Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
York 23:06 - Dec 8 with 7288 viewsdickythorpe

Bloody nice place. Worth a visit
York on 23:06 - Dec 9 with 4299 viewsDarran

York on 20:12 - Dec 9 by Private_Partz

That's an interesting one. I must have been having a pee in the bogs that made the North Bank ones look like the Ritz ;-)
Still I loved going there. They were always in financial trouble so a couple of quid went into the bucket at the little club house at the side of the away terrace.
After the match a stroll into town for a few in the lovely old pubs there.

Here you go Partzy me old mucker,it was this bloke.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Bradley_(actor)

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

York on 23:13 - Dec 9 with 4298 viewsPrivate_Partz

York on 23:06 - Dec 9 by Darran

Ah I recognise him. Done loads of stuff. Never been into the H Potter stuff myself.
I think we have an HP actor who regularly has a pint down the Pilot. Wonder if Max knows who it is. Will try and check the geezer out.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

York on 23:16 - Dec 9 with 4292 viewsDarran

York on 23:13 - Dec 9 by Private_Partz

Ah I recognise him. Done loads of stuff. Never been into the H Potter stuff myself.
I think we have an HP actor who regularly has a pint down the Pilot. Wonder if Max knows who it is. Will try and check the geezer out.

Thats not Robbie Coltrane mun it’s actually Max himself.

York on 23:18 - Dec 9 with 4296 viewsPrivate_Partz

York on 23:06 - Dec 9 by Darran

It's Robert Pugh and he was in Game of Thrones. Got that one a bit wrong. ;-)
Can't do links on here but he had been in loads of stuff and very recognisable.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

York on 23:24 - Dec 9 with 4287 viewsDarran

York on 23:18 - Dec 9 by Private_Partz

It's Robert Pugh and he was in Game of Thrones. Got that one a bit wrong. ;-)
Can't do links on here but he had been in loads of stuff and very recognisable.

Yeah I know him.

York on 11:15 - Dec 10 with 4227 viewsPrivate_Partz

York on 23:24 - Dec 9 by Darran

Yeah I know him.

You know everyone ;-)

York on 22:32 - Dec 10 with 4193 viewsNookiejack

I not religious but Evensong is worth attending at the Minster around 5pm each night.

The York Races are probably best in the country for the flat.
York on 09:42 - Dec 11 with 4157 viewssquarebear

No one mentioned the ghost walk yet? Shocking. It’s a great little tour on a dark evening and damned funny.
Login to get fewer ads

York on 17:45 - Dec 11 with 4118 viewsNookiejack

They have got a ‘Swan’ pub in York with a cracking range of real ales and pub next to it called the ‘The Slip’ is very good as well. Bishopthore Road on opposite side of river from the centre.
York on 12:44 - Dec 12 with 4068 viewsLegend83

Spent 3 wonderful years at York University - great place, great people, f*cking cold.
York on 15:13 - Dec 12 with 4051 viewsWxmJax

York on 20:05 - Dec 9 by Darran

Yes it was.
Another strange fact from that game is that there was an actor from the Harry Potter films there they introduced him at half time. No idea who he was never seen the films but I think he was from the York area.

David Bradley ? Fine actor, excellent in Our Friends In The North. Just don't look back in anger.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

York on 17:51 - Dec 12 with 4026 viewstaffpunk

Agree, lovely place, prefer to stay in Harrogate myself then go into York for the day on the train. Useless information-I bought a 'Cockney Rejects-Ready To Ruck' blue sweat shirt from Priestleys in York in 1980, it was a hard shop to find!

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

York on 19:10 - Dec 12 with 4014 viewssquarebear

Harrogate is certainly a top place. Mrs Bear often says how she’d like to live there.

I lived in York off and on for a few years and loved it, its climate (four distinct seasons), its culture, the people. The only real downside was the drunks. I might be wandering home from the shops on a Saturday afternoon and I’d have completely destroyed people lying across the pavement in front of me.

Great place, though. I miss it.
York on 21:49 - Dec 12 with 3993 viewsFieryJack

Harrogate?

I can see the attraction, but it's small-ness , & its day-tripper/conference crowd would wear me down after a while.

An evening pub crawl every 4 years is enough for me.

Plus, there are too many smug, loaded, Tory types there for my liking.

And an unpleasant dearth of people with Yorkshire accents, either because they're too posh to use such an accent, or they've migrated up from Surrey.

Stick to Bradford, Halifax and Huddersfield if you're ever up that way, is my advice.
York on 18:20 - Dec 13 with 3951 viewstaffpunk

York on 21:49 - Dec 12 by FieryJack

Harrogate?

I can see the attraction, but it's small-ness , & its day-tripper/conference crowd would wear me down after a while.

An evening pub crawl every 4 years is enough for me.

Plus, there are too many smug, loaded, Tory types there for my liking.

And an unpleasant dearth of people with Yorkshire accents, either because they're too posh to use such an accent, or they've migrated up from Surrey.

Stick to Bradford, Halifax and Huddersfield if you're ever up that way, is my advice.

Thank you for those wise words Mark E Smith, I wonder if you can refund me my money from the Cardiff Uni gig in the early 80's when you were without doubt the worst band I've seen in my life. I believe it was £2.50 entry, I can supply my paypal details, cheers in advance.

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

York on 18:45 - Dec 13 with 3936 viewswhoflungdung

Bradford has been a magnificent city. Saltaire and Shipley ,to the north still are

Hudds great town too. Simple down to earth folk . Halifax reminds me of Speedway at the Shay and Kenny Carter

Poll: Is it Spa or spa

York on 19:36 - Dec 13 with 3917 viewsFieryJack

York on 18:20 - Dec 13 by taffpunk

Thank you for those wise words Mark E Smith, I wonder if you can refund me my money from the Cardiff Uni gig in the early 80's when you were without doubt the worst band I've seen in my life. I believe it was £2.50 entry, I can supply my paypal details, cheers in advance.

Sorry, pal, I just spent my last £2.50 on a pint of mild in a back street Salford boozer. Any chance you can sub me a tenner - electronically, like?

Seriously though, your post made me laugh. Never a good idea to go to a Fall gig unless you're a fan.

Saw them myself in Cardiff in the mid Eighties in a place called, I think, the Ocean club.

Fell over in the car park after stupidly downing half a bottle of vodka on the train over from Swansea. The evening ended with a bewildering wander around Splott & a visit to the Royal Infirmary.

Bad old days!
York on 21:09 - Dec 13 with 3901 viewsFieryJack

York on 18:45 - Dec 13 by whoflungdung

Bradford has been a magnificent city. Saltaire and Shipley ,to the north still are

Hudds great town too. Simple down to earth folk . Halifax reminds me of Speedway at the Shay and Kenny Carter

Some sensible observations there, Perch.
York on 08:58 - Dec 14 with 3859 viewssquarebear

It’s funny. My recollections of both Halifax and Huddersfield is of them being dog rough. Though perhaps that has everything to do with the age I was when I was there. Huddersfield the weather always seemed endlessly grey and bleak, much like the landscape in winter. It was where we spent the whole time being set upon by home fans. Halifax was where, after a night on the ale, we’d be making our way to get the bus back to Ripponden and there’d be a line of Asian lads stretched across the width of the road trying to have a swing at us as we’d run past. It was like Ultimate British Bulldogs. Give me genteel North Yorkshire over that please.
York on 16:27 - Dec 14 with 3837 viewsFieryJack

York on 08:58 - Dec 14 by squarebear

It’s funny. My recollections of both Halifax and Huddersfield is of them being dog rough. Though perhaps that has everything to do with the age I was when I was there. Huddersfield the weather always seemed endlessly grey and bleak, much like the landscape in winter. It was where we spent the whole time being set upon by home fans. Halifax was where, after a night on the ale, we’d be making our way to get the bus back to Ripponden and there’d be a line of Asian lads stretched across the width of the road trying to have a swing at us as we’d run past. It was like Ultimate British Bulldogs. Give me genteel North Yorkshire over that please.

Those Halifax memories sound pretty bloody grim.

Don't think its as bad as that now.

It can be "grey and bleak" in the winter - but if it rains for 8 or 9 hours in one day, people start complaining, and I always tell them they need to get a taste of Swansea weather, where 3 days and nights of continuous rain is common at this time of year!

Nice place, Ripponden.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024