Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Couch to 5k 19:18 - Sep 19 with 6752 viewscsf

So my cycling has come to an end for the winter as the dark mornings set in. Weight loss is going well so wanted to keep the activity going. Decided to try some running. Downloaded a C25k app with Michael Johnson as the voice/coach. Can probably do a bit more, but on our first run today, but this morning managed to get me my wife and our boy out at 6am!
Enjooyed doing it together and if they don't come out can do a longer run.

Anybody done a C25k?
Couch to 5k on 19:26 - Sep 19 with 5934 viewsJackfath

Great stuff. Hard part is the keeping on keeping on. Good luck to you all.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Couch to 5k on 19:29 - Sep 19 with 5928 viewsNeath_Jack

Every year i try to take up running and after the 3rd or 4th run i get incredible pain in both knees, gutted.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Couch to 5k on 19:42 - Sep 19 with 5905 viewsmax936

Couch to 5k on 19:29 - Sep 19 by Neath_Jack

Every year i try to take up running and after the 3rd or 4th run i get incredible pain in both knees, gutted.

I'm told this stuff works NJ, might be worth a read

https://www.jointhealthmagazine.com/vital-3.html

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Couch to 5k on 23:10 - Sep 19 with 5816 viewsowainglyndwr

Couch to 5k on 19:42 - Sep 19 by max936

I'm told this stuff works NJ, might be worth a read

https://www.jointhealthmagazine.com/vital-3.html

Long term running is no good for your knee joints as you get older.
Swimming and cycling is the way to go.
Couch to 5k on 23:16 - Sep 19 with 5807 viewsmax936

Couch to 5k on 23:10 - Sep 19 by owainglyndwr

You need to move those pedals then and keep out of the play pool, Tub's

Aberavon beach, is the place to run, roads and streets are a no . no.

Couch to 5k on 23:22 - Sep 19 with 5797 viewsmonmouth

Couch to 5k on 23:10 - Sep 19 by owainglyndwr

Aye that does worry me. Been runningmostly on roads now for 37 years, without even the slightest twinge in the knee (plenty of calf and tendon stuff mind, but not related to surface, apparently). Its always at the back of my mind that eventually I'll cop it.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Couch to 5k on 23:38 - Sep 19 with 5783 viewsSirjohnalot

Couch to 5k on 23:22 - Sep 19 by monmouth

Aye that does worry me. Been runningmostly on roads now for 37 years, without even the slightest twinge in the knee (plenty of calf and tendon stuff mind, but not related to surface, apparently). Its always at the back of my mind that eventually I'll cop it.

JoIn a local running club. If you are close to Neath then Run 4 All Neath are very supportive for relatively newer runners.

I'd also recommend parkrun, wonderfully welcoming, free 5k every Saturday morning all over the country.

If it's multiple lap you can do one if you want, walk, run, jog. It's brilliant

Any tips or hints please feel free to ask.
Couch to 5k on 04:48 - Sep 20 with 5737 viewsphact0rri

I wish I had time to run more, but its a bit difficult to squeeze in more than once a week at the minute. but 5-8k is fairly manageable on a 30 minute time table.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Login to get fewer ads

Couch to 5k on 09:46 - Sep 20 with 5684 viewsPegojack

To the OP, get yourself some good lights and keep cycling.

Monday and yesterday, I did one of my occasional trips where I cycle to Bucknell in Shropshire to take the Heart of Wales train to Swansea, cycle to Baglan to stay overnight at mother's house, then do the reverse trip the next day.

A bit gutted to find the Queens Hotel shut for renovation yesterday lunchtime! Had some grub in Spoons instead.

Back in Shropshire at 5.45pm and did the last 20k's in the pitch dark. I got some great rechargeable lights off Ebay, only about a fiver each, just the job.
Couch to 5k on 10:28 - Sep 20 with 5656 viewsJack_y_Jwc

Couch to 5k on 09:46 - Sep 20 by Pegojack

To the OP, get yourself some good lights and keep cycling.

Monday and yesterday, I did one of my occasional trips where I cycle to Bucknell in Shropshire to take the Heart of Wales train to Swansea, cycle to Baglan to stay overnight at mother's house, then do the reverse trip the next day.

A bit gutted to find the Queens Hotel shut for renovation yesterday lunchtime! Had some grub in Spoons instead.

Back in Shropshire at 5.45pm and did the last 20k's in the pitch dark. I got some great rechargeable lights off Ebay, only about a fiver each, just the job.

I've stupidly signed up to cycle Prestatyn to Cardiff this weekend, it's come around very quickly and as a results I've hardly done any training.

We're staying in Shropshire on Saturday night - Bridges Long Mynd Hostel. Do you know it? It looks like it's on top of a big climb after our first 70 miles, that's my worry.

Couch to 5k on 10:39 - Sep 20 with 5648 viewsPegojack

Couch to 5k on 10:28 - Sep 20 by Jack_y_Jwc

I've stupidly signed up to cycle Prestatyn to Cardiff this weekend, it's come around very quickly and as a results I've hardly done any training.

We're staying in Shropshire on Saturday night - Bridges Long Mynd Hostel. Do you know it? It looks like it's on top of a big climb after our first 70 miles, that's my worry.

I don't know it but just had a look on Google Maps. Whichever way you approach, it looks like it involves a big climb. Whoever put that route together, finishing there after 70 miles, is a real masochist! Good luck, mate.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2017 10:41]
Couch to 5k on 10:51 - Sep 20 with 5630 viewsJFSwan

Im a club cyclist and we always cycle throughout winter, mainly 'chaingang' behind Amazon warehouse in evenings and the Sunday club runs as usual, some turbo trainer/ sessions and a bit of mountain biking to mix it up.

Recently signed up for the Swansea bay10k and im enjoying the cross training, mainly due to time efficiency. Just went out an done a few run/walk/run 10ks as training and kept the pace slow. Get miles in and speed will follow
Couch to 5k on 13:08 - Sep 20 with 5569 viewsfbreath

Couch to 5k on 23:38 - Sep 19 by Sirjohnalot

JoIn a local running club. If you are close to Neath then Run 4 All Neath are very supportive for relatively newer runners.

I'd also recommend parkrun, wonderfully welcoming, free 5k every Saturday morning all over the country.

If it's multiple lap you can do one if you want, walk, run, jog. It's brilliant

Any tips or hints please feel free to ask.

I've been road running/treadmill seriously for the past 10 months or so. Doing Swansea 10k this weekend.

This past week been having issue with pain in the hip area on one side though it seems muscular rather than hoint. I've got decent shoes etc.

I always take 5 mins or so to stretch/warm up before and after exercise.

Any tips on helping/preventing this (apart from not running)

We are the first Welsh club to reach the Premier League Simples

Couch to 5k on 20:23 - Sep 20 with 5470 viewsSirjohnalot

You say decent shoes, but have you got your gait analysed from a proper running shop ? Get in a treadmill in the shop, film your foot fall and recommend the shoes based on how your feet fall ? You can have the most expensive shoes in the world but if they aren't right for the way in which you run, you'll get injured.
Couch to 5k on 20:26 - Sep 20 with 5460 viewsSirjohnalot

Also, I did try to avoid the treadmill if you can, good way to get injured as the gradient doenst chnsge and you're hammering the same muscles all the time. Get out on the road, far more fun.

I try to get out in the morning before work during the week. Even if you get up half an hour than earlier, you can get it in. Maybe 2 miles or so, all helps
Couch to 5k on 20:30 - Sep 20 with 5457 viewsJackfath

Couch to 5k on 23:16 - Sep 19 by max936

You need to move those pedals then and keep out of the play pool, Tub's

Aberavon beach, is the place to run, roads and streets are a no . no.

I'd recommend not running on the beach. Over extending the achilles will set one back months.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

Couch to 5k on 20:43 - Sep 20 with 5441 viewsmax936

Couch to 5k on 20:30 - Sep 20 by Jackfath

I'd recommend not running on the beach. Over extending the achilles will set one back months.

I ran on Swansea Beach for yrs and later at Aberavon without any problems, even did dune running with a few of the Neath players before the Osprey days improved my fitness no end, one thing I did find though that running and cycling uses different muscles well hits the leg muscles differently which caused a few issues for me at least.

Couch to 5k on 20:58 - Sep 20 with 5424 viewsNogginthenog

I ran for the bus today does that count?
Couch to 5k on 00:33 - Sep 21 with 5380 viewsDJack

Couch to 5k on 20:58 - Sep 20 by Nogginthenog

I ran for the bus today does that count?

You should have told the bus to phuck off and do it's own exercise.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Couch to 5k on 20:26 - Sep 21 with 5276 viewsPhil_S

Couch to 5k on 20:23 - Sep 20 by Sirjohnalot

You say decent shoes, but have you got your gait analysed from a proper running shop ? Get in a treadmill in the shop, film your foot fall and recommend the shoes based on how your feet fall ? You can have the most expensive shoes in the world but if they aren't right for the way in which you run, you'll get injured.

So as a question on this one, where in this area would you recommend getting that done as I need to get mine analysed quickly

Been running for 3 months and enjoy it immensely but do need to get this done
Couch to 5k on 20:36 - Sep 21 with 5269 viewsJackfath

Couch to 5k on 20:26 - Sep 21 by Phil_S

So as a question on this one, where in this area would you recommend getting that done as I need to get mine analysed quickly

http://www.mymoti.com/

Couch to 5k on 20:37 - Sep 21 with 5269 viewsjack247

Couch to 5k on 20:26 - Sep 21 by Phil_S

Not sure what it's called, but there's a rugby/running shop by castle gardens, just down from Yates'. They've got a treadmill there, videoed me on it and recommended shoes based on my gait. They were very honest too, I don't run that much, so they advised I didn't need to go for expensive trainers. Ended up paying £45 for a pair and they have been fine.
Couch to 5k on 20:40 - Sep 21 with 5265 viewsPhil_S

Couch to 5k on 20:37 - Sep 21 by jack247

Not sure what it's called, but there's a rugby/running shop by castle gardens, just down from Yates'. They've got a treadmill there, videoed me on it and recommended shoes based on my gait. They were very honest too, I don't run that much, so they advised I didn't need to go for expensive trainers. Ended up paying £45 for a pair and they have been fine.

Thank you, trip for me next week - have used my normal trainers to date but do need to get this done

Debate now whether I do it before or after the half marathon a week Sunday

Good luck to all those in the 10k Sunday
Couch to 5k on 20:41 - Sep 21 with 5263 viewsJackfath

You're welcome.

Couch to 5k on 20:46 - Sep 21 with 5258 viewsPhil_S

Couch to 5k on 20:41 - Sep 21 by Jackfath

You're welcome.

I have you on ignore (C)perch2018

Seriously though thank you - bypassed your message and read jack247s only
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024