Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Carlos Carvalhal - the good, the bad.. 12:42 - Dec 28 with 7069 viewsSwanseaman

When Bony and Sanches were appointed I really thought they were going to do great here and we were in for a good season, I didn't look at what was wrong about them because I was so convinced they would get to form, do really well and we would be OK.

So although I'm glad we have got a manger in place and now have a chance of seeing improvements, I'm not completely optimistic (will get my 100% support though).

The good: He is very experienced, plus he has a record of doing well when starting off with a new club. He looks as if he could be a no messing, possibly hot headed type of manager (which could be good or bad). He has very strong Celtic roots with Portuguese people being very closely linked to the Welsh, so may really feel at home here and thrive. The Celtic bond could also see the fans accept him quickly as one of their own: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/celtic-roots-lie-spain-portugal-217

He's also had plenty of successful times with clubs and when the going is good has shown that he can motivate teams to play at their best. He may have good links for bringing in some quality players and he may be able to get some from Sheffield Wed (not sure if any are good enough for us though).

The Swans have had 15 managers in 12 years, Carlos has managed 16 clubs in 18 years, so this could be a good match for us :)

The bad: He's only just been released from Sheffield and his confidence must have been at a low, the stress and pressure he would have been under must have taken it's toll on him (although he might be very thick skinned and didn't affect him much). Managers usually do better, if they have had at least a few months away from managing in order to recharge, fully recover and get their spark back, before taking a new job. It may be far to soon to put him in at the deep end with a Premier side struggling at the bottom of league. He may not enjoy being a yes man and fall out with Huw quickly which could ruin any chance we have. He's never managed a Premier club before, so just like the Bony and Sanches risk signings, this is similar. We have no evidence to show us how he may do. Some fans could view it as Jenkins making more and more risky decisions, there were other managers with proven Premier experience who may have been a safer bet, so this could be seen as more of a gamble..

For me. I'm remaining on the fence. I'm going to give my full support but not going to be too optimistic like I was with Bony and Sanches

I'm sure there are more good and bad I haven't thought of???

[Post edited 28 Dec 2017 13:52]

Poll: Would you have Jenkins back if he found wealthy oil sheikhs to buy out the Yanks

Carlos Carvalhal, the good and the bad.. on 12:45 - Dec 28 with 5174 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

"He's only just been released from Sheffield and his confidence must have been at a low"

Low confidence wont be an issue. He's just been handed a job he has not earned, has not proven he is capable of doing effectively and will never get again. He'll be absolutely over the moon. This will set him up nicely for 6 months before taking another job elsewhere after the World Cup.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Carlos Carvalhal, the good and the bad.. on 12:48 - Dec 28 with 5110 viewslondonlisa2001

Carlos Carvalhal, the good and the bad.. on 12:45 - Dec 28 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

"He's only just been released from Sheffield and his confidence must have been at a low"

Low confidence wont be an issue. He's just been handed a job he has not earned, has not proven he is capable of doing effectively and will never get again. He'll be absolutely over the moon. This will set him up nicely for 6 months before taking another job elsewhere after the World Cup.

"He's just been handed a job he has not earned, has not proven he is capable of doing effectively and will never get again"

The same as our most successful three managers then?
Carlos Carvalhal, the good and the bad.. on 12:50 - Dec 28 with 5068 viewsSwanseaman

Carlos Carvalhal, the good and the bad.. on 12:45 - Dec 28 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

I'll mark that as a good point: He will be over the moon to get a Premier Job which would have been completely unexpected...

Poll: Would you have Jenkins back if he found wealthy oil sheikhs to buy out the Yanks

Carlos Carvalhal, the good and the bad.. on 12:51 - Dec 28 with 5030 viewsmonmouth

I don’t think Jesus could have saved us so just got to give the bloke a chance, I doubt it’ll matter, neither he or we will be premier league for more than a few months. Just don’t give him a 3year contract in June and have to sack him in November. Again.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Carlos Carvalhal, the good and the bad.. on 12:52 - Dec 28 with 5011 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Carlos Carvalhal, the good and the bad.. on 12:48 - Dec 28 by londonlisa2001

"He's just been handed a job he has not earned, has not proven he is capable of doing effectively and will never get again"

The same as our most successful three managers then?

Beloved Brendan did an average to poor job in The Championship before he was appointed, no quarrels with that. We were in the same league as his prior club.

I wasn't alive when Toshack was appointed so can't comment on that.

Laudrup came here after doing a terrific job keeping a financially ruined Mallorca in La Liga.

Carlos was recently sacked after spending huge amounts of money and taking his team backwards this season in an inferior league. Hardly comparable.

Carlos Carvalhal, the good and the bad.. on 12:55 - Dec 28 with 4982 viewsThornburyswan

Good post & he'll get my 100% support too, if we are willing to see it as a long-shot to stay up from where we are sitting but important we (1) give it a go, (2) but build for the future (in whatever division that may be) & (3) get back to playing decent football - if he settles & we see positive progress on (2) & (3) during the second half I can live with that regardless of the relegation outcome.
Carlos Carvalhal, the good and the bad.. on 12:58 - Dec 28 with 4889 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Carlos Carvalhal, the good and the bad.. on 12:55 - Dec 28 by Thornburyswan

Good post & he'll get my 100% support too, if we are willing to see it as a long-shot to stay up from where we are sitting but important we (1) give it a go, (2) but build for the future (in whatever division that may be) & (3) get back to playing decent football - if he settles & we see positive progress on (2) & (3) during the second half I can live with that regardless of the relegation outcome.

" A long shot to stay up; give it a go"

Hundreds of jobs are on the line, as well as tens of millions which flow into the local economy, but sure, let's give it a go, appoint a nobody to have a crack at the long shot, instead of someone proven of surviving from a similar position.

We shouldn't be justifying this decision. Allardyce was available not long ago. So was Pardew. Two men who have kept just as poor squads up. This is what we get for acting so late.

Carlos Carvalhal, the good and the bad.. on 12:58 - Dec 28 with 4893 viewswestside

Swansea & Wales voted for Brexit so they can't have much in common with portuguese
Login to get fewer ads

Carlos Carvalhal, the good and the bad.. on 12:59 - Dec 28 with 4876 viewslondonlisa2001

Carlos Carvalhal, the good and the bad.. on 12:52 - Dec 28 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Beloved Brendan did an average to poor job in The Championship before he was appointed, no quarrels with that. We were in the same league as his prior club.

Laudrup came here after doing a terrific job keeping a financially ruined Mallorca in La Liga.

Carlos was recently sacked after spending huge amounts of money and taking his team backwards this season in an inferior league. Hardly comparable.

Wasn't going back as far as Toshack a son he was appointed when we were in the fourth division which is somewhat different.

But Brendan was sacked by Reading before coming to us after only 6 months.

Martinez hadn't managed before.

Laudrup was sacked or walked out on teams due to disagreements all over the place before joining us.

Who do you reckon wanted or was prepared to join us at the moment that we didn't appoint Dwight? Name them.
Carlos Carvalhal, the good and the bad.. on 13:02 - Dec 28 with 4785 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Carlos Carvalhal, the good and the bad.. on 12:59 - Dec 28 by londonlisa2001

Wasn't going back as far as Toshack a son he was appointed when we were in the fourth division which is somewhat different.

But Brendan was sacked by Reading before coming to us after only 6 months.

Martinez hadn't managed before.

Laudrup was sacked or walked out on teams due to disagreements all over the place before joining us.

Who do you reckon wanted or was prepared to join us at the moment that we didn't appoint Dwight? Name them.

My argument isn't about who we could have appointed today. It is about who we should have appointed a month, even 2 months ago.

Palace acted and appointed Hodgson. I was ridiculed for praising that decision and he's done an excellent job.

Allardyce was available for a while and would have absolutely come down here for 6 months if promised £5m or so if he kept us up.

Pardew kept a woeful Palace team up from a similar position and is doing ok at West Brom.

We left it late and are left with rubbish like this gentleman who couldn't get his team out of the league we'll be looking to get out of next season, let alone keep a team up in the Premier League.

Carlos Carvalhal, the good and the bad.. on 13:05 - Dec 28 with 4742 viewsSwanseaman

Carlos Carvalhal, the good and the bad.. on 12:58 - Dec 28 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

" A long shot to stay up; give it a go"

Hundreds of jobs are on the line, as well as tens of millions which flow into the local economy, but sure, let's give it a go, appoint a nobody to have a crack at the long shot, instead of someone proven of surviving from a similar position.

We shouldn't be justifying this decision. Allardyce was available not long ago. So was Pardew. Two men who have kept just as poor squads up. This is what we get for acting so late.

I am completely in 2 minds about it myself. As you say, the usual and most trusted route to get out of this type of mess successfully, used by many teams is to appoint an experienced manager who has had experience of getting teams out of similar situations and experience of that league.

This does look like a risk, but then again there is a film called Rocky, where the underdog, who people thought 'why has he been given a chance', took his chance and showed what he was capable of (I know it's fiction but just an example)..

Carlos Carvalhal, the good and the bad.. on 13:06 - Dec 28 with 4718 viewslondonlisa2001

Carlos Carvalhal, the good and the bad.. on 13:02 - Dec 28 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

My argument isn't about who we could have appointed today. It is about who we should have appointed a month, even 2 months ago.

Palace acted and appointed Hodgson. I was ridiculed for praising that decision and he's done an excellent job.

Allardyce was available for a while and would have absolutely come down here for 6 months if promised £5m or so if he kept us up.

Pardew kept a woeful Palace team up from a similar position and is doing ok at West Brom.

We left it late and are left with rubbish like this gentleman who couldn't get his team out of the league we'll be looking to get out of next season, let alone keep a team up in the Premier League.

Hodgson lives in Richmond and went to a club that trains in Beckenham. He would absolutely not have come to Swansea. He wasn't prepared to move.

Allardyce would not have come to Swansea. Same reason.

Stop being so bloody stupid the entire time.
Carlos Carvalhal, the good and the bad.. on 13:08 - Dec 28 with 4670 viewsBanosswan

Carlos Carvalhal, the good and the bad.. on 12:52 - Dec 28 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

He wasn't sacked.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Carlos Carvalhal, the good and the bad.. on 13:09 - Dec 28 with 4638 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Carlos Carvalhal, the good and the bad.. on 13:06 - Dec 28 by londonlisa2001

Hodgson lives in Richmond and went to a club that trains in Beckenham. He would absolutely not have come to Swansea. He wasn't prepared to move.

Allardyce would not have come to Swansea. Same reason.

Stop being so bloody stupid the entire time.

Was Sunderland a short commute for Sam? Now Everton, not long ago West Ham. He clearly is willing to move around.

Oh that's right, I forgot you know what people you've never met are thinking. Darran, myself, Katy Perry, now Sam and Roy.

Carlos Carvalhal, the good and the bad.. on 13:11 - Dec 28 with 4610 viewsDarran

Carlos Carvalhal, the good and the bad.. on 13:09 - Dec 28 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Was Sunderland a short commute for Sam? Now Everton, not long ago West Ham. He clearly is willing to move around.

Oh that's right, I forgot you know what people you've never met are thinking. Darran, myself, Katy Perry, now Sam and Roy.

Well said my friend.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Carlos Carvalhal - the good, the bad.. on 13:21 - Dec 28 with 4498 viewsDrizzy

The Hodgson point is moot, we were never going to sack Clement after four games. Remains to be seen if he'll do such a fantastic job over the course of the season as they looked sh*te when they visited.

Everton sacked Koeman a full two months before we sacked Clement. Even if we'd acted around the same time I find it impossible to believe Allardyce would have come here with the Everton job likely to be free.

Sunderland stayed up for several years with God awful teams and under terrible managers like Di Canio and Poyet. Allardyce was no exception. Not to mention our squad is a terrible fit for his style. There's no height or strength (Bony aside) in this team.

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

Carlos Carvalhal, the good and the bad.. on 13:37 - Dec 28 with 4353 viewshammy

Carlos Carvalhal, the good and the bad.. on 13:02 - Dec 28 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Aye, Pardew is doing really well ... what we would give for the heady heights of 19th spot ... WBA were very poor against us and are as much headed for the Championship as we are ...

C'mon Bony shoot !!!!

Carlos Carvalhal, the good and the bad.. on 13:38 - Dec 28 with 4346 viewslondonlisa2001

Carlos Carvalhal, the good and the bad.. on 13:09 - Dec 28 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Roy plays golf at Coombe Hill with a family member and was asked directly. That was his answer.

As usual, you spend your entire time criticising for the sake of it while offering no solutions.

You should be spending time worrying how you dropped 4 points in two games against Leicester and Burnley troll boy.
Carlos Carvalhal - the good, the bad.. on 13:52 - Dec 28 with 4201 viewswhoflungdung

Portugal a Celtic country ?

Nah

Nearest is in Galicia but it is just north of Portugal to be fai

Poll: Is it Spa or spa

Carlos Carvalhal - the good, the bad.. on 14:15 - Dec 28 with 3934 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Trampie lite

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Carlos Carvalhal - the good, the bad.. on 14:16 - Dec 28 with 3929 viewsharryhpalmer

He'd not have been my choice, but he is what we have got!

So we have little choice but get behind him and hope he manages like he did at the first 12 months at Wednesday rather than the last 18!

Get to the summer, still in the Premier League, and appoint a long term successor to big nose and a manager.

Poll: Who do you want as next Manager?

Carlos Carvalhal - the good, the bad.. on 14:24 - Dec 28 with 3872 viewsSwanseaman

Carlos Carvalhal - the good, the bad.. on 13:52 - Dec 28 by whoflungdung

Portugal a Celtic country ?

Nah

Nearest is in Galicia but it is just north of Portugal to be fai

I've read that we have very similar DNA to people in Portugal.

:: THE Welsh have more in common with sun-kissed glamour pusses like actress Penelope Cruz and footballer Christiano Ronaldo than pale- faced Germans like Helmet Kohl, according to an academic.

Professor John Koch suggests the Welsh can trace their ancestry back to Portugal and Spain, debunking the century-old received wisdom that our forebears came from Iron Age Germany and Austria. ::

from: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/celtic-roots-lie-spain-portugal-217
[Post edited 28 Dec 2017 14:28]

Carlos Carvalhal - the good, the bad.. on 14:30 - Dec 28 with 3821 viewswhoflungdung

ive spent some time on Portugal

The inhabitants have often very dark features whereas the Welsh are anything but .

Portuguese is also a romansch language more akin to Russian ,French ,Spanish .

Welsh is different.

If Carlos saves us ,I really won't be that arsed .

Bom fortuna

Poll: Is it Spa or spa

Carlos Carvalhal - the good, the bad.. on 14:37 - Dec 28 with 3770 viewsPentyrchJack

Carlos Carvalhal - the good, the bad.. on 14:24 - Dec 28 by Swanseaman

:: THE Welsh have more in common with sun-kissed glamour pusses like actress Penelope Cruz and footballer Christiano Ronaldo than pale- faced Germans like Helmet Kohl, according to an academic.

Professor John Koch suggests the Welsh can trace their ancestry back to Portugal and Spain, debunking the century-old received wisdom that our forebears came from Iron Age Germany and Austria. ::

from: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/celtic-roots-lie-spain-portugal-217

...have you been on the sherry?

Poll: Fox Hunting - what do you think?

Carlos Carvalhal - the good, the bad.. on 14:55 - Dec 28 with 3671 viewsphact0rri

Carlos Carvalhal - the good, the bad.. on 14:24 - Dec 28 by Swanseaman

That article speaks nothing of DNA tests between the two peoples, and I doubt they've even tried to analyze DNA markers between the welsh and the portguese so who knows. What the article refers to is simular tools and art found in both regions, along with the idea that celtic language roots were spoken there in the muddled past.

And where that is fascinating and I'd love to read more about these findings, its not a clear cut photograph by any means. And where the cultures could have had a simular ancestor this is 500 years according to the study. And there's a lot that could have happened. Interesting to say the least. But without actual biological studies its hard to claim the "DNA simularities"

We can say that similarities are found between the britanic peoples (and the Atlantic fork, which I think complicates matters instead of justifies them in my eyes... but alas this isn't an anthropology forum.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2017 14:55]

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024