Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jana Novotna 13:23 - Nov 20 with 1224 viewstrampie

Jana Novotna RIP

Fantastic player with a great all round game.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Jana Novotna on 13:44 - Nov 20 with 1204 viewsWarwickHunt

Who did he play for?
Jana Novotna on 13:45 - Nov 20 with 1201 viewsLohengrin

Jana Novotna on 13:44 - Nov 20 by WarwickHunt

Who did he play for?

Wimbledon.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Jana Novotna on 14:16 - Nov 20 with 1179 viewstrampie

Jana was such a joy to watch, a sad time for tennis.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2017 14:16]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Jana Novotna on 18:59 - Nov 21 with 1100 viewstrampie

I still can't bring myself to talk footie, Jana passed away a few days ago but I still can't focus on the Swans the loss of Jana has left a huge void.

Jana Novotna on 19:03 - Nov 21 with 1090 viewsdickythorpe

Jana Novotna on 18:59 - Nov 21 by trampie

I still can't bring myself to talk footie, Jana passed away a few days ago but I still can't focus on the Swans the loss of Jana has left a huge void.

Don't let it get you down Trampie.
Jana Novotna on 19:21 - Nov 21 with 1084 viewstrampie

Jana Novotna on 19:03 - Nov 21 by dickythorpe

Don't let it get you down Trampie.

One has to try I know but she was such a talented player and everybody says a lovely person, my favourite sports person in my time, I've seen her play all over the World, always top entertainment, her record is well known but a lot of the time, the majority of the time she would have the World best on toast and be in a winning position and get nervous.
They say she should have won Wimbledon 3 times, Graf she was out of sight and got tight, Hingis she was winning but was injured, but there was loads of semis and quarters that she was winning and some how lost, when she did win it, me and the wife was praying Natalie would get a big first serve in so Jana would not have time to think just react and that is what happened.
She was so good that I would say that if Jana played her best the others playing their best would not beat her.
She showed great courage to comeback after devastating losses from winning positions to put herself through it again and again and of course she was brilliant at doubles and would win slam after slam which can't have done her singles chances much good.

She was a crowd favourite amongst neutrals.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2017 19:22]

Jana Novotna on 19:25 - Nov 21 with 1070 viewsJackfath

Jana Novotna on 19:21 - Nov 21 by trampie

One has to try I know but she was such a talented player and everybody says a lovely person, my favourite sports person in my time, I've seen her play all over the World, always top entertainment, her record is well known but a lot of the time, the majority of the time she would have the World best on toast and be in a winning position and get nervous.
They say she should have won Wimbledon 3 times, Graf she was out of sight and got tight, Hingis she was winning but was injured, but there was loads of semis and quarters that she was winning and some how lost, when she did win it, me and the wife was praying Natalie would get a big first serve in so Jana would not have time to think just react and that is what happened.
She was so good that I would say that if Jana played her best the others playing their best would not beat her.
She showed great courage to comeback after devastating losses from winning positions to put herself through it again and again and of course she was brilliant at doubles and would win slam after slam which can't have done her singles chances much good.

She was a crowd favourite amongst neutrals.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2017 19:22]

I feel your pain. It would be a nice touch to put a eulogy on your signature on here. She'd have loved that I am sure.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Jana Novotna on 19:26 - Nov 21 with 1067 viewswhoflungdung

Must have had a bit of Welsh in her

Poll: Is it Spa or spa

Login to get fewer ads

Jana Novotna on 19:36 - Nov 21 with 1053 viewstrampie

Jana Novotna on 19:25 - Nov 21 by Jackfath

I feel your pain. It would be a nice touch to put a eulogy on your signature on here. She'd have loved that I am sure.

It was a rollercoaster following her, most of the time it was epic match after epic match, all the Grand Slams, end of year finals, Olympics, Fed cup, tier one tournies you name it she was top value, as you knew she would have at least a 50-50 chance of being in a winning position against the best but could she get over the line, of course she often did but you never knew.

Jana Novotna on 19:43 - Nov 21 with 1039 viewsdickythorpe

You're a true fan and so is Mrs Trampie. Luckily her prowess and skill will live on in memory and Internet videos etc.

How did you rate Hingis?
Jana Novotna on 20:01 - Nov 21 with 1024 viewslondonlisa2001

Wonderful player and always played with a smile.

I read today that she used to drive Martina Navratilova to and from her radiotherapy treatments when Martina was suffering with breast cancer. They remained very good friends after their doubles days. Terrible irony.
Jana Novotna on 20:06 - Nov 21 with 1019 viewstrampie

Jana Novotna on 19:43 - Nov 21 by dickythorpe

You're a true fan and so is Mrs Trampie. Luckily her prowess and skill will live on in memory and Internet videos etc.

How did you rate Hingis?

Hingis just like Graf as well as Seles and Sanchez had mental toughness, Hingis was a chess player on the court, Hingis was burned out young, she had been a dominant champion in the juniors and was beating the top pros as a teenager, burnout and the power players made life difficult for her when she should have been in her prime but she started so young and won so much at a young age that her prime turned out to be years before most other players. Graf had two huge weapons her serve and forehand, but had a limited volley and backhand but was able to hide this as she was said to be Olympic standard for running 400m I have heard it said.
Graf was lucky in as much a Seles was starting to dominate but a Graf fan stabbed her to keep Steffi at the top of the game, Sanchez was brilliant on slower surfaces, Novotna and Sabbatini could be said to have had more talent and ability than some of those champions but where flakey, having a choice of shot is not always a good thing.
Seles was a power player off both wings, when the Williams sisters and Davenport came along they were power players in the air (serve) and off the ground.
Hingis would out think her opponents.
They are some of my thoughts, who wins can come down to when they play and what surface.

Jana Novotna on 20:08 - Nov 21 with 1015 viewslondonlisa2001

Jana Novotna on 19:43 - Nov 21 by dickythorpe

How did you rate Hingis?

Deeply unpleasant woman.

I find it difficult to get past that.
Jana Novotna on 20:21 - Nov 21 with 999 viewswhoflungdung

Apart from scary teeth ,why do you say that

Where did you meet her

Poll: Is it Spa or spa

Jana Novotna on 20:29 - Nov 21 with 994 viewsdickythorpe

Jana Novotna on 20:08 - Nov 21 by londonlisa2001

Deeply unpleasant woman.

I find it difficult to get past that.

But a chess player on the court Lisa, a chess player!
Jana Novotna on 22:33 - Nov 21 with 963 viewsbiggar

Very sad news. A great player in a very strong era. Didn’t realise she was ill so the news is quite a shock.

Speaking of the other players, Hingis was an absolute mammoth talent. That’s quite obvious even nowadays when you see her playing doubles. I’d even go so far as to say she’s the most naturally talented player I’ve seen in my lifetime. She just happened to be around at just the wrong time when first Venus and secondly Serena came on the scene. I remember an epic match between Hingis and Venus in New York, possibly in 2000. Hingis was playing incredible stuff but the power generated by Venus at that time was insane. Great era. RIP Jana Novotna. One of the best players of her time and quite exceptional on grass.
Jana Novotna on 10:42 - Nov 22 with 912 viewstrampie

Not forgetting Martina who won her last slam in 1990 but was active until the mid nineties in a meaningful way, Jana took over the mantle at the top of the game of serve and volley , Jana actually beat Navratilova in the 93 Wimbledon semis before imploding from a strong 'winning position' in the final.

Jana Novotna on 10:50 - Nov 22 with 906 viewstrampie

On checking Jana had 4 career wins against Seles and Graf and 3 career wins against Hingis and Venus.
Yet those figures could be far greater if she was not prone to getting tight, it was a pleasure watching such a talented player, not many play that all court game these days.

Jana Novotna on 10:54 - Nov 22 with 897 viewsWarwickHunt

Jana Novotna on 18:59 - Nov 21 by trampie

Grow up, you massive trumpet.
Jana Novotna on 11:26 - Nov 22 with 877 viewstrampie

Jana Novotna on 10:54 - Nov 22 by WarwickHunt

Grow up, you massive trumpet.

The owners, supporters trust and fans on here, it's difficult not to feel dirty when talking about Swansea football at this point in time, particularly when a well respected sports person has died young, I rather focus on Jana's career at this juncture than the sordid mess that is currently Swansea City football.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024