Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rising parking costs at the rec. 20:09 - Sep 19 with 8319 viewsgolly47

So I've been parking my car at the rec car park whenever I go to university (I live near Bargoed so it is rather a bit of a commute). For the past two semesters I have paid for two permits at £44.00 each. When applying for the current semester, I found out that a permit would only cost me a whopping £200.00.

Speaking to the estate office, they explained that the rise in fee "covers the cost of the charges made to Swansea University by the local Council for this parking on the Recreation Ground". It's understandable if the fee was raised by something like £20.00, but over a 350% increase? That's baffling. Any thoughts on why the fee is significantly higher?

Poll: What was worse?

Rising parking costs at the rec. on 20:17 - Sep 19 with 8297 viewsJackfath

They know the students will have to park there?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Rising parking costs at the rec. on 20:20 - Sep 19 with 8286 viewsgolly47

Rising parking costs at the rec. on 20:17 - Sep 19 by Jackfath

They know the students will have to park there?

Of course, just why on earth would they bump up the fee by 160 quid all of a sudden.

Rising parking costs at the rec. on 20:21 - Sep 19 with 8283 viewsJackfath

Rising parking costs at the rec. on 20:20 - Sep 19 by golly47

Of course, just why on earth would they bump up the fee by 160 quid all of a sudden.

They're in desperate need of the money. Where else will all the students park?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Rising parking costs at the rec. on 20:40 - Sep 19 with 8263 viewsYossarian

I work in the University- take it from me it's a huge money machine but about as efficient as the BBC in terms of its spending. They really know how to spend other people's money and it's a case of no expense spared- for the University. It's seems that Higher Education, once an altruistic pursuit, is now a self-indulgent money monster. I sympathise with you.

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

Rising parking costs at the rec. on 21:09 - Sep 19 with 8213 viewsBrynCartwright

"Semester"?....When I was at Uni in Aber in the late 80's we never referred to a term as a poxy "semester".

Americanisms running rife.

Shame mun

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Rising parking costs at the rec. on 21:13 - Sep 19 with 8212 viewsYossarian

Rising parking costs at the rec. on 21:09 - Sep 19 by BrynCartwright

"Semester"?....When I was at Uni in Aber in the late 80's we never referred to a term as a poxy "semester".

Shame mun

Agreed- it's infested education from top to bottom.

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

Rising parking costs at the rec. on 09:48 - Sep 20 with 8099 viewsPegojack

To the OP, I sympathize with you, that is an outrageous increase in fees, but I think they imposed it on you because you start your sentences with "so".
Rising parking costs at the rec. on 10:16 - Sep 20 with 8079 viewsProfessor

Shame mun

Late 1880s?

Most Unis have run to Semesters (which are not the same as terms) for many years. We have 2 UG semesters (Sep-Feb, Feb-Jun) but three terms. Post grads get a third (Jun-Sep)!
Login to get fewer ads

Rising parking costs at the rec. on 10:18 - Sep 20 with 8078 viewsMrSwerve

UWTSD Swansea (i.e. Swansea Met) have just introduced parking charges for October onwards for all of their on campus parking. It's looking like it'll cost circa £200 per year, both for staff and students.

What will we see in exchange for the money? Absolutely nothing. They sugar coat it with the promise of 'better parking', but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the parking as it is (all tarmac, plenty of spaces, security cameras).

It's just one big money spinner.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Rising parking costs at the rec. on 10:20 - Sep 20 with 8072 viewsMrSwerve

Shame mun

There's a difference between 'Semester' and 'Term'...the dates are different.

Edit: Oops, missed the Prof's response!
[Post edited 20 Sep 2017 11:39]

Rising parking costs at the rec. on 10:55 - Sep 20 with 8040 viewsProfessor

Rising parking costs at the rec. on 10:18 - Sep 20 by MrSwerve

UWTSD Swansea (i.e. Swansea Met) have just introduced parking charges for October onwards for all of their on campus parking. It's looking like it'll cost circa £200 per year, both for staff and students.

What will we see in exchange for the money? Absolutely nothing. They sugar coat it with the promise of 'better parking', but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the parking as it is (all tarmac, plenty of spaces, security cameras).

We are charged by the hour based on entry with staff cards. Up to 3quid per day.
Rising parking costs at the rec. on 11:06 - Sep 20 with 8031 viewsraynor94

Rising parking costs at the rec. on 20:21 - Sep 19 by Jackfath

They're in desperate need of the money. Where else will all the students park?

Outside residents homes, who unfortunately don't qualify for residents parking, but there again they will take chance and park in the bay, because they know there's barely any wardens about.

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Rising parking costs at the rec. on 11:20 - Sep 20 with 8020 viewsfiftypencehead

The recreation ground was bequeathed to the people of Swansea by Dame Adelina Patti, it was to be used as somewhere for them to enjoy recreational pursuits and the council cannot legally enforce you to pay for parking there. This has long been a bone of contention to the residents of Brynmill, and, having put the theory to the test the chap who tried to charge me for parking backed down when I mentioned about the legal covenant.
That is all.

When the ball hits the goal it's not Shearer or Cole it's Lee Trundle!

Rising parking costs at the rec. on 11:35 - Sep 20 with 8003 viewsunion_jack

Rising parking costs at the rec. on 10:16 - Sep 20 by Professor

Late 1880s?

Most Unis have run to Semesters (which are not the same as terms) for many years. We have 2 UG semesters (Sep-Feb, Feb-Jun) but three terms. Post grads get a third (Jun-Sep)!

What is it with the term 'uni'?

It was 'university' when I went.

I can only hear the term in my head with an Australian accent. You-neeeeee. Ugh!!!

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Rising parking costs at the rec. on 13:12 - Sep 20 with 7942 viewsBrynCartwright

Rising parking costs at the rec. on 10:16 - Sep 20 by Professor

Late 1880s?

I stand corrected by you Prof.

I would still maintain that the term is in much more common usage in North America however.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Rising parking costs at the rec. on 18:38 - Sep 20 with 7840 viewsmysonsarejacks

I have been told they are also looking to charge people to park on a Saturday too, when it is used by running and exercise groups, plus the occasional charity run in Singleton park.
I was told it would be £3. So, for example if you do the Parkrun on a Saturday - a great free activity, you now have to pay.

Councils used to be 'public servants', now they just see the public as a means to an end (often their own).

Poll: John Terry transfer ?

Rising parking costs at the rec. on 18:50 - Sep 20 with 7825 viewsNogginthenog

Rising parking costs at the rec. on 09:48 - Sep 20 by Pegojack

To the OP, I sympathize with you, that is an outrageous increase in fees, but I think they imposed it on you because you start your sentences with "so".

Exactly what I thought, it needs stamping out.
Rising parking costs at the rec. on 19:24 - Sep 20 with 7793 viewsswanforthemoney

£200, what does that work out at per day? £2.50 ? It doesnt look too bad really compared to what most people pay in town.

I stand in the North Stand

Rising parking costs at the rec. on 20:26 - Sep 20 with 7775 viewsmonmouth

Rising parking costs at the rec. on 19:24 - Sep 20 by swanforthemoney

£200, what does that work out at per day? £2.50 ? It doesnt look too bad really compared to what most people pay in town.

Students only go in 10 days a year mun. Last lecture hoping to find out what's in the exam, and the exam.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Rising parking costs at the rec. on 20:29 - Sep 20 with 7769 viewsjack2jack

Rising parking costs at the rec. on 11:20 - Sep 20 by fiftypencehead

The recreation ground was bequeathed to the people of Swansea by Dame Adelina Patti, it was to be used as somewhere for them to enjoy recreational pursuits and the council cannot legally enforce you to pay for parking there. This has long been a bone of contention to the residents of Brynmill, and, having put the theory to the test the chap who tried to charge me for parking backed down when I mentioned about the legal covenant.
That is all.

Mmmmm interesting,so the Clowncil is illegally charging for parking!
Rising parking costs at the rec. on 00:45 - Sep 21 with 7725 viewsgolly47

Rising parking costs at the rec. on 09:48 - Sep 20 by Pegojack

Love it!

Rising parking costs at the rec. on 02:23 - Sep 21 with 7709 viewsLeonWasGod

Rising parking costs at the rec. on 20:29 - Sep 20 by jack2jack

Mmmmm interesting,so the Clowncil is illegally charging for parking!

The thing I found strange in that post was that this Dame lass was named after the Patti Pavilion.
Rising parking costs at the rec. on 23:24 - Sep 22 with 7539 viewsBLAZE

Rising parking costs at the rec. on 10:18 - Sep 20 by MrSwerve

Im starting at UWTSD next week, based in the Alex building. Received this email today, which confirms free parking for students. Thankfully I live within walking distance anyway;

Dear Student

UPDATE: Changes to Parking Arrangements on the University’s campuses

Following positive discussions with the Students’ Union, the University has decided that we will not be charging for student parking permits during this academic year while we continue our engagement on the issues that have been identified.

Any idea where the Pen Y Bryn carpark is? Is it the one off Stanley Terrace right opposite the Mount Pleasant campus?
Rising parking costs at the rec. on 00:26 - Sep 23 with 7512 viewsploppy

@golly47

"So I've been parking my car ..."

Any reason you started with the word "So"? Totally unnecessary. This is getting to epidemic proportions and has to stop. And you're at uni? Sheesh.
Rising parking costs at the rec. on 09:21 - Sep 23 with 7470 viewsMrSwerve

Rising parking costs at the rec. on 23:24 - Sep 22 by BLAZE

Im starting at UWTSD next week, based in the Alex building. Received this email today, which confirms free parking for students. Thankfully I live within walking distance anyway;

Dear Student

UPDATE: Changes to Parking Arrangements on the University’s campuses

Following positive discussions with the Students’ Union, the University has decided that we will not be charging for student parking permits during this academic year while we continue our engagement on the issues that have been identified.

Any idea where the Pen Y Bryn carpark is? Is it the one off Stanley Terrace right opposite the Mount Pleasant campus?

Just the staff being shafted then. Maybe we should do one of these online petition things as that is what has swayed upper management. Our union will probably do feck all.

Yep Pen y Bryn is opposite the engineering building on mount pleasant.

Good luck with your studies! I know many of the staff in Alex and they're nice people.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024