Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I don't think the team is underperforming 12:50 - Dec 27 with 1644 viewsBarrySwan

Unfortunately I think that they are just about playing up to their combined abilities and standard.

I was dreading yesterdays game knowing full well that it was going to be a 4, 5 or 6 goal thrashing even before the kick off ( no I didn't put a correct score bet on to back my judgement )

But I'm sure just like many supporters I just look at the team list before a game and shudder, theres not so much as one game changer or match winner in the entire squad, like others, I vainly search the list of names on the bench for a glimmer of light and shudder even more.

I don't think that I've ever seen a squad so lacking in the ability required for the league that they're in since I watched the original division 4 death throes of Newport County where the unfortunate manager would find a couple of his players sold midweek and have to replace them on the Saturday with members of the youth team who clearly were lambs to the slaughter.

Virtually none of the Swans current players are premier division standard and the one or two who could possibly fit into a reasonable squad as an injury cover makeshift rather than a match winner aren't capable of making a scrap of difference in such a poor squad as ours.

Before Laudrup started to dismantle the so called Swansea way ( and I'm not suggesting that change wasn't required as teams had got our measure), a task completed by Monk, at least very ordinary players could slot into a system where the sum total of the team would outperform the lack of individual talent contained therein. Even then a match winner or two was needed to finish the job on a Saturday afternoon.

Watching that shambles yesterday was extremely sobering, as Swansea player after player seemed inacapable of passing 15 yards to their own teammates, it's not even worth pinpointing players names as virtually all of them seemed totally lacking in the very basic skills required of any professional footballer never mind one trying to make an impression in the Premier league.

Ball after ball just given away or aimlessly hacked forward with no credible chance of a team mate ever getting anywhere near it.

Liverpool might well have just been coasting, knowing full well that given a full 90 minutes they couldn't fail to pile up a score but they were no great shakes in the first half ( apart from a stunning strike). I think that they were possibly fairly relaxed in knowing that they only had to stroll around the pitch and shortly a Swans defender or midfielder would just pass the ball straight to them.

Some of the decision making by the passers was truly staggering as telegraphed underhit pass after pass was safely completed to an opposition player

I'm sure that like with every managerial sacking it is hoped that a new manager will stroll in perform a miracle and immediately uplift a struggling team, but I'm at a total loss at to how this can occur looking at the pile of dross currently described as the first team squad that any new manager will inherit.

The very best that a new manger can surely achieve is to organise a pile of dross into a fairly tight defensive unit with no attacking threat or goalscoring ability whatsoever.I suppose Clement almost did this but ultimately failed because a team will always get relegated if it isn't able to score in order to pick up enough 3 points to survive.
I don't think the team is underperforming on 13:36 - Dec 27 with 1574 viewsdobjack2

It’s pretty much last seasons team but without Gylfi and Llorente.

The only regular attacking threat we had then was to play for set pieces and it worked.

The hope was that given funds we could be more of a football team this season. It was clear that gylfi and Llorente would be off but many were concerned what we would do to replace them.

The gamble on loanee youngsters untested at this level (Abraham and a confidence shot Sanches), waiting until the last second to sign Bony when he really needed a good pre-season and the terrible signings of Mesa and Clucas have not improved the slow, uncreative uncombative midfield from last season or provided a goal threat.

If a team scores against us, which most of them do, they fancy themselves to beat us.
I don't think the team is underperforming on 13:44 - Dec 27 with 1542 viewsJackFish

You're probably right to be honest. The football under Clement was mind-numbingly boring, but I'm not sure anyone could get this lot playing at a decent standard. My dad said to me yesterday when he saw the team "bloody hell, Fer and Routledge are playing, we're going to get thrashed". And I agreed, but the problem is the only replacements were Clucas, Sanches and Narsingh, none of whom are any good either.

Five points isn't a huge gap to make up if we had some genuinely good players in the squad, or the option to bring some in, but other than Bony I'm struggling to see who's going to score for us. The failure to even try to replace Sigurdsson in the summer was criminal. Even more so if the replacement was supposed to be Clucas. The team we put out yesterday had THREE goals between them this season. With over half the season gone. Embarrassing really.
I don't think the team is underperforming on 13:46 - Dec 27 with 1533 viewsdameedna

We simply played a naive game. Dropped a few players and did not take the chance to go 5 at the back and play Fulton or Clucas. A few players had shockers namely Ayew and Fer. Mesa made his usual error but got away with it. Good on Fernandez for not accepting that. Naughton made some bang average forward passes. Routs I thought had a solid game. Liverpool must have been pleasantly surprised with their Christmas gift.
I don't think the team is underperforming on 13:48 - Dec 27 with 1528 viewsBarrySwan

I don't think the team is underperforming on 13:46 - Dec 27 by dameedna

We simply played a naive game. Dropped a few players and did not take the chance to go 5 at the back and play Fulton or Clucas. A few players had shockers namely Ayew and Fer. Mesa made his usual error but got away with it. Good on Fernandez for not accepting that. Naughton made some bang average forward passes. Routs I thought had a solid game. Liverpool must have been pleasantly surprised with their Christmas gift.

Bang average passes?

Naughton should never play professional football again after his contribution yesterday.
I don't think the team is underperforming on 13:58 - Dec 27 with 1489 viewsShaky

i thought Clement's last game at Everton was encouraging.

Squad looked motivated and ran for each other, and he was employing the most attacking set up i think I have seen. All the more surprising, given he looked a beaten man in October.

That kind of performance doesn't happen in the sort of dire league position the club is in unless there is some genuine belief in the squad.

But then there was quite clearly a collective case of squeaky bums among the higher ups and he was kicked out. In a situation where there were admittedly no good options, the timing was certainly not ideal.

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

I don't think the team is underperforming on 14:09 - Dec 27 with 1453 viewsdobjack2

I don't think the team is underperforming on 13:58 - Dec 27 by Shaky

i thought Clement's last game at Everton was encouraging.

Squad looked motivated and ran for each other, and he was employing the most attacking set up i think I have seen. All the more surprising, given he looked a beaten man in October.

That kind of performance doesn't happen in the sort of dire league position the club is in unless there is some genuine belief in the squad.

But then there was quite clearly a collective case of squeaky bums among the higher ups and he was kicked out. In a situation where there were admittedly no good options, the timing was certainly not ideal.

Not ideal for who though?

Perfect for our recruitment team who won’t have a pesky manager/coach interfering with their work and telling them what he wants.

It’ll be take it or leave it for the new guy - Groundhog Day
I don't think the team is underperforming on 14:58 - Dec 27 with 1394 viewsPrivate_Partz

Agree with other most of that but you say ML started to break up the Swansea away of Playing?? He actually enhanced it. You obviously missed those speeded up passing sequences that MOTD used to do when reviewing us. We passed teams to death before hitting them with pace and power when that gap appeared.
I agree on the team though. I don't think they are not trying. The squad is just not good enough.
Just look historically at all those expert punters laying into players for not trying when they are down the bottom of the league . It happens Year on year.
The truth is they are shot of confidence and this gives the appearance of not trying. It affects players in varying degrees and Ayew is affected by this more than most.
There is only one man to blame. We need a recruitment team that actually recignises where the squad needs strengthening and have the ability to source players to achieve that.
We most certainly don't have that ability now. Just an arrogant, incompetent man who thinks the sun shines out of his own rear end.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

I don't think the team is underperforming on 15:09 - Dec 27 with 1375 viewsBarrySwan

I don't think the team is underperforming on 14:58 - Dec 27 by Private_Partz

Agree with other most of that but you say ML started to break up the Swansea away of Playing?? He actually enhanced it. You obviously missed those speeded up passing sequences that MOTD used to do when reviewing us. We passed teams to death before hitting them with pace and power when that gap appeared.
I agree on the team though. I don't think they are not trying. The squad is just not good enough.
Just look historically at all those expert punters laying into players for not trying when they are down the bottom of the league . It happens Year on year.
The truth is they are shot of confidence and this gives the appearance of not trying. It affects players in varying degrees and Ayew is affected by this more than most.
There is only one man to blame. We need a recruitment team that actually recignises where the squad needs strengthening and have the ability to source players to achieve that.
We most certainly don't have that ability now. Just an arrogant, incompetent man who thinks the sun shines out of his own rear end.

Agree with other most of that but you say ML started to break up the Swansea away of Playing?? He actually enhanced it. You obviously missed those speeded up passing sequences that MOTD used to do when reviewing us.

No I didn't.
Login to get fewer ads

I don't think the team is underperforming on 16:03 - Dec 27 with 1303 viewsJoe_bradshaw

There's a big difference between ML slightly changing the style to passing with purpose from passing in order to rest under BR, and Monk's subsequent change to passing as far up the pitch as quickly as possible.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

I don't think the team is underperforming on 16:04 - Dec 27 with 1299 viewsPrivate_Partz

I don't think the team is underperforming on 15:09 - Dec 27 by BarrySwan

Agree with other most of that but you say ML started to break up the Swansea away of Playing?? He actually enhanced it. You obviously missed those speeded up passing sequences that MOTD used to do when reviewing us.

No I didn't.

Agree to disagree on that one then. For me ML carried on developing us as a team. A project started by Martinez and Rodgers. There was no erosion of principles or style.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

I don't think the team is underperforming on 16:08 - Dec 27 with 1284 viewsOldjack

THIS TEAM WOULD STRUGGLE IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP NO MATTER WHO'S IN CHARGE

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

I don't think the team is underperforming on 17:38 - Dec 27 with 1130 viewsskettyparkherbert

I don't think the team is underperforming on 13:44 - Dec 27 by JackFish

You're probably right to be honest. The football under Clement was mind-numbingly boring, but I'm not sure anyone could get this lot playing at a decent standard. My dad said to me yesterday when he saw the team "bloody hell, Fer and Routledge are playing, we're going to get thrashed". And I agreed, but the problem is the only replacements were Clucas, Sanches and Narsingh, none of whom are any good either.

Five points isn't a huge gap to make up if we had some genuinely good players in the squad, or the option to bring some in, but other than Bony I'm struggling to see who's going to score for us. The failure to even try to replace Sigurdsson in the summer was criminal. Even more so if the replacement was supposed to be Clucas. The team we put out yesterday had THREE goals between them this season. With over half the season gone. Embarrassing really.

I agree with many parts of your post but most of these players have proved they are good enough to compete in the premier league but they are simply not trying hard enough and defeat does not really affect them as it does us fans as their contracts are far too lucrative.

HJ and MM should use some of their sell out millions to buy these stupid contracts out.

Routs, Rangel, Dyer and Clueless to start with.

They were the ones who give them 4 year extensions when they were clearly finished as first team players and the ones who signed Clueless and sick note Bony?
I don't think the team is underperforming on 18:05 - Dec 27 with 1064 viewsBarrySwan

I don't think the team is underperforming on 16:04 - Dec 27 by Private_Partz

Agree to disagree on that one then. For me ML carried on developing us as a team. A project started by Martinez and Rodgers. There was no erosion of principles or style.

I'm not suggesting that he didn't, in fact in my original post I mentioned that he had to as others had worked out and were combatting our original Martinez developed passing style. Laudrup developed the style partially to try and give a more positive end result to the passing patterns.

And Monk took this even further and totally finished off the passing stuff until we arrive at what we have today. A team that are unable to string two passes together unchallenged without giving the ball away to the opposition.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2017 18:09]
I don't think the team is underperforming on 18:09 - Dec 27 with 1052 viewsBarrySwan

I don't think the team is underperforming on 17:38 - Dec 27 by skettyparkherbert

I agree with many parts of your post but most of these players have proved they are good enough to compete in the premier league but they are simply not trying hard enough and defeat does not really affect them as it does us fans as their contracts are far too lucrative.

HJ and MM should use some of their sell out millions to buy these stupid contracts out.

Routs, Rangel, Dyer and Clueless to start with.

They were the ones who give them 4 year extensions when they were clearly finished as first team players and the ones who signed Clueless and sick note Bony?

i think the problem is that the ones who as you say ' have proved that they are good enough to compete in the Premier league' are in reality bit part squad players who can just about survive as a general fill in squad member in a reasonable team.

But unfortunately when you have an entire squad made up of those calibre of makeweight players and no 'stars or match winners'

Then you go down.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024