Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Remoaner,losers . 23:28 - Nov 10 with 2339162 viewspikeypaul

OUT WITH A DEAL EATING OUR CAKE AND LOVING IT suck it up remoaners

And like a typical anti democracy remoaner he decided the will of the people should be ignored the minute the democratic result was in total fecking hypocrite 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Despite it being voted in to law by the commons the spineless two faced remoaner MPs have totally abandoned any morals and decided to ignore the will of the British people.

It will be remembered and no election or referendum will ever be the same again in this country.

The one thing that will come is a massive surge in the popularity of UKIP or a similar party in the future who stand for the 52%.

Happy Days.

[Post edited 1 Jan 2021 14:13]

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 19:35 - Oct 7 with 2056 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 14:31 - Oct 7 by DdraigGoch

Cadbury moved factory to Poland 2011 with EU grant.
Ford Transit moved to Turkey 2013 with EU grant.
Jaguar Land Rover has recently agreed to build a new plant in Slovakia with EU grant, owned by Tata, the same company who have trashed our steel works and emptied the workers pension funds.
Peugeot closed its Ryton (was Rootes Group) plant and moved production to Slovakia with EU grant.
British Army's new Ajax fighting vehicles to be built in SPAIN using SWEDISH steel at the request of the EU to support jobs in Spain with EU grant, rather than Wales.
Dyson gone to Malaysia, with an EU loan.
Crown Closures, Bournemouth (Was METAL BOX), gone to Poland with EU grant, once employed 1,200.
M&S manufacturing gone to far east with EU loan.
Hornby models gone. In fact all toys and models now gone from UK along with the patents all with with EU grants.
Gillette gone to eastern Europe with EU grant.
Texas Instruments Greenock gone to Germany with EU grant.
Indesit at Bodelwyddan Wales gone with EU grant.
Sekisui Alveo said production at its Merthyr Tydfil Industrial Park foam plant will relocate production to Roermond in the Netherlands, with EU funding.
Hoover Merthyr factory moved out of UK to Czech Republic and the Far East by Italian company Candy with EU backing.
ICI integration into Holland’s AkzoNobel with EU bank loan and within days of the merger, several factories in the UK, were closed, eliminating 3,500 jobs
Boots sold to Italians Stefano Pessina who have based their HQ in Switzerland to avoid tax to the tune of £80 million a year, using an EU loan for the purchase.
JDS Uniphase run by two Dutch men, bought up companies in the UK with £20 million in EU 'regeneration' grants, created a pollution nightmare and just closed it all down leaving 1,200 out of work and an environmental clean-up paid for by the UK tax-payer. They also raided the pension fund and drained it dry.
UK airports are owned by a Spanish company.
Scottish Power is owned by a Spanish company.
Most London buses are run by Spanish and German companies.
The Hinkley Point C nuclear power station to be built by French company EDF, part owned by the French government, using cheap Chinese steel that has catastrophically failed in other nuclear installations. Now EDF say the costs will be double or more and it will be very late even if it does come online.
Swindon was once our producer of rail locomotives and rolling stock. Not any more, it's Bombardier in Derby and due to their losses in the aviation market, that could see the end of the British railways manufacturing altogether even though Bombardier had EU grants to keep Derby going which they diverted to their loss-making aviation side in Canada.
39% of British invention patents have been passed to foreign companies, many of them in the EU
The Mini cars that Cameron stood in front of as an example of British engineering, are built by BMW mostly in Holland and Austria. His campaign bus was made in Germany even though we have Plaxton, Optare, Bluebird, Dennis etc., in the UK. The bicycle for the Greens was made in the far east, not by Raleigh UK but then they are probably going to move to the Netherlands too as they have said recently.

Anyone who thinks the EU is good for British industry or any other business simply hasn't paid attention to what has been systematically asset-stripped from the UK. Name me one major technology company still running in the UK, I used to contract out to many, then the work just dried up as they were sold off to companies from France, Germany, Holland, Belgium, etc., and now we don't even teach electronic technology for technicians any more, due to EU regulations.

I haven't detailed our non-existent fishing industry the EU paid to destroy, nor the farmers being paid NOT to produce food they could sell for more than they get paid to do nothing, don't even go there.
I haven't mentioned what it costs us to be asset-stripped like this, nor have I mentioned immigration, nor the risk to our security if control of our armed forces is passed to Brussels or Germany.

Find something that's gone the other way, I've looked and I just can't. If you think the EU is a good idea,
1/ You haven't read the party manifesto of The European Peoples' Party.
2/ You haven't had to deal with EU petty bureaucracy tearing your business down.
3/ You don't think it matters.

OUT OF EUROPE we need to be out of it

DdaigGoch, it wasn't just the Transit that was shifted to Europe.
Once Ford amalgamated Ford of Britain with Ford of Germeny to bail out their very poor sales performance the shift to Europe started because they put the Germans in charge of Ford of Europe in 1967.
The first production line to go was the Granada from Dagenham to Genk.
Then the Fiesta was phased out of Dagenham in favour of the Valencia Plant.
Then the Dagenham Sierra line was closed in favour of Genk.
Of course Ireland was also affected with plant closures and now even Genk has gone, also in favour of Valencia.
Once Bridgend closes the only production presence in the UK will be the Dagenham Engine Plant and as they make mostly Diesels their days are numbered too.
Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 20:42 - Oct 7 with 2008 viewsmajorraglan

Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 19:35 - Oct 7 by A_Fans_Dad

DdaigGoch, it wasn't just the Transit that was shifted to Europe.
Once Ford amalgamated Ford of Britain with Ford of Germeny to bail out their very poor sales performance the shift to Europe started because they put the Germans in charge of Ford of Europe in 1967.
The first production line to go was the Granada from Dagenham to Genk.
Then the Fiesta was phased out of Dagenham in favour of the Valencia Plant.
Then the Dagenham Sierra line was closed in favour of Genk.
Of course Ireland was also affected with plant closures and now even Genk has gone, also in favour of Valencia.
Once Bridgend closes the only production presence in the UK will be the Dagenham Engine Plant and as they make mostly Diesels their days are numbered too.

The German and French governments have much tougher legislation around making e,players redundant which is probably one of the reasons we lost out, it’s cheaper to hire and fire here than it is in Europe.
Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 21:05 - Oct 7 with 1983 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 20:42 - Oct 7 by majorraglan

The German and French governments have much tougher legislation around making e,players redundant which is probably one of the reasons we lost out, it’s cheaper to hire and fire here than it is in Europe.

True, but back then there was no need for any redundancies, they deliberately built new production lines to accomodate the change, usually when a new model was introduced.
The UK was and probably still is Ford's biggest market, the Euro plants wanted a bigger share of it and got it.
All water under the bridge now, but hurt at the time.
Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 21:08 - Oct 7 with 1975 viewsWarwickHunt

Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 14:31 - Oct 7 by DdraigGoch

Jaguar Land Rover has recently agreed to build a new plant in Slovakia with EU grant, owned by Tata, the same company who have trashed our steel works and emptied the workers pension funds.
Peugeot closed its Ryton (was Rootes Group) plant and moved production to Slovakia with EU grant.
British Army's new Ajax fighting vehicles to be built in SPAIN using SWEDISH steel at the request of the EU to support jobs in Spain with EU grant, rather than Wales.
Crown Closures, Bournemouth (Was METAL BOX), gone to Poland with EU grant, once employed 1,200.
Hornby models gone. In fact all toys and models now gone from UK along with the patents all with with EU grants.
Gillette gone to eastern Europe with EU grant.
Sekisui Alveo said production at its Merthyr Tydfil Industrial Park foam plant will relocate production to Roermond in the Netherlands, with EU funding.
Hoover Merthyr factory moved out of UK to Czech Republic and the Far East by Italian company Candy with EU backing.
ICI integration into Holland’s AkzoNobel with EU bank loan and within days of the merger, several factories in the UK, were closed, eliminating 3,500 jobs
Boots sold to Italians Stefano Pessina who have based their HQ in Switzerland to avoid tax to the tune of £80 million a year, using an EU loan for the purchase.
JDS Uniphase run by two Dutch men, bought up companies in the UK with £20 million in EU 'regeneration' grants, created a pollution nightmare and just closed it all down leaving 1,200 out of work and an environmental clean-up paid for by the UK tax-payer. They also raided the pension fund and drained it dry.
The Hinkley Point C nuclear power station to be built by French company EDF, part owned by the French government, using cheap Chinese steel that has catastrophically failed in other nuclear installations. Now EDF say the costs will be double or more and it will be very late even if it does come online.
Swindon was once our producer of rail locomotives and rolling stock. Not any more, it's Bombardier in Derby and due to their losses in the aviation market, that could see the end of the British railways manufacturing altogether even though Bombardier had EU grants to keep Derby going which they diverted to their loss-making aviation side in Canada.
39% of British invention patents have been passed to foreign companies, many of them in the EU
The Mini cars that Cameron stood in front of as an example of British engineering, are built by BMW mostly in Holland and Austria. His campaign bus was made in Germany even though we have Plaxton, Optare, Bluebird, Dennis etc., in the UK. The bicycle for the Greens was made in the far east, not by Raleigh UK but then they are probably going to move to the Netherlands too as they have said recently.

Anyone who thinks the EU is good for British industry or any other business simply hasn't paid attention to what has been systematically asset-stripped from the UK. Name me one major technology company still running in the UK, I used to contract out to many, then the work just dried up as they were sold off to companies from France, Germany, Holland, Belgium, etc., and now we don't even teach electronic technology for technicians any more, due to EU regulations.

I haven't detailed our non-existent fishing industry the EU paid to destroy, nor the farmers being paid NOT to produce food they could sell for more than they get paid to do nothing, don't even go there.
I haven't mentioned what it costs us to be asset-stripped like this, nor have I mentioned immigration, nor the risk to our security if control of our armed forces is passed to Brussels or Germany.

Find something that's gone the other way, I've looked and I just can't. If you think the EU is a good idea,
1/ You haven't read the party manifesto of The European Peoples' Party.
2/ You haven't had to deal with EU petty bureaucracy tearing your business down.
3/ You don't think it matters.

It seems cutting and pasting bullshit for simpletons is catching.
You colossal fûcking twàt.

Here’s a refutation (copied and pasted😱).

I never expected this post to be so popular, but clearly there is a need to continually refute cut-and-paste lists of nonsense. I’ve recently discovered that the list in question has made a reappearance, and I’m going to update this post if necessary. If you have some information that I could add to the list, or something nice to say, please put in the comments. However I will not approve any other comments, this is not a discussion forum.

A handy refutation to that cut-and-paste list that is doing the rounds. I’ve given sources where I can, but for some of these it’s just such a blatant lie that there’s no source possible. If you can provide any more information than I have here, please comment!

Cadbury was bought by Kraft, which is American. Kraft shafted Cadbury. The EU had nothing to do with it.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/cadbury-closes-british-factory-to-move-1017

Yes, Jaguar Land Rover built a new factory in Slovakia. No it was not with an EU grant. And Tata is Indian so what’s that got to do with it?
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/dec/11/jaguar-land-rover-factory-slova

Update 20/01/2019: There was no EU funding, but there was a grant by the Slovakian government. This document (thank you to a post on our Facebook page bringing it to our attention) is a summary of why the EU found the grant did not break EU rules on state aid. Basically, it was a new factory, it was never going to be built in the UK, no jobs left the UK as a result.
http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-18-6023_en.htm

Peugeot did move production to Slovakia, but again without an EU grant. There was an investigation as to whether Slovakia improperly gave EU money to Peugeot, but nothing seems to have come of it.
http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/news/local-news/subsidise-peugeot-jobs-axe-39832

This is the only one that seems to have some truth in it. Ford did get a loan (not a grant) from the EU for their Turkish plant (which was already building most of the Transits), and after that their Southampton plant closed. The EU had already loaned money to Ford UK but that doesn’t appear to have saved it.
http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/10026411.Focus_on_Ford__The___80m_EU_loan_for_Fo

British Army’s new Ajax fighting vehicles to be built in SPAIN using SWEDISH steel at the request of the EU to support jobs in Spain with EU grant, rather than Wales.
Yes, the Ajax will be built in SPAIN using SWEDISH steel (the capitals betray the direct copying from the Mirror headline) but not at the request of the EU. Blame our own government for that one, they commissioned it.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/british-armys-new-fighting-vehicles-7928358

All these factories did indeed move overseas. But not with EU money. Sticking “with EU grant” on the end of a sentence doesn’t make it a fact.

What does this even mean? Hornby is still a UK company, and in fact has bought many European companies. Like many companies it moved some manufacturing to China, but that’s nothing to do with the EU. I’m not sure what the mention of patents is about. Hornby is a UK company that still owns its own intellectual property.

Yes ICI was bought by AkzoNobel, but not with EU money. I can find no evidence that factories were closed at the time. Since then, AkzoNobel has closed a couple of plants because it has built a new one in Gateshead.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/56d5da5c-a7ea-11e0-afc2-00144feabdc0.html

Stefano Pessina isn’t a company, he’s a person. He bought out his own company, Alliance Boots, in 2007, and is now in charge of Walgreen Boots Alliance, formed in 2012. Boots was not bought with EU money. And although they are headquartered in Switzerland to avoid tax, their UK operations are firmly based here and they are a major UK employer.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2007/jun/21/privateequity

JDS Uniphase run by two Dutch men, bought up companies in the UK with £20 million in EU ‘regeneration’ grants, created a pollution nightmare and just closed it all down leaving 1,200 out of work and an environmental clean-up paid for by the UK tax-payer. They also raided the pension fund and drained it dry.
I can’t even find out where this story originated. If you know, please enlighten me! JDSU was an American company; I have no idea where this Dutch element crept in. If they’d left us with a pollution nightmare and raided the pensions I would have thought it would be at least mentioned on their Wikipedia page, under “Controversies” or something….
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JDSU

A good number of buses are run by UK companies, about the same by EU companies, plus some in Singapore and Australia. (Thanks to The Bus Driver in the comments.) But the EU didn’t subsidise this. It’s irrelevant. Foreign ownership happens without EU subsidies.
http://www.londonbusroutes.net/garages.htm

Yes, most of this is true or mostly true, I’m starting to lose the will to check. But what does any of that have to do with the EU? They didn’t make our companies sell to the Spanish and French and Germans, these things just happen. It’s called capitalism, and UK companies buy out European companies and close down their factories too. And it’s our government who handed Hinckley Point over to the French and Chinese.

Swindon was once our producer of rail locomotives and rolling stock. Not any more, it’s Bombardier in Derby and due to their losses in the aviation market, that could see the end of the British railways manufacturing altogether even though Bombardier had EU grants to keep Derby going which they diverted to their loss-making aviation side in Canada.
Yes… except the EU grants bit. Just can’t find any evidence of that.

I’m a UK and European patent attorney. Trust me, this statement doesn’t even make sense. Passed by whom, passed how?
**EDIT** I think I worked this one out. Although I can’t make the numbers fit with any recent statistics, it must mean “granted”. Some number of UK patents have been granted to foreign companies. Well yes, of course, that’s how the patent system works. Ideally, you get a patent wherever you are going to sell your product. You don’t have to be a native of that country to get it. UK companies get patents in foreign countries too, that’s how it works.

Anyone who thinks the EU is good for British industry or any other business simply hasn’t paid attention to what has been systematically asset-stripped from the UK. Name me one major technology company still running in the UK, I used to contract out to many, then the work just dried up as they were sold off to companies from France, Germany, Holland, Belgium, etc.,
There’s plenty of UK technology companies. In my job I see them come and go and come and go… it’s just the way things are. Maybe they aren’t the old fashioned build-things-in-a-factory companies, but they’re still technology companies. I work with a lot of software companies, for example, that are innovating and creating UK jobs.

and now we don’t even teach electronic technology for technicians any more, due to EU regulations.
I give up. Now you’re just making shit up.

December 2018 update

The list has got longer! But it’s just standard Leaver ranting and it’s beyond the scope of this post to go into it.

I haven’t detailed our non-existent fishing industry the EU paid to destroy, nor the farmers being paid NOT to produce food they could sell for more than they get paid to do nothing, don’t even go there.
I haven’t mentioned what it costs us to be asset-stripped like this, nor have I mentioned immigration, nor the risk to our security if control of our armed forces is passed to Brussels or Germany.
Find something that’s gone the other way, I’ve looked and I just can’t. If you think the EU is a good idea,
1/ You haven’t read the party manifesto of The European Peoples’ Party.
2/ You haven’t had to deal with EU petty bureaucracy tearing your business down.
3/ You don’t think it matters.
This website was started to share positive stories about the EU. I’ve broken the rules a little with this one… but I just couldn’t let it lie!
Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 21:15 - Oct 7 with 1968 viewsUxbridge

Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 20:54 - Oct 6 by ExiledJack

Wages are too low from a cost of living perspective, but not from a business perspective. Unpleasant as it sounds, people are an abundant commodity and the barriers for substitution have been eroded by globalism. With advances in automation on the horizon this will only get worse.

I have no issue with productive members of society earning greater sums and believe it to be good for the wider economy as well as for social mobility. However, unproductive behaviour being rewarded is a serious problem, there’s simply been too much of it and it lowers living standards for everyone else. Stock market and real estate returns since the financial crisis are one scandalous example of this, largely brought about by unprecedented accommodative monetary policy. Those unearned rewards have not been shared equally.

Automation is something nobody really talks about, in a socioeconomic sense particularly, yet it's going to be seismic. In many industries, even ones such as accountancy, I've seen firsthand the impacts already. If we look around at the jobs out there, the percentage that could be automated, particularly with the anticipated technological growth within the next generation, is massive. A Modern day industrial revolution. You do wonder how well positioned we will be to adjust to that.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 21:20 - Oct 7 with 1957 viewsHighjack

Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 21:15 - Oct 7 by Uxbridge

Automation is something nobody really talks about, in a socioeconomic sense particularly, yet it's going to be seismic. In many industries, even ones such as accountancy, I've seen firsthand the impacts already. If we look around at the jobs out there, the percentage that could be automated, particularly with the anticipated technological growth within the next generation, is massive. A Modern day industrial revolution. You do wonder how well positioned we will be to adjust to that.

We’re still gonna need an army of highly trained and qualified operatives to turn the machines off and on again when they inevitably break down.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 21:21 - Oct 7 with 1956 viewsmajorraglan

Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 21:05 - Oct 7 by A_Fans_Dad

True, but back then there was no need for any redundancies, they deliberately built new production lines to accomodate the change, usually when a new model was introduced.
The UK was and probably still is Ford's biggest market, the Euro plants wanted a bigger share of it and got it.
All water under the bridge now, but hurt at the time.

My old man worked at the Swansea plant until he retired; he’s still a Ford man and has only ever bought Fords. I used to be the same but as they have shifted production for most of their models overseas I no longer have that “brand” loyalty.
Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 21:24 - Oct 7 with 1951 viewsUxbridge

Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 21:20 - Oct 7 by Highjack

We’re still gonna need an army of highly trained and qualified operatives to turn the machines off and on again when they inevitably break down.

I suspect we're not too far away from machines being able to repair other ones when needed. If it's based entirely on technology, actual human involvement could be happily eliminated from large swathes of the economy pretty soon. That's probably not a desirable outcome in other ways and that'll be the balance for Govts to find. This will be a massive debate within a decade IMO. Who knows, Brexit may be settled by then.

Login to get fewer ads

Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 21:51 - Oct 7 with 1918 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 21:21 - Oct 7 by majorraglan

My old man worked at the Swansea plant until he retired; he’s still a Ford man and has only ever bought Fords. I used to be the same but as they have shifted production for most of their models overseas I no longer have that “brand” loyalty.

I stopped buying Fords when they shafted the Visteon workers over their Pension fund prior to shutting all the Visteon Plants.
Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 22:06 - Oct 7 with 1899 viewsHighjack

Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 21:51 - Oct 7 by A_Fans_Dad

I stopped buying Fords when they shafted the Visteon workers over their Pension fund prior to shutting all the Visteon Plants.

Ford let himself down when he put his lips around a certain fuhrers shiny helmet.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 22:17 - Oct 7 with 1885 viewsKilkennyjack

Lets have a peoples vote then Johnson.
Tory English nationalists .... lets be fecking having you ...,
[Post edited 7 Oct 2019 22:23]

Beware of the Risen People

Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 22:20 - Oct 7 with 1881 viewsKilkennyjack

Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 21:08 - Oct 7 by WarwickHunt

It seems cutting and pasting bullshit for simpletons is catching.
You colossal fûcking twàt.

Here’s a refutation (copied and pasted😱).

I never expected this post to be so popular, but clearly there is a need to continually refute cut-and-paste lists of nonsense. I’ve recently discovered that the list in question has made a reappearance, and I’m going to update this post if necessary. If you have some information that I could add to the list, or something nice to say, please put in the comments. However I will not approve any other comments, this is not a discussion forum.

A handy refutation to that cut-and-paste list that is doing the rounds. I’ve given sources where I can, but for some of these it’s just such a blatant lie that there’s no source possible. If you can provide any more information than I have here, please comment!

Cadbury was bought by Kraft, which is American. Kraft shafted Cadbury. The EU had nothing to do with it.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/cadbury-closes-british-factory-to-move-1017

Yes, Jaguar Land Rover built a new factory in Slovakia. No it was not with an EU grant. And Tata is Indian so what’s that got to do with it?
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/dec/11/jaguar-land-rover-factory-slova

Update 20/01/2019: There was no EU funding, but there was a grant by the Slovakian government. This document (thank you to a post on our Facebook page bringing it to our attention) is a summary of why the EU found the grant did not break EU rules on state aid. Basically, it was a new factory, it was never going to be built in the UK, no jobs left the UK as a result.
http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-18-6023_en.htm

Peugeot did move production to Slovakia, but again without an EU grant. There was an investigation as to whether Slovakia improperly gave EU money to Peugeot, but nothing seems to have come of it.
http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/news/local-news/subsidise-peugeot-jobs-axe-39832

This is the only one that seems to have some truth in it. Ford did get a loan (not a grant) from the EU for their Turkish plant (which was already building most of the Transits), and after that their Southampton plant closed. The EU had already loaned money to Ford UK but that doesn’t appear to have saved it.
http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/10026411.Focus_on_Ford__The___80m_EU_loan_for_Fo

British Army’s new Ajax fighting vehicles to be built in SPAIN using SWEDISH steel at the request of the EU to support jobs in Spain with EU grant, rather than Wales.
Yes, the Ajax will be built in SPAIN using SWEDISH steel (the capitals betray the direct copying from the Mirror headline) but not at the request of the EU. Blame our own government for that one, they commissioned it.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/british-armys-new-fighting-vehicles-7928358

All these factories did indeed move overseas. But not with EU money. Sticking “with EU grant” on the end of a sentence doesn’t make it a fact.

What does this even mean? Hornby is still a UK company, and in fact has bought many European companies. Like many companies it moved some manufacturing to China, but that’s nothing to do with the EU. I’m not sure what the mention of patents is about. Hornby is a UK company that still owns its own intellectual property.

Yes ICI was bought by AkzoNobel, but not with EU money. I can find no evidence that factories were closed at the time. Since then, AkzoNobel has closed a couple of plants because it has built a new one in Gateshead.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/56d5da5c-a7ea-11e0-afc2-00144feabdc0.html

Stefano Pessina isn’t a company, he’s a person. He bought out his own company, Alliance Boots, in 2007, and is now in charge of Walgreen Boots Alliance, formed in 2012. Boots was not bought with EU money. And although they are headquartered in Switzerland to avoid tax, their UK operations are firmly based here and they are a major UK employer.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2007/jun/21/privateequity

JDS Uniphase run by two Dutch men, bought up companies in the UK with £20 million in EU ‘regeneration’ grants, created a pollution nightmare and just closed it all down leaving 1,200 out of work and an environmental clean-up paid for by the UK tax-payer. They also raided the pension fund and drained it dry.
I can’t even find out where this story originated. If you know, please enlighten me! JDSU was an American company; I have no idea where this Dutch element crept in. If they’d left us with a pollution nightmare and raided the pensions I would have thought it would be at least mentioned on their Wikipedia page, under “Controversies” or something….
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JDSU

A good number of buses are run by UK companies, about the same by EU companies, plus some in Singapore and Australia. (Thanks to The Bus Driver in the comments.) But the EU didn’t subsidise this. It’s irrelevant. Foreign ownership happens without EU subsidies.
http://www.londonbusroutes.net/garages.htm

Yes, most of this is true or mostly true, I’m starting to lose the will to check. But what does any of that have to do with the EU? They didn’t make our companies sell to the Spanish and French and Germans, these things just happen. It’s called capitalism, and UK companies buy out European companies and close down their factories too. And it’s our government who handed Hinckley Point over to the French and Chinese.

Swindon was once our producer of rail locomotives and rolling stock. Not any more, it’s Bombardier in Derby and due to their losses in the aviation market, that could see the end of the British railways manufacturing altogether even though Bombardier had EU grants to keep Derby going which they diverted to their loss-making aviation side in Canada.
Yes… except the EU grants bit. Just can’t find any evidence of that.

I’m a UK and European patent attorney. Trust me, this statement doesn’t even make sense. Passed by whom, passed how?
**EDIT** I think I worked this one out. Although I can’t make the numbers fit with any recent statistics, it must mean “granted”. Some number of UK patents have been granted to foreign companies. Well yes, of course, that’s how the patent system works. Ideally, you get a patent wherever you are going to sell your product. You don’t have to be a native of that country to get it. UK companies get patents in foreign countries too, that’s how it works.

Anyone who thinks the EU is good for British industry or any other business simply hasn’t paid attention to what has been systematically asset-stripped from the UK. Name me one major technology company still running in the UK, I used to contract out to many, then the work just dried up as they were sold off to companies from France, Germany, Holland, Belgium, etc.,
There’s plenty of UK technology companies. In my job I see them come and go and come and go… it’s just the way things are. Maybe they aren’t the old fashioned build-things-in-a-factory companies, but they’re still technology companies. I work with a lot of software companies, for example, that are innovating and creating UK jobs.

and now we don’t even teach electronic technology for technicians any more, due to EU regulations.
I give up. Now you’re just making shit up.

December 2018 update

The list has got longer! But it’s just standard Leaver ranting and it’s beyond the scope of this post to go into it.

I haven’t detailed our non-existent fishing industry the EU paid to destroy, nor the farmers being paid NOT to produce food they could sell for more than they get paid to do nothing, don’t even go there.
I haven’t mentioned what it costs us to be asset-stripped like this, nor have I mentioned immigration, nor the risk to our security if control of our armed forces is passed to Brussels or Germany.
Find something that’s gone the other way, I’ve looked and I just can’t. If you think the EU is a good idea,
1/ You haven’t read the party manifesto of The European Peoples’ Party.
2/ You haven’t had to deal with EU petty bureaucracy tearing your business down.
3/ You don’t think it matters.
This website was started to share positive stories about the EU. I’ve broken the rules a little with this one… but I just couldn’t let it lie!

Second sentence ..... say what you mean ...😂😂

Beware of the Risen People

Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 22:58 - Oct 7 with 1850 viewsLeonWasGod

Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 19:10 - Oct 7 by A_Fans_Dad

Ever noticed how when anyone posts anything anti EU it must be rubbish because (fill in something here).
The UK has been asset stripped with the full involvement of our useless governments over the last 3 decades.
And the EU supports sod all, it is UK TAX PAYERS CASH.

It’s is rubbish if it’s made up nonsense though. Loads of asset stripping going on, but to blame it at the door of the EU rather than the companies who make these decisions purely for profit, or at the UK government who’ve been selling off our former nationalised industries/services in chunks to the highest bidder is missing the point by a mile. I’m surprised the EU haven’t been blamed for our sale to the Yanks.
Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 10:50 - Oct 8 with 1727 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 11:44 - Oct 8 with 1697 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 10:50 - Oct 8 by oh_tommy_tommy

Said the anti-brexit IFS and Citi.
As you would expect.
Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 11:46 - Oct 8 with 1695 viewsUxbridge

I think we've had quite enough of experts thank you.

Let's just believe.

Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 12:04 - Oct 8 with 1674 viewslondonlisa2001

Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 21:24 - Oct 7 by Uxbridge

I suspect we're not too far away from machines being able to repair other ones when needed. If it's based entirely on technology, actual human involvement could be happily eliminated from large swathes of the economy pretty soon. That's probably not a desirable outcome in other ways and that'll be the balance for Govts to find. This will be a massive debate within a decade IMO. Who knows, Brexit may be settled by then.

Automation is, as you rightly point out, the big unknown.

It will require a shift in expectations.

Effectively, companies like Amazon, who could fully automate, will have to be persuaded that the flip side of them fully automating, will be to pay enough tax to provide the people that would have been employed by them, with a ‘national wage’ of some sort. People will need to be paid to not work. And will need to be kept busy or distracted in some way. I can’t help but think the Internet, social media etc is part of that. Keep people stupid and occupied with utter nonsense all day every day, and pay them to do it.
Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 12:09 - Oct 8 with 1667 viewsLohengrin

Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 12:04 - Oct 8 by londonlisa2001

Effectively, companies like Amazon, who could fully automate, will have to be persuaded that the flip side of them fully automating, will be to pay enough tax to provide the people that would have been employed by them, with a ‘national wage’ of some sort. People will need to be paid to not work. And will need to be kept busy or distracted in some way. I can’t help but think the Internet, social media etc is part of that. Keep people stupid and occupied with utter nonsense all day every day, and pay them to do it.

Fully automated luxury communism.

It’s all the rage in Islington.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 12:15 - Oct 8 with 1648 viewsWingstandwood

Straight off the information conveyor belt and from someone considered informative-reliable.

Argus!

Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 12:18 - Oct 8 with 1645 viewslondonlisa2001

Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 12:09 - Oct 8 by Lohengrin

Fully automated luxury communism.

It’s all the rage in Islington.

It’s one of the rare occasions when McDonnell etc are correct.

If machines can do everything more efficiently than us, we have to find a way of supporting those that then have nothing to do unless we deliberately decide to do things more inefficiently than is possible.

I remember sitting in India 9 or 10 years ago, watching a man pick up a few bricks at a time and carry them 100 yards to another man who was building a small wall. I asked our Indian guide why they don’t use wheelbarrows. His answer - we have to find something for people to do - there are over a billion of us.

Much the same thing.
Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 12:25 - Oct 8 with 1639 viewsGwyn737

The term ‘no deal’ needs to be removed from discourse.

There has to be a deal (as we have to trade with Europe), it’s just a question of how and when.

I genuinely can’t fathom how this narrative of just walking away has been able to stay in people’s minds. It’s deal now in an orderly way or deal later in a chaotic way.
Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 12:48 - Oct 8 with 1602 viewsLeonWasGod

Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 12:25 - Oct 8 by Gwyn737

The term ‘no deal’ needs to be removed from discourse.

There has to be a deal (as we have to trade with Europe), it’s just a question of how and when.

I genuinely can’t fathom how this narrative of just walking away has been able to stay in people’s minds. It’s deal now in an orderly way or deal later in a chaotic way.

Quite. Same with "clean break", "WTO deal", etc. But these terms are used and reinforced for a reason. 'Crashing out leading to a initial period of chaos and then a long phase of negotiations before eventual re-alignment in order to trade as frictionlessly as possible, whatever that ends up looking like' wouldn't win as many converts!
Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 12:53 - Oct 8 with 1595 viewsGwyn737

Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 12:48 - Oct 8 by LeonWasGod

Quite. Same with "clean break", "WTO deal", etc. But these terms are used and reinforced for a reason. 'Crashing out leading to a initial period of chaos and then a long phase of negotiations before eventual re-alignment in order to trade as frictionlessly as possible, whatever that ends up looking like' wouldn't win as many converts!

You’re right - that’s not catchy at all 🤣
Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 13:00 - Oct 8 with 1581 viewsLeonWasGod

Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 12:53 - Oct 8 by Gwyn737

You’re right - that’s not catchy at all 🤣

Doesn't even fit on a bus

Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 13:01 - Oct 8 with 1577 viewsUxbridge

Countdown to the end of Democracy in the UK on 12:04 - Oct 8 by londonlisa2001

And so we come back to Brexit It's done a fine job for the last three years.

Completely agree anyway, but the one thing I do wonder about is that notion of paying people not to work. It's what "should" happen in that scenario, but it's just so contrary to the political dialogue of at least the last 10-15 years where people are demonised for not working or not being rich enough to afford the basics, despite the sheer lack of work in many parts of the country or, where there is, people are forced to scramble by on several zero hours contracts. It'll be quite the mindset shift for our population and press for that to play out in a "good" way, rather than it be a race to the bottom.

On the plus side, we're a little way away from all that being a significant reality if my own company's experiences of robotics and automation are anything to go by. An unexpected (to leadership at least, blindingly obvious to those of us "onshore" who point it out frequently with little success) consequence of offshoring major chunks of the business to lower cost locations is that the levels of competence to actually automate various processes has been severely diminished by moving the majority of the workforce from UK or the like to India. Technically they're excellent, but there's a major gap in understanding how to apply the technology in a productive, or even functional, way. That will slow things down. One potential benefit of Brexit could well be to see us being the next low cost location!

There's a great book by Adam Roberts where he talks about large swathes of society permanently "plugged in" to virtual environments and only a very small fraction of the population actually work. I dare say, with the improvements in VR becoming more and more mainstream, the % of people moving to virtual realities to spend more of their time, will only increase. I doubt even the most deviant of minds could conceive of the reality Johnson and Cummings live in though...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024