Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Rules for Juniors 10:58 - Oct 19 with 5878 viewslidojack

Being trialled in Manchester reportedly. Very... interesting?

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/no-shouting-sidelines-no-sli
[Post edited 19 Oct 2017 11:37]
New Rules for Juniors on 11:23 - Oct 19 with 4933 viewsandypitt56

Whats the new rules?
New Rules for Juniors on 11:37 - Oct 19 with 4916 viewslidojack

New Rules for Juniors on 11:23 - Oct 19 by andypitt56

Whats the new rules?

Am I the only one who can see the picture?

The main ones are here: http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/no-shouting-sidelines-no-sli
New Rules for Juniors on 11:45 - Oct 19 with 4896 viewsandypitt56

When I commented there was no link.

cheers
New Rules for Juniors on 12:13 - Oct 19 with 4860 viewsBenJ94

The no slide tackling one is a bit bizzare.
New Rules for Juniors on 12:26 - Oct 19 with 4821 viewsMeraki

Compare that to how they operate in Spain...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/these-football-times/2016/nov/28/english-fo
New Rules for Juniors on 12:38 - Oct 19 with 4794 viewsDarran

New Rules for Juniors on 12:26 - Oct 19 by Meraki

Compare that to how they operate in Spain...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/these-football-times/2016/nov/28/english-fo

That was great untill they mention Eder at the end.

Seriously though as much as I’d like to see us win and play like Brazil from he 70s on Saturday I don’t care as long we win.
I think winning should be the most important thing of all and people that have actually said they’d rather see us play pretty football and lose should stop going.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

New Rules for Juniors on 12:44 - Oct 19 with 4772 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

New Rules for Juniors on 12:38 - Oct 19 by Darran

Seriously though as much as I’d like to see us win and play like Brazil from he 70s on Saturday I don’t care as long we win.
I think winning should be the most important thing of all and people that have actually said they’d rather see us play pretty football and lose should stop going.

If it will help younger children better develop their footballing abilities before they begin playing seriously as they get older then that is great.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

New Rules for Juniors on 13:02 - Oct 19 with 4732 viewsMrSwerve

I agree, winning is the most important thing.

I've always defended teams such as Stoke for winning ugly, who gives a toss if you string 50 passes together if the ball ends up with your own goalkeeper.

Obviously I'd rather a team playing sexy football and winning 3-0 every game but the fact is that this is VERY rare in football and tends to be the teams with huge amounts of money.

We had a fairly decent version of this in the Martinez to Laudrup years, but this is a small part of our history. This season we've gambled by trying to go back to possession style football, and only time will tell whether it's good enough to survive in this league.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Login to get fewer ads

New Rules for Juniors on 13:15 - Oct 19 with 4710 viewssherpajacob

Don't know what its like in Swansea but many of these are already in operation in vale of glamorgan minis.

The retreat to half way for a goal kick is a particularly good one IMHO.

When I see academy and ADC coaches, they never shout instructions from the sidelines, they always wait until a player comes off before discussing what he could have done differently.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

New Rules for Juniors on 14:00 - Oct 19 with 4643 viewsTheFranchise

I'd get rid of heading the ball until under 15's too.
New Rules for Juniors on 16:01 - Oct 19 with 4570 viewsploppy

I know you didn't quite say this Darran, but I've never understood anyone saying it's only the result that matters. If that's the case people don't need to watch the game, they could just look at the final score. Surely, being entertained is part of the experience - although different people will be entertained in different ways, I suppose. Granted, when we absolutely had to win games at the tail end of last season, pretty football would have counted for nothing. But then, in those types of games, a lot of the "entertainment" comes from the tension and emotion. It's a strange kind of entertainment all the same.

Bejezus, I should get out more ...
New Rules for Juniors on 16:04 - Oct 19 with 4558 viewssherpajacob

If management doesn't work out, Cookie could always take up acting.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2017 16:05]

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

New Rules for Juniors on 16:05 - Oct 19 with 4553 viewsDarran

New Rules for Juniors on 16:01 - Oct 19 by ploppy

I know you didn't quite say this Darran, but I've never understood anyone saying it's only the result that matters. If that's the case people don't need to watch the game, they could just look at the final score. Surely, being entertained is part of the experience - although different people will be entertained in different ways, I suppose. Granted, when we absolutely had to win games at the tail end of last season, pretty football would have counted for nothing. But then, in those types of games, a lot of the "entertainment" comes from the tension and emotion. It's a strange kind of entertainment all the same.

Bejezus, I should get out more ...

Yeah I get where you're coming from I suppose but there's other things that can happen in a game that can get you on the edge of your seat too.

Mind you part of what I said about Saturday was taking into consideration that we've got Arsenal away next game.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

New Rules for Juniors on 16:19 - Oct 19 with 4529 viewsploppy

New Rules for Juniors on 16:05 - Oct 19 by Darran

Yeah I get where you're coming from I suppose but there's other things that can happen in a game that can get you on the edge of your seat too.

Mind you part of what I said about Saturday was taking into consideration that we've got Arsenal away next game.

Oh, absolutely.
New Rules for Juniors on 16:43 - Oct 19 with 4509 viewsTheFranchise

New Rules for Juniors on 16:04 - Oct 19 by sherpajacob

If management doesn't work out, Cookie could always take up acting.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2017 16:05]

that line needs to be 20 feet back.
New Rules for Juniors on 16:47 - Oct 19 with 4504 viewsHighjack

New Rules for Juniors on 12:13 - Oct 19 by BenJ94

The no slide tackling one is a bit bizzare.

Yeah they want the kids to move away from poncy slide tackling and learn how to be more efficient with the dangerous lunge.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

New Rules for Juniors on 23:34 - Oct 19 with 4374 viewsKerouac

New Rules for Juniors on 13:15 - Oct 19 by sherpajacob

Don't know what its like in Swansea but many of these are already in operation in vale of glamorgan minis.

The retreat to half way for a goal kick is a particularly good one IMHO.

When I see academy and ADC coaches, they never shout instructions from the sidelines, they always wait until a player comes off before discussing what he could have done differently.

The situation you are describing is the ideal BUT...

in Academy football everybody on the pitch is a tidy player, switched on, competitive, understand what is trying to be achieved...try coaching a team where 2/3 of the kids (in say, 7-a-side, U10s) haven't got a scooby, are stood still like statues and are not sure they really want to be there. Add in the fact that they haven't paid a blind bit of notice to the lessons being drummed in to them for the previous 2 seasons and see if you shout!
Sometimes it is literally a case of them needing a jolt to wake up to the impending danger.

Coaching the good players is easy, cerebral even.

Drilling a bunch of mid-low ability players into a functioning unit so that they can compete and give the 1/2 players with talent in the team any kind of chance/platform to do the business and score some goals is a different animal.
You end up sounding like a fecking military drill sergeant at times, but when they get a result against the odds they ALL EARNED IT and you try taking the smile off their faces.
Winning isn't what it is ALL about but it is very important indeed, otherwise what's the point?

A team of any ability can be improved doing the following;
- Start off teaching them to defend and be nasty, to work their bollocks off for the team. To play to their strengths and mask their weaknesses.
- Then work on team shape, drill them mercilessly.
- When you have that, you teach them to pass and move. You teach them to keep it simple.
- When you have a confident competitive team who can keep the ball for 6+ passes...that's when you encourage the boys to express themselves in the right areas at the right time.
IMHO.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2017 23:36]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

New Rules for Juniors on 13:35 - Oct 20 with 4276 viewsLeonWasGod

New Rules for Juniors on 14:00 - Oct 19 by TheFranchise

I'd get rid of heading the ball until under 15's too.

Indeed. Given the increasing evidence linking heading with problems later in life you'd think this would be Top of the list.

Silent sidelines is a stupid idea. Kids should be able to receive support and instructions. Just because some parents are idiots shouldn't be reason to take that support away from the kids. Especially important for younger kids imo (under 8s-9s).

There are a few good things there, but it's a bit of a mixed bag.
New Rules for Juniors on 15:29 - Oct 20 with 4234 viewsTheFranchise

New Rules for Juniors on 13:35 - Oct 20 by LeonWasGod

Indeed. Given the increasing evidence linking heading with problems later in life you'd think this would be Top of the list.

Silent sidelines is a stupid idea. Kids should be able to receive support and instructions. Just because some parents are idiots shouldn't be reason to take that support away from the kids. Especially important for younger kids imo (under 8s-9s).

Nope, silent sidelines would be amazing.

We're in october and i've had to talk to a number of managers/coaches about their conduct and the way they talk to their players.
New Rules for Juniors on 01:11 - Oct 21 with 4100 viewsJack_Kass

New Rules for Juniors on 13:35 - Oct 20 by LeonWasGod

No, the only instructions any young player needs is from themselves.

I compare it to a traffic light system.

If you and I are driving and come to traffic lights, we only have 3 pieces of information possible (red, amber, green) none of which conflict with one another. Decisions are simple.

If one time you and I are driving, and those lights are to all show at the same time, then what would most of us do? Most likely freeze, before we had time to analyse the situation around us and proceed correctly.

Compare this to a young player in the game, who should only have one light in front of them every time they get the ball.

Yet, while they are working to decipher their own information, they have parents on one sideline, providing conflicting info, and then the coaches on the other sideline, also trying to give them information.

It is too much. They simply freeze, just like we would if they were driving a car, and they then take more time to analyse the situation, which by then, it is usually too late in regards to the speed of the game.

How can you expect any player to develop if they have to analyse information from three lights, everytime they get the ball, instead of just one?

Poll: FA Cup or Premier League

New Rules for Juniors on 01:55 - Oct 21 with 4087 viewsLeonWasGod

New Rules for Juniors on 01:11 - Oct 21 by Jack_Kass

No, the only instructions any young player needs is from themselves.

I compare it to a traffic light system.

If you and I are driving and come to traffic lights, we only have 3 pieces of information possible (red, amber, green) none of which conflict with one another. Decisions are simple.

If one time you and I are driving, and those lights are to all show at the same time, then what would most of us do? Most likely freeze, before we had time to analyse the situation around us and proceed correctly.

Compare this to a young player in the game, who should only have one light in front of them every time they get the ball.

Yet, while they are working to decipher their own information, they have parents on one sideline, providing conflicting info, and then the coaches on the other sideline, also trying to give them information.

It is too much. They simply freeze, just like we would if they were driving a car, and they then take more time to analyse the situation, which by then, it is usually too late in regards to the speed of the game.

How can you expect any player to develop if they have to analyse information from three lights, everytime they get the ball, instead of just one?

I understand that, but would argue that the problem is the conflicting info, not noise per se. My answer would be for the parents to be told how best to support the kids. Seeing kids soccer here in the US has been a massive eye opener in this regard - the parents are noisy but nothing but supportive. I don't think I've heard advice given, just support. It's very different to home and I've had to rein myself in as I'm too critical here (I'm fairly quiet at home).

Maybe it's a problem if the coaches cause issues too (and I know this happens - there was a problem coach last season in my boy's league). But I'd rather see them better informed or dealt with, rather than penalising everyone else.
New Rules for Juniors on 03:44 - Oct 21 with 4073 viewsJack_Kass

New Rules for Juniors on 01:55 - Oct 21 by LeonWasGod

I understand that, but would argue that the problem is the conflicting info, not noise per se. My answer would be for the parents to be told how best to support the kids. Seeing kids soccer here in the US has been a massive eye opener in this regard - the parents are noisy but nothing but supportive. I don't think I've heard advice given, just support. It's very different to home and I've had to rein myself in as I'm too critical here (I'm fairly quiet at home).

Maybe it's a problem if the coaches cause issues too (and I know this happens - there was a problem coach last season in my boy's league). But I'd rather see them better informed or dealt with, rather than penalising everyone else.

Please send your parents my way! I spend a hideous amount of time reigning my current group in.

My favourite lines so far this year have been

"Let that ball bounce in front of you Billy"

"Don't get offsides on that throwing play Jenny"

Doesn't help the referees are really, and i mean REALLY clueless here.

Just last weekend one ref gave a terrible offside decision against my team, and then turned around and said to my face that he called us offside because he should have given handball against us earlier in the game. You have to laugh.

Poll: FA Cup or Premier League

New Rules for Juniors on 04:53 - Oct 21 with 4062 viewsHumpty

New Rules for Juniors on 23:34 - Oct 19 by Kerouac

The situation you are describing is the ideal BUT...

in Academy football everybody on the pitch is a tidy player, switched on, competitive, understand what is trying to be achieved...try coaching a team where 2/3 of the kids (in say, 7-a-side, U10s) haven't got a scooby, are stood still like statues and are not sure they really want to be there. Add in the fact that they haven't paid a blind bit of notice to the lessons being drummed in to them for the previous 2 seasons and see if you shout!
Sometimes it is literally a case of them needing a jolt to wake up to the impending danger.

Coaching the good players is easy, cerebral even.

Drilling a bunch of mid-low ability players into a functioning unit so that they can compete and give the 1/2 players with talent in the team any kind of chance/platform to do the business and score some goals is a different animal.
You end up sounding like a fecking military drill sergeant at times, but when they get a result against the odds they ALL EARNED IT and you try taking the smile off their faces.
Winning isn't what it is ALL about but it is very important indeed, otherwise what's the point?

A team of any ability can be improved doing the following;
- Start off teaching them to defend and be nasty, to work their bollocks off for the team. To play to their strengths and mask their weaknesses.
- Then work on team shape, drill them mercilessly.
- When you have that, you teach them to pass and move. You teach them to keep it simple.
- When you have a confident competitive team who can keep the ball for 6+ passes...that's when you encourage the boys to express themselves in the right areas at the right time.
IMHO.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2017 23:36]

Some kids getting out in the morning and running about playing a game of football. Perhaps there's some point in kids doing that?

Forgive me for saying it but you sort of sound like the type of person who shouldn't really be involved in kids football.

Really? Kids football?
New Rules for Juniors on 10:42 - Oct 21 with 3969 viewsTheFranchise

New Rules for Juniors on 03:44 - Oct 21 by Jack_Kass

Please send your parents my way! I spend a hideous amount of time reigning my current group in.

My favourite lines so far this year have been

"Let that ball bounce in front of you Billy"

"Don't get offsides on that throwing play Jenny"

Doesn't help the referees are really, and i mean REALLY clueless here.

Just last weekend one ref gave a terrible offside decision against my team, and then turned around and said to my face that he called us offside because he should have given handball against us earlier in the game. You have to laugh.

what game was that?
New Rules for Juniors on 12:58 - Oct 21 with 3916 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

In your opinion!!

I can take a defeat much better when there's been good football played - I disagree with anyone who says winning is all that matters

Although it is a very important part and what we aim for!!

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024