Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers 20:19 - Nov 18 with 6122 viewsMyFinalHeaven

19. Swansea City - Kaplan/Levien
20. Crystal Palace - Harris/Blitzer

Who knew running a football club wasn't like owning a stock and you can't just sit on it, wait for it to increase in value, and then sell for a profit. Unfortunately this is exactly what our current owners thought. I have it on good knowledge that both Jason Levien and Steve Kaplan thought they could just waltz in, let their "brilliant football mind" Jenkins (as Levien called him) handle everything, and then sell for a nifty profit in 5 years--though they were hoping for less. In their minds they thought they had an easy, short-term flip on their hands.

This is what happens when your club gets bought by vulture, I mean venture capitalists. The treat football clubs like they're a private equity security and think you can somehow get by by investing fvck all.

It'll hurt if we go down--something that's looking more and more likely by the minute--but if there's one consolation it's that these bloodsuckers will not get to realize their goal of selling us for profit. Rather, and even better, they'll have a catastrophic loss on their hands, one that will be rapidly depreciating. The amount in value that a club loses from getting relegated is impossible to overstate.

Come on you Swans.

Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 20:21 - Nov 18 with 4782 viewsSmellyplumz

Agreed but they've already made their money back, they ain't stupid.

""Although I cannot promise or predict the future, I can guarantee one thing - the current board of directors will always fight, as we have done over the last 12 years, to work together as one with the Supporters Trust to make 100% sure that Swansea City football club remains the number one priority in all our thoughts and in every decision we make."
Poll: Huw Jenkins

Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 20:32 - Nov 18 with 4743 viewsConcerned_Parent

Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 20:21 - Nov 18 by Smellyplumz

Not at all. At the moment they've made nothing, and they've spent nothing, which was and still is the plan. They were going to put in ₤0 after buying the club and let the global TV and sponsorship deals increase our value until selling us for a profit.

At the moment they're probably talking with their lawyers to see how much of the parachute payments they can embezzle. Current rules stipulate that regulated clubs get ₤90m over 3 years. It'll be the only way they'll recoup some of the cost from buying us. If we go down there is no way in hell they're going to put in some money to try and get us back up. Hedge fund managers cut their losses on rapidly depreciating assets and sell, not put in money to make some back.
Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 20:34 - Nov 18 with 4738 viewsmonmouth

No, mate. Try as I might, I can't find it funny.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 20:35 - Nov 18 with 4731 viewsWingstandwood

MyFinalHeaven..Nice post and topic. I agree 100%,, I honestly believe the Yanks fell for the Jenkins over-hype and bulls#it in JTAK, that DVD/movie, which was nothing but sell-off sales-pitch and a sell-off promotional tool.

I bet the Yanks were given a private guided tour in the impressive, spanking state of the art training complexes and were told tales of ten million, twenty million, thirty million Pounds players whizzing off an imaginary fast-tracked conveyor belt. I bet Jenkins didn't tell them that the club has an abysmal record for doing such. Lucky if we see one PL standard-regular in the next ten years out of that!
[Post edited 18 Nov 2017 20:38]

Argus!

Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 20:44 - Nov 18 with 4696 viewsmonmouth

Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 20:35 - Nov 18 by Wingstandwood

MyFinalHeaven..Nice post and topic. I agree 100%,, I honestly believe the Yanks fell for the Jenkins over-hype and bulls#it in JTAK, that DVD/movie, which was nothing but sell-off sales-pitch and a sell-off promotional tool.

I bet the Yanks were given a private guided tour in the impressive, spanking state of the art training complexes and were told tales of ten million, twenty million, thirty million Pounds players whizzing off an imaginary fast-tracked conveyor belt. I bet Jenkins didn't tell them that the club has an abysmal record for doing such. Lucky if we see one PL standard-regular in the next ten years out of that!

Possibly true. Add in their Yankee Doodle expertise with moneyball and it's chocks away. We could be billionaires this time next year Rodders.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 20:44 - Nov 18 with 4696 viewsMyFinalHeaven

Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 20:35 - Nov 18 by Wingstandwood

"MyFinalHeaven..Nice post and topic. I agree 100%,, I honestly believe the Yanks fell for the Jenkins over-hype and bulls#it in JTAK, that DVD/movie, which was nothing but sell-off sales-pitch and a sell-off promotional tool."

They absolutely did. In his first press conference after buying the club, Levien talked about how impressed he was with Jenkins and the club after watching Jack to a King and how enamored he was with everything to he saw in that "documentary."

JTAK remains one of the sellouts ' enduring shames. It was nothing more than a propaganda puff piece infomercial designed to find a seller, and unfortunately, it did just that. The fact that it was funded with seven figures of club money is absolutely disgraceful.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2017 20:45]

Come on you Swans.

Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 20:56 - Nov 18 with 4670 viewsJokeren1943

The Americans has shown, that they trusted the strategy made by the (old) Swansea board.

Beside Bradley nothing has changed in the way, the club has been driven.

Seem the Americans must have believed, that Swansea lack of success was only temporary - not structural- as is clear.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2017 21:00]
Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 20:58 - Nov 18 with 4651 viewsSmellyplumz

Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 20:32 - Nov 18 by Concerned_Parent

Not at all. At the moment they've made nothing, and they've spent nothing, which was and still is the plan. They were going to put in ₤0 after buying the club and let the global TV and sponsorship deals increase our value until selling us for a profit.

At the moment they're probably talking with their lawyers to see how much of the parachute payments they can embezzle. Current rules stipulate that regulated clubs get ₤90m over 3 years. It'll be the only way they'll recoup some of the cost from buying us. If we go down there is no way in hell they're going to put in some money to try and get us back up. Hedge fund managers cut their losses on rapidly depreciating assets and sell, not put in money to make some back.

Do you have proof they've made no money?

""Although I cannot promise or predict the future, I can guarantee one thing - the current board of directors will always fight, as we have done over the last 12 years, to work together as one with the Supporters Trust to make 100% sure that Swansea City football club remains the number one priority in all our thoughts and in every decision we make."

Login to get fewer ads

Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 21:03 - Nov 18 with 4625 viewsConcerned_Parent

Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 20:58 - Nov 18 by Smellyplumz

Do you have proof they've made no money?

The burden of proof is on you actually. You're the one who claimed that they've actually made money. Do you have any proof of that?
Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 21:06 - Nov 18 with 4591 viewsthereisnospoon

Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 20:21 - Nov 18 by Smellyplumz

No, they are that stupid. Let's not forget they thought that Bob Bradley was qualified to manage a Premier League club. That's as stupid as it gets.

Both K&L are no more than silver spoon trust fund babies who got where they are today by virtue of being born rich. Levien in particular, who's father James Levien was a lawyer and a sports agent. Unfortunately they both believe in their own hype and think they're both geniuses.
Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 21:07 - Nov 18 with 4583 viewsSmellyplumz

Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 21:03 - Nov 18 by Concerned_Parent

The burden of proof is on you actually. You're the one who claimed that they've actually made money. Do you have any proof of that?

No I have no proof but my opinion is that they have recouped a lot of money because they have not spent it on the club and basically they are money getters. I respect your opinion but it's not mine and it wasn't a dig, I was genuinely interested. I will say this though... In a 100 yrs time who here will give a fùck?
[Post edited 18 Nov 2017 21:08]

Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 21:10 - Nov 18 with 4561 viewsSmellyplumz

Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 21:06 - Nov 18 by thereisnospoon

No, they are that stupid. Let's not forget they thought that Bob Bradley was qualified to manage a Premier League club. That's as stupid as it gets.

Both K&L are no more than silver spoon trust fund babies who got where they are today by virtue of being born rich. Levien in particular, who's father James Levien was a lawyer and a sports agent. Unfortunately they both believe in their own hype and think they're both geniuses.

I agree they are stupid when it comes to football, why would they know anything about that but I don't think you run a hedge fund for long if your no good at turning coin but I'm no expert on them.

Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 21:43 - Nov 18 with 4496 viewsmajorraglan

I believe that buying the Swans could have been a good investment for K and L as there are areas which could have been improved relatively easily, for example the commercial revenue, owning the stadium etc if the Club stayed in the PL.

It’s gone wrong on the field, squad isn’t good enough and selling the best players without recruiting sufficient quality replacements in the right areas has proved costly. A poor working relationship with the Trust hasn’t helped.

If I were the Trust officials, I would be concerned that ownership of the ground could result in a mortgage being raised, I would be looking at cashing in my shares and waiting for that rainy day. I would imagine K and L have done their homework and won’t be walking away out of pocket.

I have a feeling there could be dark days ahead.
Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 22:02 - Nov 18 with 4450 viewsMyFinalHeaven

Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 20:34 - Nov 18 by monmouth

No, mate. Try as I might, I can't find it funny.

You gotta find the humour in hardships mate. It's the only way to get by while completely keeping your sanity.

Come on you Swans.

Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 22:41 - Nov 18 with 4391 viewsskettyparkherbert

Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 21:43 - Nov 18 by majorraglan

I believe that buying the Swans could have been a good investment for K and L as there are areas which could have been improved relatively easily, for example the commercial revenue, owning the stadium etc if the Club stayed in the PL.

It’s gone wrong on the field, squad isn’t good enough and selling the best players without recruiting sufficient quality replacements in the right areas has proved costly. A poor working relationship with the Trust hasn’t helped.

If I were the Trust officials, I would be concerned that ownership of the ground could result in a mortgage being raised, I would be looking at cashing in my shares and waiting for that rainy day. I would imagine K and L have done their homework and won’t be walking away out of pocket.

I have a feeling there could be dark days ahead.

Point of order

SCFC don't own the ground the Council do, they have a 38 year lease that now costs them £300k PA

They also have the naming rights for any future deals of which the Council get 10%

They also have the land to expand the stadium and can use the stadium for any other events to raise revenue etc

They have also agreed to build 2X3G football pitches every 5 years at the aprox cost of £5mil, that will save the Council a few quid, all together a good deal for all council tax payers??
Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 00:03 - Nov 19 with 4310 viewsmajorraglan

Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 22:41 - Nov 18 by skettyparkherbert

Point of order

SCFC don't own the ground the Council do, they have a 38 year lease that now costs them £300k PA

They also have the naming rights for any future deals of which the Council get 10%

They also have the land to expand the stadium and can use the stadium for any other events to raise revenue etc

They have also agreed to build 2X3G football pitches every 5 years at the aprox cost of £5mil, that will save the Council a few quid, all together a good deal for all council tax payers??

I do believe the club will be a good investment for K and L if it stays in the PL. I envisage that they have crunched the numbers on a best and worse case scenario and will make money, but going down will make it a lot less rewarding than staying up. Staying up is key, K and L need Swansea in the PL and Swansea and West Wales needs SCFC in the PL as it brings a lot of money in to the area.

Yes, they have a lease and could potentially borrow against the lease using the stadium as security. Could they “trade” the lease on to a holding company and charge the Swans more money to rent the Stadium?

Yes, naming rights is potentially a big earner, if the club stays in the PL, much less lucrative if the club drops to the Championship and below.

Building 2x3G pitches is great for the Community, but if the club drops and they move on it could be a big millstone for any new owners, especially in League 2.

I know this may seem alarmist and pessimistic, but just look whats happened at Portsmouth and Coventry City the latter also being owned by an investment group.
Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 07:59 - Nov 19 with 4192 viewsgiantstoneater

The lease for 38 days will be used as a marketing tool when it comes to selling up I should imagine the sooner the better.
Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 16:36 - Nov 19 with 4022 viewsthereisnospoon

Anyone in the know willing to shed light on whether the Yanks have made any money or not? Anyone in the trust or was recently part of the trust? Ux, Phil? I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 00:07 - Nov 20 with 3888 viewsMyFinalHeaven

Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 00:03 - Nov 19 by majorraglan

I do believe the club will be a good investment for K and L if it stays in the PL. I envisage that they have crunched the numbers on a best and worse case scenario and will make money, but going down will make it a lot less rewarding than staying up. Staying up is key, K and L need Swansea in the PL and Swansea and West Wales needs SCFC in the PL as it brings a lot of money in to the area.

Yes, they have a lease and could potentially borrow against the lease using the stadium as security. Could they “trade” the lease on to a holding company and charge the Swans more money to rent the Stadium?

Yes, naming rights is potentially a big earner, if the club stays in the PL, much less lucrative if the club drops to the Championship and below.

Building 2x3G pitches is great for the Community, but if the club drops and they move on it could be a big millstone for any new owners, especially in League 2.

I know this may seem alarmist and pessimistic, but just look whats happened at Portsmouth and Coventry City the latter also being owned by an investment group.

If we stay in the Prem this season it might be even more of a miracle than last season.

Come on you Swans.

Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 00:12 - Nov 20 with 3881 viewsLoyal

Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 16:36 - Nov 19 by thereisnospoon

Anyone in the know willing to shed light on whether the Yanks have made any money or not? Anyone in the trust or was recently part of the trust? Ux, Phil? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Without sound evidence to the contrary I reckon they have made their investment back.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 01:43 - Nov 20 with 3837 viewsthereisnospoon

Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 00:12 - Nov 20 by Loyal

Without sound evidence to the contrary I reckon they have made their investment back.

Through what though? Have they embezzled money from the club's coffers?
Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 03:06 - Nov 20 with 3821 viewsLeonWasGod

Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 22:41 - Nov 18 by skettyparkherbert

Point of order

Somebody needs to look into these 3G pitches. Strongly linked to cancer in kids in other countries and they're starting to pop up all over the place.
Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 08:33 - Nov 20 with 3715 viewsJJJack

Nice post. I've said this since long before the Yanks buy-out was confirmed. If you study carefully, Yanks' records at running British clubs- it's borderline disastrous.
Man Utd - far from ruined but the club got saddled with an initial £700m debt as the Glazers leveraged the cost of buying it against the Club itself. This led to years of under investment and despite Fergie working miracles, has led to a slow but sure demise. Remember this was unquestionably the biggest and most successful club in the country around 2007. Not anymore.
Arsenal - Kroenle kas been major shareholder since 2006. Strangely enough that has coincided with Arsenal's least impressive decade since the 80s.
Villa - enough said. Lerner failed to invest and they suffered for years
Sunderland - ditto Villa
Liverpool - nearly went bankrupt under Hicks & Gillette. Saved by more Yanks BUT have singularly failed to kcik on on the pitch. But have done ok in all consideration.

It's ridiculous to say you couldn't have successful American owners. However, the cultural and structural differences between U.S. and U.K. sports are monumental and they seem unable to grasp this. I've worked for companies and been a little bit involved with establishing branches overseas . It's fraught with difficulties for obvious reasons. One main thing is - you HAVE to have your top bods at the location for a considerable period of time - if you want to guarantee the business runs the way you wish it to.

Putting in Altman and Pearlman etc isn't enough IMO. They (K&L) seem to be waking up now. But it's probably too late.
Jenkins is the real clever bugger in all this. He's the only person with the capability of getting us out of this mess - he's done it twice (with Guido & Clement). He's made good calls. Whatever the opinions of him - he is the ONLY person who can save us now.
Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 08:46 - Nov 20 with 3694 viewsjacktheripper

Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 08:33 - Nov 20 by JJJack

Nice post. I've said this since long before the Yanks buy-out was confirmed. If you study carefully, Yanks' records at running British clubs- it's borderline disastrous.
Man Utd - far from ruined but the club got saddled with an initial £700m debt as the Glazers leveraged the cost of buying it against the Club itself. This led to years of under investment and despite Fergie working miracles, has led to a slow but sure demise. Remember this was unquestionably the biggest and most successful club in the country around 2007. Not anymore.
Arsenal - Kroenle kas been major shareholder since 2006. Strangely enough that has coincided with Arsenal's least impressive decade since the 80s.
Villa - enough said. Lerner failed to invest and they suffered for years
Sunderland - ditto Villa
Liverpool - nearly went bankrupt under Hicks & Gillette. Saved by more Yanks BUT have singularly failed to kcik on on the pitch. But have done ok in all consideration.

It's ridiculous to say you couldn't have successful American owners. However, the cultural and structural differences between U.S. and U.K. sports are monumental and they seem unable to grasp this. I've worked for companies and been a little bit involved with establishing branches overseas . It's fraught with difficulties for obvious reasons. One main thing is - you HAVE to have your top bods at the location for a considerable period of time - if you want to guarantee the business runs the way you wish it to.

Putting in Altman and Pearlman etc isn't enough IMO. They (K&L) seem to be waking up now. But it's probably too late.
Jenkins is the real clever bugger in all this. He's the only person with the capability of getting us out of this mess - he's done it twice (with Guido & Clement). He's made good calls. Whatever the opinions of him - he is the ONLY person who can save us now.

But its the third consecutive season that we find ourselves in a total mess and there is only one common denominator - JENKINS!
Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 08:55 - Nov 20 with 3683 viewsswanforthemoney

Funny how the bottom 2 clubs are both owned by American hedge fund managers on 08:46 - Nov 20 by jacktheripper

But its the third consecutive season that we find ourselves in a total mess and there is only one common denominator - JENKINS!

To keep us up, Jenkins needs to make another big call and get it right.
One of these times, it ain't going to work.
Fingers crossed.

I stand in the North Stand

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024