Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Official Swans Website Not in Welsh 14:57 - Oct 16 with 11510 viewswestwalesed

I know there are some on here who don't see the value in the Welsh language, but the official website can be translated into Mandarin, but not Welsh, which is an official language of the United Kingdom and needless to say spoken by many, many, people as a first language particularly in west Wales. I think this is an utter disgrace.

I e-mailed the Digital Media Manager over the weekend, and this was the reply I have received today:

"Hi Edward

Many thanks for your email.

We have a Mandarin button on the site purely for our sponsor LeTou. We are currently translating the swansdirect.com store into Welsh as well as Spanish but with the main website we are unlikely to translate this into any other language. As when I have analysed traffic and usage it really doesn’t warrant any other translations.

Thanks again for your email

Beccy Symmons"

Surely this can't be right??????

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 11:42 - Oct 19 with 641 viewsLoyal

I know several people who won't buy products unless there is a Welsh language area on websites, and insist on a bilingual commitment. If this is a general feeling amongst Welsh first language speakers then the club should be well up on how to encourage thousands of more Welsh speaking fans.
Mind you that's fcking obvious, to some.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 11:44 - Oct 19 with 641 viewswhoflungdung

Why communicate,as you are in a language for which you have contempt

One of Swansea s great sons didn't have that much time for Welsh and loved the English language .

And how does one turn Wales into England

How?

Poll: Is it Spa or spa

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 11:51 - Oct 19 with 631 viewsLoyal

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 11:44 - Oct 19 by whoflungdung

Why communicate,as you are in a language for which you have contempt

One of Swansea s great sons didn't have that much time for Welsh and loved the English language .

And how does one turn Wales into England

How?

Has nothing to do with commercial practices, community engagement, cultural awareness or the ability of the club to enhance its financial streams.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 11:55 - Oct 19 with 629 viewscostalotta

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 11:42 - Oct 19 by Loyal

I know several people who won't buy products unless there is a Welsh language area on websites, and insist on a bilingual commitment. If this is a general feeling amongst Welsh first language speakers then the club should be well up on how to encourage thousands of more Welsh speaking fans.
Mind you that's fcking obvious, to some.

Hence my comment about 'a business will live or die by its products, services and customer relationships '

It's their choice whether they wish to or not, whatever the case maybe.

As side note, I know several people who've recently stopped buying the jerseys, because they don't like them. Should club change jerseys at this moment to appease them?

Market research possibly. The club are global now and probably care more about a global audience than the 'several people' you or I might refer to.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2017 12:06]
Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 12:00 - Oct 19 with 626 viewswhoflungdung

They really cannot want the product then

You could apply that argument to basic food stuffs. No bilingual labels. It's that stupid .

Its actually pitiful to even have this debate

It's hypocrisy to debate this on English actually ,as I've alluded to before

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 12:30 - Oct 19 with 607 viewsMeraki

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 10:52 - Oct 19 by lifelong

I disagree, it shouldn’t be the choice of the club, it should be the choice of the customer.

It would cost the club next to nothing.

I'm don't disagree that there should be a Welsh language version of the site, but to say it would cost next to nothing is a bit naive.
Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 12:47 - Oct 19 with 596 viewslifelong

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 12:30 - Oct 19 by Meraki

I'm don't disagree that there should be a Welsh language version of the site, but to say it would cost next to nothing is a bit naive.

The club has just spent in excess of £40m on players, in that context it would cost next to nothing.
Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 13:03 - Oct 19 with 585 viewsNeath_Jack

If i had my way you would have to opt out of Welsh medium schools, not opt into them. Wales should be the primary language in this great country of ours.

F*ck England and their inhabitants.

And the more that bi-lingual signs, websites, letters etc, wind up those heathens that don't like the fact that we have our own language, is all the sweeter by me.

Bydded i'r hen iaith barhau!

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Login to get fewer ads

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 13:45 - Oct 19 with 563 viewscostalotta

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 13:03 - Oct 19 by Neath_Jack

If i had my way you would have to opt out of Welsh medium schools, not opt into them. Wales should be the primary language in this great country of ours.

F*ck England and their inhabitants.

And the more that bi-lingual signs, websites, letters etc, wind up those heathens that don't like the fact that we have our own language, is all the sweeter by me.

Bydded i'r hen iaith barhau!

Opt in, opt out. Same thing.

The English don't care !

The bilingualism doesn't wind anyone up as far as I can see. Just less money to spend on other stuff. But you crack and have a good time thinking that.
Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 13:49 - Oct 19 with 553 viewscostalotta

Just to add to my last post. Walking to the game last Saturday I overheard some Huddersfield fans commenting on the Welsh word for Police, being hedlu. A group of swans fans were laughing with them at their interpretation word and the playing with it. All in good fun. No one was offended or wound up with the bilingual signs on the sides of police vehicles.
Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 14:03 - Oct 19 with 545 viewswhoflungdung

Leon .english

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 14:20 - Oct 19 with 530 viewslondonlisa2001

Swansea City is the only Welsh team in a league broadcast all over the world. It is a representative of our city and country and part of its role should be showcasing our city and country, the people, the culture, to the hundreds of millions who watch the premier league.

An important part of Welsh culture is our language. Yes, everyone speaks English, but in 50 years' time everyone in the world will speak English. Doesn't mean that native languages should be lost, consigned to the dustbin under a sea of global, popular culture.

It would cost the club relative pennies to provide a Welsh language web site, and it's an absolute disgrace that they don't. Sadly they care far more about the handful of American supporters and appeasing some one season Chinese sponsor than they do about the home and history of the club.

They are in danger of becoming so detached from what it means to be Swansea and Welsh that if the day comes when we get relegated back down the leagues, local people won't give a sh*t. Good luck with finding supporters in Denver, Seattle or Shanghai then!

It's really hit me this season how sad it is that we no longer have any of our players in the Welsh team as well.
Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 14:37 - Oct 19 with 519 viewsjack2jack

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 14:20 - Oct 19 by londonlisa2001

Swansea City is the only Welsh team in a league broadcast all over the world. It is a representative of our city and country and part of its role should be showcasing our city and country, the people, the culture, to the hundreds of millions who watch the premier league.

An important part of Welsh culture is our language. Yes, everyone speaks English, but in 50 years' time everyone in the world will speak English. Doesn't mean that native languages should be lost, consigned to the dustbin under a sea of global, popular culture.

It would cost the club relative pennies to provide a Welsh language web site, and it's an absolute disgrace that they don't. Sadly they care far more about the handful of American supporters and appeasing some one season Chinese sponsor than they do about the home and history of the club.

They are in danger of becoming so detached from what it means to be Swansea and Welsh that if the day comes when we get relegated back down the leagues, local people won't give a sh*t. Good luck with finding supporters in Denver, Seattle or Shanghai then!

It's really hit me this season how sad it is that we no longer have any of our players in the Welsh team as well.

Well said,I don't think anyone could argue with what you've said there.👍
Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 15:01 - Oct 19 with 508 viewscostalotta

That maybe Lisa.

But ultimately, it's up to the club.

Have to ask, were a small minority or anyone for that matter concerned about this subject when we in the lower leagues 10 years ago. Or, in the championship 7 years ago? The internet was around then.

I disagree with you and tend to look at it a different way. We are in the English league. We are owne by Americans who are trying to push into new markets, globally and rightly or wrongly those are their priorities.

What value to th business, in this context would a Welsh version of the website give? What customer base? Are we likely to gain a significant increase in the fan base? I am genuinlgy interested?
Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 15:32 - Oct 19 with 490 viewsunion_jack

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 10:34 - Oct 19 by costalotta

This is why some cannot see it your small and single minded way.

Culture evolves and should not be engineered. If it is, it's doomed to failure!

The language had its day. If there are some who wish to continue to speak, great! But to attempt to force business and people to use , communicate and speak is silly. It will survive on its own merits and nothing else.

You'd be better off learning a formal specification or programming language than you would Welsh.

It's what I've been saying on here for a long while.

Those who want to speak it, crack on. Don't keep it going artificially though. If it's as popular as many on here say, it will thrive.

It's not my bag though.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 15:32 - Oct 19 with 490 viewsGaryjack

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 21:41 - Oct 18 by Jack_Kass

Love how nobody has an answer to this.

540,000 people in the country speak Polish

562,000 speak Welsh.

So surely the site should be translated in polish as well?
[Post edited 18 Oct 2017 21:41]

Hows that work then? Seeing as there are less than 30,000 Poles living in Wales?
Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 15:34 - Oct 19 with 485 viewswestwalesed

Great post.

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 15:47 - Oct 19 with 474 viewslondonlisa2001

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 15:01 - Oct 19 by costalotta

That maybe Lisa.

But ultimately, it's up to the club.

Have to ask, were a small minority or anyone for that matter concerned about this subject when we in the lower leagues 10 years ago. Or, in the championship 7 years ago? The internet was around then.

I disagree with you and tend to look at it a different way. We are in the English league. We are owne by Americans who are trying to push into new markets, globally and rightly or wrongly those are their priorities.

What value to th business, in this context would a Welsh version of the website give? What customer base? Are we likely to gain a significant increase in the fan base? I am genuinlgy interested?

For me, the club isn't just a straightforward commercial enterprise. It's also, separately, an intrinsic part of the fabric of the city, of our community. As such, I believe it owes a duty of care to that community in the same way as that community owes a duty of care to the club.

We are (in the wider sense), custodians of the club for the generations to come.

Attracting global customers is all very well, but if the connection of the club with its community is lost, all that remains is the sort of franchise that tends to exist in American sports, where teams can effectively be picked up and moved round to a different city that gives them more money. The vast sums of money in the premier league should be viewed as fleeting - not because we could get relegated, but because eventually the attraction of the premier league to an audience that simply views it as a form of entertainment easily swapped with another, will disintegrate and then, what's left?

The only permanent audience are those that have a deep connection. Half of the people that Darran was talking about yesterday on twitter will soon disappear, however much they protest that they won't.

Go after a wider audience by all means, but the day that this club, and the temporary owners of this club, forgets its real audience is the day it will lose its heart, and without a heart, next time the sh*t hits the fan, no one will care.
Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 16:20 - Oct 19 with 448 viewscostalotta

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 15:47 - Oct 19 by londonlisa2001

For me, the club isn't just a straightforward commercial enterprise. It's also, separately, an intrinsic part of the fabric of the city, of our community. As such, I believe it owes a duty of care to that community in the same way as that community owes a duty of care to the club.

We are (in the wider sense), custodians of the club for the generations to come.

Attracting global customers is all very well, but if the connection of the club with its community is lost, all that remains is the sort of franchise that tends to exist in American sports, where teams can effectively be picked up and moved round to a different city that gives them more money. The vast sums of money in the premier league should be viewed as fleeting - not because we could get relegated, but because eventually the attraction of the premier league to an audience that simply views it as a form of entertainment easily swapped with another, will disintegrate and then, what's left?

The only permanent audience are those that have a deep connection. Half of the people that Darran was talking about yesterday on twitter will soon disappear, however much they protest that they won't.

Go after a wider audience by all means, but the day that this club, and the temporary owners of this club, forgets its real audience is the day it will lose its heart, and without a heart, next time the sh*t hits the fan, no one will care.

I sort of get what your saying and don't disagree with a lot of it. Problem is, where have we heard words and phrases like "custodians of the club" before? The club was here a long time before me and will be here long after I'm gone I'm sure. And doesn't matter what division we're in, what language the club communicates I will still be there and I'm sure all real fans would irrespetive of language preference. If not, then they are not a fan!

I personally don't buy your franchise argument as we are not in America, soit's irrelevant. Even If we know the mkdons story. It most certain,y will not happen to an EPL club. If it could, it would have already.

I neither buy your 'fleeting' statement in regards the premier league finances. It may stagnate but cannot see it being swapped as you suggest. If anything, it will grow. Baseball World Series, NFL, NBA have not been replaced as a form of entertainment and football is bigger than them all. It's real!

In my opinion, for what it's worth the argument for a Welsh language version of a website is so small it's embarrassing. But you know what, you are right in terms of costs to implement and maintain to the club and that if makes an extremely small number of fans feel 'included' then so be it. But that says more about them and society than it does football fans imo. No one has yet answered, how many Swansea fans are excluded by the club comms / website only being accessible to them in English? Someone did say it didn't matter and imo they say that because they want the choice. They want to take that away from the club. It's almost selfish that they moan on here in English but demand a Welsh version of the site.

There are far far bigger fish to fry.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2017 16:22]
Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 16:30 - Oct 19 with 437 viewsjack2jack

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 16:20 - Oct 19 by costalotta

I sort of get what your saying and don't disagree with a lot of it. Problem is, where have we heard words and phrases like "custodians of the club" before? The club was here a long time before me and will be here long after I'm gone I'm sure. And doesn't matter what division we're in, what language the club communicates I will still be there and I'm sure all real fans would irrespetive of language preference. If not, then they are not a fan!

I personally don't buy your franchise argument as we are not in America, soit's irrelevant. Even If we know the mkdons story. It most certain,y will not happen to an EPL club. If it could, it would have already.

I neither buy your 'fleeting' statement in regards the premier league finances. It may stagnate but cannot see it being swapped as you suggest. If anything, it will grow. Baseball World Series, NFL, NBA have not been replaced as a form of entertainment and football is bigger than them all. It's real!

In my opinion, for what it's worth the argument for a Welsh language version of a website is so small it's embarrassing. But you know what, you are right in terms of costs to implement and maintain to the club and that if makes an extremely small number of fans feel 'included' then so be it. But that says more about them and society than it does football fans imo. No one has yet answered, how many Swansea fans are excluded by the club comms / website only being accessible to them in English? Someone did say it didn't matter and imo they say that because they want the choice. They want to take that away from the club. It's almost selfish that they moan on here in English but demand a Welsh version of the site.

But if they did have the foresight to do it then no one would be complaining.
So it's ok to appease their sponsors,but not keep their local Welsh speaking fans happy,whether they be in the minority or not,Okey dokey!
Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 16:31 - Oct 19 with 433 viewscostalotta

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 16:30 - Oct 19 by jack2jack

But if they did have the foresight to do it then no one would be complaining.
So it's ok to appease their sponsors,but not keep their local Welsh speaking fans happy,whether they be in the minority or not,Okey dokey!

We're the Welsh speaking fans happy in leagues 2, 1 or the championship with the lack of a Welsh version of the club website? When it was run by 'local custodians' ?
Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 16:38 - Oct 19 with 423 viewsjack2jack

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 16:31 - Oct 19 by costalotta

We're the Welsh speaking fans happy in leagues 2, 1 or the championship with the lack of a Welsh version of the club website? When it was run by 'local custodians' ?

Don't know,we'd have to ask.As for the previous web site, I guess it had its limitations,and I believe the club had little control over it.
Thing is as Lisa has said we are in the Premier League, it's global,there maybe Welsh speakers outside of this Isle, who might like a Welsh version.
It just smacks of could care less to me.Just saying.
Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 16:49 - Oct 19 with 419 viewslondonlisa2001

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 16:20 - Oct 19 by costalotta

Custodians refers to the people of Swansea and surrounding areas, not the owners.

The franchise / commercial arguments we'll agree to disagree.

But my point on language is not that people can't understand the website, it's that it represents the area and country and part of that is the language and culture. As such it should represent that.

There may be bigger fish to fry but there aren't more important fish to fry than the local community. I understand that others will disagree.

As an aside - if Americans spoke a language other than English, the website would be translated before you could snap your fingers, whether there were 100, 1000, or 10,000 supporters. The reason for it not being done isn't the cost, it's because they couldn't give a flying f*ck about the history of the club (apologies for the language, but their every action shows how little they care).
Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 16:51 - Oct 19 with 409 viewscostalotta

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 16:38 - Oct 19 by jack2jack

Don't know,we'd have to ask.As for the previous web site, I guess it had its limitations,and I believe the club had little control over it.
Thing is as Lisa has said we are in the Premier League, it's global,there maybe Welsh speakers outside of this Isle, who might like a Welsh version.
It just smacks of could care less to me.Just saying.

I do take your point.

What I was asking was where were these Welsh Speaking fans back in the day? I did not hear anyone complain for example about match day programmes being unavailable in Welsh and the same being said about a website.

Lisa (I think ) and you are alluding fans in Detroit or anywhere else and where they would be should we tumble down the leagues or the EPL money tree gets chopped down. I am saying the same could be said for our new found Welsh who do care that we don't have a Welsh website or match day programme. They were not fans back then.

So, imo it's all a load of tosh and people just looking to complain. Not

PS Lisa, I am not saying that you ar complaing and I am just highlighted what you said could also be be said of our new found fans in wales who speak Welsh.
Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 17:03 - Oct 19 with 391 viewslondonlisa2001

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 16:51 - Oct 19 by costalotta

I do take your point.

What I was asking was where were these Welsh Speaking fans back in the day? I did not hear anyone complain for example about match day programmes being unavailable in Welsh and the same being said about a website.

Lisa (I think ) and you are alluding fans in Detroit or anywhere else and where they would be should we tumble down the leagues or the EPL money tree gets chopped down. I am saying the same could be said for our new found Welsh who do care that we don't have a Welsh website or match day programme. They were not fans back then.

So, imo it's all a load of tosh and people just looking to complain. Not

PS Lisa, I am not saying that you ar complaing and I am just highlighted what you said could also be be said of our new found fans in wales who speak Welsh.

I think you are missing part of what I'm saying which is not about fans as individuals, and more about representing the area and country and that includes the languages that are spoken.

To a very different degree, it's the same as Barcelona having a website in Spanish but not also in Catalan. It's part of the identity that they represent. Locals would go mental if they did that.

As an aside though, the Swans have always had big support from the Turks, Burry Port, the Swansea and Neath valleys and lots of Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire, many of whom are Welsh speaking. The internet is a very different animal now to back in the day when it was around, but nowhere near what it is now.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024