Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
U.S. "soccer" lambasted 17:04 - Oct 18 with 3516 viewsDavillin

I told you.

You saw it yourself firsthand with Brad Bobbly.

Now read what a former U.S. player, with 112 U.S. caps, has to say:

Claudio Reyna Eviscerates US Soccer as “Arrogant” and “Obnoxious”

By Kyle Bonn, Oct 18, 2017, 9:50 AM EDT

Former USMNT captain Claudio Reyna has come out guns blazing after the Americans failed to qualify for the 2018 World Cup, repeatedly condemning the mentality of the coaches and players in the wake of the debacle.

Speaking to Goal.com’s Ives Galarcep, the usually hushed NYCFC Sporting Director put the USMNT on blast during his lengthy chat. “You travel to Spain, Argentina, Germany,” Reyna said, “and you run into coaches and sporting directors and there’s a humility about their work that doesn’t exist here, and that’s, for me, seeing it, is to me a big concern.”

“When you have a disappointment like last week, and we’ve had past disappointments as well, and we’ll have disappointments in the future, but what we need to understand that it’s for me behavioral.”

Reyna, who garnered 112 caps during his time with the US National Team as a midfielder, questioned the advancement of the game in the United States, looking to differentiate an increase in popularity from headway on the field. “What I think has happened in the past 10 years is we’re confusing investment, expansion, growth, and all these other things with progress,” Reyna said. “All these things have sort of created a feeling that we’re progressing, but I call it expanding, growth and more fans. From the general growth side it’s happening, but are we really progressing? When I look around at certain levels I don’t see progress happening.”

The 44-year-old eventually let the heads of the federation have it, saying nothing will improve no matter who is in charge unless the mentality of those at the helm changes. “People are sitting together and thinking about strategies and how we’re going to get better,” Reyna said. “We need a little humility and modesty at the table. Unfortunately we have a little too much ‘Mr. I Know Everything’, ‘Mr. Arrogance’, ‘Mr. Obnoxious’, ‘Mr. Loud’, and when those get together nothing happens.”

Before finishing out his chat with Goal, Reyna made sure to point out that the country has quality players at its disposal, and that it’s on the federation to develop them and pull the best out of them, or else the disappointments will continue.

“There’s a lot of positives despite the disappointing result that we had last week,” Reyna said. “I think we’re all embarrassed. I’m embarrassed as a former player that I have to go around and have people make fun of us, and get texts from my friends in Europe who remind me we’ll be on [vacation] next summer. I can laugh, but it hurts. It definitely hurts.”

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

U.S. "soccer" lambasted on 17:20 - Oct 18 with 3469 viewsMeraki

He might have a point about progress, hardly any players from the current US squad playing in the top teams in Europe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_men%27s_national_soccer_team#Current

I'm sure there were more in the PL alone back in the 90s?
U.S. "soccer" lambasted on 17:21 - Oct 18 with 3466 viewsA_Fans_Dad

He must know Bob personally, those descriptions fit him quite well.
U.S. on 17:22 - Oct 18 with 3464 viewsWingstandwood

Quote : “You travel to Spain, Argentina, Germany,” Reyna said, “and you run into coaches and sporting directors and there’s a humility about their work that doesn’t exist here, and that’s, for me, seeing it, is to me a big concern.”

I think too much delusion, zero humility, undeserving self confidence and lack of contrition was metamorphosed into utterly (for SCFC team) destructive-denial in BB's case.

The Swans could have lost every game by 5 goals and he still would have thought he was the 'real-deal' and Gods gift…… The impostor even had the gall to play the victim card months after pocketing mega-money-compensation courtesy of being sacked from a job he was extremely fortunate to have been offered in the first place. The guy should have just thanked his lucky stars!

Argus!

U.S. "soccer" lambasted on 17:37 - Oct 18 with 3415 viewsDavillin

U.S. "soccer" lambasted on 17:20 - Oct 18 by Meraki

He might have a point about progress, hardly any players from the current US squad playing in the top teams in Europe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_men%27s_national_soccer_team#Current

I'm sure there were more in the PL alone back in the 90s?

Regarding "Europe" -- a dirty word in U.S. soccer circles -- here's a true story.

About 25 or 30 years ago, one of my step-sons was attending a very large summer-long "soccer camp" at a major eastern city.

The man in charge of the organization which ran not only the camp, but the city's entire soccer league structure, was a friend of mine. I was an assistant football [American "football"] coach at a local university where he was the university's head soccer coach. Our two schedules ran concurrent, and the coaches shared the same locker room.

Until the following event happened, I would say that he and I had a friendly relationship.

During one camp session, where nearly all of the 30 or 40 "coaches" were qualified by being a parent of one of the campers, he and I were having a chat, when I suggested that the organization should consider bringing over a professional coach from Britain, or another European country with a strong football tradition, to give a coaching clinic and help with the camp for a week.

Well, you would have thought that i insulted his parents, his children, his wife, and his mistress, all at once, from the way he responded.

He nearly shrieked at me words to this effect, if not verbatim: [imagine I typed this in all caps, italics, bold, and crimson red]: "We don't need any British or European coaches coming over here to help us. We'll do it ourselves our own way."

WHEW!

That also helps explain -- or at least gives one good reason -- why U.S. players don't often go to play in Europe.

Well, P.S.ers, here we are decades later, and precious little has changed. As I was first reading the article above, I thought that Claudio Reyna had been lurking behind us. Reyna is dead right.

U.S. "soccer" lambasted on 18:09 - Oct 18 with 3363 viewsDarran

I love America,I’ve got many American friends,not internet ones but ones I’ve met several times who I talk to two or three times a week.
But I can’t lie, most of the Americans that have jumped on the Swansea City Premier League bandwagon talk utter fuçking shit on twitter.
It’s utterly cringeworthy from 99% of them.
They haven’t got a fuçking clue about Swansea City and most of them think they know more than people that have followed the club for 60 years.

I think I’ve unfollowed every single one of them now except for one. I look at what they’re writing and I think to myself WTF are you on about you utter fuçking cretin.

Gets right on my tits it does.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

U.S. on 18:12 - Oct 18 with 3354 viewsMeraki

My mate reminded me about the 35 yard penalty shoot outs at the weekend... I think I might prefer them

They remind me of something out of Takeshi's Castle!

[Post edited 18 Oct 2017 18:14]
U.S. "soccer" lambasted on 18:14 - Oct 18 with 3349 viewsnyc_swans

U.S. "soccer" lambasted on 18:09 - Oct 18 by Darran

I love America,I’ve got many American friends,not internet ones but ones I’ve met several times who I talk to two or three times a week.
But I can’t lie, most of the Americans that have jumped on the Swansea City Premier League bandwagon talk utter fuçking shit on twitter.
They haven’t got a fuçking clue about Swansea City and most of them think they know more than people that have followed the club for 60 years.

I think I’ve unfollowed every single one of them now except for one. I look at what they’re writing and I think to myself WTF are you on about you utter fuçking cretin.

as an american i know exactly what you mean.
U.S. "soccer" lambasted on 18:34 - Oct 18 with 3297 viewsMrSwerve

Is the MLS and US 'soccer' suffering because of the increase in European and South American players coming over there? A bit like the English team suffering because of the PL imports?

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Login to get fewer ads

U.S. on 19:02 - Oct 18 with 3238 viewsGaryjack

U.S. on 18:12 - Oct 18 by Meraki

My mate reminded me about the 35 yard penalty shoot outs at the weekend... I think I might prefer them

They remind me of something out of Takeshi's Castle!

[Post edited 18 Oct 2017 18:14]

On 2.38 the keeper clearly brings down the attacker. Does the ref give a pen in this instance? Or if he brings him down outside the box, do they bring all the players back on for the direct free kick
U.S. "soccer" lambasted on 19:13 - Oct 18 with 3210 viewslonglostjack

If our US owners are serious they'll take a hands off approach and listen to people who know about what it takes to be successful. To a certain extent they've done that post-Bobbly but seem to put HJ on a pedestal. He's probably said "I hate to say I told you so - leave it to me". It'll be their second big mistake. Commercially Mr Pearlman needs to get himself into a seat amongst proper fans and listen to their opinions. Never mind bloody stupid surveys about hospitality packages.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

U.S. on 19:14 - Oct 18 with 3207 viewsMeraki

U.S. on 19:02 - Oct 18 by Garyjack

On 2.38 the keeper clearly brings down the attacker. Does the ref give a pen in this instance? Or if he brings him down outside the box, do they bring all the players back on for the direct free kick

No idea sorry mate!

I've just realised its a bit like some of the run-ups the kids take against Cyril at half time!
"
Just watched it again, and you get a PROPER "PK" you're brought down in the box.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2017 19:22]
U.S. "soccer" lambasted on 19:55 - Oct 18 with 3145 viewsDavillin

U.S. "soccer" lambasted on 18:34 - Oct 18 by MrSwerve

Is the MLS and US 'soccer' suffering because of the increase in European and South American players coming over there? A bit like the English team suffering because of the PL imports?

Excellent question, but no, if anything, they're rather "not improving it."

Trust me, there are few if any American players sitting and stewing because they think they're better than the Europeans who have replaced them.

Although the European players coming over are famous with great records and famous names, they are, candidly, in the overage category for their home countries, but still effective over here.

I also doubt seriously whether they can influence the American players in view of the American coaches insistence on playing their way.

I am absolutely not being unkind here, but they're in the States to extend their high-income professional lives. I guess I can't blame them -- it's being offered, so why not take it?

U.S. "soccer" lambasted on 19:58 - Oct 18 with 3133 viewsTummer_from_Texas

U.S. "soccer" lambasted on 18:09 - Oct 18 by Darran

In that case, I'm quite honored that you are still following me, sir!

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

U.S. "soccer" lambasted on 20:03 - Oct 18 with 3114 viewsairedale

I wonder what would happen then, if a wealthy American club based itself in the UK with UK staff (American players) and flew to the US to play their league games?
U.S. "soccer" lambasted on 20:03 - Oct 18 with 3111 viewsDarran

U.S. "soccer" lambasted on 19:58 - Oct 18 by Tummer_from_Texas

In that case, I'm quite honored that you are still following me, sir!

Indeed.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

U.S. "soccer" lambasted on 09:18 - Oct 19 with 2830 viewsDewi1jack

One thing Sky showing MLS.

Makes us realise our team isn't as dreadful as we think

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024