Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
God we're boring to watch at the moment 14:13 - Sep 18 with 14167 viewsswancity

Aren't we?

And yes it was a very valuable point at Spurs but hardly deserved. 25-30 goal attempts for them, not one shot on target for us in 90 minutes and an incredible 7 goal attempts only to hit the target in 5 games and when the 'target' is 24 feet by 8 feet that stat takes some believing

But it's a means to an end. And I can see us plodding along to a finish of around 13th which will satisfy everyone. Or will it if the entertainment value and quality of the attacking football is poor?

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 12:30 - Sep 20 with 1669 viewsNeathJack

Question:

At what point would it cease to be classed as a "work in progress" and actually be accepted as the style Clement wants to play?

10 games? 15? 20? 1 more transfer window? 2 more?
God we're boring to watch at the moment on 12:36 - Sep 20 with 1650 views34dfgdf54

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 12:30 - Sep 20 by NeathJack

Question:

At what point would it cease to be classed as a "work in progress" and actually be accepted as the style Clement wants to play?

What struck me with his interview yesterday, was when he said the goal helped us, we could then focus on the defending.

I haven't got a problem with it personally, it's a results business and he will play the way he feels fit to get us the results. The free flowing football of the Martinez, Rodgers and Laudrup era have gone, Monk put pay to that alongside the transfer dealings of Huw & co.
God we're boring to watch at the moment on 13:06 - Sep 20 with 1592 viewsswancity

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 10:47 - Sep 20 by TheResurrection

It's not a crime, I'm sure most of us want this, but it's a bit spoilt innit, you know like we're still in September and our new signings have literally had no time at all to bed in yet.

We've not seen Tammy with Bony on the same pitch. Mesa who looked superb last night has had limited first team action, Ayew who's arguably been our best performer to slot in around the multitude of options open to us. Clucas was a dynamic box to box player for Hull last season I think is being played out of position at the bottom of the diamond and our bench is loads stronger.

People have forgotten who we are as a club and while no team should stand still. It's still prudent to keep our feet on the ground a bit.

None of that is being disputed

This discussion is about the negative and defensive approach from our team and the obvious emphasis on setting up so defensively even at home. Clement certainly is good at organising a defensive structure and mentality but there should be a lot more to us than that. Hopefully things will evolve and improve when certain players settle in.

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 13:17 - Sep 20 with 1576 viewsswancity

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 12:36 - Sep 20 by 34dfgdf54

What struck me with his interview yesterday, was when he said the goal helped us, we could then focus on the defending.

I haven't got a problem with it personally, it's a results business and he will play the way he feels fit to get us the results. The free flowing football of the Martinez, Rodgers and Laudrup era have gone, Monk put pay to that alongside the transfer dealings of Huw & co.

Not necessarily. Martinez changed our playing style over night. A team huffing and puffing under Jackett and devoid of attacking ideas were transformed immediately into a team that played good positive attacking football with instantly improved results too. It all depends on the approach and strengths of the Manager, our present manager seems to be (very) strong in the defensive aspects of the game.

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 15:12 - Sep 20 with 1488 viewsSmellyplumz

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 10:47 - Sep 20 by TheResurrection

It's not a crime, I'm sure most of us want this, but it's a bit spoilt innit, you know like we're still in September and our new signings have literally had no time at all to bed in yet.

We've not seen Tammy with Bony on the same pitch. Mesa who looked superb last night has had limited first team action, Ayew who's arguably been our best performer to slot in around the multitude of options open to us. Clucas was a dynamic box to box player for Hull last season I think is being played out of position at the bottom of the diamond and our bench is loads stronger.

People have forgotten who we are as a club and while no team should stand still. It's still prudent to keep our feet on the ground a bit.

I have high standards and expectations and I won't apologise for that, I've seen how we can play with a good manager.

""Although I cannot promise or predict the future, I can guarantee one thing - the current board of directors will always fight, as we have done over the last 12 years, to work together as one with the Supporters Trust to make 100% sure that Swansea City football club remains the number one priority in all our thoughts and in every decision we make."
Poll: Huw Jenkins

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 15:44 - Sep 20 with 1458 viewsjack247

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 13:17 - Sep 20 by swancity

Not necessarily. Martinez changed our playing style over night. A team huffing and puffing under Jackett and devoid of attacking ideas were transformed immediately into a team that played good positive attacking football with instantly improved results too. It all depends on the approach and strengths of the Manager, our present manager seems to be (very) strong in the defensive aspects of the game.

It also depends on what level you're playing at. I'm not saying it's easy, but it's a lot easier to scout and recruit players suited to that way of playing in League One than it would be now.

Yes, structure and organisation are Clements fortes. That doesn't mean we won't attack with flair, but I can't see is ever playing like a Martinez team under him.
God we're boring to watch at the moment on 15:57 - Sep 20 with 1446 viewsmonmouth

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 15:44 - Sep 20 by jack247

It also depends on what level you're playing at. I'm not saying it's easy, but it's a lot easier to scout and recruit players suited to that way of playing in League One than it would be now.

Yes, structure and organisation are Clements fortes. That doesn't mean we won't attack with flair, but I can't see is ever playing like a Martinez team under him.

Thank God. If we played like a Martinez team we'd go the same way as Wigan.

He just needs to get the balance right. If we could get ourselves to sold mid table after 15-20 games, looking quite secure, then I think you might see a change in that balance. Until then, I'd be surprised to see us do anything beyond try and eke out the points. Saturday will be interesting. Watford are no pushover.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 16:29 - Sep 20 with 1410 viewsswancity

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 15:57 - Sep 20 by monmouth

Thank God. If we played like a Martinez team we'd go the same way as Wigan.

He just needs to get the balance right. If we could get ourselves to sold mid table after 15-20 games, looking quite secure, then I think you might see a change in that balance. Until then, I'd be surprised to see us do anything beyond try and eke out the points. Saturday will be interesting. Watford are no pushover.

May be, may be not.

But how about if we played like a Rodgers team or a Laudrup team? Now we're talking. I think most would agree our squad now is stronger and better equipped than our 1st season at this level.

As it is we are playing like a Clement team. We can see what involves.

Login to get fewer ads

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 16:49 - Sep 20 with 1395 viewsjack247

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 16:29 - Sep 20 by swancity

May be, may be not.

But how about if we played like a Rodgers team or a Laudrup team? Now we're talking. I think most would agree our squad now is stronger and better equipped than our 1st season at this level.

As it is we are playing like a Clement team. We can see what involves.

I think A fans dad said the other day it's a results business more than an entertainment business these days. We'd all love to be tearing teams apart with triangles, but all our owners are really going to care about is avoiding relegation. Paul Clement will do that the best way he sees fit.
God we're boring to watch at the moment on 17:32 - Sep 20 with 1358 viewsswancity

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 16:49 - Sep 20 by jack247

I think A fans dad said the other day it's a results business more than an entertainment business these days. We'd all love to be tearing teams apart with triangles, but all our owners are really going to care about is avoiding relegation. Paul Clement will do that the best way he sees fit.

Indeed and by doing what's he's good which is to maximise defensive capability and strength. If that keeps us up in 17th then mission accomplished.

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 21:45 - Sep 20 with 1307 viewsCroftyjack

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 12:36 - Sep 20 by 34dfgdf54

You understand what most are thinking like myself...our first 3 or 4 seasons seasons were our best when arguably they should have been our seasons to be like we are now...into 7 seasons the work in progress should see us being more adventurous with plenty of experience to know how to get points against the teams around us and the better teams.
We are playing now like we just got promoted..defend this all you like we have not made any strides have we(forwards anyway)
God we're boring to watch at the moment on 08:07 - Sep 21 with 1258 viewsMo_Wives

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 21:45 - Sep 20 by Croftyjack

You understand what most are thinking like myself...our first 3 or 4 seasons seasons were our best when arguably they should have been our seasons to be like we are now...into 7 seasons the work in progress should see us being more adventurous with plenty of experience to know how to get points against the teams around us and the better teams.
We are playing now like we just got promoted..defend this all you like we have not made any strides have we(forwards anyway)

I agree with everything you say. What happened was we came up as a well run club, then after a couple of seasons everything went haywire through bad decisions. We can't go back and change those decisions, we can only react and adapt in this moment and plan for the future. Maybe we are playing like a team that conceded 465 goals in the first half of last season...going back to basics. Boring? yes....necessary? maybe. But I feel if we didn't get the players into good defensive habits, we would continue circling the drain until we fell through. I don't think Clement will ever be a gung ho, entertainment first manager. But I do believe he will stabilise us and give us a solid base going forward (in time...not on the pitch) which I think we need at this time. I may be wrong, but I believe if we had someone like Martinez in charge now, we would be f*cked. I know it doesn't have to be one or the other, but at this point in time I would choose Clement. Martinez could come in behind Clement and have us playing exciting, winning football, Because like his first season at Everton following Moyes, he would benefit from inheriting a strong defence (before destroying it the year after). But I do agree. The ideal is to find a balance between strong defence and exciting attack.

Good luck, Mr Cooper

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 08:45 - Sep 21 with 1234 viewsmonmouth

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 08:07 - Sep 21 by Mo_Wives

I agree with everything you say. What happened was we came up as a well run club, then after a couple of seasons everything went haywire through bad decisions. We can't go back and change those decisions, we can only react and adapt in this moment and plan for the future. Maybe we are playing like a team that conceded 465 goals in the first half of last season...going back to basics. Boring? yes....necessary? maybe. But I feel if we didn't get the players into good defensive habits, we would continue circling the drain until we fell through. I don't think Clement will ever be a gung ho, entertainment first manager. But I do believe he will stabilise us and give us a solid base going forward (in time...not on the pitch) which I think we need at this time. I may be wrong, but I believe if we had someone like Martinez in charge now, we would be f*cked. I know it doesn't have to be one or the other, but at this point in time I would choose Clement. Martinez could come in behind Clement and have us playing exciting, winning football, Because like his first season at Everton following Moyes, he would benefit from inheriting a strong defence (before destroying it the year after). But I do agree. The ideal is to find a balance between strong defence and exciting attack.

Yes, it's easy to forget that we were on for a goals against record under the bald eagle. This felt necessary last season and does this. The teams that go down generally have the worst goal differences come May.

We need to win some matches, so we do need to score now and again. Boro went down because they couldn't score and couldn't maintain the early season defensive solidity. It'll be interesting i.e. Not boring simply to watch how this develops and plays out.

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 08:58 - Sep 21 with 1221 viewsMeraki

I think this is just how Clement's teams play - I wouldn't expect much of a change throughout the rest of the season.

We'll defend well and pick up points when we can.
God we're boring to watch at the moment on 09:01 - Sep 21 with 1216 viewspencoedjack

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 12:30 - Sep 20 by NeathJack

Question:

Fast flowing football by pencoedjack 10 Sep 2017 18:10
Still waiting

Between 4 & 7 games after Newcastle although I get the feeling the Res is starting to back track on the 'fast free flowing football' he predicted we would be watching after the sales of Siggy & Llorente.

More like we should just be happy to be playing in the PL
God we're boring to watch at the moment on 09:54 - Sep 21 with 1186 viewsJesuswasaJack

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 21:45 - Sep 20 by Croftyjack

Another point which I don't think anyone has made yet, is that the other teams have strengthened quite a bit since we came up, perhaps more effectively than us. Mid table teams typically have far stronger squads than they had when we came up and the teams that come up from the championship are also stronger than before. There are no easy games is a cliché, but it's never been more true than right now. Clement recognises this and that is why we will need to grind out points for a while.
God we're boring to watch at the moment on 10:34 - Sep 21 with 1162 viewsTheResurrection

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 09:01 - Sep 21 by pencoedjack

Fast flowing football by pencoedjack 10 Sep 2017 18:10
Still waiting

Between 4 & 7 games after Newcastle although I get the feeling the Res is starting to back track on the 'fast free flowing football' he predicted we would be watching after the sales of Siggy & Llorente.

More like we should just be happy to be playing in the PL

So the below is what I said in that thread...

""We'll be better against Spurs, we'll be 5 at the back and organised.

Straight answer on when we'll see a real team performing for us? 4, 5, 6, 7, enough for them to cut some teeth, for Clem to see where things are working/not working.

Maybe you'd like us to go the whole season?""

So another good post from me. I see a trend.

Can anyone argue with this? I know Mark Pencoed has a massive hard on for me at the moment but the team still needs time to gel and click.

As for the free, flowing football, I'm still hopeful we'll see big improvement on what we've seen so far. I find the majority of idiot posters would rather us struggle though just so they can come on here and make facetious remarks.

Because why else would they chip away when our recent signings haven't bedded in yet or even started in the league.

Clement could be the blocker to my hopes of FFF but the comeback of anything to do with Siggy or Llorente just doesn't stack up. I will assure you, however, that we will be better than last season with the change in personnel. That could've been better had we signed a Chadli I think. That extra dimension and other option could have only helped in this area.

There's another winnable game to look forward to, they've had a good start but they've been roughed up the last game which would be nice to take advantage of. We're another game down the line in terms of our development and players getting used to each other so great chance to perform.

We should be embracing the new challenges, not moaning like little girls.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 11:00 - Sep 21 with 1140 viewspencoedjack

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 10:34 - Sep 21 by TheResurrection

So the below is what I said in that thread...

""We'll be better against Spurs, we'll be 5 at the back and organised.

Straight answer on when we'll see a real team performing for us? 4, 5, 6, 7, enough for them to cut some teeth, for Clem to see where things are working/not working.

Maybe you'd like us to go the whole season?""

So another good post from me. I see a trend.

Can anyone argue with this? I know Mark Pencoed has a massive hard on for me at the moment but the team still needs time to gel and click.

As for the free, flowing football, I'm still hopeful we'll see big improvement on what we've seen so far. I find the majority of idiot posters would rather us struggle though just so they can come on here and make facetious remarks.

Because why else would they chip away when our recent signings haven't bedded in yet or even started in the league.

Clement could be the blocker to my hopes of FFF but the comeback of anything to do with Siggy or Llorente just doesn't stack up. I will assure you, however, that we will be better than last season with the change in personnel. That could've been better had we signed a Chadli I think. That extra dimension and other option could have only helped in this area.

There's another winnable game to look forward to, they've had a good start but they've been roughed up the last game which would be nice to take advantage of. We're another game down the line in terms of our development and players getting used to each other so great chance to perform.

We should be embracing the new challenges, not moaning like little girls.

Nice back tracking on the FFF Chrissy.

When it comes to your posts mate I'd say impotent rather than hard on material
God we're boring to watch at the moment on 11:30 - Sep 21 with 1121 viewsTheResurrection

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 11:00 - Sep 21 by pencoedjack

Nice back tracking on the FFF Chrissy.

When it comes to your posts mate I'd say impotent rather than hard on material

No backtracking.

Just patience.

Crack one off.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 11:35 - Sep 21 with 1111 viewsE20Jack

There is no back tracking from what I can see.

I dont want to speak for anyone but The Res clearly was talking in general terms. Over the season we will be a more free flowing attractive side to watch. We are still going to have to be backs against the wall against the big guns away from home, to think otherwise is just mental.

Its going to take some time to get there, I would say around Xmas time we will be firing on all cylinders with players knowing their role and settling into this relatively new formation. To take a single game and attribute it to a general statement designed to look much further than 90 mins is disingenuous in my opinion.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2017 11:37]

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 11:50 - Sep 21 with 1097 viewsKulusBeatFactory

Boring ? absolutely not. On the contrary. In every Swans game for me it is:

- exciting, edge of the seat, often nail-biting
- intriguing - how the team builds and maintains shape
- full of expectation - when our x-factor players get the ball (bony. ayew, Tammy, Sanches, Olsson, etc etc etc), building from the solid foundations established at the back
- etc

Some perspective wouldnt go amiss - fully expected this type of thread from plastics; disappointed that it isnt
God we're boring to watch at the moment on 12:41 - Sep 21 with 1064 viewsJinxy

My dear old late dad used to say that the best sides are built from the back, and I have always agreed with him. Rome wasn't built in a day, and many things needed fixing in my view, including dependency on one or two players. The defense is a good place to start. Personally I'm excited to see how we will develop this season.
God we're boring to watch at the moment on 18:33 - Sep 21 with 989 viewsMeraki

There is no way we are going to get free flowing football from Clement - it's not his game.
God we're boring to watch at the moment on 18:38 - Sep 21 with 988 viewsmonmouth

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 11:50 - Sep 21 by KulusBeatFactory

Boring ? absolutely not. On the contrary. In every Swans game for me it is:

- exciting, edge of the seat, often nail-biting
- intriguing - how the team builds and maintains shape
- full of expectation - when our x-factor players get the ball (bony. ayew, Tammy, Sanches, Olsson, etc etc etc), building from the solid foundations established at the back
- etc

Some perspective wouldnt go amiss - fully expected this type of thread from plastics; disappointed that it isnt

Very true. Etc etc etc had me on my feet with excitement. Great player.

God we're boring to watch at the moment on 19:18 - Sep 21 with 965 viewsexiledclaseboy

I've always enjoyed how Swans fans get dewy eyed and nostalgic about a glorious past that never really existed. We had complaints of boring football when Rodgers was here, and Laudrup. And certainly Monk. Guidolin too. There was nothing borng about Bradley's tenure though be fair. Conceding multiple goals every week isn't boring, just traumatic.

In short, we essentially just keep repeating the same things season in, season out. Only the names change.

Poll: Tory leader

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024