Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone get good books for Christmas? 22:35 - Dec 27 with 3655 viewsEbo

I got Guitar Family Trees which is a stonking good read and Ascent by Chris Bonnington.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Anyone get good books for Christmas? on 00:32 - Dec 28 with 3627 viewsGowerjack

Ouch..

From the Amazon review...

As a "coffee table" book for casual browsing it is good value, as a reference text, however, it is almost worthless. Some of these errors are frankly quite astonishing, and should have been picked up before publication. One of worst relates to the Martin D-28, where it is claimed that the famed "herringbone" pattern purfling "changed to black and which checker in 1947". No, it didn't. It changed to a regular, non-checker black/white purfling.

Basic errors

Purfling

Not good enough sorry

I'm out.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Anyone get good books for Christmas? on 05:35 - Dec 28 with 3597 viewsEbo

Anyone get good books for Christmas? on 00:32 - Dec 28 by Gowerjack

Ouch..

From the Amazon review...

As a "coffee table" book for casual browsing it is good value, as a reference text, however, it is almost worthless. Some of these errors are frankly quite astonishing, and should have been picked up before publication. One of worst relates to the Martin D-28, where it is claimed that the famed "herringbone" pattern purfling "changed to black and which checker in 1947". No, it didn't. It changed to a regular, non-checker black/white purfling.

Basic errors

Purfling

Not good enough sorry

I'm out.

Pedant

Anyone get good books for Christmas? on 07:34 - Dec 28 with 3577 viewsLohengrin

I was lucky enough to have quite a few. I ran out of room long since, mind. I've got books piled up all over the place here.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Anyone get good books for Christmas? on 11:49 - Dec 28 with 3522 viewsEbo

Anyone get good books for Christmas? on 07:34 - Dec 28 by Lohengrin

I was lucky enough to have quite a few. I ran out of room long since, mind. I've got books piled up all over the place here.

Would you ever entertain a Kindle device Loh? Or are you strictly old school?

I have both and the Kindle was handy when I used to commute to Cardiff as I could read on my phone and when I picked up the Kindle when I got home it would be open at the very page I last read on my phone.

But you can't beat taking a good old hardback off the shelf and dusting it down.

Anyone get good books for Christmas? on 12:24 - Dec 28 with 3509 viewsswanjackal

Older book but one wanted for a while. Although downloaded not bought.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Anyone get good books for Christmas? on 13:36 - Dec 28 with 3488 viewsLohengrin

Anyone get good books for Christmas? on 11:49 - Dec 28 by Ebo

Would you ever entertain a Kindle device Loh? Or are you strictly old school?

I have both and the Kindle was handy when I used to commute to Cardiff as I could read on my phone and when I picked up the Kindle when I got home it would be open at the very page I last read on my phone.

But you can't beat taking a good old hardback off the shelf and dusting it down.

They are not for me, mate. The wife swears by hers and I can understand the appeal, the utility of them, but I just love everything about the real thing. I've been collecting them since I was old enough to read and my enthusiasm hasn't waned at all in the intervening years.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2017 15:06]

Anyone get good books for Christmas? on 14:09 - Dec 28 with 3471 viewsmonmouth

Anyone get good books for Christmas? on 07:34 - Dec 28 by Lohengrin

Always been fascinated by the Greek myths since I read Graves’ book as a nipper. Could do with a refresh. Is Fry’s effort worth a spin?

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Anyone get good books for Christmas? on 14:33 - Dec 28 with 3463 viewsLohengrin

Anyone get good books for Christmas? on 14:09 - Dec 28 by monmouth

Always been fascinated by the Greek myths since I read Graves’ book as a nipper. Could do with a refresh. Is Fry’s effort worth a spin?

Robert Graves is still the benchmark, Mon. I've only just started dipping into the Fry volume but it's an enjoyable, easy read. He's a clever author; clever chap full stop really, isn't he?

I'd recommend this to you as a companion volume too, Mons. If you like Europe's founding myths then this just bounds along.

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone get good books for Christmas? on 21:01 - Dec 28 with 3358 viewswhoflungdung

Swansea in the Fifties .

Emotional stuff

I d like that Mossaid book

Poll: Is it Spa or spa

Anyone get good books for Christmas? on 21:21 - Dec 28 with 3343 viewsNeath_Jack

Don't Cry for Me, Sergeant-Major - by Jeremy Hands and Robert A. McGowan

Clydach Murders book, and just finished Joey Barton book, which was enjoyable in fairness.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Anyone get good books for Christmas? on 21:25 - Dec 28 with 3343 viewsLohengrin

Anyone get good books for Christmas? on 21:01 - Dec 28 by whoflungdung

Swansea in the Fifties .

Emotional stuff

I d like that Mossaid book

This one, Perch?

Anyone get good books for Christmas? on 21:28 - Dec 28 with 3338 viewsLohengrin

Anyone get good books for Christmas? on 21:21 - Dec 28 by Neath_Jack

Don't Cry for Me, Sergeant-Major - by Jeremy Hands and Robert A. McGowan

Clydach Murders book, and just finished Joey Barton book, which was enjoyable in fairness.

The Falkland memoir? I hadn't realised it was back in print? I've got a dog-eared 1983 first edition knocking around here somewhere. Strong stuff.

Anyone get good books for Christmas? on 21:47 - Dec 28 with 3322 viewsNeath_Jack

Anyone get good books for Christmas? on 21:28 - Dec 28 by Lohengrin

The Falkland memoir? I hadn't realised it was back in print? I've got a dog-eared 1983 first edition knocking around here somewhere. Strong stuff.

That's the one, it is an old print mate, it's a second hand one.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Anyone get good books for Christmas? on 16:31 - Dec 29 with 3236 viewsperplex

A Ray of light about the connection between the Stoke miners and the village of Liddice, which was totally wiped out by the Nazi`s in revenge of the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich.
Anyone get good books for Christmas? on 19:34 - Dec 29 with 3198 viewsLohengrin

Not a Christmas present but I picked up a copy this morning in a charity shop. I borrowed it years ago from the library but for 10p today it was a no-brainer.

Anyone get good books for Christmas? on 19:36 - Dec 29 with 3193 viewswhoflungdung

Yes, loh That s the one

Poll: Is it Spa or spa

Anyone get good books for Christmas? on 21:04 - Dec 29 with 3159 viewsLoyal

I had a good blow job on boxing day, would have stuck the pages of a good book together.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Anyone get good books for Christmas? on 08:46 - Dec 31 with 3060 viewssainthelens

For those who enjoy a flutter and the highs and lows that come with it, get Harry Findlay..... Gambling for Life. Possibly the most fun read ever.
Anyone get good books for Christmas? on 13:53 - Dec 31 with 3010 viewslonglostjack

Anyone get good books for Christmas? on 16:31 - Dec 29 by perplex

A Ray of light about the connection between the Stoke miners and the village of Liddice, which was totally wiped out by the Nazi`s in revenge of the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich.

My old man was in the film "The Silent Village"

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Anyone get good books for Christmas? (n/t) on 13:57 - Dec 31 with 3005 viewslonglostjack

Looking forward to reading this.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackout_(Elsberg_novel)
[Post edited 31 Dec 2017 14:05]

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024