Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This kneeling down protest 14:07 - Sep 25 with 58345 viewsLoyal

Relevant?

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

This kneeling down protest on 16:12 - Sep 27 with 1556 viewsDarran

This kneeling down protest on 16:04 - Sep 27 by londonlisa2001

No idea. Just saw an article saying that it started about 10 years ago or whatever.

Perhaps it's that they used to play it but before the players come onto the field? I know that they pay the teams now to stand there for the anthem.

Nonsense.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

This kneeling down protest on 16:12 - Sep 27 with 1556 viewsTummer_from_Texas

This kneeling down protest on 16:02 - Sep 27 by Darran

So Lisa's wrong then? 👀

The tradition goes back more than 150 years in baseball, but it was only done in special cases for many years.

It's been a standard occurrence at every sporting event at every level since WWII.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2017 16:14]

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

This kneeling down protest on 16:18 - Sep 27 with 1538 viewsTummer_from_Texas

This kneeling down protest on 16:11 - Sep 27 by londonlisa2001

You play it a lot, that's for sure.

Lot of people fly a flag as well, I've always noticed when I am in the States. Bizarrely, the poorer the area, the more flags.

I just checked the article that I saw - it's that they used to play it before any players were on the field apparently. They get millions now to stand. Odd.

This was Super Bowl X more than 40 years ago - the players are out there.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

This kneeling down protest on 16:27 - Sep 27 with 1519 viewsacejack3065

This kneeling down protest on 16:04 - Sep 27 by londonlisa2001

No idea. Just saw an article saying that it started about 10 years ago or whatever.

Perhaps it's that they used to play it but before the players come onto the field? I know that they pay the teams now to stand there for the anthem.

Perhaps you're thinking of the paid for military pomp before games?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/15611052/nfl-returning-723000-taxpayers-paid-
This kneeling down protest on 16:28 - Sep 27 with 1519 viewslondonlisa2001

This kneeling down protest on 16:18 - Sep 27 by Tummer_from_Texas

This was Super Bowl X more than 40 years ago - the players are out there.

It's played at the FA Cup final as well with the teams there. That's not the point.

As I say, I am just saying I read an article that said they get paid. In fact, it appears that there was a Senate report on the practice in 2015 saying that there was a $12m contract with sports teams to generally be patriotic.

As it happens, I really don't give a stuff Tummer. My only interest in this thread is that I found the peaceful protest to be quite powerful and the bloke that has been held up as heroic by you and others, has said it was a mistake. Whether or not the anthem is played or otherwise doesn't interest me. I find enforced patriotism ridiculous whether it is the US obsession with anthems and flags or North Korea clapping their leader for a day and a half in case they get shot. From a purely musical perspective I do wish that you played your anthem properly when you do play it, rather than have some sort of third rate Whitney Houston wannabe ruining the crap out of it, but that's not my problem anyway.
This kneeling down protest on 16:30 - Sep 27 with 1514 viewslondonlisa2001

This kneeling down protest on 16:27 - Sep 27 by acejack3065

Perhaps you're thinking of the paid for military pomp before games?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/15611052/nfl-returning-723000-taxpayers-paid-

Could be. I can't remember where I saw it, but the article referenced a senate report and also talked about payments being made to ensure that players were there for the anthem whereas they hadn't been previously (routinely I imagine, rather than for big finals etc). It was talking about why this issue was strangely obsessed about when it was relatively recent.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2017 16:32]
This kneeling down protest on 16:31 - Sep 27 with 1513 viewsDarran

This kneeling down protest on 16:28 - Sep 27 by londonlisa2001

It's played at the FA Cup final as well with the teams there. That's not the point.

As I say, I am just saying I read an article that said they get paid. In fact, it appears that there was a Senate report on the practice in 2015 saying that there was a $12m contract with sports teams to generally be patriotic.

As it happens, I really don't give a stuff Tummer. My only interest in this thread is that I found the peaceful protest to be quite powerful and the bloke that has been held up as heroic by you and others, has said it was a mistake. Whether or not the anthem is played or otherwise doesn't interest me. I find enforced patriotism ridiculous whether it is the US obsession with anthems and flags or North Korea clapping their leader for a day and a half in case they get shot. From a purely musical perspective I do wish that you played your anthem properly when you do play it, rather than have some sort of third rate Whitney Houston wannabe ruining the crap out of it, but that's not my problem anyway.

You don't give a stuff? When did you decide that Lis?

This kneeling down protest on 16:33 - Sep 27 with 1510 viewslondonlisa2001

This kneeling down protest on 16:31 - Sep 27 by Darran

You don't give a stuff? When did you decide that Lis?

I don't give a stuff about their anthem Darran. I've pointed out the bits I do give a stuff about which are the bits I've posted about.

Is this a bit difficult for you to follow?
Login to get fewer ads

This kneeling down protest on 16:35 - Sep 27 with 1505 viewsTummer_from_Texas

This kneeling down protest on 16:28 - Sep 27 by londonlisa2001

Nothing about our patriotism, for those who have it, is "enforced," Lisa.

And comparing the USA - where burning the flag is a LEGAL and protected right - to North Korea is pretty insulting, to put it mildly.

This kneeling down protest on 16:37 - Sep 27 with 1502 viewsDarran

This kneeling down protest on 16:33 - Sep 27 by londonlisa2001

I don't give a stuff about their anthem Darran. I've pointed out the bits I do give a stuff about which are the bits I've posted about.

Is this a bit difficult for you to follow?

This kneeling down protest on 16:38 - Sep 27 with 1499 viewslondonlisa2001

This is the article I was referring to.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/yp89dj/stephen-a-smith-points-out-nfls-pai
This kneeling down protest on 16:41 - Sep 27 with 1493 viewsacejack3065

This kneeling down protest on 16:30 - Sep 27 by londonlisa2001

Could be. I can't remember where I saw it, but the article referenced a senate report and also talked about payments being made to ensure that players were there for the anthem whereas they hadn't been previously (routinely I imagine, rather than for big finals etc). It was talking about why this issue was strangely obsessed about when it was relatively recent.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2017 16:32]

It is an odd one too IMO.

I went to a minor league baseball game as a guest a few years ago in up state New York. They treated us to free food and beer and a load of merch which was great. They gave us a load of T shirts and hats and stuff like that.

So we were all sitting there half p*ssed in these free hats and before the game everyone stands up and takes their hats off for the national anthem. We were a bit slow to react as we didn't anticipate what was about to happen but were basically death stared into doing likewise following suit. The other brit sitting next to me whispered "why are they singing the anthem? One team is from New York and the other is from Vermont"

Then about half way through the game everyone stopped and we had to do the same for "God Bless America". As grateful as I was for the great free evening, the whole charade around the anthem was highly bemusing and very strange.
This kneeling down protest on 16:44 - Sep 27 with 1486 viewslondonlisa2001

This kneeling down protest on 16:35 - Sep 27 by Tummer_from_Texas

Nothing about our patriotism, for those who have it, is "enforced," Lisa.

And comparing the USA - where burning the flag is a LEGAL and protected right - to North Korea is pretty insulting, to put it mildly.

Your president is trying to get people sacked for kneeling during the national anthem Tummer. Kids swear allegiance every day and it's not optional.

If that's not enforced patriotism then I really don't know what is.

And I was using two ends of a spectrum to make the point, not saying they were the same.
This kneeling down protest on 16:45 - Sep 27 with 1483 viewsDarran

This kneeling down protest on 16:41 - Sep 27 by acejack3065

It is an odd one too IMO.

I went to a minor league baseball game as a guest a few years ago in up state New York. They treated us to free food and beer and a load of merch which was great. They gave us a load of T shirts and hats and stuff like that.

So we were all sitting there half p*ssed in these free hats and before the game everyone stands up and takes their hats off for the national anthem. We were a bit slow to react as we didn't anticipate what was about to happen but were basically death stared into doing likewise following suit. The other brit sitting next to me whispered "why are they singing the anthem? One team is from New York and the other is from Vermont"

Then about half way through the game everyone stopped and we had to do the same for "God Bless America". As grateful as I was for the great free evening, the whole charade around the anthem was highly bemusing and very strange.

It's not odd it matters not one jot

This kneeling down protest on 16:47 - Sep 27 with 1475 viewsDarran

This kneeling down protest on 16:44 - Sep 27 by londonlisa2001

Your president is trying to get people sacked for kneeling during the national anthem Tummer. Kids swear allegiance every day and it's not optional.

If that's not enforced patriotism then I really don't know what is.

And I was using two ends of a spectrum to make the point, not saying they were the same.

He's not really trying though is he Lis? He said he thought they kneelers should be sacked he's not trying to pass a law in the House of Representatives to get them all fired.

You're still not giving a stuff then?

This kneeling down protest on 16:48 - Sep 27 with 1473 viewsacejack3065

This kneeling down protest on 16:45 - Sep 27 by Darran

It's not odd it matters not one jot

You don't think the flag and anthem fetishization is odd? Well I do, and everything that comes with the enforced patriotism that can often follow it.
This kneeling down protest on 16:51 - Sep 27 with 1464 viewsDarran

This kneeling down protest on 16:48 - Sep 27 by acejack3065

You don't think the flag and anthem fetishization is odd? Well I do, and everything that comes with the enforced patriotism that can often follow it.

No I don't they're very patriotic and they aren't doing anything wrong,I've never seen anyone mention it was odd under any other President it's just another silly stick to beat America with because of Trump.

This kneeling down protest on 17:01 - Sep 27 with 1454 viewslondonlisa2001

This kneeling down protest on 16:51 - Sep 27 by Darran

No I don't they're very patriotic and they aren't doing anything wrong,I've never seen anyone mention it was odd under any other President it's just another silly stick to beat America with because of Trump.

No one has said it's wrong. People have said it's odd.

Which it is.
This kneeling down protest on 17:01 - Sep 27 with 1452 viewsMo_Wives

The way I see Americans view on the flag is very much like our poppy. it's amongst other thing a symbol of their fallen soldiers.

Good luck, Mr Cooper

This kneeling down protest on 17:03 - Sep 27 with 1447 viewsMo_Wives

This kneeling down protest on 17:01 - Sep 27 by londonlisa2001

Which it is.

Do you think our remembrance day poppies are odd?

Good luck, Mr Cooper

This kneeling down protest on 17:03 - Sep 27 with 1444 viewstrampie

I've been to several sporting events (different sports) in the states not involving representative national teams but with individuals from other countries taking part but they still played the American anthem only, first time it happened it came as a bit of a surprise and I said to the Welsh lady i was with 'do you think we should stand ?' she said no chance, ranting about tax dodgers and terrorists to the crown.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2017 17:04]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

This kneeling down protest on 17:04 - Sep 27 with 1440 viewsDarran

This kneeling down protest on 17:01 - Sep 27 by londonlisa2001

Which it is.

This kneeling down protest on 17:06 - Sep 27 with 1432 viewsacejack3065

I never said they are doing anything wrong. Although I'm glad we don't have the government paying the premier league for military displays at swans games and standing for the anthem before every kickoff.

My experience happened when Obama was in office. It was weird then and it's weird now.
This kneeling down protest on 17:06 - Sep 27 with 1432 viewslondonlisa2001

This kneeling down protest on 16:47 - Sep 27 by Darran

He's not really trying though is he Lis? He said he thought they kneelers should be sacked he's not trying to pass a law in the House of Representatives to get them all fired.

You're still not giving a stuff then?

Again, my simple friend, you're missing the point. I don't care whether they do or don't play their anthem, when they play it, how many times, and who is supposed to listen to it, stand up, sit down or f*rt in its general direction. It's up to them. I find it weird, but I imagine they find some stuff that we do weird as well.

I do care about what their idiot president does in this and other situations. The two things are not a contradiction.
This kneeling down protest on 17:07 - Sep 27 with 1423 viewstrampie

When a Welsh team was last in the FA Cup final they insisted on the Welsh national anthem being played.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024