and the latter was widespread. Many, many, many have similar memories and have spoken about those times in the past.

The widespread abuse of Jason Price however was largely due to percieved laziness, especially when seployed as right wing back. He was blamed for not being able to sprint at the speed of light, putting a cross in at the byline and then being blamed for not being in the right back position if the ball was cleared and punted forward. This is not normal abuse, it was above and beyond what most players receive.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2017 13:24]

At Price?

I'm not talking about other incidents, just the Price abuse.

I have already agreed that some fans have used unpleasant racist chants in general, and it still spans to today, although not as widespread now as swanjaxs points out has declined as society has developed from the extremely bad days of the early 80's.

Post edit edit: So the widespread abuse on Price was due to his perceived footballing ability rather than his skin colour then? I agree with that as that was kind of my main point. As mentioned, Coates had ridiculous abuse towards the end of his first spell at us, as did Lee Jenkins and many others. I
[Post edited 17 Sep 2017 13:33]

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 13:37 - Sep 17 with 1017 viewsE20Jack

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 13:29 - Sep 17 by swanjackal

At Price?

I'm not talking about other incidents, just the Price abuse.

I have already agreed that some fans have used unpleasant racist chants in general, and it still spans to today, although not as widespread now as swanjaxs points out has declined as society has developed from the extremely bad days of the early 80's.

Post edit edit: So the widespread abuse on Price was due to his perceived footballing ability rather than his skin colour then? I agree with that as that was kind of my main point. As mentioned, Coates had ridiculous abuse towards the end of his first spell at us, as did Lee Jenkins and many others. I
[Post edited 17 Sep 2017 13:33]

Price abuse was widespread yes, seemingly to a man. Calling him lazy, useless, get off the pitch etc etc Then you had the individuals shouting such like as "you useless black bastard" which was met with widespread laughter and smiles.

No in my opinion the abuse at Price was not solely to do with his playing ability, he was one of our best attacking threats at the time and was very direct, I believe he was even our top scorer at one point with 6 goals? May be wrong on that. He was a handful. If abuse was being dished out due to ability - or lack of - then he wouldn't be number 1 whipping boy.

Lee Jenkins and Michael Howard were clearly useless, so although unpalatable, its easy to see why they may be targetted for abuse, neither of which faced anything like what Price did mind... Although Howard came closest.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2017 13:41]

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 13:46 - Sep 17 with 998 viewsswanjackal

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 13:37 - Sep 17 by E20Jack

Price abuse was widespread yes, seemingly to a man. Calling him lazy, useless, get off the pitch etc etc Then you had the individuals shouting such like as "you useless black bastard" which was met with widespread laughter and smiles.

No in my opinion the abuse at Price was not solely to do with his playing ability, he was one of our best attacking threats at the time and was very direct, I believe he was even our top scorer at one point with 6 goals? May be wrong on that. He was a handful. If abuse was being dished out due to ability - or lack of - then he wouldn't be number 1 whipping boy.

Lee Jenkins and Michael Howard were clearly useless, so although unpalatable, its easy to see why they may be targetted for abuse, neither of which faced anything like what Price did mind... Although Howard came closest.

As were other players as I have highlighted. Yes, that small group of individuals who brought his skin colour into their abuse were out of order, I can't comment on those you perceive to have been laughing and smiling , as that is purely subjective belief.

So what do you think was the reason for the excess abuse Price took by people who made no point in their criticism bringing up things other than call him poor/shite/useless?

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 13:47 - Sep 17 with 996 viewsDarran

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 13:37 - Sep 17 by E20Jack

Nonsense.

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 13:48 - Sep 17 with 995 viewsE20Jack

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 13:47 - Sep 17 by Darran

Nonsense.

You wouldn't know from the center stand.

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 14:15 - Sep 17 with 962 viewsexiledclaseboy

Can't recall Price being singled out for racial abuse but it was a long time ago so that's not to say it didn't happen. It happened to Jason Scotland and Bony in his early days here as well. The "lazy" epithet is always easier to throw around when it's coupled with racially motivated abuse. Thankfully football and Swans fans have mostly moved on from this nonsense. Although I'm fairly sure we'd still be hearing the shameful "Sam Hammam's a p**i" song if he was still Cardiff's owner. That was never sung by "just a minority" that's for sure.

Poll: Tory leader

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 14:29 - Sep 17 with 938 viewsDarran

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 14:15 - Sep 17 by exiledclaseboy

Can't recall Price being singled out for racial abuse but it was a long time ago so that's not to say it didn't happen. It happened to Jason Scotland and Bony in his early days here as well. The "lazy" epithet is always easier to throw around when it's coupled with racially motivated abuse. Thankfully football and Swans fans have mostly moved on from this nonsense. Although I'm fairly sure we'd still be hearing the shameful "Sam Hammam's a p**i" song if he was still Cardiff's owner. That was never sung by "just a minority" that's for sure.

Nobody's saying there hasn't been racial abuse aimed at our players from our own fans you fool.

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 14:36 - Sep 17 with 930 viewsexiledclaseboy

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 14:29 - Sep 17 by Darran

Nobody's saying there hasn't been racial abuse aimed at our players from our own fans you fool.

I haven't read the whole thread when I saw which way it was heading.

Poll: Tory leader

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 14:57 - Sep 17 with 904 viewsicecoldjack

I never heard jason price being called that but I did hear darran perret get told to fook off back to cardiff quite a bit, not even sure he was from Cardiff either !!

There was one bloke on the north bank who used to call some of our players" eyes and teeth" quite often, "well done eyes and teeth " he'd shout, not sure what it meant, think he was jealous of some of our boys having a good night's sleep and perfect dental health .
Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 15:01 - Sep 17 with 899 viewsDarran

Serious question for people they went to the Vetch on 14:57 - Sep 17 by icecoldjack

I never heard jason price being called that but I did hear darran perret get told to fook off back to cardiff quite a bit, not even sure he was from Cardiff either !!

There was one bloke on the north bank who used to call some of our players" eyes and teeth" quite often, "well done eyes and teeth " he'd shout, not sure what it meant, think he was jealous of some of our boys having a good night's sleep and perfect dental health .

Looks like hardly anyone heard it. lol

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024