Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Growing up Black in Wales 19:10 - Sep 18 with 3906 viewsDarran

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/i-used-cry-myself-sleep-13624866

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Growing up Black in Wales on 17:04 - Sep 19 with 1731 viewsoldcob

Growing up Black in Wales on 16:52 - Sep 19 by Meraki

Are you sure this is a fact, I'm quite interested in this subject but can't find anything about "white slaves from Wales."

It is what I read. I haven't had reason to doubt it. There were many Welsh people who emigrated over there. Philadephia in the Morning and all that.
Growing up Black in Wales on 17:12 - Sep 19 with 1717 viewsMo_Wives

Growing up Black in Wales on 17:04 - Sep 19 by oldcob

It is what I read. I haven't had reason to doubt it. There were many Welsh people who emigrated over there. Philadephia in the Morning and all that.

I think it may have been to do with the lesser known wool slave trade, rather than the cotton slave trade. They would take Welsh people out there and slaves would pick wool from between their teeth and out of their pubic hair...due to their 'activities' with the sheep, you see

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Growing up Black in Wales on 17:39 - Sep 19 with 1676 viewsoldcob

Are you sure this is a fact, I'm quite interested in this subject but can't find anything about "white slaves from Wales."

Meraki, I just googled Welsh Americans on Wiki and scrolled down to Southern United States, there it explains the slaves took the names of the slave-holders. Don't know if slave holders were owners or overseers. Spatacus Educational also gives evidence of nearly 10% of people in the souther states having Welsh names. If you are interested in the subject Spartacus Education may be of some interest to you.

Edit: Better still log on to Welsh in America and Slavery. I love to be right, even if its only 90%
[Post edited 19 Sep 2017 17:44]
Growing up Black in Wales on 17:53 - Sep 19 with 1660 viewsMeraki

Growing up Black in Wales on 17:39 - Sep 19 by oldcob

Meraki, I just googled Welsh Americans on Wiki and scrolled down to Southern United States, there it explains the slaves took the names of the slave-holders. Don't know if slave holders were owners or overseers. Spatacus Educational also gives evidence of nearly 10% of people in the souther states having Welsh names. If you are interested in the subject Spartacus Education may be of some interest to you.

Edit: Better still log on to Welsh in America and Slavery. I love to be right, even if its only 90%
[Post edited 19 Sep 2017 17:44]

I misinterpreted your original post - I thought you meant there were Welsh slaves.

I am aware that there were Welsh slave owners - bit of a difference :)
[Post edited 19 Sep 2017 17:53]
Growing up Black in Wales on 17:58 - Sep 19 with 1654 viewsoldcob

Growing up Black in Wales on 17:53 - Sep 19 by Meraki

I misinterpreted your original post - I thought you meant there were Welsh slaves.

I am aware that there were Welsh slave owners - bit of a difference :)
[Post edited 19 Sep 2017 17:53]

My fault. Didn't make it clear. The book I read stated they were "called" white slaves by the other slaves. Although it was a novel so maybe a little license was used.
Though it would make sense if they were Welsh owners, they would employ other Welsh people as overseers. Once we pass Newport we stick together like flies on crap.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2017 18:23]
Growing up Black in Wales on 19:09 - Sep 19 with 1594 viewsKilkennyjack

Growing up Black in Wales on 17:58 - Sep 19 by oldcob

My fault. Didn't make it clear. The book I read stated they were "called" white slaves by the other slaves. Although it was a novel so maybe a little license was used.
Though it would make sense if they were Welsh owners, they would employ other Welsh people as overseers. Once we pass Newport we stick together like flies on crap.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2017 18:23]

Sorry that makes no sense to me.

The welsh were not big slave owners.
Why would the slaves take the names of hated slave owners ?

The shared faith is a much stronger story.
They took the surnames of the welsh clergy with whom they shared a faith.
For whats its worth, i read that theory as well some years ago.

And forget the recent dixieland stars and bars flag debate, the real flag that flew over the slave ships was the union jack....

Beware of the Risen People

Growing up Black in Wales on 20:18 - Sep 19 with 1563 viewsLohengrin

Right-o , I've just got in from work and read this thread. By virtue of the wealth of near useless information I carry around in my noggin and with every room in the house bursting at the seams with books I know exactly what he's talking about, mate.

When Oldcob spoke of white slaves in the Americas don't get carried away with pictures conjured in your mind's eye about Uncle Tom's Cabin he's making reference to the system of 'Indentured Service' or 'Indentured Servitude'. It has been academically estimated that somewhere in the region of three quarters of all 'white', that is to say British and northern European arrivals in North America, between the early 1600s and the Revolutionary War made passage under the aegis of Indenture.

How did it work? Basically like this: cost of transport to the New World being so astronomically high at the time, way beyond the reach of the common man, passage was sponsored by the wealthier landowners and producers of the thirteen colonies on condition that the passengers sign a contract of employment for a set period in order to pay off the passage. Length of contract varied, as did the employment undertaken. Upon completion of service the Indenturee(s) were free to move on and do as they pleased. Slavery it wasn't though a form of debt bondage it may well have been. Times were hard but there was always a light at the end of the tunnel few negroes got to see.

Here you go boys and girls....

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Growing up Black in Wales on 20:20 - Sep 19 with 1559 viewsMeraki

Growing up Black in Wales on 20:18 - Sep 19 by Lohengrin

Right-o , I've just got in from work and read this thread. By virtue of the wealth of near useless information I carry around in my noggin and with every room in the house bursting at the seams with books I know exactly what he's talking about, mate.

When Oldcob spoke of white slaves in the Americas don't get carried away with pictures conjured in your mind's eye about Uncle Tom's Cabin he's making reference to the system of 'Indentured Service' or 'Indentured Servitude'. It has been academically estimated that somewhere in the region of three quarters of all 'white', that is to say British and northern European arrivals in North America, between the early 1600s and the Revolutionary War made passage under the aegis of Indenture.

How did it work? Basically like this: cost of transport to the New World being so astronomically high at the time, way beyond the reach of the common man, passage was sponsored by the wealthier landowners and producers of the thirteen colonies on condition that the passengers sign a contract of employment for a set period in order to pay off the passage. Length of contract varied, as did the employment undertaken. Upon completion of service the Indenturee(s) were free to move on and do as they pleased. Slavery it wasn't though a form of debt bondage it may well have been. Times were hard but there was always a light at the end of the tunnel few negroes got to see.

I've have a look into all that after we win this match :)

Cheers!
Login to get fewer ads

Growing up Black in Wales on 22:24 - Sep 19 with 1510 viewsoldcob

Growing up Black in Wales on 20:18 - Sep 19 by Lohengrin

Thanks Loh. Bloody hell mun, I sat through Uncle Remus three times.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024