Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
God we're boring to watch at the moment 14:13 - Sep 18 with 14169 viewsswancity

Aren't we?

And yes it was a very valuable point at Spurs but hardly deserved. 25-30 goal attempts for them, not one shot on target for us in 90 minutes and an incredible 7 goal attempts only to hit the target in 5 games and when the 'target' is 24 feet by 8 feet that stat takes some believing

But it's a means to an end. And I can see us plodding along to a finish of around 13th which will satisfy everyone. Or will it if the entertainment value and quality of the attacking football is poor?

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 17:32 - Sep 18 with 3270 viewsA_Fans_Dad

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 17:13 - Sep 18 by Private_Partz

I certainly don't want to lose the Premier League status we dreamed of and work so hard to get. Certainly not by trying to play attractive football with a squad that is potentially not up to the task. I say 'potentially' as we could turn into a classy one touch outfit that can spring the trap down the middle and score goals without having to rely on wingers.
For me this could be a long shot though and if it means defensive safety first football in the short to medium term than I will accept it. During this period we can then use the time to rebuild a side that can play the Swansea Way.
And before the Res goes off on one, we may already have that side but at this moment in time I can't honestly nail my colours to the mast and say we have achieved it.....yet.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2017 17:16]

I agree, but unlike the Res, I don't think we are anywhere near it yet.
How can we be, we have not got proven players to play that way.
We have some good looking talented but unproven players in Mesa, Tammy and Sanches who look as if they should be able to do it.
But Mesa isn't getting any game time to prove it.
We have an improved Naughton in both attack & defence, but Ollson seems to have gone backwards since his early games for us. He hardly ever takes on defenders now the way he did when he first came here.
Is it complacency, that he dosn't think he has anything to prove now he is an established first team player?
Bony has already shown he can hold up the ball still and should provide the anchor the others to use, only time will tell if they can in the Prem.
Worryingly PC still thinks Routledge has a place in the team, even when we play defensive football.
God we're boring to watch at the moment on 17:49 - Sep 18 with 3253 viewsswancity

It's an interesting dilemma. Clearly, picking up points is the main priority for us. And for clubs like ours. Grinding out a bore draw is mission accomplished if you like.

But our club has a different way of doing things, our own unique identity. It's to play attractive football and managers like Martinez Rodgers and Laudrup were exponents of the stylish way to play the game. We've changed. We are now just like the rest but is that a bad thing when it's all about results even lucky boring 0-0 draws. We did not deserve anything on Saturday. We defended well but that's about it. We were really out played. We did not 'deserve' a draw.

I have supported the swans since 1971 so have seen lots of different styles. Strangely I thoroughly enjoyed the 1999/2000 season when we hardly scored any goals but ended up winning the League Championship ( now League Two ) by grinding out so many 1-0 wins. But they were wins. And winning is enjoyable. Setting out to scrape a 0-0 draw is not enjoyable or entertaining and it's almost cowardly as the easiest thing to do in football is to pack a defence to stop another team. The hardest and courageous part is to attack, to leave yourself open and to go all out to win games.

The importance of staying in this league has over taken the desire to entertain and it's understandable. But as I said god it's boring.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 18:03 - Sep 18 with 3234 viewsPrivate_Partz

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 17:49 - Sep 18 by swancity

It's an interesting dilemma. Clearly, picking up points is the main priority for us. And for clubs like ours. Grinding out a bore draw is mission accomplished if you like.

But our club has a different way of doing things, our own unique identity. It's to play attractive football and managers like Martinez Rodgers and Laudrup were exponents of the stylish way to play the game. We've changed. We are now just like the rest but is that a bad thing when it's all about results even lucky boring 0-0 draws. We did not deserve anything on Saturday. We defended well but that's about it. We were really out played. We did not 'deserve' a draw.

I have supported the swans since 1971 so have seen lots of different styles. Strangely I thoroughly enjoyed the 1999/2000 season when we hardly scored any goals but ended up winning the League Championship ( now League Two ) by grinding out so many 1-0 wins. But they were wins. And winning is enjoyable. Setting out to scrape a 0-0 draw is not enjoyable or entertaining and it's almost cowardly as the easiest thing to do in football is to pack a defence to stop another team. The hardest and courageous part is to attack, to leave yourself open and to go all out to win games.

The importance of staying in this league has over taken the desire to entertain and it's understandable. But as I said god it's boring.

The main reason for our demise imho has been poor transfer windows and poor management appointments and dismissals. That has to be laid at one man's door.
Sousa was left with a bare cupboard and had to play defensively. The same with Frankie and now Clem.
Because of the lateness of the signings this season we cannot be sure that the new boys will not come good. It could also be that Clem will play a back five against the big boys and a back four against teams that are in 'our league'. It could end up a decent season after all.
On the other hand the new signings will not cut the mustard and we will therefore be reliant on Clem's defensive coaching abilities which will result in grinding out results in an ultra cautious manner. This of course could fail and down we will go.
I hope this is not the case and our new signings will come good and deliver the goods. Mesa is a big worry on that front.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2017 18:04]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 18:21 - Sep 18 with 3216 viewsmonmouth

Ah yes, the fabled "Swansea Way". Clement was sacked because he couldn't do the "Derby Way", whatever the f*ck that is. The Tanned arse is keen on the "Cardiff Way".

What a load of old shit. I would say that what we are seeing now 2013 to 2017 is as much the "Swansea Way" as 2007 to 2013 was. In my time of watching the Swans, the periods of Swansea Way that people quote as folklore truth have been minor statistically insignificant blips.

The current style, beloved of most coaches without 100 million to spend and functional playing squads, is the norm. We got lucky once and had something special on and off the pitch (THAT was the Swansea Way). We threw it away with Monk and Junkins. It's not coming back anytime soon. it can't just be bought or developed to order. It has to be built bottom up, and whoever said it is right, Corporate Hedge Funds are not in the business of giving a shit.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2017 18:23]

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 18:37 - Sep 18 with 3195 views34dfgdf54

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 18:21 - Sep 18 by monmouth

Ah yes, the fabled "Swansea Way". Clement was sacked because he couldn't do the "Derby Way", whatever the f*ck that is. The Tanned arse is keen on the "Cardiff Way".

What a load of old shit. I would say that what we are seeing now 2013 to 2017 is as much the "Swansea Way" as 2007 to 2013 was. In my time of watching the Swans, the periods of Swansea Way that people quote as folklore truth have been minor statistically insignificant blips.

The current style, beloved of most coaches without 100 million to spend and functional playing squads, is the norm. We got lucky once and had something special on and off the pitch (THAT was the Swansea Way). We threw it away with Monk and Junkins. It's not coming back anytime soon. it can't just be bought or developed to order. It has to be built bottom up, and whoever said it is right, Corporate Hedge Funds are not in the business of giving a shit.

That pretty much sums it up.
God we're boring to watch at the moment on 19:13 - Sep 18 with 3161 viewsexiledclaseboy

One thing I wasn't watching our outstanding rearguard action on Saturday night was bored.

Poll: Tory leader

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 19:16 - Sep 18 with 3157 viewsJokeren1943

It is possibly to play attraktive football in Premier League and get enough points to be a middle table team - seem some people think you have to play boring defensive football to survive in the PL.

I think Swansea very different style in the first years in the PL, gave the club an advantage to the other PL club, because it was not only a very attractive style to watch, but was a style so different from what the other midtable teams was use too.

[Post edited 18 Sep 2017 19:22]
God we're boring to watch at the moment on 19:22 - Sep 18 with 3149 viewsjack247

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 19:16 - Sep 18 by Jokeren1943

It is possibly to play attraktive football in Premier League and get enough points to be a middle table team - seem some people think you have to play boring defensive football to survive in the PL.

I think Swansea very different style in the first years in the PL, gave the club an advantage to the other PL club, because it was not only a very attractive style to watch, but was a style so different from what the other midtable teams was use too.

Absolutely true, but it's not that simple.

It'a not easy to build a team who played like we did in the few years before and after promotion. When you've got one, it's quite easy to dismantle it.
Login to get fewer ads

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 19:23 - Sep 18 with 3145 viewsjack247

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 19:13 - Sep 18 by exiledclaseboy

One thing I wasn't watching our outstanding rearguard action on Saturday night was bored.

Very true. It wasn't much fun to watch, but it was certainly not boring.
God we're boring to watch at the moment on 19:46 - Sep 18 with 3118 viewslegoman

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 15:01 - Sep 18 by TheResurrection

I'm sat here wondering if this is the worst posts I've ever read on this site.

First of all it's all about you and what you want or like. No offence here but seriously, who gives a shit?

Secondly you've written off this season when our star striker hasn't even facking started yet.

And thirdly it's like you're almost willing relegation on us in order for you to be able to enjoy your weekends a bit more.

Let me give you a bit of advice. Fack off to cinema on a Saturday afternoon and give your seat to someone with a facking pulse or something.

I can understand the hope for a more attacking style, Jesus we all want that, but this post is just pathetic, it really is.

By the way, anyone know the stats for these games last season? I think that would be a good place to start your moaning posts. Let's see where we are now compared to then?

And to Nige in the OP, You can't tally up all their shots and only use our shots on target. How many did Spurs actually have on target?

Because for all their pressure, we were never really troubled were we? We just did a proper, professional job on them. Italy have been winning world cups like this forever.

Two sides to a game, we're pretty good at the one, let's give the new squad time to get the other side better.

.....and there was me thinking forums were places where people could express opinions. But no, this is the Resurrection Show folks! So don't have an opinion ok?

"M'sieur, you said your dog did not bite!" "That's not my dog"

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 20:03 - Sep 18 with 3085 viewsswan85

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 15:32 - Sep 18 by Mo_Wives

I think some people may be thinking too short term. We have had an unorganised last few seasons, lurching from crisis to crisis. Maybe it's not a bad time to build a solid foundation. Lots of people seem to be mentioning Sousa. I think Sousa's defensive foundations gave Brendan a platform for the next few seasons of success.
So we all want to see attacking football, but it won't be enjoyable if we let in three goals per game from bad defending (unless we score 4). Getting into the habit of keeping clean sheets is a good habit to have....and maybe soon we will build better attacks when Bony and Sanches are up to speed.

Edit - I'm willing to give it two more games...then my toys are coming out of the pram
[Post edited 18 Sep 2017 15:35]

I'm with Mo on this.

My view so far:
1 Southampton- top 8 side, we ground a result and a point that few of us expected. Clean sheet and a point.
2. Man U, serious money spent, in great form and title contenders. Apart from a mad 5 minutes, ok we didn't look like scoring, but take the result on the chin.
3 Crystal Palace - poor team palace, but 3 points and another clean sheet.
4. Newcastle - disappointing this, and I think Clement was very clear he was too.
5. Tottenham away - whether you agree with Merson or not, he reckons they are a serious title contenders. Also against most people's views we came away with another clean sheet and a point, we wouldn't really go toe to toe with these. A bonus this.

So for me, the real points dropped are against Newcastle but gained against Southampton and Spurs. Only if our new signings are match fit and we continue as before will I moan.

Tonight I choose to be positive!
God we're boring to watch at the moment on 20:04 - Sep 18 with 3084 viewsDr_Winston

The thing a lot of people seem to be missing (including Maimone, which is no kind of surprise at all really) is that Clement is in the middle of a rebuilding job. He's had nine months and two transfer windows (one of those only just about) to try and undo three or four years worth of damage. It's not going to happen overnight.

His first task is to make us hard to beat. A draw at a team that could have stuck ten on us last season is a fair indication that things are progressing in that area. Once Bony, Sanches and a couple of others are fully up to speed we should have more of an idea how the Clement revolution is going.

~Edit: Basically what Mo and Monny said.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 20:09 - Sep 18 with 3067 viewsTheResurrection

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 19:13 - Sep 18 by exiledclaseboy

Nor me mate, i stood in my front room moving off the same spot only to fetch another San Miguel. I effed and Jeffed thrown together with a good smattering of worse.

Oh and we more than DESERVED the point. They hardly even gave us any scary moments, that side of our game is bloody impressive, no question about it.

In the footballing world we are minuscule and we have punched so much above our weight and for so long people are actually thinking we're on par enough with these teams to go toe to toe!!

I mean, WTF. FFS people need some perspective as currently we are our own worst enemy.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 20:11 - Sep 18 with 3051 viewsTheResurrection

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 19:16 - Sep 18 by Jokeren1943

Care to list our previous away games at Spurs with a brief report on how we played?

Under Clement we can enjoy both aspects of the game.

But we need patience.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 20:18 - Sep 18 with 3030 viewsTheResurrection

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 19:46 - Sep 18 by legoman

.....and there was me thinking forums were places where people could express opinions. But no, this is the Resurrection Show folks! So don't have an opinion ok?

That was his opinion and i gave mine in reply.

Have you got one you insipid plastic cÛnt?

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 20:33 - Sep 18 with 3010 viewslegoman

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 20:18 - Sep 18 by TheResurrection

That was his opinion and i gave mine in reply.

Have you got one you insipid plastic cÛnt?

oooooh get you.

"M'sieur, you said your dog did not bite!" "That's not my dog"

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 21:46 - Sep 18 with 2950 viewsjackrabbit

This board has one or two foul, abusive and obscene posters who make it a very unpleasant place to visit. I think we should see:

"This post has been edited by an administrator"

....a lot more often. You don't have to look far to see examples of what I refer to. Keyboard trolls - the curse of the message board.
God we're boring to watch at the moment on 22:11 - Sep 18 with 2925 viewsOldjack

say no more ....
[Post edited 18 Sep 2017 22:12]

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 23:05 - Sep 18 with 2857 viewsJoe_bradshaw

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 17:19 - Sep 18 by Loyal

I think what the OP meant was the two away points we have got that we wouldn't have had last season have been boring.

He is entitled to his view about those two nil - nils but on both occasions I have punched the air at the final whistle with joy and was on the edge of my seat throughout both.

I wouldn't have done that at either had we lost 3 - 2 in "thrillers".

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 23:15 - Sep 18 with 2848 viewsbuilthjack

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 21:46 - Sep 18 by jackrabbit

This board has one or two foul, abusive and obscene posters who make it a very unpleasant place to visit. I think we should see:

"This post has been edited by an administrator"

....a lot more often. You don't have to look far to see examples of what I refer to. Keyboard trolls - the curse of the message board.

We need a swear box

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 02:33 - Sep 19 with 2811 viewsLeonWasGod

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 18:21 - Sep 18 by monmouth

Funny how Leeds under Wilkinson weren't known as Howards Way (if anyone's under 45 they won't get this and even fewer will find it funny).
God we're boring to watch at the moment on 04:33 - Sep 19 with 2801 viewsnierika

A 0-0 is exciting AF when you have the draw at 6.6/1 !!
God we're boring to watch at the moment on 04:52 - Sep 19 with 2797 viewsDewi1jack

Personally speaking, I think it was pretty impressive to see us fighting for each other as a TEAM.
PC seems to have got/ is getting that little bit back into us.
That is the bit that made us special over the last 8-10 years until someone in their infinite wisdom allowed Monk to destroy that aspect.
TEAM.

Now due to some woeful attempts at buying players not suitable for us or the PL, Clem doesn't have much to work with.
But he is moulding a TEAM.
Start whining after 10 games if we're not improving our attacking play.

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 07:23 - Sep 19 with 2757 viewsMo_Wives

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 20:04 - Sep 18 by Dr_Winston

The thing a lot of people seem to be missing (including Maimone, which is no kind of surprise at all really) is that Clement is in the middle of a rebuilding job. He's had nine months and two transfer windows (one of those only just about) to try and undo three or four years worth of damage. It's not going to happen overnight.

His first task is to make us hard to beat. A draw at a team that could have stuck ten on us last season is a fair indication that things are progressing in that area. Once Bony, Sanches and a couple of others are fully up to speed we should have more of an idea how the Clement revolution is going.

~Edit: Basically what Mo and Monny said.

This post has been edited by an administrator

A rebuild is a good way to think of it, Doc.

Clement was called in last winter and we showed him the state on the place. Rain coming through big holes in the roof, running down the walls, rusting our league cup, tarnished our photo of the Michael Laudrup with the fantastic hair and made the Brendan Rodgers photo look like it was crying...very symbolic. It was rocking and creaking. We said "keep this thing up through the winter and we'll then have a look". So he plugged gaps and used sticky things to stick things together (no, not snobs or spunk, OK).

Now we have survived the winter and torn down the structure. Clement is now at the stage of installing the foundations and a panic room. I understand people wanting the games room now...I also want the games room now. But the Renato Sanches is just out of the plastic and on charge, while they're still inflating the Wilfried Bony...maybe if we ask nicely, Mr C. may give us a peek at the plans for the games room this week.

Disclaimer: If Mr Clement ends up building a big concrete box, with a big steel door, impossible to break into but without a games room....I will, of course, not be to blame.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2017 7:27]

Good luck, Mr Cooper

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 08:09 - Sep 19 with 2722 viewsValerie

Why are people constantly saying Sansches and Bony are not match fit yet?

Are they coming off serious injury or did they not do pre season training at their former clubs?

I think it's a bit of desperation hoping they are better than we have already seen.

So how long does this "not up to speed" excuse last and why are they not up to speed now?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024