Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... 22:00 - Oct 5 with 11827 viewsTNT

We've lost a proper Jack Bastard, this week, in Dai.

http://tinypic.com/r/w8up9j/9

Those of you who have followed The Swans since the early '70s to present day may know Dai (holding scarf aloft, for those who may not). Sadly, he passed away on Tuesday morning.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2017 22:07]

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 22:50 - Oct 7 with 2921 viewsWarwickHunt

We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 21:57 - Oct 7 by TNT

Many, many thanks for the messages of condolence both on and off this site. Much appreciated. As John Toshack once said, ‘You will never know… [how much]’.
When Dai lived in London, we would traipse around Division Four grounds all over the country. I would travel from Swansea, and we would meet at the players’ entrance of every ground, and go from there. Not that we met any players, but at a time of no mobile phones it was an arrangement that worked. Having said that, we were once flummoxed at Oxford in ’78 as there was no official players’ entrance, but meet up we did (0-2, Robbie James). By the time we met Dai, he always had a story to tell of an encounter that he or other Swans fans had en route. Many were true, but Dai could also spin a good yarn! When he told a story though, everyone listened. Poetic licence was his forte!
There were good days, the obvious at Preston, Torquay, Rotherham, Bury, Gillingham, PO Final, but also many, many serendipitous days which were great regardless of fixture or venue — just great days.
There were bad days, like the 5-1 and 7-0 drubbings at Fulham, but a good drink in The Builders Arms Hammersmith (?). Dai was always last to get a pint in, as anyone who has been in a round with him will testify! And there were more…
There were ugly days, like West Ham in ‘79/’80 when Dai held a large group of Swans fans together as we walked to the ground, passing their pubs, when we could easily have been scattered, with him at the forefront and first to get hammered had they decided to charge.
I’ll never forget him up on the fence at top of the table Northampton, when Pascoe scored the winner — a man of his age, too! I still have the photo, and many, many, other memories locked in the mind and heart forever. ‘Til we meet once again mate, in the away end, in the sky. Love you, miss you, YJB! Nos da, wus.

Lovely stuff.
We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 21:55 - Oct 13 with 2789 viewsTNT

We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 22:52 - Oct 5 by giantstoneater

Dai "The Spy" Williams A True Jack and one of the world's true characters and main supplier of laughs in that group (I'm in the photo) A wonderful Husband, father and uncle and a sad loss indeed. He used to see Cardiff fans everywhere we went on our travels and I'm sure he checked under his bed for them before he went to sleep!! RIP YJB!

I have contacted most people personally with the information, but in case I’ve missed anyone the arrangements for Dai’s funeral are:

St Mary’s Church, Plympton, Monday 23rd October, at 2:30 p.m.
Crematorium 3:30 p.m.
Wake in The Con Club, The Ridgeway, thereafter.
Swans tops for those who wish to wear them, and although I don’t wish to start a flag thread ( ! ), there’ll be flags in The George, as he loved his Swans’ flags.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2017 1:00]

We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 23:26 - Oct 20 with 2692 viewsTNT

[IMG] http://i66.tinypic.com/aaf01v.jpg[/IMG]

We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 01:10 - Oct 21 with 2641 viewsTNT

The wake is in The Con Club in Ridgeway, on Monday 23rd October, not The George as first stated.

We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 10:15 - Oct 21 with 2547 viewsLoyal

Great stuff TNT.
I was speaking to a mate of his last weekend at the liberty. Apparently a beer for Dai is being planned prior to the Man Utd game ?

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 11:43 - Oct 21 with 2508 viewsgiantstoneater

We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 10:15 - Oct 21 by Loyal

Great stuff TNT.
I was speaking to a mate of his last weekend at the liberty. Apparently a beer for Dai is being planned prior to the Man Utd game ?

In the Globe Loyal.
We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 10:21 - Oct 22 with 2434 viewsTNT

We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 10:15 - Oct 21 by Loyal

Great stuff TNT.

Yes mate. Off to Plymouth now, back for Man U.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024