Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Disasters from history 20:01 - Oct 17 with 5947 viewsdickythorpe

What is your most poignant one?

I recall a documentary I saw about the Mousehole lifeboat crew that died in 1981.

The actual recording of the radio conversation between the Coastguard and crew going dead has stuck with me.

From about 38 mins 40 secs to about 40 mins 50
[Post edited 17 Oct 2017 20:14]
Disasters from history on 20:06 - Oct 17 with 5935 viewsJackfath

Marrying my first wife.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Disasters from history on 20:20 - Oct 17 with 5917 viewsNeath_Jack

Bhopal disaster.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Disasters from history on 20:27 - Oct 17 with 5904 viewssP7qupUf

Senghenydd Pit Disaster and Aberfan take some beating in Wales.
Disasters from history on 22:01 - Oct 17 with 5850 viewsCooperman

We had a few days stay down in Mousehole a few years back and spent every evening in The Ship Inn on the quayside. It was quite eerie to be honest which was aided by the fact it was late in the year and pretty miserable weather wise. I can remember my dad (who had half shares in a boat at the time) being quite distraught at the news of 19th Dec 1981 but I hadn’t twigged that it was the same place until we got down there and spent our first evening there. So yes Dicky, I share your feeling.

The other one that sticks in my mind is Zebrugge. I can vividly remember being in floods of tears when my mum told me about some young boy from Ilkeston who was on a day trip with his parents who promised him sweets if he behaved himself. He was unfortunately orphaned that fateful night. Amazing how these things stick with you thirty years on.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Disasters from history on 22:06 - Oct 17 with 5832 viewsdickythorpe

Disasters from history on 22:01 - Oct 17 by Cooperman

We had a few days stay down in Mousehole a few years back and spent every evening in The Ship Inn on the quayside. It was quite eerie to be honest which was aided by the fact it was late in the year and pretty miserable weather wise. I can remember my dad (who had half shares in a boat at the time) being quite distraught at the news of 19th Dec 1981 but I hadn’t twigged that it was the same place until we got down there and spent our first evening there. So yes Dicky, I share your feeling.

The other one that sticks in my mind is Zebrugge. I can vividly remember being in floods of tears when my mum told me about some young boy from Ilkeston who was on a day trip with his parents who promised him sweets if he behaved himself. He was unfortunately orphaned that fateful night. Amazing how these things stick with you thirty years on.

I went to Mousehole 3 years ago and saw the plaque of remembrance on the Ship Inn. Very moving. Great pub as well.
Disasters from history on 22:24 - Oct 17 with 5804 viewslonglostjack

Disasters from history on 22:01 - Oct 17 by Cooperman

Goose pimples reading that. My parents were returning to the UK that night from Germany. They always went from Zeebrugge but for some unbeknown reason they had booked an earlier ferry from Oostende on that day. Not that I knew. It was later that evening that they called to say they were safe.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Disasters from history on 22:36 - Oct 17 with 5793 viewsbonymine

Disasters from history on 20:06 - Oct 17 by Jackfath

Marrying my first wife.

Seconded Fathy........

Life is so much better second time around (and so much cheaper too 😂😂) !!

Life is Good at the moment 👍🤞

STID. Together Stronger 💪💪💪

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

Disasters from history on 09:44 - Oct 18 with 5693 viewswhoflungdung

From a non human perspective, the Torre Canyon .

Poll: Is it Spa or spa

Login to get fewer ads

Disasters from history on 09:47 - Oct 18 with 5686 viewsCooperman

Disasters from history on 22:06 - Oct 17 by dickythorpe

I went to Mousehole 3 years ago and saw the plaque of remembrance on the Ship Inn. Very moving. Great pub as well.

It is a great pub, even better when the rain is lashing against the windows.

I’d like to go back there during the run up to Christmas and see the harbour lights.

http://www.mouseholelights.org.uk

Disasters from history on 10:00 - Oct 18 with 5662 viewsCooperman

Disasters from history on 22:24 - Oct 17 by longlostjack

Goose pimples reading that. My parents were returning to the UK that night from Germany. They always went from Zeebrugge but for some unbeknown reason they had booked an earlier ferry from Oostende on that day. Not that I knew. It was later that evening that they called to say they were safe.

That’s good to hear; fate occasionally deals out a good hand.

Disasters from history on 10:06 - Oct 18 with 5649 viewsScotia

It's awful when people get killed going to help others, especially volunteers, Mumbles RNLI have a similar story in trying to rescue those on the Santampa at Sker.

Aberfan for me though, even going there 50 years later is pretty emotional and the way the community was treated afterwards just makes it worse.
Disasters from history on 10:09 - Oct 18 with 5645 viewsswanjackal

Mine is probably the first one I really remember. Always loved football from a young age, but remember watching the events on a Saturday tea time of the Bradford fire, on this model in my kitchen as I ate fish fingers (even remember the meal).

Will always stick with me, and the way my mother could not explain to me what was going on as she was too horrified, My father then sitting me down explaining that a lot of people died.

The Zeebrugge disaster also stands out too, as did Hillsborough from that era.

The 7/7 bombings, and the Twin Tower events though will probably be the JFK moment for my lifetime, mainly due to the sheer visibility of the events.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Disasters from history on 10:25 - Oct 18 with 5628 viewswhoflungdung

Last poster to this thread is about where I am

So many,too many ,disasters on old Industrial Britain

Poll: Is it Spa or spa

Disasters from history on 10:52 - Oct 18 with 5609 views1983

Watching the twin towers come down live on tv sat in a hotel lobby in Majorca with about 80 others guests in total silence, then going to the airport to fly home and the airport was bonkers they wouldn't let you carry anything on board the plane and people were dumping things in big bins there and then, the whole flight back was in total silence and I don't think one person moved. Went to NY a about 18 months later and stayed in the Hilton Millennium hotel on the 41st floor straight opposite the 9/11 site and being able to look in was pretty sad it just looked like one big scrap yard.

Went to Bridge over the river kwai and the British graveyards and was totally overcome and wept openly for the first time for people I never knew, seeing the British names and the ages and some of the soldiers 21,22,23 years old and miles away from home must have been a living nightmare.

R.I.P You Brave Men

[Post edited 18 Oct 2017 10:53]

Disasters from history on 11:16 - Oct 18 with 5577 viewscmajack

Aberfan was about 11 at the time probably the first real tragedy i remember so sad for so many and at such a young age every parents worst nightmare.
Disasters from history on 12:03 - Oct 18 with 5541 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Disasters from history on 13:17 - Oct 18 with 5477 viewsLohengrin

I'm going to play to the gallery and toss 3rd May 1979 into the mix...

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Disasters from history on 18:15 - Oct 18 with 5361 viewsNogginthenog

Disasters from history on 13:17 - Oct 18 by Lohengrin

Oooooh you heartless man .
Disasters from history on 18:24 - Oct 18 with 5352 viewslonglostjack

Top post.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Disasters from history on 18:58 - Oct 18 with 5310 viewsjack_lord

that looks like one of the old Swans programmes from the Third Division.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Disasters from history on 22:12 - Oct 18 with 5254 viewsKilkennyjack

Aberfan.
Gresford.
Dunblane.

No words.

Beware of the Risen People

Disasters from history on 19:22 - Oct 19 with 5123 viewspikeypaul

My Lai 16th March 1968.

Although far to young to remember it having watched the BBC4 documentary on the Vietnam war this was sickening.

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Disasters from history on 19:48 - Oct 20 with 4975 viewsbonymine

Disasters from history on 19:22 - Oct 19 by pikeypaul

My Lai 16th March 1968.

Although far to young to remember it having watched the BBC4 documentary on the Vietnam war this was sickening.

Your post earlier today about Darren being a ‘cripple’ etc was YOUR disaster from history you disgusting person.

Why don’t you crawl back under wherever you came from and never raise your ugly head again ?

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

Disasters from history on 12:33 - Oct 21 with 4910 viewslondonlisa2001

Don't think it's possible to rank disasters, but today of all days, thinking of all those who are forever affected by Aberfan.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024