Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What can we realistically do? 05:02 - Dec 27 with 4372 viewsEU5Makaveli

I'm hearing a lot of Brilliant ideas about boycotts, walkouts etc. but what are we actually going to achieve? These days 60% of the liberty stadium are just there for the sake of it.

I know for a fact that over the last 7 years we have lost 50% of our core support due to rising ticket prices and plastic supporters (who will thankfully be gone come relegation) occupying the seats.

The atmosphere at the liberty is dead and it's embarrassing! You only have to look at clubs in the Championship which put us to shame.. Sheffield Wednesday for example. (YouTube it)

Yes there are many clubs such as ourselves where the atmosphere is dying, but up until the last 3/4 years we have always been praised for our support and the atmosphere we as a fan base are able to generate, but I suppose it's easy to show support to a team on the up rather than a team in decline, and that's what hurts me the most.

With these new owners, the disagreements and poor perfermances, it's horrible to realise this club is only heading one way.

Divided we stand and united we fall.. the fans, board, yanks and players
What can we realistically do? on 07:29 - Dec 27 with 3609 viewsSTID2017

"Our core support"
From the mid sixties until we moved into the Liberty (basically the last forty years) bar a few years in the Tosh era our core support was 2 - 3 thousand supporters.
So if all those who have come since stop going, we can all huddle together in the middle of the East Stand.
To say " I know for a fact ... lost 50% of our core support" is nonsense.
Of the 18,000 that have filled the home seats for the last seven years how many donyou know to speak to ?
Of the supportees frozen out or put of by "plastic supporters" how many do you know ?
100 or so maybe?
I appreciate you are angry as we all are at what is happening to our club, but the reason the atmosphere is dead is the poor quality football and lack of ambition the last three years.
The majority of our 18k are the same ones who watched us in 2011 and created a great atmosphere in some games.
You compared us to Sheffield Wednesday - if they moved into a soulless bowl, instead of still being in their traditional home, would the atmosphere be the same.
West Ham at Upton Park was always a cauldron to go to. The same fans at the new stadium, yet no atmosphere.
The reason I have taken umbridge is for many years I worked down the Vetch and the Liberty and only had a season ticket since 2011.
However I have followed the club home and away since before we were re-elected and for most of that period (apart from 1981) never had to buy a ST to ensure my place.
I have renewed for next season come what may, yet as I only bought a ST in 2011 am I plastic?
What defines a "plastic supporter"? How do you define a "core supporter" ? Does one have to attend a certain number of games in certain divisions? Maybe attend a minimum quantity of away games ?
In short your empassioned post is no doubt heartfelt and I understand how you feel, but what gives any supporter the right to call another plastic?

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

What can we realistically do? on 08:01 - Dec 27 with 3566 viewsbarry_island

The program would make a good squadron of paper planes to entertain the Sky cameras next Tuesday.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2017 8:04]

Swansea City, THE Austerity Club.

What can we realistically do? on 10:22 - Dec 27 with 3406 viewsJackFish

As much as Jenkins and co. shouldn't be anywhere near the club any more, if that does happen we're just going to have some clueless hedge fund member fronting up the consortium - that'll probably make things even worse. Until we find someone with £100m lying around who wants to buy the club and run it for the good of the club instead of making money out of it, this is how things are going to be.
What can we realistically do? on 10:50 - Dec 27 with 3360 viewsmonmouth

What can we realistically do? on 10:22 - Dec 27 by JackFish

As much as Jenkins and co. shouldn't be anywhere near the club any more, if that does happen we're just going to have some clueless hedge fund member fronting up the consortium - that'll probably make things even worse. Until we find someone with £100m lying around who wants to buy the club and run it for the good of the club instead of making money out of it, this is how things are going to be.

I suppose we could win at Watford, that would cheer everyone up.

Everything else except what the Trust chooses to do is just noise. The supporters future in this club is in the hands of the current Trust Board. I hope they realise the momentousness of their position now. It's not a little game about winning a debate.

And..it's no longer about statues, raffles, speaking welsh, visiting schools, ticket prices, or 'serving' the community. So if those people that are there to do those things can't contribute - and they can't - just shut up and listen to the ones that can.

This is IT. The only thing that matters, The whole future of the proud model that we built that we thought would endure and Jenkins and the rest stitched up and threw away for personal gain.

Protests are pointless really. What are we protesting about? We have a shit team and shit owners? Join the club, there are many. Fans protesting did Villa, Leeds, Blackburn and the rest a lot of good. At least Ayew will feel at home. Two sets of fans calling him out as a shithouse.

I really want to see Jenkins (and the fat man, and the ugly man, and Dutchie Van W*nk) publicly slaughtered and his reputation totally trashed, so that he is seen for what he is, but that's just a bit of visceral human revenge, as it's not really going to help the football club, other than getting, as Mr Fish says, someone else chosen by clueless finance pricks to front more of the same.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

What can we realistically do? on 10:55 - Dec 27 with 3332 viewswhoflungdung

Stand up.

Stay awake

Shout derision

Poll: Is it Spa or spa

What can we realistically do? on 11:11 - Dec 27 with 3267 viewsEU5Makaveli

In short - a core supporter is one who has been there since the vetch days and would continue to turn up every week if we were to fall down the leagues.
Where as a plastic supporter is one who comes for the day out and should the we fall down the leagues would simply find another way to spend their Saturday afternoons.

Of the younger generation of fans (18-35) we have easily lost 50 % of our fan base. No doubt about it.
What can we realistically do? on 11:15 - Dec 27 with 3245 viewsPacemaker

I'm hearing a lot of Brilliant ideas about boycotts, walkouts etc. but what are we actually going to achieve? These days 60% of the liberty stadium are just there for the sake of it.

Isn't that the same of virtually every other club, most people go because that's what they do on a Saturday( or any one of the days that football is now played on?

I know for a fact that over the last 7 years we have lost 50% of our core support due to rising ticket prices and plastic supporters (who will thankfully be gone come relegation) occupying the seats.

Not had a ST rise since promotion as far as I am aware and match day tickets are no different to most clubs and cheaper than most. One of the things that will happen when we are relegated is that tickets will become easier to obtain and be bought cheaper through schemes to keep turnover up.

The atmosphere at the liberty is dead and it's embarrassing! You only have to look at clubs in the Championship which put us to shame.. Sheffield Wednesday for example. (YouTube it) When you are playing shit and have done for years then atmosphere is difficult to rise. Except a toxic one when things get worse.

Yes there are many clubs such as ourselves where the atmosphere is dying, but up until the last 3/4 years we have always been praised for our support and the atmosphere we as a fan base are able to generate, but I suppose it's easy to show support to a team on the up rather than a team in decline, and that's what hurts me the most.

With these new owners, the disagreements and poor perfermances, it's horrible to realise this club is only heading one way.

It has been this way since the Jenkins / Tumulu in 2013 fall out where we all supported HJ stance but that now looks like the start of HJ deciding he knows best at alll times......which has turned out to be a very false dawn.

As a fan base we need to accept that things will never be the same as the golden period of the last 15 years or so where we felt an integral part of the club. When in reality we were just another bunch of customers for a company seeking profit.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2017 11:36]

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

What can we realistically do? on 16:15 - Dec 27 with 3060 viewsEU5Makaveli

What can we realistically do? on 11:15 - Dec 27 by Pacemaker

Isn't that the same of virtually every other club, most people go because that's what they do on a Saturday( or any one of the days that football is now played on?

Not had a ST rise since promotion as far as I am aware and match day tickets are no different to most clubs and cheaper than most. One of the things that will happen when we are relegated is that tickets will become easier to obtain and be bought cheaper through schemes to keep turnover up.

The atmosphere at the liberty is dead and it's embarrassing! You only have to look at clubs in the Championship which put us to shame.. Sheffield Wednesday for example. (YouTube it) When you are playing shit and have done for years then atmosphere is difficult to rise. Except a toxic one when things get worse.

It has been this way since the Jenkins / Tumulu in 2013 fall out where we all supported HJ stance but that now looks like the start of HJ deciding he knows best at alll times......which has turned out to be a very false dawn.

As a fan base we need to accept that things will never be the same as the golden period of the last 15 years or so where we felt an integral part of the club. When in reality we were just another bunch of customers for a company seeking profit.

Good post. I agree with everything you've added.
Login to get fewer ads

What can we realistically do? on 16:42 - Dec 27 with 2940 viewscostalotta

What can we realistically do? on 11:15 - Dec 27 by Pacemaker

'It has been this way since the Jenkins / Tumulu in 2013 fall out where we all supported HJ stance but that now looks like the start of HJ deciding he knows best at alll times......which has turned out to be a very false dawn.'

That wasn't a false dawn, The fans backed the wrong horse, it was the wrong call!
What can we realistically do? on 16:48 - Dec 27 with 2913 viewsQJumpingJack

We need a Kev Johns type character to lead the protest.
I am assuming that as Kev works for the club then he cannot take part in any activity to help the supporters.
What can we realistically do? on 17:27 - Dec 27 with 2792 viewsYossarian

Campaign to ensure the Council pull out of the sale of the Liberty Stadium. We need to ensure we have something left when these locusts have flown off to plunder somewhere else.

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

What can we realistically do? on 17:47 - Dec 27 with 2737 viewsSwanseajill

What can we realistically do? on 17:27 - Dec 27 by Yossarian

Campaign to ensure the Council pull out of the sale of the Liberty Stadium. We need to ensure we have something left when these locusts have flown off to plunder somewhere else.

Something I've been saying for a while. It will be an excercise to create more collateral for the hedge fund gang.

And Monmouth is correct, 21% of shares are our best chance of making a difference to what happens to this club.

From the start, doing a deal in secret put me on edge knowing that nothing good would come of this.

I fear for the club, and going into the championship could be the least of our worries. Shame on the sellers for making a fast buck with no thought of the consequences
What can we realistically do? on 18:00 - Dec 27 with 2698 viewsjackrabbit

What can we realistically do? on 07:29 - Dec 27 by STID2017

"Our core support"
From the mid sixties until we moved into the Liberty (basically the last forty years) bar a few years in the Tosh era our core support was 2 - 3 thousand supporters.
So if all those who have come since stop going, we can all huddle together in the middle of the East Stand.
To say " I know for a fact ... lost 50% of our core support" is nonsense.
Of the 18,000 that have filled the home seats for the last seven years how many donyou know to speak to ?
Of the supportees frozen out or put of by "plastic supporters" how many do you know ?
100 or so maybe?
I appreciate you are angry as we all are at what is happening to our club, but the reason the atmosphere is dead is the poor quality football and lack of ambition the last three years.
The majority of our 18k are the same ones who watched us in 2011 and created a great atmosphere in some games.
You compared us to Sheffield Wednesday - if they moved into a soulless bowl, instead of still being in their traditional home, would the atmosphere be the same.
West Ham at Upton Park was always a cauldron to go to. The same fans at the new stadium, yet no atmosphere.
The reason I have taken umbridge is for many years I worked down the Vetch and the Liberty and only had a season ticket since 2011.
However I have followed the club home and away since before we were re-elected and for most of that period (apart from 1981) never had to buy a ST to ensure my place.
I have renewed for next season come what may, yet as I only bought a ST in 2011 am I plastic?
What defines a "plastic supporter"? How do you define a "core supporter" ? Does one have to attend a certain number of games in certain divisions? Maybe attend a minimum quantity of away games ?
In short your empassioned post is no doubt heartfelt and I understand how you feel, but what gives any supporter the right to call another plastic?

Well said. Spot on. I get so bored about fans labelling other fans as 'plastic'. I'm old. I saw my first Swans game (v Huddersfield in Oct 1962). I was at Anfield in 1964 when Swans beat Liverpool 2-1 in the FA Cup 6th round. I was at Deepdale in 1981 to see us go up to the First Division and I was at Wembley in 2011 to see us go up to the Premier League. Since then I have had a season ticket and a JA membership. The last game I attended was the defeat to Leicester in October. I will go to no more games home or away this season unless there is positive change in January. I live in London and for me a game at the Liberty is a 6 hour round trip (5 hours one-way in October) and over £100 expense on petrol, hotel and meals. And for what? To watch a seriously deficient depleted team trying to hold their own against superior opposition? 'Superior opposition ' means the other 19 PL teams - we are by far the worst team in the league.

The sad fact is that with a half decent team we could easily pull clear because there are some weak sides in the bottom half of the table and we're not yet totally cut adrift. So I wait to see what transpires in January to determine if I will see another game this season. Otherwise I've wasted several hundred pounds. I will not make the same mistake next season. If that makes me a 'plastic' then so be it
What can we realistically do? on 18:01 - Dec 27 with 2697 viewsGowerjack

Join the trust.

Lobby for a revote on taking legal action.

So that if we win we will at least have some kind of war chest to start again.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

What can we realistically do? on 18:11 - Dec 27 with 2659 viewsSwanseajill

From experience all fans must sing from the same hymn book. It's difficult for different fan groups to get everyone onboard.

Meaning, the Trust, SCSC, the union, the organisers running the buses, and the Vice Presidents. Everyone must be involved, otherwise we may as well send up smoke signals from Kilvay hill.
What can we realistically do? on 18:15 - Dec 27 with 2636 viewsbermudajack

What can we realistically do? on 18:11 - Dec 27 by Swanseajill

From experience all fans must sing from the same hymn book. It's difficult for different fan groups to get everyone onboard.

Meaning, the Trust, SCSC, the union, the organisers running the buses, and the Vice Presidents. Everyone must be involved, otherwise we may as well send up smoke signals from Kilvay hill.

A mass demonstration led by all of the supporters groups would be a show of force....and a start

The problem is too many don’t care enough or can’t be bothered enough to act...

Isn’t this the very reason the Trust exists? Giving a voice to the fans? Shouldn’t they be leading the way you n this?

Yet they sit in the dark rubbing their hands at the thought of money for shares...

Poll: Priority for new manager?

What can we realistically do? on 18:19 - Dec 27 with 2624 viewslonglostjack

What can we realistically do? on 18:11 - Dec 27 by Swanseajill

Top post. No point one group trying to outscore another. All need to talk to each other. Having said that, for the moment I see the Holy Trinity of the progressive members of the Trust Board following all legal avenues, SCSC doing the media / PR work and the Union organising the actual fan protests. You are absolutely right - they all need to be talking to each other - and the fans.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2017 18:22]

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

What can we realistically do? on 18:25 - Dec 27 with 2596 viewsYossarian

What can we realistically do? on 17:47 - Dec 27 by Swanseajill

Something I've been saying for a while. It will be an excercise to create more collateral for the hedge fund gang.

And Monmouth is correct, 21% of shares are our best chance of making a difference to what happens to this club.

From the start, doing a deal in secret put me on edge knowing that nothing good would come of this.

I fear for the club, and going into the championship could be the least of our worries. Shame on the sellers for making a fast buck with no thought of the consequences

Jill,
It’s strange no one appears to be picking up on this as the Council could effectively determine the longer term future of the club by denying the Yanks the opportunity to bolster the saleability of their asset. If the Council stopped this, I would be confident that they’d decide to get out as they would be very limited in terms of enhancing their asset- success in the PL has gone and so what would be left for them?

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

What can we realistically do? on 18:28 - Dec 27 with 2579 viewsmonmouth

What can we realistically do? on 18:19 - Dec 27 by longlostjack

Top post. No point one group trying to outscore another. All need to talk to each other. Having said that, for the moment I see the Holy Trinity of the progressive members of the Trust Board following all legal avenues, SCSC doing the media / PR work and the Union organising the actual fan protests. You are absolutely right - they all need to be talking to each other - and the fans.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2017 18:22]

Only the Trust matters at the moment, and it’s choc full of people with no competence on the only decision it really needs to consider. That’s where all our attention should be just now. Public hangings are less important for a month.

What can we realistically do? on 18:30 - Dec 27 with 2574 viewsFlashberryjack

What can we realistically do? on 17:27 - Dec 27 by Yossarian

Absolutely...this deal must not go through.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

What can we realistically do? on 18:41 - Dec 27 with 2523 viewsgetcarter

SUPPORT THE TEAM
What can we realistically do? on 18:43 - Dec 27 with 2513 viewsmonmouth

What can we realistically do? on 18:30 - Dec 27 by Flashberryjack

Absolutely...this deal must not go through.

I thought it had gone through?

What can we realistically do? on 18:49 - Dec 27 with 2484 viewslonglostjack

What can we realistically do? on 18:28 - Dec 27 by monmouth

Only the Trust matters at the moment, and it’s choc full of people with no competence on the only decision it really needs to consider. That’s where all our attention should be just now. Public hangings are less important for a month.

I'm still convinced that some of those people on the Trust Board with no competence can be convinced before it's too late - either from the inside or outside. Ever the optimist me.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

What can we realistically do? on 18:51 - Dec 27 with 2478 viewsskettyparkherbert

What can we realistically do? on 18:43 - Dec 27 by monmouth

I thought it had gone through?

It has, 37 year lease @ £300k a year and the council get 10% of any future stadium naming rights.

Plus the Swans have agreed to build 2 x 4G pitches every 5 years.

The Council has also given planning for stadium expansion, much better ideal for council tax payers
What can we realistically do? on 18:55 - Dec 27 with 2454 viewsSwanseajill

What can we realistically do? on 18:15 - Dec 27 by bermudajack

A mass demonstration led by all of the supporters groups would be a show of force....and a start

The problem is too many don’t care enough or can’t be bothered enough to act...

Isn’t this the very reason the Trust exists? Giving a voice to the fans? Shouldn’t they be leading the way you n this?

Yet they sit in the dark rubbing their hands at the thought of money for shares...

Well if you consider the fan base we have, and the amount of fans that once the £10 it cost to join was not included in the season ticket cost ...they, couldn't be bothered to stump up £10.
Then you may be right. That fans don't care....enough.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024