Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Derby fans view of Clem 17:04 - Dec 4 with 4882 viewsMrSwerve

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/25208-paul-clement/

An interesting little read, especially if you look at the more recent posts.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Derby fans view of Clem on 17:07 - Dec 4 with 4852 viewsMrSwerve

Between Oct 13-March 15, Derby County accumulated the most points of any team in the country by playing a certain style. Failings made it clear that a few tweaks needed to be made to the style. Clement started off with that style, adding a few tweaks and we were brilliant. Only top at one point, but well in the race. But the more the season went on, the further we got from that style, the worse we got.

The more we reflected Clements image, the worse the team played. And he looked to lose the dressing room because of that. Whether that was through footballing matters, personal matters or allegedly shagging whoevers missus, there'd clearly been a deterioration as the season went on. He lost the dressing room in 6 months, despite having every advantage, something no Derby manager has had since.

He looks good next to Pearson and what Mac II became but he bottled it more than they did. For what Pearson and McClaren wanted to do, they didn't have the same resources that Clement did. Macs team played football around the back because they didn't have anyone to hold it further up field, Clements team played it round the back because that's what he liked; safe football.

Clement seems like the messiah to some in hindsight but I'm not convinced he saw a long term future at Derby or a way to get us up. But if you think the manager that had Chris Martin chasing punts down field and Jason Shackell as a playmaker out the back was the one, then fair enough.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Derby fans view of Clem on 17:11 - Dec 4 with 4829 viewscentrestandswan

My favourite comment.....

"Is the PE teacher still in a job..?"

Poll: Will we be relegated ?

Derby fans view of Clem on 18:16 - Dec 4 with 4582 viewsLoyal

Very thoughtful and well informed posts on there.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Derby fans view of Clem on 21:10 - Dec 4 with 4261 viewsPawelAbbott

Amazing how it is history repeating itself almost exactly under Clement.
The points about him being good at defensive structure but relies on talented forwards to sort the rest out themselves is clearly very true.
Also amazed that it lasted 20 pages without any arguing, bitching or offering anyone out for a fight. I didn't know that was possible.
Derby fans view of Clem on 23:22 - Dec 4 with 3967 viewsgadgetuk

Derby fans view of Clem on 17:11 - Dec 4 by centrestandswan

My favourite comment.....

"Is the PE teacher still in a job..?"

Depressingly my son now attends the school Paul Clement was the PE teacher at. I've told him to not mention this fact, I don't want him to be bullied
Derby fans view of Clem on 23:34 - Dec 4 with 3921 viewsPozuelosSideys

Its a pattern. He isnt learning, nor is he getting lucky.

Rodgers had a similar problem until he got lucky and stumbled across putting Dobbie in the hole. That completely changed everything for him and for us and was the final piece in the jigsaw.

Until he realises we need width and to take risks going forward - preferably at pace - then hes done.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Derby fans view of Clem on 23:41 - Dec 4 with 3899 viewsBloodyhills

Derby fans view of Clem on 21:10 - Dec 4 by PawelAbbott

Amazing how it is history repeating itself almost exactly under Clement.
The points about him being good at defensive structure but relies on talented forwards to sort the rest out themselves is clearly very true.
Also amazed that it lasted 20 pages without any arguing, bitching or offering anyone out for a fight. I didn't know that was possible.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Derby fans view of Clem on 05:25 - Dec 5 with 3750 viewsicecoldjack

So basically it comes down to having talented players in the attacking half of the filed... who'd have thought.

Buy championship players,end up in the championship.
It's not all down to Clement, we need to keep remember that too.
Login to get fewer ads

Derby fans view of Clem on 06:30 - Dec 5 with 3704 viewsPawelAbbott

I would think that Defensive shape and positioning is something that can be learnt from a book and training courses.
Attacking flair and invention can't. You either have it or you don't.
That is why Clement will never be able to coach players to attack fluidly and will instead just coach it out of players by forcing them to follow the defensive patterns.
There is no amount of time that the board can give him to overcome this.
He needs a flair player to work alongside to add the attacking element to his teams.
Instead he has a defensive midfielder and a full back.
Derby fans view of Clem on 10:55 - Dec 5 with 3395 viewsjasper_T

Derby fans view of Clem on 06:30 - Dec 5 by PawelAbbott

I would think that Defensive shape and positioning is something that can be learnt from a book and training courses.
Attacking flair and invention can't. You either have it or you don't.
That is why Clement will never be able to coach players to attack fluidly and will instead just coach it out of players by forcing them to follow the defensive patterns.
There is no amount of time that the board can give him to overcome this.
He needs a flair player to work alongside to add the attacking element to his teams.
Instead he has a defensive midfielder and a full back.

Not all attacking is "flair and invention". Attacking shapes and patterns are just as important to team organisation as defensive ones.

Overlaps, overloads, setting up for flick ons, channel runs etc. are all things you can put down on paper, just like guides on how to pass with your instep.
Derby fans view of Clem on 11:01 - Dec 5 with 3385 viewsJFSwan

Great point made about Clements relying on talented forwards to make up for concentrating on defense.

Contrast to Rodgers who had the likes of Danny Graham making excellent runs and constructing attacking patterns
Derby fans view of Clem on 11:22 - Dec 5 with 3353 viewsjack247

Derby fans view of Clem on 11:01 - Dec 5 by JFSwan

Great point made about Clements relying on talented forwards to make up for concentrating on defense.

Contrast to Rodgers who had the likes of Danny Graham making excellent runs and constructing attacking patterns

Danny Graham was a very intelligent, hard working striker. He just didn’t have electric pace and wasn’t a brilliant finisher.

Not to say Rodgers wouldn’t get a lot more out of this team than Clement of course, he undoubtedly would.

Our attacking tactics seem to be get it to Bony and hope he does something clever.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024