Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? 07:19 - Oct 4 with 7141 viewsPrivate_Partz

BBC Cardiff gleefully reporting this morn that a NPT Councillor had raised concerns about the lack of progress. Has anyone seen anything happening to date?
Ominously those involved in developing the CD have said it is good local councillors raise concerns.
Who is this unnamed Councillor? I would like to shake his hand.
Could this be going the same way as the MTC, rail electrification, city centre development and the Lagoon?
Meanwhile our local councillors fret about bins and financial cut backs whilst messers James and Hedges rack up their charity coffee morning attendances.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2017 7:22]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 08:59 - Oct 4 with 3374 viewsPacemaker

NPT could well pull out of city deal if there is nothing in it for them, why would they allow development be based in Swansea when Swansea council have constantly failed to deliver.

NPT has delivered the new "Swansea" University and tied in large manufacturing companies such as Rolls Royce, BP, Tata etc with the local schools and uni.

Bae Baglan super school for 3-16 year olds has tie ins with the Ospreys and Swans with its new sports facilities and Theatres with its arts centre.

Why have Swansea failed in this type of development. Why hasn't the Marina, Lc2 and city centre developments been done successfully? Swansea where the very early developers of a marina type housing and commercial centre, why did they sit on their laurels and leave it to stall?Why did the Hafod by pass take years to develop despite being a massive priority when the Harbour way Port Talbot by pass was done in half the time?

Then ask yourself would you risk your local authority to tie in with this lot?

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 09:01 - Oct 4 with 3370 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Rail electrification made little sense coming to Swansea. The lagoon will be a colossal white elephant. As for the city deal, Swansea does not need a 12,000 seater music venue, aquarium and probably other things dreamt up in that plan.

The city centre development is pointless if they're going to continue to allow thousands of student flats to be built inside it every year -it will put people off going in to town even further.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 09:04 - Oct 4 with 3363 viewswhoflungdung

Just depresses me to read this

Poll: Is it Spa or spa

City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 09:06 - Oct 4 with 3360 viewsBatterseajack

Phase 1 for St davids redevelopment in Swansea city center is definitely going ahead. Currently at RIBA stage 3 of design.
City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 09:08 - Oct 4 with 3357 viewsnantywatcher

City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 09:01 - Oct 4 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Rail electrification made little sense coming to Swansea. The lagoon will be a colossal white elephant. As for the city deal, Swansea does not need a 12,000 seater music venue, aquarium and probably other things dreamt up in that plan.

The city centre development is pointless if they're going to continue to allow thousands of student flats to be built inside it every year -it will put people off going in to town even further.

A large student population will bring with it a vibrancy and diversity that the city is crying out for(in my opinion)
City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 09:14 - Oct 4 with 3342 viewsBatterseajack

City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 09:01 - Oct 4 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Not necessarily, most other cities have student accommodation within the city center. good for business.
City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 09:14 - Oct 4 with 3340 viewsPacemaker

The original city deal when Terry Matthews was involved was for a new digital city developments tying in all regions with new cutting edge industries but Swansea Council have decided to ignore this and go along traditional style developments which no longer work.

To move forward as a region we need to be different and offer something new.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 09:15 - Oct 4 with 3335 viewswhoflungdung

IT most definitely does need an arena and many other things ..that draw people in not away

Login to get fewer ads

City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 09:37 - Oct 4 with 3304 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 09:15 - Oct 4 by whoflungdung

IT most definitely does need an arena and many other things ..that draw people in not away

Few bands capable of filling a 12,000 capacity venue are going to come here, as the risk the promoter would be taking is colossal. Why risk bringing someone like that to Swansea when 45 minutes east there are venues and a city proven to sell out such capacities almost daily.

It will end up hosting the occasional wedding fayre, university graduations and extremely over priced musical acts, targeted at middle aged adults, just like what we see annually at The Liberty.

City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 09:47 - Oct 4 with 3290 viewsBatterseajack

City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 09:37 - Oct 4 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Few bands capable of filling a 12,000 capacity venue are going to come here, as the risk the promoter would be taking is colossal. Why risk bringing someone like that to Swansea when 45 minutes east there are venues and a city proven to sell out such capacities almost daily.

It will end up hosting the occasional wedding fayre, university graduations and extremely over priced musical acts, targeted at middle aged adults, just like what we see annually at The Liberty.

It will be about a 3000 seat arena.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2017 9:53]
City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 09:51 - Oct 4 with 3278 viewsnantywatcher

City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 09:37 - Oct 4 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Bristol pulls in some top acts with just a 3,000 capacity venue.
City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 09:57 - Oct 4 with 3262 viewswhoflungdung

If 3000 seems rather pointless .

Plenty of bands ,shows fill those arenas

Hell, with its historical culture Swansea should stand above.

There is no venue westwards or north westwards whatsoever.

Swansea should be drawing people in not repelling them

Dwight. What do you suggest to re invent a once great town

City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 10:05 - Oct 4 with 3244 viewsBatterseajack

City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 09:57 - Oct 4 by whoflungdung

Pointless? Its actually 3500. That's similar to the Apollo in hammersmith and only 1500 less than the Royal Albert hall. Whilst its probably not big enough to host a one direction gig, its perfect for stand up shows and smaller gigs which could be run more frequently.

Grand theater at a 1000 seats doesn't quite cut it.
City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 10:33 - Oct 4 with 3201 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 09:57 - Oct 4 by whoflungdung

As someone above mentioned, promote new industries to come here. Why we are trying to become a second rate Cardiff or Bristol is puzzling.

The same applies to a 3500 arena. Bands aren't going to go to two cities in South Wales in such close proximity. Why choose Swansea over The Great Hall in Cardiff?

City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 10:45 - Oct 4 with 3184 viewsBatterseajack

City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 10:33 - Oct 4 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

As someone above mentioned, promote new industries to come here. Why we are trying to become a second rate Cardiff or Bristol is puzzling.

The same applies to a 3500 arena. Bands aren't going to go to two cities in South Wales in such close proximity. Why choose Swansea over The Great Hall in Cardiff?

So 12000 seater is too many, 3500 is not enough, what number would you go for? or would you do without an arena all together?

Bands will go anywhere where promoters pay them to go to.
City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 10:56 - Oct 4 with 3160 viewsDarran

City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 10:45 - Oct 4 by Batterseajack

So 12000 seater is too many, 3500 is not enough, what number would you go for? or would you do without an arena all together?

I’m not disagreeing but lots of big bands seem to be missing out the CIA these days too.
I’ve noticed in recent times they seem to do the north,play Birmingham and then head to London.
Just saying.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 10:58 - Oct 4 with 3151 viewsDarran

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/cutting-edge-new-swansea-indoor-137

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 11:02 - Oct 4 with 3143 viewsProfessor

City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 10:33 - Oct 4 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

The Great Hall is little over 1200. There are few venues in South Wales for that 1500-5000 crowd. Newport Centre used to corner that market. Done well it could work,
City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 11:05 - Oct 4 with 3129 viewsProfessor

City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 09:14 - Oct 4 by Batterseajack

Not necessarily, most other cities have student accommodation within the city center. good for business.

Indeed. We (Liverpool) have built new accommodation in the centre (essentially tower blocks) and are selling off the traditional 'out of town' halls for housing land. Helping drive a thriving restaurant, bar and entertainment scene.
City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 11:10 - Oct 4 with 3119 viewswestside

http://www.swanseabaycityregion.com/en/cd.htm

says at the bottom what NPT is getting
City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 11:52 - Oct 4 with 3076 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 10:45 - Oct 4 by Batterseajack

I know a handful of promoters who bring most of these mid size bands to Swansea from my time working in a music venue here and they certainly wont risk £10,000+ on bringing these to Swansea. By their own admission, the music scene here is rubbish and people just don't pay to see live music here.

We should be looking at attracting businesses and entertainment that other nearby places do not have. Why we are trying to be a second string Cardiff is beyond me.

The aquarium I can partially understand, although Plantasia is in a constant state of financial difficulties so I am not sure why a similar venue which will cost far more to maintain would fare any differently.

City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 12:25 - Oct 4 with 3043 viewslondonlisa2001

City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 09:08 - Oct 4 by nantywatcher

A large student population will bring with it a vibrancy and diversity that the city is crying out for(in my opinion)

And it's a model that has worked incredibly successfully in cities such as Sheffield which has been transformed.

Dwight perhaps doesn't realise that some students go out and spend money as his experience of being a student appears to be sitting on the internet being as negative as possible about everything Swansea or Swans related interspersed with catching up with breitbart and Infowars.
City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 12:32 - Oct 4 with 3026 viewslondonlisa2001

City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 11:52 - Oct 4 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

I know a handful of promoters who bring most of these mid size bands to Swansea from my time working in a music venue here and they certainly wont risk £10,000+ on bringing these to Swansea. By their own admission, the music scene here is rubbish and people just don't pay to see live music here.

We should be looking at attracting businesses and entertainment that other nearby places do not have. Why we are trying to be a second string Cardiff is beyond me.

The aquarium I can partially understand, although Plantasia is in a constant state of financial difficulties so I am not sure why a similar venue which will cost far more to maintain would fare any differently.

Funnily enough, I think I believe ATG rather than someone who's put on a couple of bands in the Student Union about what will work.

Did you speak with these promoters when you mistakenly believed the capacity to be 12,000 or since you've found out it's 3,500?

Cardiff doesn't have anywhere by the way that can rival the planned arena - that's the whole point.
City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 12:55 - Oct 4 with 2991 viewsMeraki

City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 11:52 - Oct 4 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Not sure how a digital aquarium would cost that much to maintain?
City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 13:36 - Oct 4 with 2958 viewsProfessor

City Deal - Another 'artist impression'? on 12:32 - Oct 4 by londonlisa2001

Funnily enough, I think I believe ATG rather than someone who's put on a couple of bands in the Student Union about what will work.

Did you speak with these promoters when you mistakenly believed the capacity to be 12,000 or since you've found out it's 3,500?

Cardiff doesn't have anywhere by the way that can rival the planned arena - that's the whole point.

Some excellent points- late student populations help stimulate the 'night time economy'. Long gone are the days of cheap drinks and a disco. Students want a nice evening out these days. The mix of students and locals has given central Liverpool a real buzz. Now more students are in halls in the centre there is more demand-new supermarkets, cafes etc.

There is a dearth of 1000-5000 capacity venues in South Wales. A canny promoter should recognise this.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2017 13:36]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024