Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Council funding figures for Wales.... 16:01 - Oct 10 with 8296 viewsWxmJax

.....have been announced. Cuts for every council in Wales bar one. Any guesses ?

From Wrexham website

http://www.wrexham.com/news/further-0-3-cut-on-the-cards-for-wrexham-council-as-

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Council funding figures for Wales.... on 12:16 - Oct 15 with 2097 viewsnice_to_michu

Council funding figures for Wales.... on 08:32 - Oct 14 by Private_Partz

Langy''s advice above is a goody. Check out Jac O the North''s site and the article on 'Bay of Corruption'. It was as dodgy as Hell. British Ports and Lord Crickhowell do not come out of it very well at all. Of course our Cardiff based media will not touch it. Jac has some barmy politics but one thing he does do is back up his articles with masses of detail. A treasure trove for a real investigative journalist. Unfortunately none exist in this area.
Also check out the cronies and jobs for the boys in the Red Tories' Charity and Housing Assiciation work. It is shocking.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2017 10:59]

It's not detail though is it. Detail in an actual investigation would come from transcripts, consultations, minutes from meetings, interviews and all that.

From what I've seen, most of his stuff is just rumours based on half-truths and speculation.
Council funding figures for Wales.... on 12:17 - Oct 15 with 2096 viewsnice_to_michu

Council funding figures for Wales.... on 11:41 - Oct 15 by DafyddHuw

I wrote to my AM about this and got this reply -

Thank you very much for the email.

Local government funding allocations are made on the basis of a formula which is jointly agreed between the Welsh Government and the Welsh Local Government Association.

There are several elements to the agreed formula, but the most significant are:
i) the number of people resident in the local authority
ii) the number of school aged children resident in the local authority area.

The formula means that funding can be allocated on an objective basis, based on agreed needs.

This does mean that more heavily populated local authorities with larger numbers of school aged children receive a higher allocation. Swansea's allocation is the third highest after Cardiff and Rhondda Cynon Taff. As a result of the formula, Swansea's allocation has been cut by 0.1% this year, which (jointly with Anglesey and Gwynedd) is the lowest percentage cut. The Welsh Government does, however, put in place a fully funded floor, which means that no local authority faces a reduction of more than 1% in its core funding in 2018/19.

The settlement provides the largest single component of funding for local authorities - but this is not the only part. Other funding components include specific grants, council tax, and income.

The Welsh Government's priority has been to try and protect councils from the worst of the cuts that have been passed from the UK Government as a result of their policy of austerity.

I hope this information is helpful.

If I can be of further assistance on this or any other issue, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

With kind regards,

Rebecca

Yep, pretty good explanation I would say.
Council funding figures for Wales.... on 15:21 - Oct 15 with 2055 viewsPrivate_Partz

Council funding figures for Wales.... on 12:16 - Oct 15 by nice_to_michu

It's not detail though is it. Detail in an actual investigation would come from transcripts, consultations, minutes from meetings, interviews and all that.

From what I've seen, most of his stuff is just rumours based on half-truths and speculation.

Just the sort of thing an investigative journalist should be looking at . Unfortunately the Cardiff media is of the same mindset as you.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Council funding figures for Wales.... on 15:27 - Oct 15 with 2048 viewsPrivate_Partz

Council funding figures for Wales.... on 12:17 - Oct 15 by nice_to_michu

So you are right. It is population based, albeit Education swings it. As the population in the SE increases and the rest of Wales declines so the disparity in funding will continue.
Well done to the poster for asking. You got more detail there than I have managed with emails I have sent in.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Council funding figures for Wales.... on 16:42 - Oct 15 with 2026 viewsnice_to_michu

Council funding figures for Wales.... on 15:21 - Oct 15 by Private_Partz

Just the sort of thing an investigative journalist should be looking at . Unfortunately the Cardiff media is of the same mindset as you.

Right, but the investigative journalists you are referring to may have looked into his rumored and thought it's a load of nonsense. They don't have to agree an online blogger called Jac o the North and substantiate his stuff.
Council funding figures for Wales.... on 16:55 - Oct 15 with 2018 viewsDan_Swan

Council funding figures for Wales.... on 11:31 - Oct 15 by max936

£152 a month for 10 months I pay for my Council Tax that's £1,520 this year its scandalous ffs.

Many others like you out there Max, it's a hell of a lot of money to pay out to live in your own house. My parents, now retired are paying not far off what you're paying yourself.

Brace yourself for an above inflation increase for 2018/19...

Still following Dr's orders!

Council funding figures for Wales.... on 17:36 - Oct 15 with 1995 viewsPrivate_Partz

Council funding figures for Wales.... on 16:42 - Oct 15 by nice_to_michu

Right, but the investigative journalists you are referring to may have looked into his rumored and thought it's a load of nonsense. They don't have to agree an online blogger called Jac o the North and substantiate his stuff.

Do you believe the Cardiff based media have looked into anything Jac says? There is a lot work to be done sifting through the stuff he has put together. A few nice articles on him dismissing his work would make good reading. Nothing the Cardiff media likes better than to expose people with 'Chips on their shoulder' in relation to their home town.
Are you actually saying we have investigative journalists in our 'national media' and despite their best efforts there is no substance? There are quite a few others of a similar ilk to Jac. They could have a field day exposing them.
In the meantime the jobs for the boys continue and money is wasted in our Housing Associations and Charities whilst vital health services are centralised in Cardiff putting whole swathes of the population at risk.

Council funding figures for Wales.... on 17:47 - Oct 15 with 1986 viewsnice_to_michu

Council funding figures for Wales.... on 17:36 - Oct 15 by Private_Partz

Do you believe the Cardiff based media have looked into anything Jac says? There is a lot work to be done sifting through the stuff he has put together. A few nice articles on him dismissing his work would make good reading. Nothing the Cardiff media likes better than to expose people with 'Chips on their shoulder' in relation to their home town.
Are you actually saying we have investigative journalists in our 'national media' and despite their best efforts there is no substance? There are quite a few others of a similar ilk to Jac. They could have a field day exposing them.
In the meantime the jobs for the boys continue and money is wasted in our Housing Associations and Charities whilst vital health services are centralised in Cardiff putting whole swathes of the population at risk.

Yes, next time I meet a journalist I shall ask them why they don't investigate the claims of a blogger with (as of today) 149 subscribers.
Login to get fewer ads

Council funding figures for Wales.... on 17:52 - Oct 15 with 1983 viewsnice_to_michu

Council funding figures for Wales.... on 16:55 - Oct 15 by Dan_Swan

Many others like you out there Max, it's a hell of a lot of money to pay out to live in your own house. My parents, now retired are paying not far off what you're paying yourself.

Brace yourself for an above inflation increase for 2018/19...

Yes, and the bloc grant from Westminster has been going cut for the past 7 years. So it's not surprising that council tax has gone up, although it'll never make up the difference.

If anyone thinks this is a Labour council problem, they should table a look at Surrey County Council. Surrey is represented by Tories at Westminster throughout, many of them are ministers. Yet their grant to the council was so low that their own Tory-controlled council alomost had a referendum on council tax to take it to a 15% increase (above the limit of a 5% increase).

Feel free to google the scandal of how they suddenly became the recipient of some more money to bridge the gap.
Council funding figures for Wales.... on 20:33 - Oct 15 with 1960 viewsPrivate_Partz

Council funding figures for Wales.... on 17:52 - Oct 15 by nice_to_michu

Yes, and the bloc grant from Westminster has been going cut for the past 7 years. So it's not surprising that council tax has gone up, although it'll never make up the difference.

If anyone thinks this is a Labour council problem, they should table a look at Surrey County Council. Surrey is represented by Tories at Westminster throughout, many of them are ministers. Yet their grant to the council was so low that their own Tory-controlled council alomost had a referendum on council tax to take it to a 15% increase (above the limit of a 5% increase).

Feel free to google the scandal of how they suddenly became the recipient of some more money to bridge the gap.

I happen to agree with you on most of that. Surely you can see I am not grousing about the cuts. I recognise this is the work of the Nasty Party.
My gripe is that by far the richest area of Wales has received the lowest cut. I recognise even a 1% increase is a cut in real terms when inflation is taken into account btw.
I am not entirely convinced our First Minister is too concerned about it however. Nor is he that bothered about getting any more powers for WAG. He much prefers to keep the trappings of power and then claim 'not me guv' when taken to task.
I always say that they may be political opponents but him and Davis were separated at birth ;-)
Lazy politicians both imho.

Council funding figures for Wales.... on 10:18 - Oct 16 with 1932 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Council funding figures for Wales.... on 12:17 - Oct 15 by nice_to_michu

It explains why Cardiff wanted to swallow up Caerphilly. More population = more money

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Council funding figures for Wales.... on 10:22 - Oct 16 with 1927 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Council funding figures for Wales.... on 17:52 - Oct 15 by nice_to_michu

Amazing isn't it. Just like the corrupt b*stards found a billion and a half down the back of the sofa for the DUP to prop up their government. How the hell can that even be thought of as legal?

Council funding figures for Wales.... on 16:57 - Oct 16 with 1896 viewsnice_to_michu

Council funding figures for Wales.... on 10:22 - Oct 16 by Brynmill_Jack

Amazing isn't it. Just like the corrupt b*stards found a billion and a half down the back of the sofa for the DUP to prop up their government. How the hell can that even be thought of as legal?

Yeh, I mean, I’m not sure I agree that’s it is corrupt or illegal necessarily. It’s just wrong.

At the end of the day, a government can spend its money hoe it chooses. But it’s scandalous because of the cloak and dagger behavior and the lack of honesty/transparency about the whole thing. It was very inconvenient, politically, to acknowledge the problem.
Council funding figures for Wales.... on 10:51 - Oct 17 with 1847 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Council funding figures for Wales.... on 16:57 - Oct 16 by nice_to_michu

Yeh, I mean, I’m not sure I agree that’s it is corrupt or illegal necessarily. It’s just wrong.

At the end of the day, a government can spend its money hoe it chooses. But it’s scandalous because of the cloak and dagger behavior and the lack of honesty/transparency about the whole thing. It was very inconvenient, politically, to acknowledge the problem.

I know it's being done under the guise of additional aid for NI due to their lack of city deals (which we have in abundance in wales 😳) but its still basically buying power with taxpayers money. Corrupt bstards. It's given me an enthusiasm for an idea I'd never have entertained before now - an united Ireland. That would teach the pesky unionists

Council funding figures for Wales.... on 11:44 - Oct 18 with 1807 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Council funding figures for Wales.... on 10:22 - Oct 16 by Brynmill_Jack

It was not for the DUP but the people of Northern Ireland. I only wish the Labour Welsh Assembly was as good as getting money for Wales.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Council funding figures for Wales.... on 15:26 - Oct 18 with 1775 viewsexiledclaseboy

Council funding figures for Wales.... on 11:44 - Oct 18 by felixstowe_jack

It was not for the DUP but the people of Northern Ireland. I only wish the Labour Welsh Assembly was as good as getting money for Wales.

Oh Right. So the “people of Northern Ireland” would have had that money regardless of whether Theresa May needed the DUP’s votes to prop up her minority government after a disastrous and unnecessary general election for the Tories then? Silly me.

Poll: Tory leader

Council funding figures for Wales.... on 18:45 - Oct 18 with 1741 viewsjack_lord

Council funding figures for Wales.... on 11:31 - Oct 15 by max936

£152 a month for 10 months I pay for my Council Tax that's £1,520 this year its scandalous ffs.

I was shocked when I moved to Neath/Port Talbot council area and saw the council tax bill. Are the streets paved with gold or something?

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Council funding figures for Wales.... on 19:20 - Oct 18 with 1733 viewsPrivate_Partz

Council funding figures for Wales.... on 18:45 - Oct 18 by jack_lord

I was shocked when I moved to Neath/Port Talbot council area and saw the council tax bill. Are the streets paved with gold or something?

As central funding decreases so local taxation rise. LAs have decreased staffing levels massively in an attempt to continue supporting Education and Social Services, Social Care in particular. The staff that are left have no pay rises and work on reduced conditions of service.
Nevertheless both major LA servicesare suffering. On top of this roads are falling to bits, drains remain blocked, tree cutting is no more and grass verges are overgrown. Fly tipping and litter everywhere. Consumer protection decimated and we have to work a damn sight harder recycling without the tools to do it, wheelie bins etc.
As long as austerity continues so will this situation.
The Public Sector does not create wealth but it creates an environment and protects our health, wellbeing and safety.

Council funding figures for Wales.... on 20:12 - Oct 18 with 1715 viewsnice_to_michu

Council funding figures for Wales.... on 19:20 - Oct 18 by Private_Partz

As central funding decreases so local taxation rise. LAs have decreased staffing levels massively in an attempt to continue supporting Education and Social Services, Social Care in particular. The staff that are left have no pay rises and work on reduced conditions of service.
Nevertheless both major LA servicesare suffering. On top of this roads are falling to bits, drains remain blocked, tree cutting is no more and grass verges are overgrown. Fly tipping and litter everywhere. Consumer protection decimated and we have to work a damn sight harder recycling without the tools to do it, wheelie bins etc.
As long as austerity continues so will this situation.
The Public Sector does not create wealth but it creates an environment and protects our health, wellbeing and safety.

Well said.
Council funding figures for Wales.... on 20:55 - Oct 18 with 1700 viewsmax936

Council funding figures for Wales.... on 18:45 - Oct 18 by jack_lord

Not that I've noticed Jas, I like to know what I'm getting for my 1500 though apart from more and more recycling bags to clutter my back yard up, we bought a garden container thingy to keep the feckers in now that's another cost added to my council tax bill, they are trying to spruce Neath up a bit though, there seems to be plans afoot at least.

Never mind has long has the WAG have a nice Christmas Party and a few more pointless trips to Brussels and wherever else they go.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Council funding figures for Wales.... on 21:45 - Oct 18 with 1669 viewsnice_to_michu

Council funding figures for Wales.... on 20:55 - Oct 18 by max936

Not that I've noticed Jas, I like to know what I'm getting for my 1500 though apart from more and more recycling bags to clutter my back yard up, we bought a garden container thingy to keep the feckers in now that's another cost added to my council tax bill, they are trying to spruce Neath up a bit though, there seems to be plans afoot at least.

Never mind has long has the WAG have a nice Christmas Party and a few more pointless trips to Brussels and wherever else they go.

A large proportion of local government money goes towards social care and education. Council tax is going up because Westminster are giving less to Cardiff.

Not sure what any of it has to with Welsh Government Xmas parties though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024