Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Same Club different Grounds visited 21:16 - Jan 7 with 4949 viewsbonymine

Just thinking about the different away grounds I’ve watched the Swans play at over the years against the same Club ;

Scum Onion Park & CCS
Newport Somerton Park & Yspytty Park ? (Now at Rodney Parade)
Bristol Rovers Eastville Twerton Park & Memorial Ground
Man City Maine Road & Etihad
Arsenal Highbury & Emirates
Spurs WHL & Wembley
Reading Elm Park & Madjeski Stadium
Stoke Victoria Ground & Bet365/Britannia or whatever it’s called this season !

Lots more out there let’s have ‘em ...???

Edit ; Bournemouth Dean Court & Vitality Stadium
[Post edited 7 Jan 2018 21:17]

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

Same Club different Grounds visited on 22:12 - Jan 7 with 1350 viewsbonymine

Same Club different Grounds visited on 21:59 - Jan 7 by Darran

On a side note if we go down I’m going to start going away again.

Definitely Darr me & my sons are looking forward to some new away trips next season they have been used to Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd etc away trips and they don’t believe me that we will actually enjoy going away more to ‘less glamorous Clubs’ for a day/weekend away !!

Same Club different Grounds visited on 22:14 - Jan 7 with 1349 viewsSwanjaxs

Same here mate, used to do at least 7 aways per season but haven't been away for 18 month's.... sometimes less is more 👍

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Same Club different Grounds visited on 22:15 - Jan 7 with 1342 viewsbonymine

Same Club different Grounds visited on 21:41 - Jan 7 by Al_Bundy

Derby
Arsenal
Reading
West Ham
Colchester
Bristol Rovers
MK Dons
Stoke
Mboro
Preston
Wigan
Bolton
Walsall
Brighton - Withdean and Goldstone
Southampton
Charlton
Millwall
Coventry
Northampton
Doncaster
Darlington
Hull
Newport
Cardiff
Oxford

Rather than just listing the Clubs who have moved to new Grounds I was hoping that we could generate a bit of discussion about the topic ?? .......personal experiences etc ....

Same Club different Grounds visited on 22:18 - Jan 7 with 1336 viewsDarran

Same Club different Grounds visited on 22:14 - Jan 7 by Swanjaxs

Same here mate, used to do at least 7 aways per season but haven't been away for 18 month's.... sometimes less is more 👍

Absolutely. I hate the away Prem grounds. Don’t care what any tossers say it used to be so much fun and now it isn’t.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Same Club different Grounds visited on 22:29 - Jan 7 with 1318 viewsbonymine

Same Club different Grounds visited on 22:18 - Jan 7 by Darran

Absolutely. I hate the away Prem grounds. Don’t care what any tossers say it used to be so much fun and now it isn’t.

Can’t agree more .....the Premier League now is a far different animal to the one in which we were promoted to in 2011.

Bigger is not always better and success attracts hangers on and greed......notwithstanding Jenkins & the Sellouts’ actions, we have a squad of ’players’ (I use that word losely) who cannot wait to be relegated (yet again in the case of Leroy ‘Lazy B@stard Fer who is on a hat trick having been relegated with Norwich and QPR previously) and the Premier League for me is moving further and further away from the ‘true’ fans .......

Same Club different Grounds visited on 23:10 - Jan 7 with 1290 viewsSwanseajill

Same Club different Grounds visited on 22:07 - Jan 7 by bonymine

Remember the ‘vision’ for the Ground redevelopment at the Vetch Darr ? Glossy brochures as well very impressive back in those days .....

We opened the new East Stand against West Ham I remember it well when me & the old man had ‘Father & Son’ Season Tickets in the old Double Decker. Actually, Huw Jenkins’ Dad Gordon sat in front of us for many years but he didn’t have a ‘Father and Son’ Season Ticket so I don’t know what his son Huw was interested in back in those days ? ....😉😉

Anyway, me & the old man bought the Club ‘Building Bonds’ to help finance the build then when it all went tits up we had to waive our right to repayment of our money in order for the Club to survive under Dougie Sharpe’s rescue package....

I wonder if Jenkins, Morgan & Dineen lost any money back in those days trying to ‘help the Club’ or did they just stitch us all up at a later date which is well documented ???? .....

Those days in the double decker, I at least sat in the dry whereas now I get soaked if it's raining at the Liberty.

The away fans underneath us, kicking the gates to get out! Never be allowed now with current laws.

Best view in the Vetch. With wooden benches that you could kick with your heels when the players would go on an attack.

Great memories, but I wouldn't mind a few more ...great ones.
Same Club different Grounds visited on 23:17 - Jan 7 with 1283 viewsbuilthjack

Same Club different Grounds visited on 23:10 - Jan 7 by Swanseajill

Those days in the double decker, I at least sat in the dry whereas now I get soaked if it's raining at the Liberty.

The away fans underneath us, kicking the gates to get out! Never be allowed now with current laws.

Best view in the Vetch. With wooden benches that you could kick with your heels when the players would go on an attack.

Great memories, but I wouldn't mind a few more ...great ones.

My favourite stand of all time. Never a queue for a cuppa either.
But hell was some noise created stamping on the floor.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Same Club different Grounds visited on 23:29 - Jan 7 with 1265 viewsSwanseajill

Same Club different Grounds visited on 23:17 - Jan 7 by builthjack

My favourite stand of all time. Never a queue for a cuppa either.
But hell was some noise created stamping on the floor.

The tea kiosk by the turnstiles.☕️.Where I would kindly offer to hold the tea while the fans dug in their pockets to buy raffle tickets from me.

Not that I nagged them of course, not much anyway.😌
Login to get fewer ads

Same Club different Grounds visited on 00:02 - Jan 8 with 1249 viewsswan65split

Same Club different Grounds visited on 23:29 - Jan 7 by Swanseajill

The tea kiosk by the turnstiles.☕️.Where I would kindly offer to hold the tea while the fans dug in their pockets to buy raffle tickets from me.

Not that I nagged them of course, not much anyway.😌

ah now i can put a face to a name,lol
Same Club different Grounds visited on 00:38 - Jan 8 with 1238 viewsDewi1jack

Got to agree with you there Dar.
Used to do around 15-20+ games in the lower leagues. Even drove the bus to some.
Did every ground in our first season up bar for Newcastle- been there, done that and think it's a sh1t ground.
Taken my daughter (since 97) and lad to most (about 2000/01)- daughter was brought up (dragged up???) on the NB, boyo on the NB and in the old wing stand.
Now taking the grandkids occasionally down the Morfa.

Fug I'm getting old!
Here's to being around to take the great grandkids!

Still rather us beating the likes of Manchester United than Scunthorpe United mind

Brilliant thread BTW Bony
Dragging my brains (which is good when I have memory problems) to remember the old ground names. Then the new
Also the grounds that have been redeveloped/ rebuilt

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Same Club different Grounds visited on 08:48 - Jan 8 with 1197 viewswhiterock

Goldstone, Withdean and soon to be the Amex (been but not with Swans)
Same Club different Grounds visited on 10:19 - Jan 8 with 1178 viewsSTID2017

Same Club different Grounds visited on 21:37 - Jan 7 by Darran

I often think of what the Vetch would have looked like redeveloped?

Close the centre stand and make everyone go in the east and and North Bank whilst the centre stand was being rebuilt then do the opposite whilst we redid the north Bank.

With the houses on the back of the Centre Stand, we'd have had to redevope it on the same footprint so very little scope there.
The North Bank and West Stand / terrace had more scope

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Same Club different Grounds visited on 11:31 - Jan 8 with 1157 viewsLibertarian

Oxford
Northampton
Reading
MK Dons
Arsenal
Spurs
West Ham
Soon to be Brighton
Same Club different Grounds visited on 12:23 - Jan 8 with 1124 viewsawayjack

Same Club different Grounds visited on 21:41 - Jan 7 by Al_Bundy

Derby
Arsenal
Reading
West Ham
Colchester
Bristol Rovers
MK Dons
Stoke
Mboro
Preston
Wigan
Bolton
Walsall
Brighton - Withdean and Goldstone
Southampton
Charlton
Millwall
Coventry
Northampton
Doncaster
Darlington
Hull
Newport
Cardiff
Oxford

Now that's a serious list. What would be the grounds you've felt biggest change in at atmosphere?

For me WH gone from one of the most intimating to pretty sterile.
Same Club different Grounds visited (n/t) on 12:41 - Jan 8 with 1116 viewsLandore_Jack

[Post edited 8 Jan 2018 12:42]

#backtojack

Same Club different Grounds visited on 12:44 - Jan 8 with 1113 viewsDewi1jack

Same Club different Grounds visited on 12:23 - Jan 8 by awayjack

Now that's a serious list. What would be the grounds you've felt biggest change in at atmosphere?

Old Den to the New Den.
Both an interesting walk and visit

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Same Club different Grounds visited on 15:31 - Jan 8 with 1077 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Same Club different Grounds visited on 21:20 - Jan 7 by Darran

Dean Court and the Vitality is the same place mind.

Although they have demolished all the old stands and moved the pitch a bit like White Hart Lane.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Same Club different Grounds visited on 15:49 - Jan 8 with 1072 views1983

Millwall.. 1984 Frightening!
Brighton.. Held up by scaffolding
Walsall.. Roof came off one of the stands when we played them circa 1988
Reading.. Swansea took over Reading say no more
Oxford.. Old School
[Post edited 8 Jan 2018 15:52]

Same Club different Grounds visited on 17:04 - Jan 8 with 1048 viewsshenleymun

Oxford...
Old ground had a stand on each side
New ground only has three stands and a car park at the open end...????
Same Club different Grounds visited on 17:45 - Jan 8 with 1035 viewstheloneranger

Same Club different Grounds visited on 22:29 - Jan 7 by bonymine

Can’t agree more .....the Premier League now is a far different animal to the one in which we were promoted to in 2011.

Bigger is not always better and success attracts hangers on and greed......notwithstanding Jenkins & the Sellouts’ actions, we have a squad of ’players’ (I use that word losely) who cannot wait to be relegated (yet again in the case of Leroy ‘Lazy B@stard Fer who is on a hat trick having been relegated with Norwich and QPR previously) and the Premier League for me is moving further and further away from the ‘true’ fans .......

Plus Olsson is on a 4 timer, Ayew and Clucas are on a double....no wonder we've got problems with our squad....!!

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Same Club different Grounds visited on 17:58 - Jan 8 with 1031 viewsSwanseajill

Same Club different Grounds visited on 10:19 - Jan 8 by STID2017

With the houses on the back of the Centre Stand, we'd have had to redevope it on the same footprint so very little scope there.
The North Bank and West Stand / terrace had more scope

It was going to be the north bank.

The plans were hung on the wall of the Harry Griffiths bar for ages.
Mel Nurse desperately wanted the Vetch to be expanded but the council were sure the increase of fans around the Sandfields wouldn't cope with car parking.

And of course... It's a dream now parking at the Liberty.
Same Club different Grounds visited on 18:09 - Jan 8 with 1021 viewsjackharris

The plans for the Vetch would have made it a cracking town centre stadium.

The East stand as the older generations know was always meant to continue around the corner and down the South (main stand side), Without the terrace underneath. The stand would have been one tier and extended forward at the front. Perhaps it would have been extended around the West side, eventually.

We applied for funding to rebuild the North bank into an all seating stand holding 6,500, but they only gave us a enough money for new turnstiles and the Jewson Stand (all 234 seats, which we gave to away sides in the FA Cup because we had to give a percentage of seating tickets).

When I first moved to London I saw my first Premiership Match it was Wimbledon FC v Spurs at Selhurst Park (2000/2001?) John Hartson scored, it was the Super Sunday match and there were 8,000 Spurs fans there but the atmosphere was dead.

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

Same Club different Grounds visited on 18:33 - Jan 8 with 1000 views1983

The Jewson stand had 321 seats if I remember rightly it was nick named the Ted Rogers stand

Same Club different Grounds visited on 19:31 - Jan 8 with 974 views3swan

Same Club different Grounds visited on 00:38 - Jan 8 by Dewi1jack

Got to agree with you there Dar.
Used to do around 15-20+ games in the lower leagues. Even drove the bus to some.
Did every ground in our first season up bar for Newcastle- been there, done that and think it's a sh1t ground.
Taken my daughter (since 97) and lad to most (about 2000/01)- daughter was brought up (dragged up???) on the NB, boyo on the NB and in the old wing stand.
Now taking the grandkids occasionally down the Morfa.

Fug I'm getting old!
Here's to being around to take the great grandkids!

Still rather us beating the likes of Manchester United than Scunthorpe United mind

Brilliant thread BTW Bony
Dragging my brains (which is good when I have memory problems) to remember the old ground names. Then the new
Also the grounds that have been redeveloped/ rebuilt

Didn't want to agree with Darran so will agree with yours.

And add Scunthorpe to the list
Same Club different Grounds visited on 21:16 - Jan 8 with 959 viewsAl_Bundy

Same Club different Grounds visited on 12:23 - Jan 8 by awayjack

My favourite was the baseball ground. We played there on a bank holiday where we housed in an upper tier of sorts. When we scored we all jumped down onto a empty terrace. Derby fans were really loud.

Walsall had a 8 step terrace behind the goal but no fence as such but the home end was huge.

Wigan had a grass bank when we were there it had a lot of snow and sleet which made it a mud bath.

Colchester always seem to be on a Friday evening when the squaddies were out in force.

Remember an opening game of the season at Bristol Rovers which was played at Bath City's ground which all got a bit nasty.

Midweek game at Darlington housed on the side of the pitch when Steve Watkin scored a couple - great hospitality.

Special train to Newport (Somerton Pk) when there was also a segregated Cardiff section.

Preston's away terrace is my best memory - the new ground is quite sterile but Bodde goal there made it all worth while.

Bolton's ground was also a a run the gauntlet from the station with their main fans housed next to the corner away end. Remember Ray McHale putting in a shift there that would today's players to shame.

Oxford in a midweek cup game where we got trounced all penned in.

The infamous opener at the Old Den was the only game I couldn't risk the away end living local to the ground... carnage all day

Reading's Elm Park when we pushing promotion when 3K turned up and the game kept getting stopped with fighting in the home end.

West Ham in the cup at Upton Pk couldn't ge tickets in the Swansea end but did in the home end and when we scored pockets of Jacks all celebrated.. I was ejected in the 88 min.

Doncaster's Belle Vue was a great ground but on a par with the vetch for facilities. Our 0-4 win up there on a Friday night is up there with one of my best matches.

Just a few great memories - all lower league when a day out was right up there wherever you went supporting the Swans.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024