Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This kneeling down protest 14:07 - Sep 25 with 57681 viewsLoyal

Relevant?

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

This kneeling down protest on 00:31 - Sep 26 with 2694 viewsHumpty

This kneeling down protest on 00:20 - Sep 26 by Tummer_from_Texas

That's exactly the point. I've got no problem with any player who kneels, stays in the locker room, urinates on the flag, whatever. That's their right, and that's what the flag stands for. I just think it's really cool that one defiant patriot and veteran has chosen not to fall in line with the Left, and he's gone from anonymous to the most popular jersey in the NFL in 24 hours.

But it's incredibly hypocritical and nauseating that those so-called "progressives" - who champion freedom of speech only when it's convenient to their cause - have now threatened and shamed him into apologizing for exercising his own rights.

And yes, I know you have a flag and anthem, but you don't know what it means to be an American. I've been reminded multiple times on this board, by you and others, that I can never understand what it means to have the passion of a real Jack because I'm an outsider who didn't come from Wales, even though we have sports teams we care a lot about in America. I respectfully never try to argue that point, but something exactly like it applies here, too.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2017 0:32]

Any evidence of this threatening and shaming Mike?

I'm glad you support free speech for everyone. How about Jemele Hill's free speech?

You know. The black female anchor for ESPN who criticized Trump on Twitter only for the White House to claim she should be sacked.
This kneeling down protest on 00:32 - Sep 26 with 2691 viewsJackSomething

This kneeling down protest on 21:47 - Sep 25 by Tummer_from_Texas

A great story has come out of this: Alejandro Villanueva.

The son of native Spaniards, Villanueva attended West Point and served 3 tours of duty in Afghanistan, earning the Bronze Star for valor. Then, at age 26, Villanueva decided to give the NFL a try. Against astronomical odds (he had to pay $245 just to attend a regional camp combine for NFL hopefuls), he made the Pittsburgh Steelers roster and is now in his 4th season as a solid starter on the O Line.

Yesterday, while the rest of his team stayed in the locker room, Villanueva came out alone for the anthem.

His own coach, Mike Tomlin, was even miffed with him over this act of defiance. "I was looking for 100 percent participation. We were gonna be respectful of our football team."

Until yesterday, only Steeler fans and serious NFL fans had ever even heard of this guy. But as of today, Villanueva is the most popular player in the NFL.

A spokesman for Fanatics, which runs the NFL's online store, confirmed to ESPN that, over the past 24 hours, more Villanueva gear, including jerseys and name and number T-shirts, has been ordered than that of any other NFL player. Villanueva beat out New England Patriots superstar quarterback Tom Brady for the top spot.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2017 21:59]

Good for him. We'll see if his gear remains the highest selling for a whole year in the way that Kaepernick's did.

For what it's worth, I hope he hasn't been pressured into a pseudo excuse/apology for being out there on his own. The freedom to make that choice is exactly what Trump is trying to deny the players and the other side shouldn't start employing Trump's tactics. It's beneath them.

I disagree with his going out there, but he absolutely has the right to do it and shouldn't be pressured or shamed about his choice in any way. Of course, there's no evidence he has been.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

This kneeling down protest on 00:39 - Sep 26 with 2680 viewsTummer_from_Texas

This kneeling down protest on 00:31 - Sep 26 by Humpty

Any evidence of this threatening and shaming Mike?

I'm glad you support free speech for everyone. How about Jemele Hill's free speech?

You know. The black female anchor for ESPN who criticized Trump on Twitter only for the White House to claim she should be sacked.

Of course not, and unless Villanueva was wearing a wire when it very clearly happened, there won't be. But it's pretty damned obvious what happened.

Yeah, I support Hill's free speech. I'd just like to see balance and consistency. Because I also support the free speech of Curt Shilling, the ESPN announcer who actually WAS fired from the network for his conservative beliefs.

Do you?

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

This kneeling down protest on 00:50 - Sep 26 with 2669 viewsHumpty

This kneeling down protest on 00:39 - Sep 26 by Tummer_from_Texas

Of course not, and unless Villanueva was wearing a wire when it very clearly happened, there won't be. But it's pretty damned obvious what happened.

Yeah, I support Hill's free speech. I'd just like to see balance and consistency. Because I also support the free speech of Curt Shilling, the ESPN announcer who actually WAS fired from the network for his conservative beliefs.

Do you?

When you say conservative beliefs you mean anti muslim and anti LGBT stuff yes? As a private company I think it's up to ESPN.

It has nothing to do with Trump trying to get people sacked for criticizing him on Twitter though. The bloke you voted for.
This kneeling down protest on 00:53 - Sep 26 with 2666 viewsHumpty

Hill was not fired because this was the first time she violated ESPN's rules on discussing politics. Schilling was fired because he had repeatedly been warned to stop and did not.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/espn-jemele-hill-curt-schilling-perceived-liberal-
This kneeling down protest on 02:22 - Sep 26 with 2641 viewsmacthejack

Frankly I find the weird fetishization of the flag and anthem of the united states creepy.
This kneeling down protest on 03:28 - Sep 26 with 2630 viewsnyc_swans

This kneeling down protest on 00:39 - Sep 26 by Tummer_from_Texas

Do you?

"for his conservative beliefs"
This kneeling down protest on 04:27 - Sep 26 with 2615 viewsTummer_from_Texas

This kneeling down protest on 03:28 - Sep 26 by nyc_swans

What difference does it make what his beliefs are? I think he's an idiot and simpleton, and I don't agree with him about much. Obviously, I don't agree with Hill about much, either. But neither deserve to get sacked for expressing their opinions about American politics. Their employer doing that, or being encouraged to do that, is not necessarily in violation of the 1st Amendment or otherwise illegal, it's just morally wrong. And dangerous.

You see, I stick up for the free speech rights of people I don't agree with, even people I can't stand. That's the part of the equation most of the sanctimonious jackasses who jumped on the Free Speech bandwagon this weekend completely ignore. When Shilling was fired, the Left didn't mention free speech once. Instead they applauded ESPN and defended the firing (like Humpty, above), because Shilling isn't with them.

But if Hill keeps expressing herself and ESPN ever fires her (which they won't, because they're not stupid), there would be an indescribable backlash. Not because her supporters really give a crap about free speech, but because they agree with her.

It's Leftist hypocrisy in its purest form.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2017 5:04]

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Login to get fewer ads

This kneeling down protest on 05:07 - Sep 26 with 2598 viewsHumpty

This kneeling down protest on 04:27 - Sep 26 by Tummer_from_Texas

What difference does it make what his beliefs are? I think he's an idiot and simpleton, and I don't agree with him about much. Obviously, I don't agree with Hill about much, either. But neither deserve to get sacked for expressing their opinions about American politics. Their employer doing that, or being encouraged to do that, is not necessarily in violation of the 1st Amendment or otherwise illegal, it's just morally wrong. And dangerous.

You see, I stick up for the free speech rights of people I don't agree with, even people I can't stand. That's the part of the equation most of the sanctimonious jackasses who jumped on the Free Speech bandwagon this weekend completely ignore. When Shilling was fired, the Left didn't mention free speech once. Instead they applauded ESPN and defended the firing (like Humpty, above), because Shilling isn't with them.

But if Hill keeps expressing herself and ESPN ever fires her (which they won't, because they're not stupid), there would be an indescribable backlash. Not because her supporters really give a crap about free speech, but because they agree with her.

It's Leftist hypocrisy in its purest form.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2017 5:04]

No Mike.

The issue of free speech is whether or not the government should come after you for expressing your opinion. In both cases the government hasn't. Though in one case the President has. The President you voted for.

Private companies do have the right to insist on a certain conduct from their employees. It seems like ESPN doesn't like their employees talking about politics as their public faces pissing off different parts of their viewers is not good for the business. I can understand that. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences.

It also seems likes ESPN gave multiple warnings to Mr Schilling which he chose to ignore. Miss Hill is now on her first warning. So right wing snowflakes moaning about how unfair it all is are comparing things which are completely different.

Like the article says. Apples and oranges.

There's also a hell of a difference between what both people said. Hill said Trump was a white supremacist. She criticized him because of his beliefs. Mr Schilling criticized muslims and LBGT people. No suprise a right wing Trump voter can't see the difference.

I'll agree with you on one thing. He is an idiot and simpleton. He want's journalists to be lynched. I can see why ESPN didn't want to employ him anymore.

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1149387-schilling-praises-awesome-shirt-promot

Anway Mike. Back to the original point. As such a lover of free speech why did you vote for a man who tries to get people who criticize him on Twitter sacked?
This kneeling down protest on 05:15 - Sep 26 with 2594 viewsHumpty

This kneeling down protest on 02:22 - Sep 26 by macthejack

Frankly I find the weird fetishization of the flag and anthem of the united states creepy.

Completely agree.

Kids swearing allegiance to the country everyday in front of a flag. Fetishization of the military. Anthem sung before sports games and woe betide anyone who doesn't agree.

Obviously it's up to Americans how the organize their affairs, but I'm glad we are not like that. It seems odd in a democracy. It has a certain whiff about it.
This kneeling down protest on 05:36 - Sep 26 with 2585 viewsTummer_from_Texas

This kneeling down protest on 05:07 - Sep 26 by Humpty

No Mike.

The issue of free speech is whether or not the government should come after you for expressing your opinion. In both cases the government hasn't. Though in one case the President has. The President you voted for.

Private companies do have the right to insist on a certain conduct from their employees. It seems like ESPN doesn't like their employees talking about politics as their public faces pissing off different parts of their viewers is not good for the business. I can understand that. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences.

It also seems likes ESPN gave multiple warnings to Mr Schilling which he chose to ignore. Miss Hill is now on her first warning. So right wing snowflakes moaning about how unfair it all is are comparing things which are completely different.

Like the article says. Apples and oranges.

There's also a hell of a difference between what both people said. Hill said Trump was a white supremacist. She criticized him because of his beliefs. Mr Schilling criticized muslims and LBGT people. No suprise a right wing Trump voter can't see the difference.

I'll agree with you on one thing. He is an idiot and simpleton. He want's journalists to be lynched. I can see why ESPN didn't want to employ him anymore.

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1149387-schilling-praises-awesome-shirt-promot

Anway Mike. Back to the original point. As such a lover of free speech why did you vote for a man who tries to get people who criticize him on Twitter sacked?

To answer your last sentence: because Hillary was the alternative.

As much as I disagree with Trump about a number of things, in the end it wasn't a hard choice, and I don't regret it. Hopefully, the Democrats and Republicans can offer at least one better choice in 2020.

To answer the earlier part of the post, I disagree that private companies should have the right to do that, and I hope that Shilling successfully sues the hell out of them, even though he's an ass. Americans, no matter how extreme and misguided their beliefs are, should be allowed to express themselves without their livelihood being placed at risk. If ESPN doesn't like their employees talking about politics, that's too damned bad. ESPN doesn't own their brains and souls when they are off the clock. If you let big companies do that, you are setting a very dangerous precedent.

If people complain that they won't watch the network anymore because of the personal beliefs of some individual who works for them, that network should reply "sorry, but we don't tell them what to think. And we can't fire someone for their private beliefs that have nothing to do with sports." As long as they are consistent and apply that policy to BOTH sides, they should be fine in the eyes of any reasonable, fair person.

That is how free speech works, my friend. It's a lot more than just the 1st Amendment. It's a lot more than just the government.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2017 5:46]

This kneeling down protest on 05:46 - Sep 26 with 2578 viewsHumpty

Btw kids. Do you know how long this ancient tradition of NFL players having to stand for the flag and the anthem has been going on for?

Since 2009.

That's when the military, in a time of unpopular wars, started paying the NFL to make their players do it.

Fake patriotic propaganda paid for by the Dept of Defense. And don't you dare not take part.

http://dailysnark.com/nfl-teams-didnt-stand-national-anthem-2009/

Thank f*ck we're not like that.
This kneeling down protest on 05:47 - Sep 26 with 2576 viewsphact0rri

That's exactly the point. I've got no problem with any player who kneels, stays in the locker room, urinates on the flag, whatever. That's their right, and that's what the flag stands for. I just think it's really cool that one defiant patriot and veteran has chosen not to fall in line with the Left, and he's gone from anonymous to the most popular jersey in the NFL in 24 hours.

But it's incredibly hypocritical and nauseating that those so-called "progressives" - who champion freedom of speech only when it's convenient to their cause - have now threatened and shamed him into apologizing for exercising his own rights.

And yes, I know you have a flag and anthem, but you don't know what it means to be an American. I've been reminded multiple times on this board, by you and others, that I can never understand what it means to have the passion of a real Jack because I'm an outsider who didn't come from Wales, even though we have sports teams we care a lot about in America. I respectfully never try to argue that point, but something exactly like it applies here, too.

So people said things to this chap that came out for the anthem? is it a the level of the people condemning those on one bended knee? Is there major political figures like POTUS condemning him? *bah* people have the right to protest, in the US and speak their minds. People can have problems with how people stand up and have themselves counted. but to claim someone is not a 'true american'. That they aren't patriotic because they stand up in defiance of a 'land of the free'? Not really quite sure how standing up for civil LIBERTY is unamerican.

I've lived in america long enough to know that most people love this country with every fibre of their being. sometimes people agree with the way its ran, sometimes they are against the way the country is governened. sometimes people feel sick seeing the atrocities commited by their county. and sometimes people glow with pride from the things their country does.

But in support of government, or speaking with the knowledge WE CAN BE BETTER, does not make someone unpatriotic. and unamerican. The unamericans are those who point fingers at expatriots and immigrants and "lefites" as being unamerican for the simple reason of not agreeing with them.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

This kneeling down protest on 05:55 - Sep 26 with 2570 viewsHumpty

This kneeling down protest on 05:36 - Sep 26 by Tummer_from_Texas

As much as I disagree with Trump about a number of things, in the end it wasn't a hard choice, and I don't regret it. Hopefully, the Democrats and Republicans can offer at least one better choice in 2020.

To answer the earlier part of the post, I disagree that private companies should have the right to do that, and I hope that Shilling successfully sues the hell out of them, even though he's an ass. Americans, no matter how extreme and misguided their beliefs are, should be allowed to express themselves without their livelihood being placed at risk. If ESPN doesn't like their employees talking about politics, that's too damned bad. ESPN doesn't own their brains and souls when they are off the clock. If you let big companies do that, you are setting a very dangerous precedent.

If people complain that they won't watch the network anymore because of the personal beliefs of some individual who works for them, that network should reply "sorry, but we don't tell them what to think. And we can't fire someone for their private beliefs that have nothing to do with sports." As long as they are consistent and apply that policy to BOTH sides, they should be fine in the eyes of any reasonable, fair person.

That is how free speech works, my friend. It's a lot more than just the 1st Amendment. It's a lot more than just the government.

I understand what you say Mike. But the law in your country says companies can do that.

It just amuses me that you scream about "the left" doing it, and "progressives" doing it.

You could have added "Donald Trump does it. The man I voted to be President of my country."

It would have been a bit more honest and a little less hypocritical.

Anyway. There you go. Have a nice day.
This kneeling down protest on 06:08 - Sep 26 with 2557 viewsTummer_from_Texas

This kneeling down protest on 05:55 - Sep 26 by Humpty

I understand what you say Mike. But the law in your country says companies can do that.

It just amuses me that you scream about "the left" doing it, and "progressives" doing it.

You could have added "Donald Trump does it. The man I voted to be President of my country."

It would have been a bit more honest and a little less hypocritical.

Anyway. There you go. Have a nice day.

Me, from a post from less than two hours ago:

"Their employer doing that, or being encouraged to do that, is not necessarily in violation of the 1st Amendment or otherwise illegal, it's just morally wrong. And dangerous."

Trump is the very person who encouraged ESPN to fire Hill, so that's exactly what I said. Nothing hypocritical or dishonest here, pal.

This kneeling down protest on 06:17 - Sep 26 with 2547 viewsHumpty

This kneeling down protest on 05:36 - Sep 26 by Tummer_from_Texas

Sorry but I have to ask.

What was it that made Hillary Clinton such a terrible candidate that you were forced to vote for a ridiculous racist manchild with a long history of ripping people off? A man who has made your country an absolute f*cking laughing stock in every country other than Russia?

Was it Benghazi? Emails? The Whitewater land deal? The murder of Vince Foster that she organized? The murder of Seth Rich she ordered? The Pizzagate thing, where she was running a child sex business from a pizza restaurant?

What bit of Republican/Fox news/Donald Trump invented bullshit made you think Donald f*cking Trump would be a better person to represent your country than Hillary Clinton?
This kneeling down protest on 06:22 - Sep 26 with 2545 viewsHumpty

This kneeling down protest on 06:08 - Sep 26 by Tummer_from_Texas

Me, from a post from less than two hours ago:

"Their employer doing that, or being encouraged to do that, is not necessarily in violation of the 1st Amendment or otherwise illegal, it's just morally wrong. And dangerous."

Trump is the very person who encouraged ESPN to fire Hill, so that's exactly what I said. Nothing hypocritical or dishonest here, pal.

Fair enough Mike. Pity you didn't mention him when you were excoriating "the left" and "progressives" earlier. Despite there being no evidence that your patriotic footballer has been bullied or threatened by the left or progressives. And lots of evidence of the President you voted for doing so. It's on the f*cking telly.

That's where the hypocrite bit comes in.
This kneeling down protest on 06:41 - Sep 26 with 2537 viewsTummer_from_Texas

This kneeling down protest on 06:17 - Sep 26 by Humpty

Sorry but I have to ask.

What was it that made Hillary Clinton such a terrible candidate that you were forced to vote for a ridiculous racist manchild with a long history of ripping people off? A man who has made your country an absolute f*cking laughing stock in every country other than Russia?

Was it Benghazi? Emails? The Whitewater land deal? The murder of Vince Foster that she organized? The murder of Seth Rich she ordered? The Pizzagate thing, where she was running a child sex business from a pizza restaurant?

What bit of Republican/Fox news/Donald Trump invented bullshit made you think Donald f*cking Trump would be a better person to represent your country than Hillary Clinton?

This really belongs in a separate thread about this specific subject, so I'll make my answer brief and kindly request that we don't devolve into a long thread highjack.

It was really the extensive corruption of the Clinton Foundation and other dealings that made them filthy rich as "public servants," more than any of that other stuff.

That, and 8 years of a Clinton White House was already more than enough for me. Truly trashy, sleazy, dishonest people, those folks.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2017 6:44]

This kneeling down protest on 07:38 - Sep 26 with 2513 viewsHighjack

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

This kneeling down protest on 07:45 - Sep 26 with 2508 viewsYossarian

The son of native Spaniards, Villanueva attended West Point and served 3 tours of duty in Afghanistan, earning the Bronze Star for valor. Then, at age 26, Villanueva decided to give the NFL a try. Against astronomical odds (he had to pay $245 just to attend a regional camp combine for NFL hopefuls), he made the Pittsburgh Steelers roster and is now in his 4th season as a solid starter on the O Line.

Yesterday, while the rest of his team stayed in the locker room, Villanueva came out alone for the anthem.

His own coach, Mike Tomlin, was even miffed with him over this act of defiance. "I was looking for 100 percent participation. We were gonna be respectful of our football team."

Until yesterday, only Steeler fans and serious NFL fans had ever even heard of this guy. But as of today, Villanueva is the most popular player in the NFL.

A spokesman for Fanatics, which runs the NFL's online store, confirmed to ESPN that, over the past 24 hours, more Villanueva gear, including jerseys and name and number T-shirts, has been ordered than that of any other NFL player. Villanueva beat out New England Patriots superstar quarterback Tom Brady for the top spot.

This all has a resonance with the athlete protests at the 1968 Olympics. In what was arguably a more febrile atmosphere, the Tommie Smith and John Carlos protest was 'answered' by none other than Heavyweight gold medalist George Foreman, who carried a tiny American flag onto the podium. Whilst Smith and Carlos were rightly praised for their courage, and were punished severely, Foreman emerged as a hero to white America. One thing is obvious, the battle for civil rights in the USA didn't end in 1968, so to return to the original thread, their peaceful and respectful protest over perceived injustice is most definitely relevant today.

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

This kneeling down protest on 09:54 - Sep 26 with 2470 viewsMo_Wives

This kneeling down protest on 06:17 - Sep 26 by Humpty

Sorry but I have to ask.

"What bit of Republican/Fox news/Donald Trump invented bullshit made you think Donald f*cking Trump would be a better person to represent your country than Hillary Clinton? "

"Your news is lying to you...but mines not lying to me". F*cking LOL.

Let me explain something to you, Hump. All corporate news channels are lying to us. Fox, CNN, MSNBC, BBC, RT, etc etc.... They are no longer in the business of presenting the truth. They are now click bait (if they can present the truth and maximise profits, result. If not, profit comes first). Fox panders to the right wing, CNN panders to the left wing. If you don't believe me, then let CNN producer, John Bonfield explain it to you. Here he is talking about the Trump/Russia story.

Edit -The illuminati are stopping the video being played. Anyone interested can find it on YouTube under the title:- American Pravda: CNN Producer says Russia Narrative "bullsh*t"
2nd Edit - I've added a shorter one including Van Jones (CNN presenter) agreeing

If you didn't take the time to watch it, then amongst other things he said:

>We have no proof of the Russia story but we run with it because it does the best business for us.

>The president (Trump) is right to say "You are witch hunting me. You have no proof"

>If we had treated President Obama the way we treat Trump, our liberal viewers would have been put off...they would have thought we were unnecessarily attacking him.

Open your eyes, Hump, all corporate news is run this way - Profit Trumps Truth (excuse the pun). So before you ask Tums "What was it that made you believe what you believe?" from your ivory tower. Why don't you sit down and ask yourself what made YOU believe what you believe?. Although, if you find the answer, I fear all the kings horses and all the kings men couldn't put Humpty together again.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2017 11:21]

Good luck, Mr Cooper

This kneeling down protest on 12:03 - Sep 26 with 2422 viewslondonlisa2001

Not been reminded of that by me.

The only point I've made on the subject is you can't claim to 'get it' just because you've watched JTAK. Nothing to do with nationality. I've said previously as an example, that Dav does 'get it' - the fact he's an American is neither here nor there.

As for the rest, the person who most champions free speech when it suits and threatens when it doesn't is Trump. And from the outside, there is nothing that could possibly disrespect your flag, anthem and nation more than having that idiot as your head of State. The peaceful and rather moving protests that have happened in the past few days bring nothing but admiration. I assume from your post that you don't believe the people involved to be patriots, but that suggests an incredibly narrow definition of what it means to be patriotic in my opinion.

It's also interesting that you describe the movement as being 'the Left'. Surely it's a movement for justice that straddles political divides?
This kneeling down protest on 12:07 - Sep 26 with 2417 viewsNeathJack

Errr.... http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/us-sport/national-football-league/taking-a-kn
This kneeling down protest on 14:04 - Sep 26 with 2365 viewswhoflungdung

Trump seems to unite people,at least on this side of the pond.

I ve spoken to both labour,Tory,lib Dems voters and most feel he s shaming America

Poll: Is it Spa or spa

This kneeling down protest on 14:19 - Sep 26 with 2346 viewsDarran

Why do people on here care so much about this shit?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024