Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
London Uber Licence won't be renewed 11:17 - Sep 22 with 8561 viewsMeraki

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41358640

F*cking scandalous - Everytime I've used Uber its been 5* service!
London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 11:39 - Sep 22 with 6835 viewsDarran

When I was in London in June they were outstanding.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 11:43 - Sep 22 with 6830 viewsPegojack

What's the issue or issues on which this decision has been made? Anyone know? Genuine question.
London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 11:44 - Sep 22 with 6829 viewsswanjackal

London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 11:39 - Sep 22 by Darran

When I was in London in June they were outstanding.

With all the exaggeration in other threads, a bit hyperbolic. Outstanding my arse.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 11:47 - Sep 22 with 6823 viewsDarran

London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 11:44 - Sep 22 by swanjackal

With all the exaggeration in other threads, a bit hyperbolic. Outstanding my arse.

They were though it was lashing down with rain and they saved us looking for a black cab.

London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 11:53 - Sep 22 with 6815 viewsswanjackal

London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 11:47 - Sep 22 by Darran

They were though it was lashing down with rain and they saved us looking for a black cab.

So they are the "Bony" of personal transport hire?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 12:02 - Sep 22 with 6797 viewsDarran

London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 11:53 - Sep 22 by swanjackal

So they are the "Bony" of personal transport hire?

No further comment.

London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 12:04 - Sep 22 with 6792 viewslondonlisa2001

London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 11:43 - Sep 22 by Pegojack

What's the issue or issues on which this decision has been made? Anyone know? Genuine question.

Because they been asked and asked to start giving some sort of toss for the safety of their customers by carrying out even basic criminal background checks on their drivers, to provide some sort of regulation, to stop using tragedy to make more money, to pay some sort of tax, to provide any type of basic employment protection for the 40,000 drivers in London that work for them, and they've always laughed in the face of the requests, with a billy big bo****s attitude of 'there's nothing you can do about it'.

Well they're not laughing now are they. They didn't think for one minute that the Mayor would have the bottle to do this.

They will now have to change the way they operate to get their licence back. About time.

And I say all this as someone that thinks black cab drivers in London deserve to get their backsides kicked all the way to South of the River.

But any local mini cab service wouldn't get away with zero regulation of their drivers, so why the hell should uber, just because they've (ooh), got an app and reckon they're a 'tech' company. No you're not, you're a taxi firm, so behave like one.

Funnily enough, the argument about them not really being a taxi company will be exposed now for the myth it is as they'll find their app is pretty worthless in London from next week on.
London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 12:06 - Sep 22 with 6785 viewsswanjackal

London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 12:02 - Sep 22 by Darran

No further comment.

Login to get fewer ads

London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 12:18 - Sep 22 with 6767 viewsMo_Wives

London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 12:04 - Sep 22 by londonlisa2001

Because they been asked and asked to start giving some sort of toss for the safety of their customers by carrying out even basic criminal background checks on their drivers, to provide some sort of regulation, to stop using tragedy to make more money, to pay some sort of tax, to provide any type of basic employment protection for the 40,000 drivers in London that work for them, and they've always laughed in the face of the requests, with a billy big bo****s attitude of 'there's nothing you can do about it'.

Well they're not laughing now are they. They didn't think for one minute that the Mayor would have the bottle to do this.

They will now have to change the way they operate to get their licence back. About time.

And I say all this as someone that thinks black cab drivers in London deserve to get their backsides kicked all the way to South of the River.

But any local mini cab service wouldn't get away with zero regulation of their drivers, so why the hell should uber, just because they've (ooh), got an app and reckon they're a 'tech' company. No you're not, you're a taxi firm, so behave like one.

Funnily enough, the argument about them not really being a taxi company will be exposed now for the myth it is as they'll find their app is pretty worthless in London from next week on.

TRIGGER....Ah, f*ck it....never mind.

Good luck, Mr Cooper

London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 12:27 - Sep 22 with 6748 viewsMeraki

So effectively this will end in job losses of about 40,000 people?

Shiiiiiiiit.
London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 12:27 - Sep 22 with 6747 viewslondonlisa2001

London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 12:18 - Sep 22 by Mo_Wives

TRIGGER....Ah, f*ck it....never mind.

?

You seem to be losing the plot moflake. I was explaining the background to the decision. Doesn't matter to me one way or another. But I'm amused by the number of people that 'support good employment practices' and 'want people to be put before profits' until it comes to spending an extra fiver on a cab ride home. That's pretty funny.
London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 12:35 - Sep 22 with 6733 viewsPegojack

Thank you, Lisa, for the comprehensive reply. I did a bit of reading of t'internet myself to check out the background, so now I can see what you mean. I see the GMB were very big movers regarding petitioning TFL to make this decision.

Not that I'm in London very often and never use cabs, but I fully support the decision for all the reasons you mention.

As for Uber, f*ck 'em.

PS No doubt the usual 'defenders of free enterprise' will be along in a minute.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2017 12:36]
London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 12:38 - Sep 22 with 6726 viewsMo_Wives

London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 12:27 - Sep 22 by londonlisa2001

?

You seem to be losing the plot moflake. I was explaining the background to the decision. Doesn't matter to me one way or another. But I'm amused by the number of people that 'support good employment practices' and 'want people to be put before profits' until it comes to spending an extra fiver on a cab ride home. That's pretty funny.

Au contraire, Mary Shitehouse. It was meant to be a friendly joke. It's why I added this little fella: I apologise, next time I shall be more clear.

Good luck, Mr Cooper

London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 13:29 - Sep 22 with 6641 viewslondonlisa2001

London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 12:27 - Sep 22 by Meraki

So effectively this will end in job losses of about 40,000 people?

Shiiiiiiiit.

I doubt it very much.

All those 40,000 weren't 'employed' anyway of course...

The result of this will be Uber will finally do the things they've been given the past few years to do voluntarily when they couldn't be bothered because they were 'too big to be told what to do' and will get their licence back. They may take employment regulations and the safety of their customers a bit more seriously now.

They're a really wan*y organisation. I'm massively in favour of free enterprise and the breaking of the ridiculous monopoly that the black cabs have had in London but the creation of a private monopoly that has less regulation and thinks they can behave how they want doesn't help anyone.
London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 13:33 - Sep 22 with 6626 viewslondonlisa2001

London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 12:35 - Sep 22 by Pegojack

Thank you, Lisa, for the comprehensive reply. I did a bit of reading of t'internet myself to check out the background, so now I can see what you mean. I see the GMB were very big movers regarding petitioning TFL to make this decision.

Not that I'm in London very often and never use cabs, but I fully support the decision for all the reasons you mention.

As for Uber, f*ck 'em.

PS No doubt the usual 'defenders of free enterprise' will be along in a minute.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2017 12:36]

The down side of the decision is that it will make the black cab drivers and the GMB very happy. Because they also need to look at themselves and their service.

But what Uber have been able to get away with for so long is a scandal.

They'll be back in no time, but with more regulation, which will help everyone.
London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 13:58 - Sep 22 with 6580 viewsPegojack

London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 13:33 - Sep 22 by londonlisa2001

The down side of the decision is that it will make the black cab drivers and the GMB very happy. Because they also need to look at themselves and their service.

But what Uber have been able to get away with for so long is a scandal.

They'll be back in no time, but with more regulation, which will help everyone.

I was reading on t'internet earlier that there is another firm, Mytaxi, which operates as per Uber but obeying all the regulations, is that right?
London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 14:14 - Sep 22 with 6555 viewslondonlisa2001

London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 13:58 - Sep 22 by Pegojack

I was reading on t'internet earlier that there is another firm, Mytaxi, which operates as per Uber but obeying all the regulations, is that right?

Yeah - they're the app for the black cabs and have just cut their fares by 50% in response.

Uber will still operate anyway while their appeal happens - they won't stop, they'll just realise that fobbing off the regulator isn't as funny as they thought. They've sent out an email already asking for people to sign a petition. Sent of course from Amsterdam where they are 'based' to avoid paying any tax. The funny bit is it mentions putting 40,000 drivers out of work, when for the past few years they've argued blind that the drivers don't work for them.

I'm as right wing as it gets on competition, breaking of monopolies, provision of a service for a better price and allowing the market to sort itself out, but any company that consistently refuses to allow the police to check drivers, pay tax, employ people properly etc deserve what they get in my view. They just never believed that the regulator would actually regulate them. They always thought Khan would bottle it. Now they know he won't and it's better for all of us.
London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 14:17 - Sep 22 with 6547 viewsmacthejack

Probably the only way you could get a black cab to go south of the river.

Uber's far from perfect but I genuinely hope they get their house in order as I've always found the service to be fantastic and everything black cabs aren't: Reliable, comfortable, reasonable priced, incredibly convenient and the review system means both rider and driver are mutually accountable to eachother.

As someone who lives just outside zone 6 taxis are the only way for me to get home after a night out. Most services are prohibitively expensive.
London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 14:35 - Sep 22 with 6524 viewslondonlisa2001

London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 14:17 - Sep 22 by macthejack

Probably the only way you could get a black cab to go south of the river.

Uber's far from perfect but I genuinely hope they get their house in order as I've always found the service to be fantastic and everything black cabs aren't: Reliable, comfortable, reasonable priced, incredibly convenient and the review system means both rider and driver are mutually accountable to eachother.

As someone who lives just outside zone 6 taxis are the only way for me to get home after a night out. Most services are prohibitively expensive.

I agree with you.

I hope they get their house in order as well. It's a ridiculous state of affairs that they kept refusing to do so. Now they will.

I also think the black cabs have brought a lot of this on themselves - the number of times over the years they have refused to take my fare because I was going to a place they didn't want to go, or it wasn't on the way, or they'd 'never get a fare back in' is crazy. And their prices are a disgrace.

But the answer isn't a company that refuse to behave with any type of decency. I hardly ever use black cabs and I never use uber. I always use my local minicab firm as I trust them, the drivers are all checked, their prices are great. Uber will sort themselves out and the service will probably never actually stop.
London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 15:44 - Sep 22 with 6423 viewsValerie

Storm in a tea cup.

They will appeal and eventually bend on a few things then carry on like normal.

In the main the customer supports them and they will decide in the end.

After the black cabs initial euphoria on hearing this decision they are now realising it
will change very little in the long run and Uber will expand just like in virtually every
major city in the world.

Times are changing get used to it.

[Post edited 25 Sep 2017 17:55]
London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 15:57 - Sep 22 with 6390 viewslondonlisa2001

London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 15:44 - Sep 22 by Valerie

Storm in a tea cup.

They will appeal and eventually bend on a few things then carry on like normal.

In the main the customer supports them and they will decide in the end.

After the black cabs initial euphoria on hearing this decision they are now realising it
will change very little in the long run and Uber will expand just like in virtually every
major city in the world.

Times are changing get used to it.

[Post edited 25 Sep 2017 17:55]

Well if the things they bend on are some degree of checking for their drivers, some submission to regulation and taxation, some protection for the people that work for them, then that's what's been asked for isn't it.

As for the last bit - that's the sort of stuff uber used to say until they had their licence revoked in their biggest non US market and had to send a crybaby email asking people to sign a petition because TFL were being unfair to them.
London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 16:11 - Sep 22 with 6363 viewsValerie

Uber will be going stronger than ever in 2 years and diddly squat will be done apart from throwing out a few few crumbs when appealing,that's for sure.
London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 16:28 - Sep 22 with 6341 viewsTummer_from_Texas

As huge as Uber (and now Lyft, their competition) are in America, I'm actually pretty surprised that there haven't been many safety-related incidents. And it doesn't seem like we have any strict background check requirements here, either.

That said, I use it all the time now if I'm planning to drink and go out, or if I'm going somewhere like the airport where I don't want to pay for parking. Much, much cheaper than a cab here in Dallas, and with quicker pick ups.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 16:44 - Sep 22 with 6317 viewslondonlisa2001

London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 16:28 - Sep 22 by Tummer_from_Texas

As huge as Uber (and now Lyft, their competition) are in America, I'm actually pretty surprised that there haven't been many safety-related incidents. And it doesn't seem like we have any strict background check requirements here, either.

That said, I use it all the time now if I'm planning to drink and go out, or if I'm going somewhere like the airport where I don't want to pay for parking. Much, much cheaper than a cab here in Dallas, and with quicker pick ups.

They're loads cheaper than a black cab in London as well, and easier to get. No cheaper than a mini cab but more convenient if out and about. I always take a mini cab to the airport rather than an Uber though.

To be honest, it's a matter of time before they either significantly clean up their act or get replaced by a better company doing the same thing anyway.

Lyft aren't here yet, although they keep saying they are opening in London any day. This may bring that forward I guess.
London Uber Licence won't be renewed on 16:45 - Sep 22 with 6316 viewsMeraki

The other thing I like about Uber is that you know roughly how much its going to cost you.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024