Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Snow 36 years ago 21:28 - Jan 8 with 4048 viewsdickythorpe

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-wales-42612677/archive-the-1982-snow-storm-that-
Snow 36 years ago on 21:35 - Jan 8 with 4016 viewsGowerjack

My Dad was stuck in work at Port Talbot for 4 days

Mrs Gowerjack remembers helicopters dropping supplies at Rhossili

Proper snow

Not like the shite we get nowadays

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Snow 36 years ago on 21:42 - Jan 8 with 3983 viewsDarran

Snow 36 years ago on 21:35 - Jan 8 by Gowerjack

My Dad was stuck in work at Port Talbot for 4 days

Mrs Gowerjack remembers helicopters dropping supplies at Rhossili

Proper snow

Not like the shite we get nowadays

I walked to Port Talbot steelworks from Baglan to be told there was no need for me to be in because I was an apprentice and I could go home.
Walked to Port Talbot town centre by lunch time and spent the day in the Old Vic.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Snow 36 years ago on 22:15 - Jan 8 with 3908 viewslifelong

The big freeze of the winter of 62/63 is one I will always remember, , rivers froze, huge amounts of snow fell and villages were cut off. It lasted for a couple of months and nothing has been seen like it since.
I can remember that you could walk along the river Tawe for miles, it was completely frozen, the sea front of Swansea bay froze. There were 30 foot snow drifts at the he top of the Swansea Valley, the snow didn’t clear from the mountains until June.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_of_1962%E2%80%9363_in_the_United_Kingdom
Snow 36 years ago on 18:47 - Jan 9 with 3669 viewsJimmyGilligan

That's one of my earliest memories, although I would have placed it a few years later. There is a picture of me knee deep in it. Never seen anything like it since.
Snow 36 years ago on 18:58 - Jan 9 with 3658 viewsepaul

Stranded in Llanelli for a few days at my aunts as buses couldnt get over the Loughor bridge

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Snow 36 years ago on 19:01 - Jan 9 with 3652 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Coincidentally this was in the middle of the Swans' first season in the first division, and arguably their greatest season ever.

Was there a fixture at the Vetch around this storm, by any chance?

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Snow 36 years ago on 19:07 - Jan 9 with 3638 viewsdickythorpe

Snow 36 years ago on 19:01 - Jan 9 by Tummer_from_Texas

Coincidentally this was in the middle of the Swans' first season in the first division, and arguably their greatest season ever.

Was there a fixture at the Vetch around this storm, by any chance?

We lost to Southampton 3-1 on Dec 28th, the didn't play until Jan 16th losing 2-0 at Leeds.
Snow 36 years ago on 20:47 - Jan 9 with 3542 viewssherpajacob

Snow 36 years ago on 19:07 - Jan 9 by dickythorpe

We lost to Southampton 3-1 on Dec 28th, the didn't play until Jan 16th losing 2-0 at Leeds.

Not forgetting a 0-4 stuffing by Liverpool in the FA, cup 3rd round

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Login to get fewer ads

Snow 36 years ago on 20:48 - Jan 9 with 3539 viewsperchrockjack

Don't blame da scousers for the fookn snow ,ffs

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Snow 36 years ago on 21:45 - Jan 9 with 3499 viewsFieryJack

Can remember some blokes skiing down the middle of Mount Pleasant and ending up at the bottom where the new police station now is.

Also Army trucks outside the train station with soldiers shovelling the snow off the roads.
Snow 36 years ago on 22:12 - Jan 9 with 3459 viewsbuilthjack

Snow 36 years ago on 22:15 - Jan 8 by lifelong

The big freeze of the winter of 62/63 is one I will always remember, , rivers froze, huge amounts of snow fell and villages were cut off. It lasted for a couple of months and nothing has been seen like it since.
I can remember that you could walk along the river Tawe for miles, it was completely frozen, the sea front of Swansea bay froze. There were 30 foot snow drifts at the he top of the Swansea Valley, the snow didn’t clear from the mountains until June.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_of_1962%E2%80%9363_in_the_United_Kingdom

The sea was frozen over for weeks in early 1985

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Snow 36 years ago on 06:24 - Jan 10 with 3398 viewsMo_Wives

Snow 36 years ago on 21:45 - Jan 9 by FieryJack

Can remember some blokes skiing down the middle of Mount Pleasant and ending up at the bottom where the new police station now is.

Also Army trucks outside the train station with soldiers shovelling the snow off the roads.

Some blokes? you cheeky c*nt...that was my mother and my aunty.
[Post edited 10 Jan 2018 6:28]

Good luck, Mr Cooper

(No subject) (n/t) on 21:46 - Jan 11 with 3179 viewsFieryJack

Snow 36 years ago on 21:50 - Jan 11 with 3167 viewsLord_Bony

Anyone remember the blizzard of Feb 77? It was bad.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Snow 36 years ago on 22:05 - Jan 11 with 3153 viewsGowerjack

Snow 36 years ago on 21:50 - Jan 11 by Lord_Bony

Yes

We built an igloo on Heol Frank!

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Snow 36 years ago on 22:07 - Jan 11 with 3151 viewsLohengrin

Snow 36 years ago on 21:50 - Jan 11 by Lord_Bony

Wasn't that in '78? I'm pretty sure it was.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Snow 36 years ago on 22:16 - Jan 11 with 3138 viewsLord_Bony

Snow 36 years ago on 22:07 - Jan 11 by Lohengrin

Wasn't that in '78? I'm pretty sure it was.

Begging your pudding...it was 78...

http://www.xmetman.com/wp/2017/02/18/the-blizzard-of-february-1978-in-sw-england

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

Snow 36 years ago on 22:23 - Jan 11 with 3127 viewsLohengrin

Snow 36 years ago on 22:16 - Jan 11 by Lord_Bony

Begging your pudding...it was 78...

http://www.xmetman.com/wp/2017/02/18/the-blizzard-of-february-1978-in-sw-england

I remember it very well, mate. A few of us kids took it on ourselves to go around the houses making sure that the pensioners were alright, if they needed coal brought in or had run out of any essentials. We didn't need to be asked.

I wonder if kids today would do that? I'd like to think so.

Snow 36 years ago on 22:27 - Jan 11 with 3119 viewsLord_Bony

I was a kid in Maesteg at the time...the place was totally cut off and the Army had to come in with provisions.

There was a shopkeeper who quadrupled the price of bread trying to profiteer from the situation...needless to say she did nt last in business long after that.

Snow 36 years ago on 22:32 - Jan 11 with 3110 viewsLohengrin

Snow 36 years ago on 22:27 - Jan 11 by Lord_Bony

I was a kid in Maesteg at the time...the place was totally cut off and the Army had to come in with provisions.

There was a shopkeeper who quadrupled the price of bread trying to profiteer from the situation...needless to say she did nt last in business long after that.

People like that are the reason tar and feather came to be.

Snow 36 years ago on 22:34 - Jan 11 with 3109 viewsLord_Bony

Snow 36 years ago on 22:32 - Jan 11 by Lohengrin

People like that are the reason tar and feather came to be.

Well I remember she did nt have shop windows for a while.

Snow 36 years ago on 00:00 - Jan 12 with 3079 viewsyescomeon

Snow these days is nothing like the snow back in my day. Bloody snowflakes.

Upthecity!

Snow 36 years ago on 12:21 - Jan 12 with 2983 viewsswanjackal

Snow 26 years ago.......

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Snow 36 years ago on 12:29 - Jan 12 with 2972 viewsswanjackal

As was I, although was 3 at the time so would have probably been taken up Garth Mountain with a crappy sledge bought from Lockyers, with my brother and dad.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Snow 36 years ago on 12:54 - Jan 12 with 2949 viewsexhmrc1

Maesteg wasn't the only place it happened. The same thing happened where I lived.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024