Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
More AMs anyone? 13:44 - Dec 12 with 3403 viewsPrivate_Partz

Who is the ' expert' Laura Mcallister who thinks we should have 50 % more AMs in. Cardiff Bay at a cost of £10m per annum?
This is a scandal when we also have 22 Local Authorities sitting below them. All this for a population of just 3m.
Less LAs and an Assembley that actually gave a toss about the rest of Wales and I might say the have an argument. Apparently some AMs have to sit on 3 committees at the moment .....awwwww.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

More AMs anyone? on 15:15 - Dec 13 with 922 viewstrampie

More AMs anyone? on 15:09 - Dec 13 by sP7qupUf

Spot on. I am a fluent Welsh speaker and my children both went to Welsh medium schools. I'm not anti-Welsh by any stretch of the imagination but in a time of limited resources I find it difficult to accept the amount of money spent on the Welsh language when education, health and economic infrastructure are in need of significant investment.

With regard to other countries, it is likely that their second language is one of international significance such as English, Spanish, Mandarin, French etc. These are international business languages which is not the case with Welsh

We don't spend much money on the language as a percentage of budget.
Raise taxes on those that can afford it if we want to generate more money for health and education.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

More AMs anyone? on 15:15 - Dec 13 with 922 viewsJack59

More AMs anyone? on 09:55 - Dec 13 by LeonWasGod

Benefits of bilingualism are pretty widely acknowledged:

https://bilingualkidspot.com/2017/05/23/benefits-of-being-bilingual/

It's not bilingualism that concerns me it's the cost of it, particularly when it's obvious to anyone that despite the financial investment over the last 25 years, usage of the language continues to decline whatever happens.

There is however, the choice of a more obvious benefit - saving lives.

The worrying thing is that we've got so used to money being poured down the drain, most people can't see the stupidity of this expenditure.
More AMs anyone? on 15:22 - Dec 13 with 917 viewstrampie

More AMs anyone? on 15:15 - Dec 13 by Jack59

It's not bilingualism that concerns me it's the cost of it, particularly when it's obvious to anyone that despite the financial investment over the last 25 years, usage of the language continues to decline whatever happens.

The worrying thing is that we've got so used to money being poured down the drain, most people can't see the stupidity of this expenditure.

Raise taxes to save lives then and still have parks, libraries, swimming pools, day centres for the elderly and some money put into cultural initiatives.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

More AMs anyone? on 15:30 - Dec 13 with 913 viewsJack59

More AMs anyone? on 15:15 - Dec 13 by trampie

We don't spend much money on the language as a percentage of budget.
Raise taxes on those that can afford it if we want to generate more money for health and education.

If the full cost were known, and establishing that figure would be one hell of a task, because elements of cost will be found in every single budget, people would be shocked.

But I can tell you that over 15 years ago S4C was getting over £100 million a year, and that was a small part of the total cost then.
It just goes to show what a few noisy people from North Wales can achieve. maybe we should have given then the job of negotiating with Europe over Brexit.
More AMs anyone? on 15:37 - Dec 13 with 898 viewstrampie

More AMs anyone? on 15:30 - Dec 13 by Jack59

If the full cost were known, and establishing that figure would be one hell of a task, because elements of cost will be found in every single budget, people would be shocked.

But I can tell you that over 15 years ago S4C was getting over £100 million a year, and that was a small part of the total cost then.
It just goes to show what a few noisy people from North Wales can achieve. maybe we should have given then the job of negotiating with Europe over Brexit.

S4C gets £74.5M and you get live Welsh Prem footie and Pro14 games for that, great value.

More AMs anyone? on 16:01 - Dec 13 with 882 viewsScotia

Spot on. I am a fluent Welsh speaker and my children both went to Welsh medium schools. I'm not anti-Welsh by any stretch of the imagination but in a time of limited resources I find it difficult to accept the amount of money spent on the Welsh language when education, health and economic infrastructure are in need of significant investment.

With regard to other countries, it is likely that their second language is one of international significance such as English, Spanish, Mandarin, French etc. These are international business languages which is not the case with Welsh

I couldn't agree more. I'm not anti language but the hidden costs are eye watering.

Most of the time it is a complete waste because the services provided are not used.

For example, public bodies in Wales have to provide a service in Welsh if required. I cover Ceredigion and Carmarthenshire, Welsh correspondence has been requested from me a handful of times in 17 years. Complying by these standards costs an average of about £500k per public body. There are 80 such bodies in Wales = £40 million pound direct costs, for a service that isn't used.

To do this we have to employ 25% minimum fluent Welsh speakers. We have employed people to do jobs they are not capable of because they have to come from this tiny population. We have senior managers earning around £70k of taxpayers money, in charge of spending even more taxpayers money who are completely and utterly incompetent. It's impossible to calculate these costs, but they must be substantial.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2017 17:36]
More AMs anyone? on 16:33 - Dec 13 with 870 viewstrampie

More AMs anyone? on 16:01 - Dec 13 by Scotia

I couldn't agree more. I'm not anti language but the hidden costs are eye watering.

Most of the time it is a complete waste because the services provided are not used.

For example, public bodies in Wales have to provide a service in Welsh if required. I cover Ceredigion and Carmarthenshire, Welsh correspondence has been requested from me a handful of times in 17 years. Complying by these standards costs an average of about £500k per public body. There are 80 such bodies in Wales = £40 million pound direct costs, for a service that isn't used.

To do this we have to employ 25% minimum fluent Welsh speakers. We have employed people to do jobs they are not capable of because they have to come from this tiny population. We have senior managers earning around £70k of taxpayers money, in charge of spending even more taxpayers money who are completely and utterly incompetent. It's impossible to calculate these costs, but they must be substantial.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2017 17:36]

And the reason why ?

There is a reason why isn't there ?

More AMs anyone? on 17:06 - Dec 13 with 856 viewsKilkennyjack

More AMs anyone? on 15:15 - Dec 13 by Jack59

Tell you what, save real big money by....

Scrapping the following to ‘save lives’.....

Scrap Brexit
Scrap trident
Scrap East Coast rail
Scrap the Royals
Scrap the unelected House of Lords
Scrap Cross Rail
Scrap Heathrow expansion
Scrap universal credit
Stop tax evasion
Stop illegal wars

And keep the pittance we need to spend to keep the welsh language alive.

See you can have good health care and the old language 👍

Btw the welsh language is very strong in the under 30 age groups 👍
[Post edited 13 Dec 2017 17:07]

Beware of the Risen People

Login to get fewer ads

More AMs anyone? on 17:14 - Dec 13 with 849 viewsKilkennyjack

On the second language question.....

In reality English is the real business language of the modern internet world.

The rest - say, the likes of Poland, Sweden, Finland, Hungarian, Italian, Serb, russian, even india (x many) and china (x many) use their own languages locally. Just like Wales and Ireland. Its normal to have 2 languages.

Please keep wales normal.

Beware of the Risen People

More AMs anyone? on 17:31 - Dec 13 with 835 viewsScotia

More AMs anyone? on 16:33 - Dec 13 by trampie

And the reason why ?

There is a reason why isn't there ?

Why?

Because our incompetent AM's produce useless legislation and because they are trying to force a language on a country that is happy for it to remain a novelty.
More AMs anyone? on 18:22 - Dec 13 with 822 viewsJack_Meoff

More AMs anyone? on 15:22 - Dec 13 by trampie

Raise taxes to save lives then and still have parks, libraries, swimming pools, day centres for the elderly and some money put into cultural initiatives.

And of course we’d have some money left over for unicorns and rainbows too.

We’ve not got taxation powers in Wales and the sole purpose of the criminals in Westminster is to launder as much tax money as possible into private hands, as well as fund the geopolitical interests of international finance.

Raising taxes isn’t the answer, it’s addressing what’s done with it.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2017 18:23]

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

More AMs anyone? on 19:23 - Dec 13 with 801 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

More politicians that's the answer!

FFS

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024