Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... 22:00 - Oct 5 with 11819 viewsTNT

We've lost a proper Jack Bastard, this week, in Dai.

http://tinypic.com/r/w8up9j/9

Those of you who have followed The Swans since the early '70s to present day may know Dai (holding scarf aloft, for those who may not). Sadly, he passed away on Tuesday morning.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2017 22:07]

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 22:06 - Oct 5 with 8860 viewsDarran

Very sad.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 22:11 - Oct 5 with 8836 viewspencoedjack

RIP YJB

Condolences to his family
We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 22:22 - Oct 5 with 8784 viewsGaryjack

RIP. Taken from us far too soon by the look of that picture. Bless him and his family.

YJB
We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 22:31 - Oct 5 with 8762 viewslonglostjack

RIP

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 22:33 - Oct 5 with 8753 viewsstevethejack

We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 22:22 - Oct 5 by Garyjack

RIP. Taken from us far too soon by the look of that picture. Bless him and his family.

YJB

Echo your sentiments

Looks like the Builders Arms, my Vetch Field local.
We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 22:35 - Oct 5 with 8742 viewsKilkennyjack

RIP mate

Beware of the Risen People

We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 22:38 - Oct 5 with 8733 viewsTNT

We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 22:33 - Oct 5 by stevethejack

Echo your sentiments

Looks like the Builders Arms, my Vetch Field local.

You're right mate, upstairs in The Builders, before going on The North Bank for that Hull game.

We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 22:52 - Oct 5 with 8670 viewsmax936

RIP Dai.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Login to get fewer ads

We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 22:52 - Oct 5 with 8669 viewsgiantstoneater

Dai "The Spy" Williams A True Jack and one of the world's true characters and main supplier of laughs in that group (I'm in the photo) A wonderful Husband, father and uncle and a sad loss indeed. He used to see Cardiff fans everywhere we went on our travels and I'm sure he checked under his bed for them before he went to sleep!! RIP YJB!
We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 22:55 - Oct 5 with 8648 viewsTNT

We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 22:22 - Oct 5 by Garyjack

YJB

That was taken before that Hull game. He was now 63, Ga.

We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 23:02 - Oct 5 with 8623 viewsGaryjack

We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 22:55 - Oct 5 by TNT

That was taken before that Hull game. He was now 63, Ga.

We all expect to live a lot longer than that eh. Who knows what comes to any of us at any time. Very sad.
We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 00:49 - Oct 6 with 8498 viewsWarwickHunt

We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 22:52 - Oct 5 by giantstoneater

Dai "The Spy" Williams A True Jack and one of the world's true characters and main supplier of laughs in that group (I'm in the photo) A wonderful Husband, father and uncle and a sad loss indeed. He used to see Cardiff fans everywhere we went on our travels and I'm sure he checked under his bed for them before he went to sleep!! RIP YJB!

Remember Dai at the early London Jacks meetings in the pubs around Covent Garden. Think he moved to Plymouth with his job.

Quite a character and Jack to the bone. Way too young...condolences to friends and family.

RIP, YJB.
We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 01:57 - Oct 6 with 8467 viewsJack_Meoff

RIP fellow Jack

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 06:44 - Oct 6 with 8388 viewssplJack

RIP Dai, YJB.
We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 07:51 - Oct 6 with 8314 views34dfgdf54

Rest in peace Dai.

YJB
We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 07:54 - Oct 6 with 8304 viewsepaul

RIP YJB

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 08:32 - Oct 6 with 8250 viewsPhil_S

Known Dai for many years from trips with the MAGS back in the day

Havent seen him for far too long - think the Liberty move saw that happen to too many people

RIP YJB
We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 09:03 - Oct 6 with 8199 viewsPegojack

RIP YJB.
We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 09:43 - Oct 6 with 8141 viewsSwanzay

RIP YJB!
We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 12:52 - Oct 6 with 7978 viewsYossarian

We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 08:32 - Oct 6 by Phil_S

Havent seen him for far too long - think the Liberty move saw that happen to too many people

RIP YJB

Always liked the MAGS piece in the programme. Away trips aren’t the same in the big time. One of the best trips was in our Lazarus season when we went to Orient and had a great and post match drink.
RIP Sir.

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 16:04 - Oct 6 with 7839 viewsswan65split

RIP YJB,
We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 16:26 - Oct 6 with 7804 viewsFlashberryjack

RIP fellow Jack.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 21:16 - Oct 6 with 7634 viewsLoyal

I knew Dai, not that well, my old man used to live in Bristol and as a kid when he had custody we would travel with the MAGS, I don't remember all of the boys, I was maybe 15 then. They became a big group if I recall I forgot about he programme stuff. Spoke to my old man he sends his best as TNT already knows. I think Phil knew him very well, as did Keith, Mick and Ady from the MAGS, quality boys they were, they never backed down. And Dai was the same, true grit and spirit. Lovely guy. My old man was pretty upset and on behalf of me and him condolences to the family, Chris must be destroyed he loved his dad.

I still hear the stories today about a week in palamos, Betty and all, when the Gloucester boys hired a mini bus to see the swans in Barcelona. Fcking crackers.
RIP you mad lovely jack bastard.

Edit - just noticed Phil's post.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2017 21:19]

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 21:54 - Oct 7 with 7299 viewsTNT

We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 08:32 - Oct 6 by Phil_S

RIP YJB

Dai had been following The Swans for many years before I started going in ’76. Work took him to London for fifteen years, where he made some great mates during the inception of The London Swans. Work then took him to Devon, during which time he made some great mates within The MAGS. Dai was old school, and preferred The Vetch and the lower leagues. In fact, you probably would’ve seen more of him had we dropped out of the league, than you have in recent years in the PL. He struggled with the PL, a completely different beast to what he’d grown up with and loved. I must admit, I struggle with it too, but it is what it is. After he’d moved away in the 70’s, he’d depend entirely on his coveted Sporting Post arriving on a Tuesday morning to keep him informed of The Swans. The internet, Sky / BT coverage, mobile phone etc. had changed that in more recent times, but he kept in touch with every minute detail of Swans information. Although he was a ST holder for the first five PL seasons, he travelled from Plymouth less and less. Also, he’d become a very proud Grandfather, to two little girls, in the last four years.

We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 21:57 - Oct 7 with 7297 viewsTNT

We've lost a proper Jack Bastard... on 21:16 - Oct 6 by Loyal

I knew Dai, not that well, my old man used to live in Bristol and as a kid when he had custody we would travel with the MAGS, I don't remember all of the boys, I was maybe 15 then. They became a big group if I recall I forgot about he programme stuff. Spoke to my old man he sends his best as TNT already knows. I think Phil knew him very well, as did Keith, Mick and Ady from the MAGS, quality boys they were, they never backed down. And Dai was the same, true grit and spirit. Lovely guy. My old man was pretty upset and on behalf of me and him condolences to the family, Chris must be destroyed he loved his dad.

I still hear the stories today about a week in palamos, Betty and all, when the Gloucester boys hired a mini bus to see the swans in Barcelona. Fcking crackers.
RIP you mad lovely jack bastard.

Edit - just noticed Phil's post.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2017 21:19]

Many, many thanks for the messages of condolence both on and off this site. Much appreciated. As John Toshack once said, ‘You will never know… [how much]’.
When Dai lived in London, we would traipse around Division Four grounds all over the country. I would travel from Swansea, and we would meet at the players’ entrance of every ground, and go from there. Not that we met any players, but at a time of no mobile phones it was an arrangement that worked. Having said that, we were once flummoxed at Oxford in ’78 as there was no official players’ entrance, but meet up we did (0-2, Robbie James). By the time we met Dai, he always had a story to tell of an encounter that he or other Swans fans had en route. Many were true, but Dai could also spin a good yarn! When he told a story though, everyone listened. Poetic licence was his forte!
There were good days, the obvious at Preston, Torquay, Rotherham, Bury, Gillingham, PO Final, but also many, many serendipitous days which were great regardless of fixture or venue — just great days.
There were bad days, like the 5-1 and 7-0 drubbings at Fulham, but a good drink in The Builders Arms Hammersmith (?). Dai was always last to get a pint in, as anyone who has been in a round with him will testify! And there were more…
There were ugly days, like West Ham in ‘79/’80 when Dai held a large group of Swans fans together as we walked to the ground, passing their pubs, when we could easily have been scattered, with him at the forefront and first to get hammered had they decided to charge.
I’ll never forget him up on the fence at top of the table Northampton, when Pascoe scored the winner — a man of his age, too! I still have the photo, and many, many, other memories locked in the mind and heart forever. ‘Til we meet once again mate, in the away end, in the sky. Love you, miss you, YJB! Nos da, wus.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024