Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bed blocking solved! 07:43 - Oct 26 with 3216 viewsPrivate_Partz

Bed blocking. One of the many reasons the NHS has problems .
Some beut has suggested all those living near a hospital, with a spare bedroom and an en suite, can look after these poor souls whilst they recuperate.
The patient will have 3 meals a day and the home owner will be trained. Payment for said owner will be in excess of £1k a month.
I can see them queuing up for this in Derwen Fawr and Rhydypandy.
This would provide the perfect environment for sharks and the unscrupulous to ply their trade.
Only in the land of Dope and Tory.........
[Post edited 26 Oct 2017 10:06]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Bed blocking solved! on 11:41 - Oct 26 with 2413 viewstheloneranger

You will have to spend some of that £1k on a Microwave oven because those 3 meals must be at least a Microwave meal.

Using a bit of savvy, take out Life and Funeral Insurance Policies on the said patient and you'll be quids in!!

Harold Shipman must be turning in his grave!!

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Bed blocking solved! on 12:01 - Oct 26 with 2408 viewsValerie

If Labour had not spunked £10 billion on their failed and later shelved PC system for the NHS it may not have come to this.
In reality we all know it will not come about,to many hurdles eg post treatment liability and only time before a patient sues a householder for £100s of thousands.
Will never happen.
And even Southend Hospital where these stories originate say its complete BS and they have no plans on doing it.

[Post edited 26 Oct 2017 12:06]
Bed blocking solved! on 12:27 - Oct 26 with 2382 viewsLord_Bony

Can you imagine some of the houses these poor patients will have to go to?

Hospital sorry we got no beds you ll have to stay with one of our outside families.

All sorts of creepy dirty sods out there and vulnerable patients to look after.

The NHS needs to be careful whatever high flying exec thought this one up its a beaut for sure.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Bed blocking solved! on 12:54 - Oct 26 with 2368 viewsPrivate_Partz

Bed blocking solved! on 12:01 - Oct 26 by Valerie

If Labour had not spunked £10 billion on their failed and later shelved PC system for the NHS it may not have come to this.
In reality we all know it will not come about,to many hurdles eg post treatment liability and only time before a patient sues a householder for £100s of thousands.
Will never happen.
And even Southend Hospital where these stories originate say its complete BS and they have no plans on doing it.

Well the Head of the Nuffield Trust seems to have an open mind on it.
I agree though. If it ever got off the ground it would cost a fortune with properties and owners bring assessed. The worry for me is the DSS type B and Bs would seize on this. Also unscrupulous property developers.
Much better to resurrect the care at home initiatives. Be they under the NHS or LAs. No Private Sector involvement as there is no profit to be had here.
With regards to your first point. I wonder how much longer the Tories can carry on blaming Labour for the ills of the Country. That excuse is becoming lamer with each year that passes. Even the Maybot uses it sparingly now.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2017 7:22]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Bed blocking solved! on 13:01 - Oct 26 with 2359 viewsAguycalledJack

Is this not the role that the old hospices and rehabilitation hospitals used to play?
Bed blocking solved! on 14:23 - Oct 26 with 2326 viewslondonlisa2001

I tell you one of the most offensive things I can imagine is calling someone a bed blocker.

They're not bed blockers, they're vulnerable elderly patients who cannot be discharged to a place of safety that will provide them with their basic needs.

It's an absolute bloody disgrace calling them bed blockers as though they are somehow to blame.

The whole system needs looking at again. And I know that anything involving the NHS is regarded as untouchable. But we can't carry on like this. There has to be a joined up provision of hospitals, respite, recovery, care homes, nursing homes, recuperation homes. It's all so short termist. We don't spend money building new care and recuperation centres, and then we don't have beds available for hospital treatment.

How difficult can it be for God's sake.

As an aside - how can they offer £50 a night for this and yet carers only get £60 ish for a week?

These people wouldn't put their own parents in with some untrained unknown heating up crap food 3 times as day, so why put any one else's parents in? Mind you, anyone that allows their parents or other relatives or friends to go into one of these should be shot.

What on earth is the matter with our society? Are we really this selfish?
Bed blocking solved! on 14:27 - Oct 26 with 2319 viewsDarran

Bed blocking solved! on 14:23 - Oct 26 by londonlisa2001

I tell you one of the most offensive things I can imagine is calling someone a bed blocker.

They're not bed blockers, they're vulnerable elderly patients who cannot be discharged to a place of safety that will provide them with their basic needs.

It's an absolute bloody disgrace calling them bed blockers as though they are somehow to blame.

The whole system needs looking at again. And I know that anything involving the NHS is regarded as untouchable. But we can't carry on like this. There has to be a joined up provision of hospitals, respite, recovery, care homes, nursing homes, recuperation homes. It's all so short termist. We don't spend money building new care and recuperation centres, and then we don't have beds available for hospital treatment.

As an aside - how can they offer £50 a night for this and yet carers only get £60 ish for a week?

These people wouldn't put their own parents in with some untrained unknown heating up crap food 3 times as day, so why put any one else's parents in? Mind you, anyone that allows their parents or other relatives or friends to go into one of these should be shot.

Nah I’ve just been down Morriston Hospital for the last few hours with Amy and the people standing outside outpatients attached to portable drips and pumps smoking are definitely bed blocking.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Bed blocking solved! on 14:31 - Oct 26 with 2313 viewstheloneranger

Bed blocking solved! on 13:01 - Oct 26 by AguycalledJack

Is this not the role that the old hospices and rehabilitation hospitals used to play?

Hospices, Rehabilitation and Convalescent Homes were/are manned by trained medical staff

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Login to get fewer ads

Bed blocking solved! on 22:53 - Oct 26 with 2242 viewsleighton1318

All this is because 'other' Govt policies cratered the adequate, though imperfect, halfway houses of care homes, care at home, which was the recently established transition ... what was there was not great but the whole system has fallen apart in the last three years. Look at the unintended impact of national minimum wage, Brexit, etc. Can't comment on LA/ NHS cuts but the policy was always to get non critical people out of hospital - not in itself wrong; but the issue is what next ...
Bed blocking solved! on 23:30 - Oct 26 with 2222 viewsLeonWasGod

Yes, local cottage hospitals, and families. People are too busy to look after their own these days though.
Bed blocking solved! on 07:26 - Oct 27 with 2181 viewsPrivate_Partz

Fair comment Lisa. Apologies for using the term in my OP. I was just quoting the oft used phrase to bring it to posters attention
I agree with you. Society stinks under this government as we strive to save money at the expense of the vulnerable.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2017 7:33]

Bed blocking solved! on 07:32 - Oct 27 with 2178 viewsPrivate_Partz

Clydach, Garngoch, Fairwood, Cwmdonkin, Hill House and Gorseinon. Just a few of the recuperation hospitals in this area that have either been closed or its use changed. Imagine how many we have lost right across the UK?
Couple this with the collapse and privatisation of Home Helps, home adaptation / improvements, and Meals on Wheels and you have your answer.
All in the name of austerity and cost saving.

Bed blocking solved! on 08:14 - Oct 27 with 2158 viewsJack_Meoff

Bed blocking solved! on 07:32 - Oct 27 by Private_Partz

Clydach, Garngoch, Fairwood, Cwmdonkin, Hill House and Gorseinon. Just a few of the recuperation hospitals in this area that have either been closed or its use changed. Imagine how many we have lost right across the UK?
Couple this with the collapse and privatisation of Home Helps, home adaptation / improvements, and Meals on Wheels and you have your answer.
All in the name of austerity and cost saving.

Austerity is just an excuse to sell off our public services dirt cheap to those for whom enough is never enough. It's totally by design. Our government are traitors; war mongering arms dealing criminals who are utterly bought and paid for by corporate and financial interests.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Bed blocking solved! on 11:18 - Oct 27 with 2124 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Indeed

Society is absolutely f@cked Lisa

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Bed blocking solved! on 13:41 - Oct 27 with 2079 viewsAguycalledJack

Bed blocking solved! on 14:31 - Oct 26 by theloneranger

Hospices, Rehabilitation and Convalescent Homes were/are manned by trained medical staff

That was kind of my point. Most of these were closed down and now the NHS is in the position it is without them.

There will be some private company before long jumping on this and offering the service.

Agree with the above comments re; bed-blockers. They are not FCUKING customers.
Bed blocking solved! on 12:28 - Oct 28 with 1982 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Some of it is completely unnecessary. My aunt who is widowed with no children and 79 years old was refused the choice of keyhole surgery to replace her heart valve and will have to go through the whole gruesome and painfully long rehabilitation just because the assembly says so.
The keyhole surgery is a local anaesthetic and after a couple of nights at most on a high dependency ward so could go home and be self sufficient (obviously the family will be around to help in any way she wants but she could comfortably get on with life).
The option they are making her take was described to her by her consultant as leaving injuries similar to that of a train crash , will require at least a week in intensive care and a long stay in hospital before she can go home . Then there's likely to be more therapy while she adjusts. If she lived in England she'd have a choice but not here in Carwyn's land of milk and honey.
I still can't get my head around it

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Bed blocking solved! on 12:34 - Oct 28 with 1975 viewsLord_Bony

Bed blocking solved! on 12:28 - Oct 28 by Brynmill_Jack

Some of it is completely unnecessary. My aunt who is widowed with no children and 79 years old was refused the choice of keyhole surgery to replace her heart valve and will have to go through the whole gruesome and painfully long rehabilitation just because the assembly says so.
The keyhole surgery is a local anaesthetic and after a couple of nights at most on a high dependency ward so could go home and be self sufficient (obviously the family will be around to help in any way she wants but she could comfortably get on with life).
The option they are making her take was described to her by her consultant as leaving injuries similar to that of a train crash , will require at least a week in intensive care and a long stay in hospital before she can go home . Then there's likely to be more therapy while she adjusts. If she lived in England she'd have a choice but not here in Carwyn's land of milk and honey.
I still can't get my head around it

She could temporarily move to England and she would qualify? Just a thought.

There are certain treatments for myself I cannot get because we are in Wales.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Bed blocking solved! on 12:54 - Oct 28 with 1958 viewslondonlisa2001

Bed blocking solved! on 07:26 - Oct 27 by Private_Partz

Fair comment Lisa. Apologies for using the term in my OP. I was just quoting the oft used phrase to bring it to posters attention
I agree with you. Society stinks under this government as we strive to save money at the expense of the vulnerable.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2017 7:33]

I know you were PP. sorry, my remark wasn't directed at you, more how this term has become accepted to describe people that are doing no more than recoverin. It's a blaming term.
Bed blocking solved! on 13:02 - Oct 28 with 1955 viewslondonlisa2001

Bed blocking solved! on 12:34 - Oct 28 by Lord_Bony

I live in England and have done for 30 years or so. Most of my family lives in Wales or has lived in Wales for the years they were still alive during that period.

I can honestly say, that the level of healthcare available to me and the level of healthcare available to them, is very different. If I've needed treatment, or scans, or appointments, I'm never waiting as long as them. To be honest, I didn't notice when I was in my twenties or thirties as healthcare doesn't much enter your mind at that age. But certainly in the last 10 years or so, I've noticed a massive difference.

And yet for all of that time, healthcare has been devolved to the party in Wales that supposedly is a better custodian. Whereas in England, for much of the last ten years it's been under the control of the evil Tories who want to smash it up.

Granted, I don't get free prescriptions, but then I don't need them. And if I want paracetamol I buy it for 20p rather than get a prescription for it (at massive cost to the NHS).
Bed blocking solved! on 16:49 - Oct 28 with 1908 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Bed blocking solved! on 12:34 - Oct 28 by Lord_Bony

I was trying to highlight the absurdity of the situation and how keyhole surgery would have affected both her and the NHS locally with significantly less impact than the full open heart surgery will be doing.
It's a travesty why both of you can't get treatments that you need locally mate. P S hope you're doing ok LB

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Bed blocking solved! on 17:12 - Oct 28 with 1892 viewsjack_lord

Bed blocking solved! on 12:01 - Oct 26 by Valerie

Will never happen.

Labour were not to blame. The IT systems were archaic and the Government of the day tackled the issue but was beset by changing specifications, technical challenges and disputes with suppliers which left it years behind schedule and over budget.

Lisa has made great points. The local community hospital closures have been covered.

The big shame is that many elderly people are ignored by their own families who leave it to a bursting system to recuperate.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Bed blocking solved! on 19:46 - Oct 28 with 1856 viewsPrivate_Partz

Bed blocking solved! on 17:12 - Oct 28 by jack_lord

Labour were not to blame. The IT systems were archaic and the Government of the day tackled the issue but was beset by changing specifications, technical challenges and disputes with suppliers which left it years behind schedule and over budget.

Lisa has made great points. The local community hospital closures have been covered.

The big shame is that many elderly people are ignored by their own families who leave it to a bursting system to recuperate.

I am really not so sure about your last point. Most people are decent imho although there will always be a minority who do not care.
The problem since the Thatcher era is that both family members have to work. It has been made worse by austerity as many now have more than one poorly paid job.it makes it almost impossible for many to care for their relatives.
The NHS really should be cradle to grave. In later life that does not mean being hospitalised indefinitely but help and support should be available to those in need and support for families in turn to look after them.
The NHS is not perfect. It has a bunker mentality and I believe it could be made more efficient. Not by working staff harder though. The opposite in fact. Nurses should have the time to look after the patients they care for.
Ultimately it needs to be paid for by taxation and the Private Sector should have no part in it. Unless of course the super rich want to be kept in the style they are accustomed to and they can pay for that themselves.
[Post edited 28 Oct 2017 19:48]

Bed blocking solved! on 20:01 - Oct 28 with 1842 viewsjack_lord

Bed blocking solved! on 19:46 - Oct 28 by Private_Partz

I am really not so sure about your last point. Most people are decent imho although there will always be a minority who do not care.
The problem since the Thatcher era is that both family members have to work. It has been made worse by austerity as many now have more than one poorly paid job.it makes it almost impossible for many to care for their relatives.
The NHS really should be cradle to grave. In later life that does not mean being hospitalised indefinitely but help and support should be available to those in need and support for families in turn to look after them.
The NHS is not perfect. It has a bunker mentality and I believe it could be made more efficient. Not by working staff harder though. The opposite in fact. Nurses should have the time to look after the patients they care for.
Ultimately it needs to be paid for by taxation and the Private Sector should have no part in it. Unless of course the super rich want to be kept in the style they are accustomed to and they can pay for that themselves.

I think there has been a huge shift in all things since Thatcher. I agree that the private sector should have no part in it. I do, however, shudder at the cost of nursing homes to the public sector.

Nursing has also shifted a huge amount since that time where they spend three years at University with an entry requirement of 3 B's and once qualified are not really there for the caring but more organisational care but do get stuck in.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Bed blocking solved! on 20:06 - Oct 28 with 1842 viewsFlashberryjack

Bed blocking solved! on 19:46 - Oct 28 by Private_Partz

One of the big problems is there are far to many people relying on the NHS, sadly the ones that have payed into the system all their working lives are being described as "bed blockers"

I know I will get a slating, but the mass immigration we have seen over many years was bound to impact on housing, and the NHS.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Bed blocking solved! on 21:35 - Oct 28 with 1819 viewsrockn

The way to solve bed blocking is to move to a European style health system away from our communist system.

The NHS is the UK's blind spot and will continue to be for some time yet. Maybe on benefit of brexit will be the eventual break of the NHS when we complete a deal with the US. ... I've found a positive, I don't believe it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024