Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your Vetchfield routine 17:51 - Oct 7 with 5781 viewsMrSwerve

I was born in 1987 and started going to the Vetch around 1990...so by the time the Vetch closed, I was about 17 and despite going with mates many, many times, I was slightly too young to go out on the razz properly.

I thought it would be good and interesting on this 'off weekend' for people to share their routines, what time you'd get into town for a 3pm kickoff, where you'd go before the game, what you would do after the game win or loss, what time you'd end up getting in.

I'm sure there's some interesting stories!

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Your Vetchfield routine on 17:55 - Oct 7 with 3464 viewsexiledclaseboy

Pub at 12 (firstly the Builders, Potters Wheel, Wyndham and various other Sandfields pubs, latterly the old White Rose/Bar Reef). Game at 3. Pint at half time, back to the pub, head home about 7. My routine is still exactly the same. Only the pubs have changed.

Poll: Tory leader

Your Vetchfield routine on 18:04 - Oct 7 with 3445 viewsunion_jack

Your Vetchfield routine on 17:55 - Oct 7 by exiledclaseboy

Pub at 12 (firstly the Builders, Potters Wheel, Wyndham and various other Sandfields pubs, latterly the old White Rose/Bar Reef). Game at 3. Pint at half time, back to the pub, head home about 7. My routine is still exactly the same. Only the pubs have changed.

The George on Walter Rd for some liquid refreshment and a pasty.

When I was younger it would then be home after the game, get into some night-out clobber and bus it back to town,

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Your Vetchfield routine on 18:06 - Oct 7 with 3427 viewsexiledclaseboy

Your Vetchfield routine on 18:04 - Oct 7 by union_jack

The George on Walter Rd for some liquid refreshment and a pasty.

When I was younger it would then be home after the game, get into some night-out clobber and bus it back to town,

before I was of drinking age I’d be on the 36 bus back to Clase in time to get The Sporting from the shop at the bottom of our street. Then Bob’s Full House and the Paul Daniels Magic show or some such 1980s Saturday night entertainment.

Poll: Tory leader

Your Vetchfield routine on 18:08 - Oct 7 with 3422 viewsPrivate_Partz

Cycle from Dunvant down to County Hall. Park the bike up there then over the Potters until the very last minute. Another pint in the Mel Nurse Bar at HT then over The Clarence at the end for another to watch the results come in.
I would then wobble home along the Prom pished . Most of the time the bike was with me ;-)
[Post edited 7 Oct 2017 18:09]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Your Vetchfield routine on 18:13 - Oct 7 with 3405 viewssherpajacob

No.14 bus, have a mooch around Giles sports, and then when I was old enough a few pints in the builders, chips from macaris afterwards.

Didn't normally need to get a spot on north bank, near TV gantry until about 2.50.

Always enjoyed evening kick offs more for some reason.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Your Vetchfield routine on 18:13 - Oct 7 with 3403 viewsdickythorpe

Started being taken at 8 years of age by my old man. Used to love half time. Would buy the pasties that defied modern day cuisine - half frozen one end half piping hot the other. Used to love the sweet tea! Then run around shouting "oi" before getting back to my old man telling him "massive queues dad"....despite being hardly even half full!!!!
[Post edited 7 Oct 2017 18:25]
Your Vetchfield routine on 18:21 - Oct 7 with 3386 viewsstevethejack

Into town by bus for around noon or 1pm. Sometimes the Wyndham, but generally The Builders upstairs. A good couple of pints before the game, nuclear hot pasty at half time and a dash back to the Builders after the final whistle to get the full time results, and several pints.

Often a trek around the Sandfields pub with one or two in each. Did it a couple of times on crutches after a broken leg, hard going when worse for wear. Always got given a seat in the pubs though.

Robin Hood, The Badminton, The Brooklands, amongst others.
Your Vetchfield routine on 18:25 - Oct 7 with 3380 viewsSwanzay

Bryn y mor at midday, then post match to either celebrate or mourn before staggering to the news agents to pick up "The Sporting" on the way home or head into town.
Login to get fewer ads

Your Vetchfield routine on 18:27 - Oct 7 with 3373 viewsShonky

White Rose, Kebab, Northbank.... sigh

Its just a ride...

Your Vetchfield routine on 18:50 - Oct 7 with 3326 viewsTheResurrection

Going down with the old man from the late 70's as kids back then so mother went shopping, we'd go to the game and meet her in the Quadrant.

Drinking years often varied, into town along The Kingsway, Queens but always the Gari, apart from a season or two in the Panty, North Bank in the early years, Centre stand a lot towards the end, back to Gari then Martha's til the morning.

All that changed when Cardiff were in town, then it could be anywhere, from the Guild Hall to the Leisure Centre car park to the High Street.

Good Ol Vetch ❤

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

Your Vetchfield routine on 19:22 - Oct 7 with 3258 viewsSPboy

Routines changed through different eras depending on age. Back in the day it was always the Park or the Griffin bar. Then the Queens and the pub (can’t remember the name) under the Valbonne club. In the latter days of the Vetch always the George before the match & Bar Reef after.

Miss those days - when Cardiff were in town it would be High Street or the Swansea Jack
Your Vetchfield routine on 19:26 - Oct 7 with 3257 viewsunion_jack

Your Vetchfield routine on 18:06 - Oct 7 by exiledclaseboy

before I was of drinking age I’d be on the 36 bus back to Clase in time to get The Sporting from the shop at the bottom of our street. Then Bob’s Full House and the Paul Daniels Magic show or some such 1980s Saturday night entertainment.

Than God I was old enough to go out! Sounds like purgatory.

Your Vetchfield routine on 19:38 - Oct 7 with 3228 viewssherpajacob

Your Vetchfield routine on 19:26 - Oct 7 by union_jack

Than God I was old enough to go out! Sounds like purgatory.

As opposed to the high quality Saturday night TV we get now.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Your Vetchfield routine on 19:42 - Oct 7 with 3223 viewsGowerjack

Garibaldi
Pints of Dark
Bookies ( alaways 3-1 to the Swans)
More pints of dark.
2.55pm
Time for a quick pint of dark before kick off.
Tap the top of the left hand tunnel
1st half
Go for a half time wade.
2nd half.
Don't bother going back to the bookies
Pints of dark
Sporting Post
Mountain Dew
Pints of dark
Bed

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Your Vetchfield routine on 19:43 - Oct 7 with 3220 viewsunion_jack

Your Vetchfield routine on 19:38 - Oct 7 by sherpajacob

As opposed to the high quality Saturday night TV we get now.

How true.

It's always been cr@p on Saturday evenings.

Your Vetchfield routine on 19:46 - Oct 7 with 3213 viewsPegojack

When I first started going as a kid, it was from Baglan driven by my dad in hisbattered Vauxhall Victor estate along with three or four of my schoolmates. We'd all be clutching the wooden football rattles we'd made in woodwork class. We're talking the 1960s here.
In the last ten years of the Vetch, There were five Hereford Jacks who used to share the driving, one of which is no longer with us (RIP Dave, YJB). We used to park up near the Queens and have lunch and a few pints there before leaving about 2.40 just in time to enter the East Terrace. Straight back home after the match, over the Beacons in all weathers. Some things don't change.
Your Vetchfield routine on 19:49 - Oct 7 with 3205 viewslonglostjack

It varied and depended on whether the family was in Swansea for the weekend. If so it was no problem. Otherwise I'd get a Richards coach from outside the fish and chip shop in Cardigan. Used to dash out after game and run to the pet shop that was near the ground to get fresh water fleas for the goldfish. Then back on coach at the Quadrant. We're talking the seventies - too young for the pubs in Sandfields in those days unfortunately. Then came the eighties and the move abroad. Sporadic visits after that.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Your Vetchfield routine on 19:57 - Oct 7 with 3178 viewsxmastree

Your Vetchfield routine on 19:49 - Oct 7 by longlostjack

It varied and depended on whether the family was in Swansea for the weekend. If so it was no problem. Otherwise I'd get a Richards coach from outside the fish and chip shop in Cardigan. Used to dash out after game and run to the pet shop that was near the ground to get fresh water fleas for the goldfish. Then back on coach at the Quadrant. We're talking the seventies - too young for the pubs in Sandfields in those days unfortunately. Then came the eighties and the move abroad. Sporadic visits after that.

I lived on glamorgan street. Would go into town for a few first. In latter years managed to get out at half time and refuel at home 😂
Your Vetchfield routine on 19:58 - Oct 7 with 3176 viewsjack2jack

Your Vetchfield routine on 19:22 - Oct 7 by SPboy

Routines changed through different eras depending on age. Back in the day it was always the Park or the Griffin bar. Then the Queens and the pub (can’t remember the name) under the Valbonne club. In the latter days of the Vetch always the George before the match & Bar Reef after.

Miss those days - when Cardiff were in town it would be High Street or the Swansea Jack

City Tavern
Your Vetchfield routine on 20:03 - Oct 7 with 3164 viewsPegojack

Your Vetchfield routine on 18:50 - Oct 7 by TheResurrection

Going down with the old man from the late 70's as kids back then so mother went shopping, we'd go to the game and meet her in the Quadrant.

Drinking years often varied, into town along The Kingsway, Queens but always the Gari, apart from a season or two in the Panty, North Bank in the early years, Centre stand a lot towards the end, back to Gari then Martha's til the morning.

All that changed when Cardiff were in town, then it could be anywhere, from the Guild Hall to the Leisure Centre car park to the High Street.

Good Ol Vetch ❤

Is Haydn still with us, Chris? I haven"t seen him for a long time.
Your Vetchfield routine on 20:05 - Oct 7 with 3156 viewsAl_Bundy

Train from Paddington to Swansea, my old man would pick me up (sadly passed away now) from the station, then earlyish lunch at his in West Cross, few beers then into Swansea to the Potters then to the North Bank. Happy days plus load of crappy days too.
Your Vetchfield routine on 20:07 - Oct 7 with 3151 viewsFlashberryjack

Me and my mates would park up in the gasworks car park (friend had the key to the gate)
Then onto the Swansea Jack, couple of pints there then stroll over to the Vetch.

Sadly some of those mates never got to see us in the PL god bless em.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Your Vetchfield routine on 20:08 - Oct 7 with 3145 viewslonglostjack

Your Vetchfield routine on 19:57 - Oct 7 by xmastree

I lived on glamorgan street. Would go into town for a few first. In latter years managed to get out at half time and refuel at home 😂

There were a fair few on Glamorgan Street who had a decent view of the game from where they were staying.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Your Vetchfield routine on 20:17 - Oct 7 with 3116 viewsDr_Winston

My dad lives about 300 yards away from the place and I used to stay there for the weekend when I was a kid so that was easy.

Rarely drink before games even since being old enough so usually straight there about 45-30 minutes before kick off. Usually back to Morriston for beer after.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Your Vetchfield routine on 20:54 - Oct 7 with 3024 viewsmarchamjack

As said by others routines changed over the years as growing up from catching bus from Gorseinon with mates and arcade pre match/macaris post match in mid/late 70s, to pub pre and post match by the end. Last regular pub was the Wyndham...10 to 3...shall we get one more in?...! Different times 😁

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024