Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Growing up Black in Wales 19:10 - Sep 18 with 3907 viewsDarran

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/i-used-cry-myself-sleep-13624866

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Growing up Black in Wales on 21:19 - Sep 18 with 2098 viewsjack2jack

If there are fellow countrymen of mine who could treat this lady and her family in such a way, then I'm ashamed to be Welsh,disgraceful.
And that is not up for debate.
Growing up Black in Wales on 11:37 - Sep 19 with 1921 viewsCountyJim

I was speaking to a bloke that came over here in the early 70s from St Kitts he and his wife where spat on in the street called all sorts its disgusting

He does say these days mind its a lot better
Growing up Black in Wales on 11:54 - Sep 19 with 1902 views1983

My Brother died when he was 6
Two of my close friends died tragically when they were 11
I use to cry myself to sleep when I used to hear my old fella come home drunk most nights screaming at my mother and throwing his food across the living room.
I was bullied in schoolboy by "a teacher" and would get slippered regularly.
My best friend died when he was only 22
I had to watch my alcoholic old fella die slowly in intensive care after being told 12 months earlier if he didn't stop drinking he will die.

Who do I email my sob story to please?

Growing up Black in Wales on 12:49 - Sep 19 with 1847 viewsMo_Wives

She said, and I quote...
"but I do think that we need to educate people on the history of slavery."

I strongly agree with this. It seems most people get their view of slavery from the TV series 'Roots' (which Alex Haley plagiarised from the 1967 book 'The African', by white author Hal Courlander...but shhhh, don't say nothing, OK) It seems today people think slavery was committed only by white people on black people in America.

Maybe we could educate people that the word slave comes from the word 'Slav'...as in Slavic people (white people) who were used as slaves by Muslims.

Maybe we could educate people that white people were not running around the Congo with f*cking butterfly nets catching black people. They were turning up at African ports and doing business deals with BLACK, African slave traders for their goods (human cargo) They were buying people who were already slaves (not that that's an excuse)

Maybe we could educate people that slavery has existed since the beginning of time and has been used by all races. So if white people need to feel guilty for it, then so do all the rest of the 'people of colour'....and get this...you're gonna love this....guess who ended slavery first? Yep, white people. And guess where it's still doing a healthy trade?...Africa and the middle east.

Maybe we could educate people how horrific slavery was/is. How it's in no way on par with a few men 'blacking up' for fancy dress. And so maybe the really offensive thing is people invoking slavery to make an argument against 'blacking up'...that's what, if anything, should be offending people, IMO
[Post edited 19 Sep 2017 13:03]

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Growing up Black in Wales on 13:17 - Sep 19 with 1796 viewsoldcob

Welsh people were also used as slaves on the cotton plantations in the southern states of the USA. They were know as 'white slaves' and usually used as plantation supervisors or overseers. When the African slaves had babies their surname was taken from the overseers surname, as surnames were not generally used by the African slaves. Hence the reason why so many African American people have names like Williams, Davies, Lewis etc. The white slaves had separate accommodation from the African slaves and treated far better, but were never paid other than food, clothing and somewhere to live.
Growing up Black in Wales on 13:36 - Sep 19 with 1763 viewsKilkennyjack

Growing up Black in Wales on 13:17 - Sep 19 by oldcob

Welsh people were also used as slaves on the cotton plantations in the southern states of the USA. They were know as 'white slaves' and usually used as plantation supervisors or overseers. When the African slaves had babies their surname was taken from the overseers surname, as surnames were not generally used by the African slaves. Hence the reason why so many African American people have names like Williams, Davies, Lewis etc. The white slaves had separate accommodation from the African slaves and treated far better, but were never paid other than food, clothing and somewhere to live.

Not likely to be true.

More likely the very many welsh surnames relate to a shared faith - and were willingly taken and retained.

Beware of the Risen People

Growing up Black in Wales on 13:46 - Sep 19 with 1754 viewsDarran

Growing up Black in Wales on 11:54 - Sep 19 by 1983

My Brother died when he was 6
Two of my close friends died tragically when they were 11
I use to cry myself to sleep when I used to hear my old fella come home drunk most nights screaming at my mother and throwing his food across the living room.
I was bullied in schoolboy by "a teacher" and would get slippered regularly.
My best friend died when he was only 22
I had to watch my alcoholic old fella die slowly in intensive care after being told 12 months earlier if he didn't stop drinking he will die.

Who do I email my sob story to please?

I'm here for you my friend.

Growing up Black in Wales on 13:57 - Sep 19 with 1736 viewsMo_Wives

Growing up Black in Wales on 13:17 - Sep 19 by oldcob

I think the Irish were also used in the north (pasty, white, freckled skin doesn't do well in the deep south.)
Although I'm not absolutely sure about this. Haven't looked into it.

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Login to get fewer ads

Growing up Black in Wales on 14:02 - Sep 19 with 1723 viewsMo_Wives

Growing up Black in Wales on 13:46 - Sep 19 by Darran

They say you're a c*nt...I don't believe them, TBH

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Growing up Black in Wales on 14:08 - Sep 19 with 1714 viewsDarran

Growing up Black in Wales on 14:02 - Sep 19 by Mo_Wives

They say you're a c*nt...I don't believe them, TBH

Who are they?

Growing up Black in Wales on 14:12 - Sep 19 with 1711 viewsMo_Wives

Growing up Black in Wales on 14:08 - Sep 19 by Darran

Who are they?

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Growing up Black in Wales on 14:13 - Sep 19 with 1708 viewsDarran

Growing up Black in Wales on 14:12 - Sep 19 by Mo_Wives

I see.

Growing up Black in Wales on 14:19 - Sep 19 with 1699 viewsMo_Wives

Growing up Black in Wales on 14:13 - Sep 19 by Darran

I see.

Say no more. You don't want them sticking a banana up your tail pipe...the Bentley, I mean. That wasn't a euphemism.

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Growing up Black in Wales on 14:38 - Sep 19 with 1682 viewsSirjohnalot

She's on twitter, I've sent her a message wishing her well. Nice to show we are not all nasty, racist dickheads.
Growing up Black in Wales on 14:42 - Sep 19 with 1678 viewsMo_Wives

Growing up Black in Wales

The Story of the Kids of the Coal Mines

New book I'm working on

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Growing up Black in Wales on 14:46 - Sep 19 with 1675 viewsMo_Wives

Growing up Black in Wales on 14:38 - Sep 19 by Sirjohnalot

She's on twitter, I've sent her a message wishing her well. Nice to show we are not all nasty, racist dickheads.

Well done, you. You deserve this...

Sir Johnalott (White Knight of the round table)
[Post edited 19 Sep 2017 14:51]

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Growing up Black in Wales on 15:02 - Sep 19 with 1661 viewsSirjohnalot

Growing up Black in Wales on 14:46 - Sep 19 by Mo_Wives

Well done, you. You deserve this...

Sir Johnalott (White Knight of the round table)
[Post edited 19 Sep 2017 14:51]

Don't believe a word of it mate, I'm a stinky, 'orrible, lawyer type.
Growing up Black in Wales on 15:03 - Sep 19 with 1659 viewsoldcob

Growing up Black in Wales on 13:36 - Sep 19 by Kilkennyjack

Not likely to be true.

More likely the very many welsh surnames relate to a shared faith - and were willingly taken and retained.

It is fact. A fact I read whilst in America. It was in a book, the title of which I forget, about young black kids in Harlem trying their hardest to keep out of the black gangs, but were being persecuted by a vicious Irish (no offence Kilkenny) cop who kept reminding them of their roots, and how they were inferior because of their history serving the white man as slaves. There was a reference to 'white slaves' from Wales. Surprised me a bit being an American book as most people out there have either never heard of Wales or think its an English county. That's what made it stick in my mind.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2017 15:16]
Growing up Black in Wales on 15:10 - Sep 19 with 1643 viewsMo_Wives

Growing up Black in Wales on 15:02 - Sep 19 by Sirjohnalot

Don't believe a word of it mate, I'm a stinky, 'orrible, lawyer type.

Well, I'll say one thing for you John...you took it on the chin and didn't cry. I can respect that.

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Growing up Black in Wales on 15:19 - Sep 19 with 1632 viewsSirjohnalot

I'm a short arse, Welshman, with big ears living in England, got thick skin.

Take a lot more than that to offend me.
Growing up Black in Wales on 15:22 - Sep 19 with 1625 viewsMo_Wives

Growing up Black in Wales on 15:19 - Sep 19 by Sirjohnalot

Wait till you see the float in next years Aberaeron carnival

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Growing up Black in Wales on 15:24 - Sep 19 with 1619 viewsoldcob

Growing up Black in Wales on 15:19 - Sep 19 by Sirjohnalot

My cousin lived in England for ten years, in a place called Pentonville I think it was. He was allowed visitors but for some reason would never visit us.
Growing up Black in Wales on 15:29 - Sep 19 with 1610 views1983

Growing up Black in Wales on 13:46 - Sep 19 by Darran

No need my friend I'm a grown up and play the cards I'm dealt with and find myself very lucky my home is not being bombed left right and centre, I have my health and food on the table.

Growing up Black in Wales on 15:40 - Sep 19 with 1588 viewsDarran

Growing up Black in Wales on 15:29 - Sep 19 by 1983

No need my friend I'm a grown up and play the cards I'm dealt with and find myself very lucky my home is not being bombed left right and centre, I have my health and food on the table.

Stop moaning.

Growing up Black in Wales on 16:52 - Sep 19 with 1523 viewsMeraki

Growing up Black in Wales on 15:03 - Sep 19 by oldcob

It is fact. A fact I read whilst in America. It was in a book, the title of which I forget, about young black kids in Harlem trying their hardest to keep out of the black gangs, but were being persecuted by a vicious Irish (no offence Kilkenny) cop who kept reminding them of their roots, and how they were inferior because of their history serving the white man as slaves. There was a reference to 'white slaves' from Wales. Surprised me a bit being an American book as most people out there have either never heard of Wales or think its an English county. That's what made it stick in my mind.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2017 15:16]

Are you sure this is a fact, I'm quite interested in this subject but can't find anything about "white slaves from Wales."
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024