Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Yet another home improvement related thread! 19:35 - Nov 19 with 1198 viewswaynekerr55

Evening all, does anyone happen to do work on the power network or is on the Lloyd's Register?

As shown below, it appears that the previous owner (not being fully compos mentis) was diddled. The distribution network operator (who are now UK Power Networks) appear to have run a spur from a newer 100A single phase fuse (middle picture) through the wall into the older bakelite fuse and VIR cable. This should have been removed when they did the work and now they are trying to charge me £1400 for the privilege.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but am I being charged to undo someone's laziness? (No need to post Clasey! )

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Yet another home improvement related thread! on 20:13 - Nov 19 with 1158 viewsRancid

I suspect every sparky has run like phuck after seeing that bottom pic and it hasnt been touched since the Blitz
Yet another home improvement related thread! on 20:18 - Nov 19 with 1148 viewswaynekerr55

Yet another home improvement related thread! on 20:13 - Nov 19 by Rancid

I suspect every sparky has run like phuck after seeing that bottom pic and it hasnt been touched since the Blitz

The thing is Rancid it looks like someone has run a spur from the bakelite fuses into a newer single phase 100A fuse beneath the meter and consumer unit.

Am I correct that the incoming fuses are only available to a limited supply chain, as it's connected to the network?

Yet another home improvement related thread! on 20:21 - Nov 19 with 1138 viewsJackfath

Have you spoken to an electrician?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Yet another home improvement related thread! on 20:24 - Nov 19 with 1125 viewsexiledclaseboy

Yet another home improvement related thread! on 20:21 - Nov 19 by Jackfath

Who needs trained tradesmen when you’ve got Planet Swans?

Poll: Tory leader

Yet another home improvement related thread! on 20:24 - Nov 19 with 1123 viewsJackfath

Yet another home improvement related thread! on 20:24 - Nov 19 by exiledclaseboy

Who needs trained tradesmen when you’ve got Planet Swans?

Good point. I'll pass on my expert opinion.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

Yet another home improvement related thread! on 20:25 - Nov 19 with 1117 viewsjack2jack

I'm guessing the answers no.And is asking the good folk of PS for a bit of sensible advice first.
Lot of cowboys around see!
Yet another home improvement related thread! on 20:26 - Nov 19 with 1113 viewsJackfath

You don't need those wires in the bottom picture. Cut them with a pair of decent side cutters. Job done.

That'll be £300 call out fee.

Yet another home improvement related thread! on 20:33 - Nov 19 with 1099 viewsdickythorpe

Put a saucepan of lard on the hob and crank it up. Nip out for 3 hours. When you return home put on your best "oh my good gosh" face and "how could I have been so stupid!!??" is always worth saying to any fire chief.
Then put a claim into your home insurance provider.

Used to work well.

Anyway, I have to go now. Lights out in Strangeways soon.
Login to get fewer ads

Yet another home improvement related thread! on 20:38 - Nov 19 with 1089 viewsRancid

Yet another home improvement related thread! on 20:18 - Nov 19 by waynekerr55

The thing is Rancid it looks like someone has run a spur from the bakelite fuses into a newer single phase 100A fuse beneath the meter and consumer unit.

Am I correct that the incoming fuses are only available to a limited supply chain, as it's connected to the network?

Wayne Im a chippie so wont pretend i know what im talking about but it doesnt fill me with confidence looking at those pics and not the work of a qualified spark.The old fella before looks like he's nipped down B and Q and then Oddbins.Even if the parts are only sold to Trade I dont suppose theyre too difficult to get your hands on.
Yet another home improvement related thread! on 20:52 - Nov 19 with 1068 views3swan

Did you get a full survey done before purchase? Can you claim?
Yet another home improvement related thread! on 20:53 - Nov 19 with 1061 viewswaynekerr55

Yes - the thing is there are 3 types of electrical work:

1 - general domestic which is from the consumer unit to the switches/lights/white goods etc.
2 - the electricity supplier who can change your meter
3 - the DNO whose responsibility is from the incoming fuse to the network

The reason I doth post is (a) I enjoy the witty retorts (usually ECB) and (b) if anyone happens to be on the Lloyds Register as someone permitted to perform work on the network, I'm asking if my suspicions are correct. At present, the conundrum I'm in is that the guy who came round is employed by UK Power Networks so he's not going to coat off his own company.

Yet another home improvement related thread! on 20:55 - Nov 19 with 1048 viewswaynekerr55

Yet another home improvement related thread! on 20:52 - Nov 19 by 3swan

Did you get a full survey done before purchase? Can you claim?

Yes - but it was hidden behind a fridge freezer!

Can always ask though

The rest of the stuff is fine and the bakelite fuses and VIR cable is fine as long as you don't try to move it. I've got to talk to the power network again...

Yet another home improvement related thread! on 20:57 - Nov 19 with 1040 viewsmajorraglan

Stick you query on a forum like the below. You may not get the witty reposts but you might get some sense.

https://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024