Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Irish Rugby Players 15:19 - Sep 21 with 8202 viewsymaohyd

Isn't it strange how things may not always be what they seem?

I must be honest I am very much in the camp of being ABE..'Anyone but England' when it comes to sport.

Yet, particularly in rugby the English players always come across really well, come the 6 nations however I support not only Wales but all the other countries who play England with venom. Not just the 6 nations but the southern hemisphere sides too.

When it comes to Ireland though, I want Wales to win, however, not too bothered if we lose against our Celtic cousins.

Yet, I've often read that there is quite a bit of animosity between the Welsh and Irish players and again today an Irish player has come out against coaches within the Welsh structure.

4 years ago Keith Wood was scathing of Gatland for dropping BOD for the final Lions test, yet the Lions won by a record margin, yet Wood continued with his tirade.

Sean O'Brien today, not only criticising Gatland but scathing against Howley as an attacking coach!

I don't particularly like Howley, however a draw against the All Blacks in New Zealand was an excellent series for the Lions. Not saying people should be beyond criticism, however the Irish certainly seem to have a chip on their shoulders and are in danger of undermining what the Lions stand for namely unity across the 4 unions.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Irish Rugby Players on 15:34 - Sep 21 with 8188 viewsProfessor

Much bad blood between the players, regions and coaches. Ireland have had (for them) a prolonged period of success whereas although Wales have had a good run at International level, the regions have largely underperformed especially in Europe when compared to the Irish provinces. More so when you consider the Blues and Dragons have done nothing whilst even Connaught have won the Pro12. There is a degree of familiarity from more frequent matches which ferments the ill-feeling. In fairness to England under both Eddie Jones and Stuart Lancaster, there has been less arrogance than the teams of the past.
Irish Rugby Players on 15:43 - Sep 21 with 8175 viewswhiterock

Irish Rugby Players on 15:34 - Sep 21 by Professor

Much bad blood between the players, regions and coaches. Ireland have had (for them) a prolonged period of success whereas although Wales have had a good run at International level, the regions have largely underperformed especially in Europe when compared to the Irish provinces. More so when you consider the Blues and Dragons have done nothing whilst even Connaught have won the Pro12. There is a degree of familiarity from more frequent matches which ferments the ill-feeling. In fairness to England under both Eddie Jones and Stuart Lancaster, there has been less arrogance than the teams of the past.

I'd still go back to club rugby in a heartbeat, had an affinity to the Whites where the Ospreys mean nothing, seems like a lot feel the same, they said there was 7,000 there last Saturday when most would have said 3 tops.
What has regional rugby brought to grass roots? less crowds that the Whites had, less chance of getting to a major final, is international rugby more important than the bread and butter? Certainly not in football IMO
Irish Rugby Players on 15:49 - Sep 21 with 8166 viewsmax936

He's spot on about Howley and Gatland is as stubborn as you could be although I've only one compliant about Gatland and that is, that employed Howley as his backs coach, Howley is a shocking coach and I believe what O'Brien says about Farrell and Sexton having to take the lead in organising the backs. It backs up what I've been told by senior players whose names I'm not going to mention.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2017 16:08]

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Irish Rugby Players on 15:51 - Sep 21 with 8166 viewsJackfath

He's got a massive point about Howley as an attack coach.
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't he third choice for the role with the Lions?
Why did the other coaches turn down the possible once in a lifetime opportunity to help coach the Lions against the best team in the world given the players that were available to the Lions being well capable of winning the test series?
Perhaps he's right about Gatland and his methods too?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Irish Rugby Players on 15:55 - Sep 21 with 8160 viewsmax936

Irish Rugby Players on 15:51 - Sep 21 by Jackfath

He's got a massive point about Howley as an attack coach.
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't he third choice for the role with the Lions?
Why did the other coaches turn down the possible once in a lifetime opportunity to help coach the Lions against the best team in the world given the players that were available to the Lions being well capable of winning the test series?
Perhaps he's right about Gatland and his methods too?

Others turned the role down due to Gatlands born stubbornness and that is an absolute fact, Howely says what Gats likes to hear and says yes ok Sir whatever you want Warren and how many sugars in your Tea,

Irish Rugby Players on 16:06 - Sep 21 with 8143 viewsmagicdaps10

All goes back to the 2005 lions after Wales won the grand slam.
Ireland thought the Welsh players were getting ahead of themselves. Think it boiled down to that Ireland thought they were the best team that season and Wales came along with this adventurous and full of confidence style.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Irish Rugby Players on 16:13 - Sep 21 with 8121 viewsDarran

Irish Rugby Players on 15:49 - Sep 21 by max936

He's spot on about Howley and Gatland is as stubborn as you could be although I've only one compliant about Gatland and that is, that employed Howley as his backs coach, Howley is a shocking coach and I believe what O'Brien says about Farrell and Sexton having to take the lead in organising the backs. It backs up what I've been told by senior players whose names I'm not going to mention.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2017 16:08]

Complaint.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Irish Rugby Players on 16:20 - Sep 21 with 8115 viewsmax936

Irish Rugby Players on 16:13 - Sep 21 by Darran

Complaint.

Correct.

Login to get fewer ads

Irish Rugby Players on 16:43 - Sep 21 with 8097 viewsAustinIsOurHero

He's right.
Gatland & Howley are awful coaches who have managed to turn Wales from a genuine, exciting rugby team to one dimensional, physical man & ball smashing monsters.
They favour their yes men & ignore young talent.
The sooner they both disappear from the Welsh set up, the better.

Poll: How many points will be get from the next two games?

Irish Rugby Players on 17:17 - Sep 21 with 8063 viewsProfessor

Irish Rugby Players on 15:43 - Sep 21 by whiterock

I'd still go back to club rugby in a heartbeat, had an affinity to the Whites where the Ospreys mean nothing, seems like a lot feel the same, they said there was 7,000 there last Saturday when most would have said 3 tops.
What has regional rugby brought to grass roots? less crowds that the Whites had, less chance of getting to a major final, is international rugby more important than the bread and butter? Certainly not in football IMO

The regions were handled badly. The old club structure could not live with a professional game-Swansea RFC were essentially bankrupt in a knackered old stadium. WRU caved into Cardiff and Llanelli with a compliant media. Remember Neath has originally agreed to a merger with Bridgend for the Black Ravens on the basis of a West region, a Gwent Region, a Glamorgan region and a Cardiff and Glamorgan Valleys region. But Cardiff and the Turks were allowed to go alone, as essentially were Newport. Bridgend and Pontypridd merged then were smothered by the WRU. As you say the Whites got as many as the Ospreys. Pontypridd and Neath often got 5k crowds. Even Dunvant, Treorchy and Newbridge would often get 1500 or so. It was the right idea but done very badly
Irish Rugby Players on 18:50 - Sep 21 with 7978 viewsmonmouth

Howley is the shittest coach in the known universe. Except maybe for McBryde. Gatland's ok as long as he has strong fit big lumps to pick.

Many Irish rugby players and supporters these days are arseholes though. They think rugby started in 2000 and are heavily subsidised and largely control the pro 12 referees and organisation. Hence Pr'O 12. Arrogant as hell with a pathetic two grand slams ever, but very full of how the Lions should always be full of them with no Welsh or Scots..

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Irish Rugby Players on 19:02 - Sep 21 with 7955 viewsBrynCartwright

Well at least on the next tour other coaches will be directing everything and they can then prove they are the best.

It's easy to claim that other coaches would have given a 3 nil win to the Lions but always going to be complete conjecture; pie in the sky bullshit.

I would have loved Eddie Jones or Joe Schmidt as head coach of the last tour. It would have left Gatland to concentrate on Wales for the last 6N. The Irish think the sun shines out of their arseholes on the rugby pitch. More arrogant than the English now and that's saying something.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Irish Rugby Players on 19:13 - Sep 21 with 7944 viewsdickythorpe

It's poor form from O' Brien, his fellow countryman Henderson was desparately unlucky not to get a cap. Maybe another coach would have!

Not a fan of Howley but a drawn series was much more than many fans and "experts" thought.
Irish Rugby Players on 19:35 - Sep 21 with 7905 viewsmax936

Irish Rugby Players on 19:13 - Sep 21 by dickythorpe

It's poor form from O' Brien, his fellow countryman Henderson was desparately unlucky not to get a cap. Maybe another coach would have!

Not a fan of Howley but a drawn series was much more than many fans and "experts" thought.

Was it in spite of Howely or because of him though, its the latter for me without doubt.

Irish Rugby Players on 19:41 - Sep 21 with 7893 viewsScotia

I genuinely cannot believe anyone in world rugby can criticize Gatland as a coach.
Howley is fair game, so is McBryde and Jenkins. Gatland is easily the best coach ever to coach in the northern hemisphere.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2017 20:00]
Irish Rugby Players on 19:46 - Sep 21 with 7888 viewsBrynCartwright

Good article from the Daily Nazi.

The tour schedule was an absolute disaster, and Gats jokingly offered the head coach role to Schmidt anyway. The more I think about how fatuous O'Brian's and Vunipola's remarks have been the less respect I have for them. Complete a-holes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-3419136/Ireland-contract-prevents-Jo

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Irish Rugby Players on 20:59 - Sep 21 with 7836 viewsBytholWyn

Whatever the accuracy of the observations made by O'Brien, his comments further undermine the fatuous belief amongst many in the rugby community that they command the moral high ground when it comes to conduct. Had comments of that nature been made by a Premier League footballer they would be facing a charge of bringing the game into disrepute.
Irish Rugby Players on 07:00 - Oct 17 with 5560 viewsymaohyd

Irish Rugby Players on 19:41 - Sep 21 by Scotia

I genuinely cannot believe anyone in world rugby can criticize Gatland as a coach.
Howley is fair game, so is McBryde and Jenkins. Gatland is easily the best coach ever to coach in the northern hemisphere.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2017 20:00]

Indeed

Sad, this morning that Gatland has had a titful of the Lions, after a winning tour in OZ and a drawn series in New Zealand. Much has been written of late about the Lions future. This tw at O'Brien has done more damage than people realise.

Irish Rugby Players on 08:39 - Oct 17 with 5405 viewstrampie

Irish Rugby Players on 17:17 - Sep 21 by Professor

The regions were handled badly. The old club structure could not live with a professional game-Swansea RFC were essentially bankrupt in a knackered old stadium. WRU caved into Cardiff and Llanelli with a compliant media. Remember Neath has originally agreed to a merger with Bridgend for the Black Ravens on the basis of a West region, a Gwent Region, a Glamorgan region and a Cardiff and Glamorgan Valleys region. But Cardiff and the Turks were allowed to go alone, as essentially were Newport. Bridgend and Pontypridd merged then were smothered by the WRU. As you say the Whites got as many as the Ospreys. Pontypridd and Neath often got 5k crowds. Even Dunvant, Treorchy and Newbridge would often get 1500 or so. It was the right idea but done very badly

We should have had proper regions, no town or city names, no club colours and the odd game played away from the main ground, this would have meant that all rugby fans would have been in the loop.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Irish Rugby Players on 09:55 - Oct 17 with 5307 viewsLoyal

I think this is all very terrible.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Irish Rugby Players on 11:14 - Oct 17 with 5210 viewsBrynmill_Jack

I think that beyond any doubt Wales vs Ireland games are by far the bitterest and sometimes most brutal encounters in Northern hemisphere rugby, and have been for decades. The animosity between the two countries goes back way before the Saxon invasion with raiding parties coming over from Ireland to pillage Welsh (or more accurately "British") coastal settlements (well Wales wasn't even a concept back then).
More recently is it more to do with Ireland being mainly a poor farming country until very recently and Wales being industrialised and prosperous whilst still maintaining a very clear identity through culture and language even though joined with England and not an island?
Maybe that has caused a certain degree of resentment in Ireland, not to mention the British brutality against the people during the hideous Black and Tan campaign and the shame of the British inaction during the potato famine.
Aldo we have to remember that historically some of the greatest players ever to have played the game came from this little area too. It's a hard ask to try to equal the likes of Gareth Edwards and Barry John for arguments sake.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Irish Rugby Players on 15:04 - Oct 18 with 4194 viewsymaohyd

Once you become a Lion, you owe a duty of care to preserve a very special entity in the world of sport.

For the last two tours now the Irish have made it personal. I'm not saying those commenting on selection etc shouldn't make comments or give opinions, of course they should. However on the last tour BOD was dropped from the last test, Keith Wood criticised the decision and that's fine. After the Lions won by a record margin, the Irish continued with the barbs.

Now O'brien. Fine to be making comments 'in house' but to undermine what the Lions are all about I.e. Putting national feelings and emotions to one side and be a Lion. Instead O'brien has gone public and I doubt very much he would have done so if the coaches in question were Irish.

Irish Rugby Players on 15:08 - Oct 18 with 4185 viewswhoflungdung

Hitherto they were referee to as the British Lions

Poll: Is it Spa or spa

Irish Rugby Players on 21:40 - Oct 18 with 4021 viewsbuilthjack

I still can't understand why its the 6 nations every single year. Fcking boring as Fck. How about they invite the other 50 odd European nations to have a go? They would be crap initially but give them a few years and.... Oh no they couldn't, those six might be relegated. Then what!
Closed shop me thinks.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024