Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Phil Sumbler Resigns as Trust Chairman 18:07 - Nov 14 with 45684 viewsDarran

Deserves its own thread.

A Statement From Phil Sumbler Re: Supporters Trust 14th Nov 2017 18:00
It is with a heavy heart that I announce that I have stood down from my position as Chair of the Swans Trust. 0

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Phil Sumbler Resigns as Trust Chairman on 11:32 - Mar 29 with 2433 viewsPhil_S

Phil Sumbler Resigns as Trust Chairman on 11:28 - Mar 29 by MoscowJack

Good points, but I have faith in the people like Ux, Lisa, ECB etc as at least we know where they stand, or at least stood.

BUT....if they are banging their heads against a brick wall and seeing their opinions differing from the stale majority, they won't be able to make change, will they?

At the moment, it seems that there majority is the old farts who promote "time" as their main attribute. These are the majority that felt the relationship with Yanks & HJ is worth keeping, despite seeing the Trust (therefore also the fans) being kicked in the balls by them, over and over again.

The only way forward is change. The only way that the "progressive" Board Members can make a change is if they are able to win votes, instead of losing to the blue rinse brigade.

Ok, at this point I know I'm coming across as ageist which, at not far off 50 myself, is the last thing I want to do. I'm talking about the risk-averse, negative and 'flat' Board members who are mainly retired people who enjoy their little monthly board meetings, but contribute nothing in reality. The Trust Board needs freshening up and I don't care how old or young those people are as long as they know how things operate in 2018.

We need modern approaches, modern ideas and an understanding of the "we want it now" sort of mentality that exists nowadays (rightly or wrongly).

As you mentioned, the fact that they can't even get themselves together to coordinate these bl00dy pen pics, which is so embarrassing.....and actually quite pathetic, but sums the whole situation up perfect to me.

I agree. I think with every word.
Phil Sumbler Resigns as Trust Chairman on 11:56 - Mar 29 with 2391 viewsmonmouth

Good points, but I have faith in the people like Ux, Lisa, ECB etc as at least we know where they stand, or at least stood.

BUT....if they are banging their heads against a brick wall and seeing their opinions differing from the stale majority, they won't be able to make change, will they?

At the moment, it seems that there majority is the old farts who promote "time" as their main attribute. These are the majority that felt the relationship with Yanks & HJ is worth keeping, despite seeing the Trust (therefore also the fans) being kicked in the balls by them, over and over again.

The only way forward is change. The only way that the "progressive" Board Members can make a change is if they are able to win votes, instead of losing to the blue rinse brigade.

Ok, at this point I know I'm coming across as ageist which, at not far off 50 myself, is the last thing I want to do. I'm talking about the risk-averse, negative and 'flat' Board members who are mainly retired people who enjoy their little monthly board meetings, but contribute nothing in reality. The Trust Board needs freshening up and I don't care how old or young those people are as long as they know how things operate in 2018.

We need modern approaches, modern ideas and an understanding of the "we want it now" sort of mentality that exists nowadays (rightly or wrongly).

As you mentioned, the fact that they can't even get themselves together to coordinate these bl00dy pen pics, which is so embarrassing.....and actually quite pathetic, but sums the whole situation up perfect to me.

Have some respect young Nicholas. The Trust Board meeting is their only day out now that the post offices have all closed and the doctors surgeries make you ring up first.

The only disagreement I have with your post is the need to insert an exttra 'and over' in paragraph three.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Phil Sumbler Resigns as Trust Chairman on 12:03 - Mar 29 with 2376 viewsPhil_S

Phil Sumbler Resigns as Trust Chairman on 11:56 - Mar 29 by monmouth

Have some respect young Nicholas. The Trust Board meeting is their only day out now that the post offices have all closed and the doctors surgeries make you ring up first.

The only disagreement I have with your post is the need to insert an exttra 'and over' in paragraph three.

I kind of grew to accept that the Trust never publically pulled out of the deal when I wanted to as it was the will of the board to not do that at the time (hence why I offered my resignation as a result)

The desire at the time was to go back to the Americans and try and negotiate back to where the deal was in the summer (at the time of consultation) and that was the final trigger for me to leave as I felt that was pointless.

From memory it was January when the Americans put the deal "on hold" at which point there was only one course of action to take and that was to publically pull out of the deal and state that other courses of action would now be taken. Starting with a members communication/forum on what had happened since the vote in August.

I know (as some have told me directly) that there is a desire from the sub group to pursue the legal avenues (which is right) but this should be in the public domain and left with no doubt in anyones eyes that the terms have changed for the last time

Unfortunately there will always be those in the Trust board who want to "try again and build a relationship" that frankly doesn't exist and with people who have no desire to have one.
Phil Sumbler Resigns as Trust Chairman on 12:21 - Mar 29 with 2347 viewsNeath_Jack

Why do you have faith in them Nick? And bearing in mind that two of those you name are my all time favourite posters on here, you've got to separate forum personalities to board members.

If they are banging their heads against the wall, come out and tell us. That's the only way the old guard are going to get voted off. It's ok on here that a load of us know where Lisa and ECB stand, but how many of the fan base that don't post on here, know what is happening on the board, very few would be my guess.

It's time for a good old mutiny, as nothing else seems to be working. The fresh ideas, (we're led to believe), are being subdued by those that don't like radical change. So what happens? Nothing, it'll just keep going around and around in circles, as your original post alluded too. And we will see more ridiculous splinter groups appearing like that of the SCSA.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Phil Sumbler Resigns as Trust Chairman on 12:23 - Mar 29 with 2343 viewsmonmouth

Phil Sumbler Resigns as Trust Chairman on 12:03 - Mar 29 by Phil_S

I kind of grew to accept that the Trust never publically pulled out of the deal when I wanted to as it was the will of the board to not do that at the time (hence why I offered my resignation as a result)

The desire at the time was to go back to the Americans and try and negotiate back to where the deal was in the summer (at the time of consultation) and that was the final trigger for me to leave as I felt that was pointless.

From memory it was January when the Americans put the deal "on hold" at which point there was only one course of action to take and that was to publically pull out of the deal and state that other courses of action would now be taken. Starting with a members communication/forum on what had happened since the vote in August.

I know (as some have told me directly) that there is a desire from the sub group to pursue the legal avenues (which is right) but this should be in the public domain and left with no doubt in anyones eyes that the terms have changed for the last time

Unfortunately there will always be those in the Trust board who want to "try again and build a relationship" that frankly doesn't exist and with people who have no desire to have one.

Your last sentence just makes me scream 'but why'. What possible motivation is there to go back and bend over again?

Phil Sumbler Resigns as Trust Chairman on 12:27 - Mar 29 with 2336 viewsswancity

Phil Sumbler Resigns as Trust Chairman on 12:23 - Mar 29 by monmouth

Your last sentence just makes me scream 'but why'. What possible motivation is there to go back and bend over again?

It's clearly more to do with the hold that Jenkins has over them than wanting to build relationships with the new owners although that's a factor too.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Phil Sumbler Resigns as Trust Chairman on 12:50 - Mar 29 with 2311 viewsAguycalledJack

Because none of them are used to and are probably afraid of making big business decisions or big decisions that matter. Its a bury your head in the sand and everything will be ok scenario.
Phil Sumbler Resigns as Trust Chairman on 16:31 - Mar 29 with 2209 viewsMoscowJack

To be completely honest, I can understand why some might be trying to keep the flame alive with the Yanks, even if I don't agree with it. That's just about opinion and they have theirs. As someone said, they maybe don't have the experience necessary to make 'ballsy' calls or bluff the opposition (for want of a better word) or maybe they are happy in their comfort zones. Probably both.

What bugs me more is the complete lack of forward-planning, development of what the Trust does, how it communicates (even the recent online plans that we read on here not long ago seem to be lacking in support), how it intends to reach out to the Swansea (and surrounding) community and so so so so much more. Basically, the day-to-day running of the Trust.

Many in the current regime don't seem interested in engaging with us, the fans. What they need to remember is without members, they are even more useless, but I feel that they see us as an irritant, or an unwanted necessity. Tail wagging the dog sums it up perfectly!

It's time for a BIG change and I hope there's enough appetite to get enough information on who's who (as we can't rely on pen pics or non-existent pen pics) currently and who is willing to stand up and be counted. There were 15 applicants for quite a low profile 'election' (or was it selection?) so I would image there would be a lot more out there if the word was spread well enough.

I would even start advertising the potential roles in matchday programmes right now, as we know that not everyone reads this forum or scfc.co.uk. I would even suggest asking the Evening Post for a deal on advertising there too, but that would mean someone's going to organise their replacement, which will get the usual reaction (or lack of).

It's time for a change, that's the most obvious message, but we can't rely on those within to promote it.

Poll: Simple...would you want Leon in the squad right now, if he was available?

Login to get fewer ads

Phil Sumbler Resigns as Trust Chairman on 16:38 - Mar 29 with 2198 viewsMoscowJack

Phil Sumbler Resigns as Trust Chairman on 12:21 - Mar 29 by Neath_Jack

Why do you have faith in them Nick? And bearing in mind that two of those you name are my all time favourite posters on here, you've got to separate forum personalities to board members.

If they are banging their heads against the wall, come out and tell us. That's the only way the old guard are going to get voted off. It's ok on here that a load of us know where Lisa and ECB stand, but how many of the fan base that don't post on here, know what is happening on the board, very few would be my guess.

It's time for a good old mutiny, as nothing else seems to be working. The fresh ideas, (we're led to believe), are being subdued by those that don't like radical change. So what happens? Nothing, it'll just keep going around and around in circles, as your original post alluded too. And we will see more ridiculous splinter groups appearing like that of the SCSA.

I know what you're saying, but I think it's hard to expect anyone to stand up and speak out at the moment. I know some will say that now is the best time, and it might well be, but the best time could be closer to the elections.

You say "you've got to separate forum personalities to board members" but I think it's personalities that we need. I'm sick of dead personalities hiding behind job titles or other who put their heads on the block for them - I want to see people with some balls who are willing to challenge the status quo. I'm sure it's the same in real life as it is on here in some ways - some people write and contribute a lot, whilst others sit back quietly and just nod in agreement or frown when they don't. We don't need nodders, we need people who aren't frightened of having a view of their own and are willing to share it.

If The Res is one extreme, most of the Board are the the complete opposite. I think people like Lisa, Us, ECB and a few others are somewhere in the middle which probably means they're more able (or capable) of arguing their position but having the respect to accept that they might be in the minority. When they find themselves constantly in the minority is when we have to worry about what the intentions of the others voting (within the Board) are.

Poll: Simple...would you want Leon in the squad right now, if he was available?

Phil Sumbler Resigns as Trust Chairman on 10:38 - Mar 30 with 1936 viewschad

The only disagreement I have with your post is the need to insert an extra 'and again’ at the end

I would also like to add ‘nor ever did’ at the end of the post you were replying to
Phil Sumbler Resigns as Trust Chairman on 10:59 - Mar 30 with 1914 viewschad

Phil Sumbler Resigns as Trust Chairman on 16:31 - Mar 29 by MoscowJack

To be completely honest, I can understand why some might be trying to keep the flame alive with the Yanks, even if I don't agree with it. That's just about opinion and they have theirs. As someone said, they maybe don't have the experience necessary to make 'ballsy' calls or bluff the opposition (for want of a better word) or maybe they are happy in their comfort zones. Probably both.

What bugs me more is the complete lack of forward-planning, development of what the Trust does, how it communicates (even the recent online plans that we read on here not long ago seem to be lacking in support), how it intends to reach out to the Swansea (and surrounding) community and so so so so much more. Basically, the day-to-day running of the Trust.

Many in the current regime don't seem interested in engaging with us, the fans. What they need to remember is without members, they are even more useless, but I feel that they see us as an irritant, or an unwanted necessity. Tail wagging the dog sums it up perfectly!

It's time for a BIG change and I hope there's enough appetite to get enough information on who's who (as we can't rely on pen pics or non-existent pen pics) currently and who is willing to stand up and be counted. There were 15 applicants for quite a low profile 'election' (or was it selection?) so I would image there would be a lot more out there if the word was spread well enough.

I would even start advertising the potential roles in matchday programmes right now, as we know that not everyone reads this forum or scfc.co.uk. I would even suggest asking the Evening Post for a deal on advertising there too, but that would mean someone's going to organise their replacement, which will get the usual reaction (or lack of).

It's time for a change, that's the most obvious message, but we can't rely on those within to promote it.

We had a great opportunity for change at the AGM as was repeatedly pointed out on here. It seems the Board were even expecting it.

However we needed the members and the will and organisation to do it. Otherwise it is the same few lone voices speaking out at meetings to no net effect.

Sadly I was unable to attend the AGM but from what I read on here it went off without a murmur and presumably the rules doing away with even the already very loose time limits on Board membership and making publicly disagreeing with any Board policy by any Board member a disciplinary offence, were submissively officially voted into statute by those present.
Phil Sumbler Resigns as Trust Chairman on 14:43 - Mar 30 with 1840 viewswobbly

It is odd that when the yanks turned round and issued their huge f*ck you to the fans when they pulled out of the deal, we heard not a murmur. And still, months later, not a murmur.

I can’t understand why the guns did not start blazing at that point. The most incredible volte-face and the Trust have done nothing about it. Nothing.
Phil Sumbler Resigns as Trust Chairman on 14:58 - Mar 30 with 1819 viewsBobby_Fischer

Phil Sumbler Resigns as Trust Chairman on 14:43 - Mar 30 by wobbly

It is odd that when the yanks turned round and issued their huge f*ck you to the fans when they pulled out of the deal, we heard not a murmur. And still, months later, not a murmur.

I can’t understand why the guns did not start blazing at that point. The most incredible volte-face and the Trust have done nothing about it. Nothing.

The yanks done the fans a favour by pulling out of the deal. The Trust should of been the ones putting a stop to it.

Poll: Who should take over from Jenkins?

Phil Sumbler Resigns as Trust Chairman on 15:11 - Mar 30 with 1810 viewswobbly

Phil Sumbler Resigns as Trust Chairman on 14:58 - Mar 30 by Bobby_Fischer

The yanks done the fans a favour by pulling out of the deal. The Trust should of been the ones putting a stop to it.

The yanks made an offer to buy those shares. The trust put it to a vote of the fans who voted to accept that deal. Regardless of your views in the merits of the deal, the yanks unlaterally decided to renege on that deal.

It doesn’t matter how you cut it, that’s an enormous f*ck you to the fans of the club from our American owners and yet nothing was said and nothing happened afterwards. Total radio silence.
Phil Sumbler Resigns as Trust Chairman on 17:49 - Mar 30 with 1738 viewsmonmouth

Phil Sumbler Resigns as Trust Chairman on 15:11 - Mar 30 by wobbly

The yanks made an offer to buy those shares. The trust put it to a vote of the fans who voted to accept that deal. Regardless of your views in the merits of the deal, the yanks unlaterally decided to renege on that deal.

It doesn’t matter how you cut it, that’s an enormous f*ck you to the fans of the club from our American owners and yet nothing was said and nothing happened afterwards. Total radio silence.

We should be going to court, already. There would be no effect on the team despite all the bollocks spouted. GET. ON. WITH. IT.

Phil Sumbler Resigns as Trust Chairman on 08:31 - Mar 31 with 1640 viewsBobby_Fischer

Phil Sumbler Resigns as Trust Chairman on 15:11 - Mar 30 by wobbly

The Yanks then tried to change aspects of the deal after the original terms were agreed.

Poll: Who should take over from Jenkins?

Phil Sumbler Resigns as Trust Chairman on 13:10 - Mar 31 with 1587 viewswobbly

I think we are all agreeing with each other. When we had an offer, there were Fans forums, emails, independent scrutineers, ballot papers and all manner of stuff.

But when the Americans decide to directly, openly and transparently f*ck us, there is not even a whimper. Total silence. Not even a hint of anger.

Regardless of your view on the offer and the vote, that's unacceptable.
Phil Sumbler Resigns as Trust Chairman on 13:36 - Mar 31 with 1560 viewsdobjack2

Phil Sumbler Resigns as Trust Chairman on 16:31 - Mar 29 by MoscowJack

Until sufficient members are prepared to act to change the make up of the Trust Board nothing is going to change.

By the fans for the fans is a phrase that has little real meaning these days.
Phil Sumbler Resigns as Trust Chairman on 15:17 - Mar 31 with 1512 viewsSmellyplumz

Phil Sumbler Resigns as Trust Chairman on 13:36 - Mar 31 by dobjack2

Until sufficient members are prepared to act to change the make up of the Trust Board nothing is going to change.

By the fans for the fans is a phrase that has little real meaning these days.

By the sellout scum for the yanks and share holders.

""Although I cannot promise or predict the future, I can guarantee one thing - the current board of directors will always fight, as we have done over the last 12 years, to work together as one with the Supporters Trust to make 100% sure that Swansea City football club remains the number one priority in all our thoughts and in every decision we make."
Poll: Huw Jenkins

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024