Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
xxxx SIR WES HALLXXXX do not derail 12:49 - Nov 11 with 3291 viewswhoflungdung

I want to share a rather interesting article about this great man

When he came over to play for Accrington ,early 60s , it IS true the best LANCASHIRE league batsmen rebooked their holiday or simply went sick when they found they were playing ACCRINGTON.

He was offered £ 500 by Accrington chairman but got him to double it. This would be worth 21k today. On first walking to the ground ,a kid screaming "mam ,there s a black man in the street( to which Wes said, " yes son,Im Wes HALL and if you re lucky you can carry my bags to the ground.And he did

When asked about sledging he replied <"It all depends on how fast you bowl.No Australian ever sledged me They were quiet when I was bowling and they were when Charlie(Griffith) was. Makes you wonder how our contemporary batsmen would fare facing 100 mph deliveries on an uncovered pitch with no protection apart from a box. Badly, I d suggest

Hall was my first overseas sporting hero. I saw him and Griffith in my home town .Black skin,white teeth,gold chain- a terrifying sight .

Finally Charlie Griffith ,his partner . A centre- parted sheer Slaughterman in cricket boots

Thanks Sir WES

Poll: Is it Spa or spa

xxxx SIR WES HALLXXXX do not derail on 13:16 - Nov 11 with 3269 viewsexhmrc1

great bowler in the days when sportsmen were real people. there was a programme on recently about an older West Indian coming to Lancashire years ago. I think it was Constantine in Burnley.Wes Hall and Viv were part of the problem. I met Viv a number of times when he was in Glamorgan. One day bumped into him by High Street Station and he stopped and had a few words. Can someone m this to dung as he has me on ignore wrongly thinking I am part of some conspiracy against him on here.
xxxx SIR WES HALLXXXX do not derail on 13:21 - Nov 11 with 3261 viewsSwanjaxs

Wes Hall was a bit before my time, but for me the bowling attack of Roberts, Holding, Marshall and Garner will never be surpassed.... The Windies team of the late 70's/80's will for me go down as the greatest of all time

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

xxxx SIR WES HALLXXXX do not derail on 13:24 - Nov 11 with 3256 viewswhoflungdung

No ,Dung put you on ignore as you were getting out of hand. I had a "request" that you sent to a mod. Trust me, I wouldn't have done as you feared.

I d like to add that a kid was allowed on to the team bus to get autographs .IMAGINE THAT NOW.

I had all the first eleven of the Australian team that Glam beat in early sixties and Benaud patted me on the head whilst Graham McKenzie Playfully smacked my head (you could do that then) Brian Booth went to the same church we went to and he came along . Lovely guy as was Peter Burge.

Yep, at St Helens, Swansea

The sky is crying

xxxx SIR WES HALLXXXX do not derail on 13:48 - Nov 11 with 3230 viewsoldcob

I remember Glamorgan playing Yorkshire in Neath when I was about eighteen. I went down to the Castle hotel for a pint in the night, and whilst sitting in an almost empty lounge, Freddie Truman came in and sat along side and we shared a pint. He was really down to earth and then some. When I got home that night my mother asked why my suit (thats what we wore out in those days) was stinking of St.Bruno. He loved his pipe did Fred.
xxxx SIR WES HALLXXXX do not derail on 14:02 - Nov 11 with 3210 viewsWarwickHunt

xxxx SIR WES HALLXXXX do not derail on 13:21 - Nov 11 by Swanjaxs

Wes Hall was a bit before my time, but for me the bowling attack of Roberts, Holding, Marshall and Garner will never be surpassed.... The Windies team of the late 70's/80's will for me go down as the greatest of all time

The DVD is dirt cheap on Amazon - get it bought, chaps.

xxxx SIR WES HALLXXXX do not derail on 15:13 - Nov 11 with 3172 viewswhoflungdung

I met Fred when he was staying overnight at Leasowe Castle here after a Speaking engagement

Fair to say he didn't disappoint and what you saws really was the man .

Great speaker who wasn't exactly a shrinking violet

xxxx SIR WES HALLXXXX do not derail on 15:16 - Nov 11 with 3167 viewswhoflungdung

Oldcob

Indeed ,unforgettable and I'm not comparing .

However Andy Roberts closest Ive seen to Griffith for pure hatred of batsman

xxxx SIR WES HALLXXXX do not derail on 17:59 - Nov 11 with 3114 viewsWarwickHunt

xxxx SIR WES HALLXXXX do not derail on 15:16 - Nov 11 by whoflungdung

Oldcob

Patrick Patterson...

I know one of Andy Roberts' cousins very well. Nice bloke off the pitch but he did try to hurt batsmen, Jeff Thomson was another vicious fûcker - especially against the "Poms".

Met Viv a few years ago - top man who loved his time at Glamorgan.
Login to get fewer ads

xxxx SIR WES HALLXXXX do not derail on 18:13 - Nov 11 with 3102 viewsoldcob

xxxx SIR WES HALLXXXX do not derail on 15:16 - Nov 11 by whoflungdung

Oldcob

Any fast bowler worth his salt hates the batsman he's bowling to in my experience. Spinners just think they are superior in the brain department to whoever was facing them.
xxxx SIR WES HALLXXXX do not derail on 18:15 - Nov 11 with 3099 viewsSwanjaxs

xxxx SIR WES HALLXXXX do not derail on 17:59 - Nov 11 by WarwickHunt

Patrick Patterson...

I know one of Andy Roberts' cousins very well. Nice bloke off the pitch but he did try to hurt batsmen, Jeff Thomson was another vicious fûcker - especially against the "Poms".

Met Viv a few years ago - top man who loved his time at Glamorgan.

Glamorgan played Somerset many moons ago at St Helens, walked into the Tenby Hotel close to last orders to find I.V.A. Richards playing Joel Garner at pool..

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024