Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
U23 are in the top league, we seriously need to take advantage 22:51 - Oct 28 with 1727 viewsLoyal

We have a reserve team playing at the top level in the premier league, and in the international cup and we should be pushing hard now to actually blood some of these players more regularly. its taken too long for McBurnnie to get a game and Rodon is a far better option than at least two of the first team.
It's time for him next week.
Surely.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

U23 are in the top league, we seriously need to take advantage on 23:31 - Oct 28 with 1687 viewsswanforthemoney

Unfortunately Ollie ain't covered himself in glory when he's had his limited opportunities.

I stand in the North Stand

U23 are in the top league, we seriously need to take advantage on 08:46 - Oct 29 with 1558 viewsKilkennyjack

Good post.

Ideally you bring young players into a confident team thats doing well.
But is there ever really a right time ?

Once we decided to plough millions into an Academy then that was the decision made. No point otherwise. We decided to produce our own players.

To date its produced nobody - penniless Exeter City produce better young players.

If rodon is next up then give him a go. Simple.

Beware of the Risen People

U23 are in the top league, we seriously need to take advantage on 09:32 - Oct 29 with 1512 viewswaynekerr55

Loyal matey top league it may be but the quality is pedestrian. Our best young players need mens football, look at Joe Allen after he went to Wrexham.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

U23 are in the top league, we seriously need to take advantage on 09:43 - Oct 29 with 1490 views34dfgdf54

Never watched the u23s so I can’t really comment on standard, but surely there must be something in Ollie, his goal record is outstanding. The problem we have is difficult to blood in when we are hovering around relegation zone, and it’s also not fair to judge on one off games in the cup etc.

I’ve heard good things about this Slovenian left back, anyone here seen him play?
U23 are in the top league, we seriously need to take advantage on 09:44 - Oct 29 with 1490 viewsmarchamjack

No manager in Clements position is going to risk his job on untried players from our u23s

They need to go out and prove themselves lower down. None have though really have they who've gone out.

I remember seeing Lampard for us years ago and you could see he was a different level to what we then had in our 1st team. Our youngsters haven't done that.

Ben's the exception to the rule I accept, but players like him are one in a generation really as we're currently finding out. Ollie has shown that the best of our current youngsters is way off the PL standard

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

U23 are in the top league, we seriously need to take advantage on 09:51 - Oct 29 with 1478 viewswhaleoilbeefhooked

I’ve watched 2 games, which obviously doesn’t make me an expert, but apart from Daniel James, and possibly Rodon, there is no one remotely knocking on the first team’s door. Bearing in mind, these games are like watching a training session. A lot of the top pros are now saying, that the academy system is flawed, and the games don’t represent the intensity of a “proper” game.
I’m not sure what the answer is.
If we go down, the academy gets part funded by parachute payments, but what happens when the cash runs out?
The Landore project then, turns into one hell of a burden/ white elephant.
It makes you wonder, where was thinking was to build it in the first place, when you have built a multimillion, multi pitch, state of the art training facility.
U23 are in the top league, we seriously need to take advantage on 09:57 - Oct 29 with 1460 viewsjack247

U23 are in the top league, we seriously need to take advantage on 09:43 - Oct 29 by 34dfgdf54

Never watched the u23s so I can’t really comment on standard, but surely there must be something in Ollie, his goal record is outstanding. The problem we have is difficult to blood in when we are hovering around relegation zone, and it’s also not fair to judge on one off games in the cup etc.

I’ve heard good things about this Slovenian left back, anyone here seen him play?

I watch them online now and again, but certainly not avidly.

What stands out about McBurnie, is he looks superb every time I see him play for the U23s and struggles every time he gets a run out for the first team. I get that they play more of a Martinez style and he hasn’t had a sustained run, but it just points to a huge jump in quality and intensity.

I think the loan to Barnsley would have been great for him, even if it did leave us light on cover. Also think Celtic were linked with Joe Rodon on loan? That’s got to be the way forward if we want to see them make a real first team impact.
U23 are in the top league, we seriously need to take advantage on 10:01 - Oct 29 with 1449 viewsDewi1jack

U23 are in the top league, we seriously need to take advantage on 09:51 - Oct 29 by whaleoilbeefhooked

I’ve watched 2 games, which obviously doesn’t make me an expert, but apart from Daniel James, and possibly Rodon, there is no one remotely knocking on the first team’s door. Bearing in mind, these games are like watching a training session. A lot of the top pros are now saying, that the academy system is flawed, and the games don’t represent the intensity of a “proper” game.
If we go down, the academy gets part funded by parachute payments, but what happens when the cash runs out?
It makes you wonder, where was thinking was to build it in the first place, when you have built a multimillion, multi pitch, state of the art training facility.

Think it's been asked before and answered, but couldn't our U23/ reserve teams play in a league a couple below the Conference? Lot of Spanish teams have their reserves play in the lower leagues/ semi amateur levels.
I guess we can't put a team in the Welsh league, due to the Cross border rulings of FIFA or just the Cardiff FA being funny gits.

Or maybe organise a loan system with a Conference South/ Non league or even a foreign club with a reserve team in a league (just in case the player doesn't adapt-Kenji/.Den Haag)
Used to send a few players Yeovils way.
Don't see why we can't sort out a long term partnership so our lads are getting fully competitive football

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Login to get fewer ads

U23 are in the top league, we seriously need to take advantage on 10:08 - Oct 29 with 1441 viewsKilkennyjack

U23 are in the top league, we seriously need to take advantage on 09:32 - Oct 29 by waynekerr55

Loyal matey top league it may be but the quality is pedestrian. Our best young players need mens football, look at Joe Allen after he went to Wrexham.

I am a big Joe Allen fan so i get the general point, but in truth he only played 2 games for Wrexham ....

U23 are in the top league, we seriously need to take advantage on 10:10 - Oct 29 with 1435 viewsA_Fans_Dad

U23 are in the top league, we seriously need to take advantage on 09:57 - Oct 29 by jack247

What stands out about McBurnie, is he looks superb every time I see him play for the U23s and struggles every time he gets a run out for the first team. I get that they play more of a Martinez style and he hasn’t had a sustained run, but it just points to a huge jump in quality and intensity.

I think the loan to Barnsley would have been great for him, even if it did leave us light on cover. Also think Celtic were linked with Joe Rodon on loan? That’s got to be the way forward if we want to see them make a real first team impact.

The problem is the FA decided to go down the Academy only route.
They should have continued with "Reserve Team" football where returning injured and aspiring youth team players would get to play against men of almost the same quality as the first team.
As it is some clubs have found the odd diamond that is good enough to play in their first team, but even they struggle to get game time because of all the Multi Million pound superstars they have at the clubs.
Hence the decision to have Youth involvement in competitions like the checkatrade one to try and get the kids more game time against adults.
Academy teams are not reserve teams.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2017 10:10]
U23 are in the top league, we seriously need to take advantage on 10:49 - Oct 29 with 1398 viewsjack247

U23 are in the top league, we seriously need to take advantage on 10:10 - Oct 29 by A_Fans_Dad

The problem is the FA decided to go down the Academy only route.
They should have continued with "Reserve Team" football where returning injured and aspiring youth team players would get to play against men of almost the same quality as the first team.
As it is some clubs have found the odd diamond that is good enough to play in their first team, but even they struggle to get game time because of all the Multi Million pound superstars they have at the clubs.
Hence the decision to have Youth involvement in competitions like the checkatrade one to try and get the kids more game time against adults.
Academy teams are not reserve teams.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2017 10:10]

Can’t disagree with any of that.

It’s the reason that however promising these players look, we really should be loaning them out before throwing them in at the deep end.

Ok, a cup game here and there or the occasional spot on the bench, but it’s unfair to expect them to step up and play in the PL
U23 are in the top league, we seriously need to take advantage on 16:11 - Oct 29 with 1301 viewsGowerjack

U23 are in the top league, we seriously need to take advantage on 09:51 - Oct 29 by whaleoilbeefhooked

Money to be made.

Simple as.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

U23 are in the top league, we seriously need to take advantage on 16:15 - Oct 29 with 1295 viewsKilkennyjack

U23 are in the top league, we seriously need to take advantage on 16:11 - Oct 29 by Gowerjack

Money to be made.

Simple as.

Spot on by the looks of it. Sad.

U23 are in the top league, we seriously need to take advantage on 17:55 - Oct 29 with 1231 viewsjasper_T

U23 are in the top league, we seriously need to take advantage on 09:44 - Oct 29 by marchamjack

No manager in Clements position is going to risk his job on untried players from our u23s

They need to go out and prove themselves lower down. None have though really have they who've gone out.

I remember seeing Lampard for us years ago and you could see he was a different level to what we then had in our 1st team. Our youngsters haven't done that.

Ben's the exception to the rule I accept, but players like him are one in a generation really as we're currently finding out. Ollie has shown that the best of our current youngsters is way off the PL standard

Josh Sheehan looked really good at Newport before his injury. Connor Roberts swept the awards at Yeovil (as Liam Shephard had before him).

Young players need chances, but it's a special occasion to even see one filling up the bench at this club, God forbid they see a few minutes on the pitch.
U23 are in the top league, we seriously need to take advantage on 18:15 - Oct 29 with 1209 viewsjacksfullaces

something more formal agreed with newport county would be a good shout.
U23 are in the top league, we seriously need to take advantage on 20:39 - Oct 29 with 1154 viewsKilkennyjack

U23 are in the top league, we seriously need to take advantage on 18:15 - Oct 29 by jacksfullaces

something more formal agreed with newport county would be a good shout.

Wrexham ?

Might work both ways ?
Tough league.

U23 are in the top league, we seriously need to take advantage on 22:26 - Oct 29 with 1105 viewsnantywatcher

U23 are in the top league, we seriously need to take advantage on 09:57 - Oct 29 by jack247

I have a great deal of confidence in Ollie, but he needs to start and have a decent run (4/5 games) to really gauge his ability at Premier level. Personally I would consider starting him in preference to Wilf.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024