Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This kneeling down protest 14:07 - Sep 25 with 58335 viewsLoyal

Relevant?

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

This kneeling down protest on 11:15 - Oct 11 with 2044 viewsMeraki

This kneeling down protest on 11:12 - Oct 11 by Mo_Wives

This is what I'm saying. As a business they have the right to do what they want (within reason). I'm willing to bet they are weighing up what is the course which will cause less damage. I bet morals or right or wrong haven't entered into their thinking...apart from what do most of our PAYING customers think is right or wrong.

I'm not sure the demographics of the fanbase but I read somewhere 70% of NFL players are black.

This is firmly tongue in cheek, but you could see another 'Negro Leagues' situation.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2017 11:18]
This kneeling down protest on 11:23 - Oct 11 with 2035 viewsswanjackal

This kneeling down protest on 11:12 - Oct 11 by Mo_Wives

This is what I'm saying. As a business they have the right to do what they want (within reason). I'm willing to bet they are weighing up what is the course which will cause less damage. I bet morals or right or wrong haven't entered into their thinking...apart from what do most of our PAYING customers think is right or wrong.

Which is the case most the time.

The strange thing though, the person who began all this kneeling for the anthem, is currently doing his kneeling in front of his Plasma TV as nobody wanted to take on his contract. So did this cause him to lose his contract, as some people decided it was, by holding demonstrations to get him a new NFL contract (Yes, this did happen), or was it because he was dog shite awful, as most American football fans, and the stats , seem to suggest?

An employer may just not want the publicity it brings, which is also a fair point.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

This kneeling down protest on 11:28 - Oct 11 with 2027 viewsMeraki

This kneeling down protest on 11:23 - Oct 11 by swanjackal

Which is the case most the time.

The strange thing though, the person who began all this kneeling for the anthem, is currently doing his kneeling in front of his Plasma TV as nobody wanted to take on his contract. So did this cause him to lose his contract, as some people decided it was, by holding demonstrations to get him a new NFL contract (Yes, this did happen), or was it because he was dog shite awful, as most American football fans, and the stats , seem to suggest?

An employer may just not want the publicity it brings, which is also a fair point.

I'm no expert on the NFL but I think it could be a combination of both.

He's not good enough to warrant the publicity?
This kneeling down protest on 11:45 - Oct 11 with 2013 viewsswanjackal

This kneeling down protest on 11:28 - Oct 11 by Meraki

I'm no expert on the NFL but I think it could be a combination of both.

He's not good enough to warrant the publicity?

No, his publicity, and what comes with him isn't worth the hassle of offering him a new contract. The negative effect on fan perception and potential locker room division through his stances will way on this decision. He may be worthy of the publicity regardless of his ability on the field, just that the publicity baggage isn't something an owner/team wants to take on.

You only have to look at the James McLean thread to see the divisive nature of somebody who imparts personal political idealism on the field of play to see the reaction some fans have. If he was a special talent, then in most cases this can be "forgotten" easily, unfortunately for him, he isn't a special talent (well not above what is available to the league) and thus the risk reward isn't worth the potential drawbacks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

This kneeling down protest on 11:58 - Oct 11 with 2001 viewsMeraki

This kneeling down protest on 11:45 - Oct 11 by swanjackal

No, his publicity, and what comes with him isn't worth the hassle of offering him a new contract. The negative effect on fan perception and potential locker room division through his stances will way on this decision. He may be worthy of the publicity regardless of his ability on the field, just that the publicity baggage isn't something an owner/team wants to take on.

You only have to look at the James McLean thread to see the divisive nature of somebody who imparts personal political idealism on the field of play to see the reaction some fans have. If he was a special talent, then in most cases this can be "forgotten" easily, unfortunately for him, he isn't a special talent (well not above what is available to the league) and thus the risk reward isn't worth the potential drawbacks.

So hypothetically speaking if it was someone of Tom Brady's ability in this situation, you think no owner or team would take him on?
This kneeling down protest on 12:13 - Oct 11 with 1991 viewsswanjackal

This kneeling down protest on 11:58 - Oct 11 by Meraki

So hypothetically speaking if it was someone of Tom Brady's ability in this situation, you think no owner or team would take him on?

If you read my post correctly, then you would see that I have said special talents tend to be forgiven easily by owners. Someone with special talent would be worth the risk of the publicity, rightly or wrongly, and hence the contract would have been given.

So in the situation you mention, a prime Tom Brady would more likely be kept on by an owner, despite possible political/personal views that may cause upset, at the end of his contract, as opposed to the backup (say Rohan Davey in 2005) holding the same views. The value of Brady would give a larger value to the club keeping him on than a back up QB, hence the risk of keeping Brady on outweighs the risk of letting him go. Also, Brady would have been snapped up due to his talent by other teams, something that Kaepernick hasn't.

This kneeling down protest on 12:13 - Oct 11 with 1990 viewsPozuelosSideys

SF have been badly run by their owners for a few years and suck as bad as they ever have right now. The whole team and management has been piss poor for a few years. It was all about building the new stadium for their owner, and investment/good drafting in the squad has been non existent. (sound familiar?!)

Kaepernick was a round peg in a round hole under Jim Harbaugh, but his performances have got poorer every season since, partly because of him, partly because of the team and partly because they don't play to his style (again, sound familiar)

Throw in this political issue and his wage demands, hes basically not worth the hassle. If it was Brady doing this (and Brady was black), Bradys performances would be enough to earn him a contract imo. Its a results business.

Actually, forget Brady. If this was a genuine elite (black) player initiating this like maybe Odell Beckham, Le'Veon Bell, AJ Green or even Khalil Mack, I think the media handles it differently. Kaepernick has always come across as prickly and awkward. The others are much more media friendly. Wouldve been super interesting to see had it been OBJ
[Post edited 11 Oct 2017 12:26]

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

This kneeling down protest on 12:18 - Oct 11 with 1986 viewsHighjack

He's probably done alright out of all this if his jersey is suddenly the number one purchase worldwide, although that's probably me being overly cynical as usual.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Login to get fewer ads

This kneeling down protest on 16:13 - Oct 11 with 1926 viewsJackSomething

This kneeling down protest on 20:44 - Oct 10 by Tummer_from_Texas

No doubt about it, anymore.

https://sports.yahoo.com/roger-goodell-memo-teams-regarding-174259696.html

"The current dispute over the National Anthem is threatening to erode the unifying power of our game, and is now dividing us, and our players, from many fans across the country...Like many of our fans, we believe that everyone should stand for the National Anthem. It is an important moment in our game. We want to honor our flag and our country, and our fans expect that of us." - Roger Goodell, NFL Commissioner

On the subject of ratings (in Dwight's post which you quoted):

http://nypost.com/2017/10/10/nfl-ratings-are-starting-to-improve-despite-distrac

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

This kneeling down protest on 16:21 - Oct 11 with 1917 viewsJackSomething

This kneeling down protest on 12:13 - Oct 11 by PozuelosSideys

SF have been badly run by their owners for a few years and suck as bad as they ever have right now. The whole team and management has been piss poor for a few years. It was all about building the new stadium for their owner, and investment/good drafting in the squad has been non existent. (sound familiar?!)

Kaepernick was a round peg in a round hole under Jim Harbaugh, but his performances have got poorer every season since, partly because of him, partly because of the team and partly because they don't play to his style (again, sound familiar)

Throw in this political issue and his wage demands, hes basically not worth the hassle. If it was Brady doing this (and Brady was black), Bradys performances would be enough to earn him a contract imo. Its a results business.

Actually, forget Brady. If this was a genuine elite (black) player initiating this like maybe Odell Beckham, Le'Veon Bell, AJ Green or even Khalil Mack, I think the media handles it differently. Kaepernick has always come across as prickly and awkward. The others are much more media friendly. Wouldve been super interesting to see had it been OBJ
[Post edited 11 Oct 2017 12:26]

I agree on all that. Especially about the terrible decisions of the 49ers organisation. Sadly.

On a similar note, Jerry Jones has stated that anyone on the Dallas Cowboys protesting during the anthem will be benched. If Dak Prescott, Ezekiel Elliot and DeMarcus Lawrence kneel on Sunday, there is no doubt in my mind that all will play and Jerry will come out with a statement that he doesn't consider kneeling to be protesting.

If you're good enough at professional sport, you can get away with just about anything. If you look at the fact that players employed by the Cowboys have racked up just about double the number of games suspended than any other NFL team, it seems Dallas is the best place for players who want to misbehave.

Whatever happens surrounding this debate, Trump has pulled a blinder with his base by definitively moving the context of the protests from police treatment of black people to respect for the flag/country/armed forces. Whether you think that is a good thing or not in a country so divided by race is up to you.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2017 20:27]

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

This kneeling down protest on 18:15 - Oct 11 with 1899 viewsPozuelosSideys

This kneeling down protest on 16:21 - Oct 11 by JackSomething

I agree on all that. Especially about the terrible decisions of the 49ers organisation. Sadly.

On a similar note, Jerry Jones has stated that anyone on the Dallas Cowboys protesting during the anthem will be benched. If Dak Prescott, Ezekiel Elliot and DeMarcus Lawrence kneel on Sunday, there is no doubt in my mind that all will play and Jerry will come out with a statement that he doesn't consider kneeling to be protesting.

If you're good enough at professional sport, you can get away with just about anything. If you look at the fact that players employed by the Cowboys have racked up just about double the number of games suspended than any other NFL team, it seems Dallas is the best place for players who want to misbehave.

Whatever happens surrounding this debate, Trump has pulled a blinder with his base by definitively moving the context of the protests from police treatment of black people to respect for the flag/country/armed forces. Whether you think that is a good thing or not in a country so divided by race is up to you.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2017 20:27]

Its quite amusing that in Dallas, it seems everyone turns a blind eye to whats going on in EE's private life, but god forbid he takes a knee when somebody sings the anthem..

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."

This kneeling down protest on 20:48 - Oct 16 with 1771 viewsPozuelosSideys

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/american-football/41630253

So he is now suing all the NFL owners because nobody will hire him. Is he for real?

This kneeling down protest on 17:27 - Oct 19 with 1695 viewsDarran

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/02/us/high-school-national-anthem.html?smid=tw-n

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

This kneeling down protest on 17:34 - Oct 19 with 1690 viewslondonlisa2001

This kneeling down protest on 17:27 - Oct 19 by Darran

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/02/us/high-school-national-anthem.html?smid=tw-n

I personally think it disrespects their military and nation more when the president tries to play politics with phoning families of service people killed in action, and then starts an argument with the family of a fallen soldier about it but there we go.
This kneeling down protest on 17:45 - Oct 19 with 1679 viewsLoyal

This kneeling down protest on 20:48 - Oct 16 by PozuelosSideys

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/american-football/41630253

So he is now suing all the NFL owners because nobody will hire him. Is he for real?

He should have a word with John Barnes.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024