Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I went to Cardiff this week... 20:15 - Oct 27 with 6958 viewsSwanzay

For the 1st time since around 2012, feck me it makes Swansea look like a 3rd world City with the nearly completed BBC building etc as you come off the train station.

All we get is feckin Rob Stewart with his vibrant Swansea Artist Impressions...

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-41776783
[Post edited 27 Oct 2017 20:18]
I went to Cardiff this week... on 20:20 - Oct 27 with 4401 viewswhoflungdung

Ive pointed this out and got told off for slagging off Swansea

But more needed

Swansea needs massive regeneration and by that ,I don't mean building new university campus .

Swansea doesn't need more students on the pisse looking for cheap nights out but real money coming in

Pity the BF bridges didn't have tolls

Poll: Is it Spa or spa

I went to Cardiff this week... on 20:57 - Oct 27 with 4329 viewsjack2jack

I went to Cardiff this week... on 20:20 - Oct 27 by whoflungdung

But more needed

Swansea needs massive regeneration and by that ,I don't mean building new university campus .

Swansea doesn't need more students on the pisse looking for cheap nights out but real money coming in

I tend to agree with you there tbh.
I went to Cardiff this week... on 21:01 - Oct 27 with 4311 viewswhoflungdung

Swansea s demise is Seansea s concern .no fooker else's

I went to Cardiff this week... on 21:05 - Oct 27 with 4292 viewsLord_Bony

Been living in Carediff for.three years now. Loves it.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

I went to Cardiff this week... on 21:19 - Oct 27 with 4259 viewswhoflungdung

Without doubt Cardiff now is the point of contact of everything

Swansea should by now be THE place to look to for west Walians

Carmarthen being compared to Swansea as a shopping centre is simply degrading to Jacks .

That said, Carmarthen is doing summat right as is Cardiff ,whose people have the cockiness and confidence Jacks once had . It hurts like hell

I went to Cardiff this week... on 21:40 - Oct 27 with 4203 viewsdickythorpe

Carmarthen has done alright but our restaurants, pubs can't hold a candle to Swansea's. That's why all the youngsters go out in Wind Street evert weekend.
Only the rugger buggers, townies, farmers and nutters drink in Carmarthen.

The 1990's was the last hurrah for Carmarthen drinkers. Swansea holds many a special memory for the diners and drinkers of Carmarthen Town.

For many a year a lot of jacks used to come down for FA cup final day, good fun in the Queens, Angel Vaults and Spread.
I went to Cardiff this week... on 21:53 - Oct 27 with 4170 viewsjack_lord

But more needed

They can thank us dumb twaots for voting for devolution.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

I went to Cardiff this week... on 22:26 - Oct 27 with 4092 viewsjack2jack

I went to Cardiff this week... on 21:01 - Oct 27 by whoflungdung

Login to get fewer ads

I went to Cardiff this week... on 22:31 - Oct 27 with 4078 viewsmax936

Neath is picking up, new bars/restaurants opening up and I heard to that a Quadrant style shopping precinct is going where the old Tesco's was.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

I went to Cardiff this week... on 23:00 - Oct 27 with 4026 viewsPrivate_Partz

It just goes to show what could be achieved for Wales if WAG had any ambition for anything beyond their own doorstep.
They have the vast majority the well paid jobs in the Public, Private and Third Sectors so it's hardly surprising they get a lot of bling to go with it.
All this for a flat featureless mid sized city with mudflats for a bay. An area that has no historic right to be Capital that, quite surprisingly, still has a few bigger slum areas than Swansea.
We will always be sexier but the lack of investment really shows now. I think it is noticeable how the Cardiff punters in their City Centre look considerably better dressed than those in our shopping areas.
For me our only flagships are our University and football club. If Jenkins effs up the latter it will no doubt exacerbate our downward spiral.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

I went to Cardiff this week... on 23:12 - Oct 27 with 4004 viewslifelong

I went to Cardiff this week... on 23:00 - Oct 27 by Private_Partz

It just goes to show what could be achieved for Wales if WAG had any ambition for anything beyond their own doorstep.
They have the vast majority the well paid jobs in the Public, Private and Third Sectors so it's hardly surprising they get a lot of bling to go with it.
All this for a flat featureless mid sized city with mudflats for a bay. An area that has no historic right to be Capital that, quite surprisingly, still has a few bigger slum areas than Swansea.
We will always be sexier but the lack of investment really shows now. I think it is noticeable how the Cardiff punters in their City Centre look considerably better dressed than those in our shopping areas.
For me our only flagships are our University and football club. If Jenkins effs up the latter it will no doubt exacerbate our downward spiral.

You just had to watch the BBC Wales early news bulletin to see how vital it is for us to stay in the Premier League.
I went to Cardiff this week... on 23:39 - Oct 27 with 3968 viewswhoflungdung

Indeed it is Roger

I went to Cardiff this week... on 06:43 - Oct 28 with 3827 viewsjack247

You went to Cardiff for the first time in 5 years?

It’s clearly working for them then.
I went to Cardiff this week... on 09:09 - Oct 28 with 3685 viewsKilkennyjack

I went to Cardiff this week... on 21:01 - Oct 27 by whoflungdung

Good luck to old Seansea ... ffs !

Beware of the Risen People

I went to Cardiff this week... on 09:23 - Oct 28 with 3677 viewswhoflungdung

Some sensible posts here so thanks

I left Swansea in 1976 (March 9th) Wales stuffed the Irish at rugby .

I believed it would become a "regional capital" and a serious player.

It seems a forgotten backwater now and many are to blame

I'm not sure as to its future but it must find an identity and promote it

Cardiff has promoted itself admirably over the years . It's a nothing geographically and tortured with valley warriors opting down to find respite from perpetual greyness .

Loads to do there though and a place to make good money

I went to Cardiff this week... on 09:24 - Oct 28 with 3675 viewsBrynmill_Jack

We are stuck between a rock and a hard place and we're so much better off before devolution. It's ironic but the British government have suppressed/oppressed Swansea far less than our "Welsh" "Government" oppressors, led by dictator Carwyn.

Can we claim devolution from Cardiff? The city state dream lives on here!!

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

I went to Cardiff this week... on 09:35 - Oct 28 with 3655 viewswhoflungdung

I thought devolution would split us north / south but it seems it's south east and everywhere else .

We re more divided than England

I'm really depressed Steve ,seriously.

My son was over yesterday and asked me how things were back home and he noted something within me has changed . Watching Valley Cops wasn't a good either

now their club is on track to really put the nail in our city s coffin

I went to Cardiff this week... on 10:39 - Oct 28 with 3562 viewsjackportis

As i have said before Swansea needs to increase its diverse cultures.

Jackportis the brand. “A gifted poster”, “planet swans have a real talent on their hands in the name of Jackportis” sky sports 2018. . JP fully supports posters of LBG, mx orientation and ethnic minority groups. Update - now fully supporting the pansexual community.

I went to Cardiff this week... on 10:53 - Oct 28 with 3544 viewswestside

Guess which mugs are paying for BBC Wales new HQ in Cardiff
I went to Cardiff this week... on 14:04 - Oct 28 with 3458 viewsexhmrc1

But more needed

Your post is totally misleading. We are not talking about a few students on the piss but about a huge expansion creating jobs. The new campus buildings didn't build themselves. They created jobs for architects, engineers and tradesman. If you were to look on the left coming in Fabian way you will see loads of buildings, halls and houses being or have been built. These create all kinds of jobs as diverse as new lecturers, admin staff and cleaning staff.
In addition there are to be several large buildings to be built in town again providing more construction jobs.
The new campus has links to major companies like Rolls Royce, British Aerospace and Dawnus leading to research jobs. Natural Resources Wales are relocating to Singleton to replace the computer science department which is being built on the bay with research opportunities in the new computational foundry building.
If you came in on the new road from the Liberty you would see a large amount of development taking place there as well.
There are huge differences between Swansea and Cardiff. One is the train network. People can travel direct to work by train from places like Maesteg, Barry, Merthyr, Pontypridd, Caerphilly, Ebbw Vale, Cwmbran, Pontypool, Abergavenny,Chepstow or Lydney. This is all within 1 hours travel each way. The only routes from Swansea are along the main line to Cardiff or west to Carmarthen plus a very infrequent service along the Heart of Wales line.
There is a huge difference in the numbers available in the travel to work area. Barry on its own has a greater population than the whole Swansea Valley and Gower combined. This is before adding in places like Merthyr etc.
The large scale development next to the station might work there due to sheer numbers but is not likely to work in Swansea where there simply isn't the numbers or the travel network to support it.
If we take Swansea's travel area as being Swansea, Neath Port Talbot, Llanelli and small areas of Carmarthenshire or South Powys you are talking a population of approx. 1/2 million. Cardiff's is approx. 3 times that. The unemployment rate is approx. 4% currently. We already have a number of large providers of jobs in the office/call centre businesses including Admiral, Pension Service, HSBC, Virgin Media, Virgin Atlantic, DVLA , BT and Land Registry so there simply is not likely to be enough suitable people available to take up the 3800 jobs in the new building in Cardiff. I was told this week there are approx. 180 staff left at HMRC in Ty Nant so in excess of 3500 extra staff would be needed.
The problems with HMRC relocating have nothing to do with WAG but a decision from the Tories in Westminster. 10 years or so ago HMRC employed 94000 FTE and it is now about 52000. There were over 400 offices and when the redevelopment is completed there will be 13 in major cities such as Cardiff, Bristol, Belfast, Birmingham, Merseyside, Manchester, Nottingham, Leeds, Edinburgh and Glasgow plus a couple of others. The decision to get rid of its office network is down to the Tories so please don't blame WAG.
I went to Cardiff this week... on 14:09 - Oct 28 with 3448 viewsPozuelosSideys

I went to Cardiff this week... on 23:00 - Oct 27 by Private_Partz

That is centralisation for you. Cardiff is to Wales as London is to the UK (and how France and Germany will be to the rest of the EU). The centre hoovers up all the jobs, investment, talent, funding, people etc etc while anything beyond that is left to rot.

Reminds me a bit of medieval times where anything outside the castle walls was peasantry and a no go.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

I went to Cardiff this week... on 14:37 - Oct 28 with 3410 viewsthenorthbankbog

And you’ll all vote for Labour at the next welsh assembly elections like the good sheep you are. That’s why nothing changes no matter what they do or say they always win due to the donkey voters, and to think Labour MP’s and AM’s have the audacity to tell people who voted for Brexit that they didn’t know what they were voting for. Voting for the present Labour Party is the same.
I went to Cardiff this week... on 18:51 - Oct 28 with 3231 viewsrockn

I went to Cardiff this week... on 14:37 - Oct 28 by thenorthbankbog

And you’ll all vote for Labour at the next welsh assembly elections like the good sheep you are. That’s why nothing changes no matter what they do or say they always win due to the donkey voters, and to think Labour MP’s and AM’s have the audacity to tell people who voted for Brexit that they didn’t know what they were voting for. Voting for the present Labour Party is the same.

Yep, absolutely. I'm bored of saying the same thing.

People moan but in the end they'll always prop up Carwyn. Every WAG election the anti tory propaganda comes out and all the failings of the WAG and its Cardiff bias are forgotten about.

To be honest it makes us look needy and thick. Pretty depressing. If you want change, you HAVE to vote for SOMEONE else. Liberal, monster raving looney, free Landore alliance whatever just vote SOMEONE else.
I went to Cardiff this week... on 19:02 - Oct 28 with 3206 viewsswanforthemoney

Its all right folks Rob Stewart's boys are digging up the Kingsway yet again. The theory is, if they do it enough times, they are bound to get it right. The addiiton of more long-phase traffic lights around the place has meant that people are cunningly retained around the city centre; you simply cant get away. All this will be combined with the regenerating effects of knocking down the old Oceanea for 4 milllion quid, and the muti-million pound paving works that are the Barcelona-style boulevard.
Look out Cardiff

I stand in the North Stand

I went to Cardiff this week... on 00:43 - Oct 29 with 3033 viewsYossarian

The few things we have left that make money and have some relevance outside Wales are the football club and the University. Generally, there is not much money sloshing around as it doesn’t offer much in the way of well paid jobs and careers. The council can build whatever they eant( and they’ll probably screw it up) but without the wealth in the city, it’s pointless. Generally speaking, we are fecked.

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024