Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' 14:11 - Jan 15 with 2792 viewstheloneranger

Darren Ferguson says..... What all Swansea City supporters think of the referees and linesmen that officiate at our games."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05ts6t0

The officials at lower league level may be part time....but they've all got the same Incompetent Streak running through them, that the full time officials have in the Premier League.

The only one I'll omit from my statement is "Sian Massey-Ellis"...

It's about time this young lady was promoted to be a referee...!!

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 14:19 - Jan 15 with 2382 viewsJack11

I read this and thought why doesn't he give something back to the game that has made his family financially secure for the rest of their lives? Him and his old boy the first to bemoan refs. He should actively do something about it and offer a contribution to football then.
Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 14:36 - Jan 15 with 2326 viewssainthelens

It surely just can't be us that's seeing the bad decisions we are getting EVERY game now..... perhaps we'll get a big one go our way next couple of matches?
Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 14:43 - Jan 15 with 2302 viewssP7qupUf

Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 14:36 - Jan 15 by sainthelens

It surely just can't be us that's seeing the bad decisions we are getting EVERY game now..... perhaps we'll get a big one go our way next couple of matches?

Against Liverpool and Arsenal? Don't think so.
Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 16:58 - Jan 15 with 2111 viewsploppy

I don't subscribe to the "they hate us because we're Welsh" nor the "top 6 teams get decisions in their favour" arguments. If that were the case how do you explain the shocking penalty decisions given against Arsenal recently?

For me it's simpler than that. Refs are simply not good enough and get too many decisions wrong. Linesmen are just as bad (Sian excepted of course). If a player goes to ground within 20yards of a linesman he gets a free kick. That's the rule. It's like "I've got a flag and unless I wave it I haven't got a job". I think they should bring in the Supermarket Rule i.e. if it happened in a supermarket would that person fall down.

Poor penalty decisions are not confined to the PL, as Ferguson found. If you ever watch the lower leagues' highlights programme on Channel 5, you'll see lots of diving and dodgy penalties e.g. Fulham's against Boro last week - ridiculous. It's almost like, if you've made it as a professional footballer, you know how to dive. As if they teach it in the academies.

The unintended consequence of VAR will be that it'll show how many decisions the refs get wrong. It might make them buck their ideas up.
Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 17:06 - Jan 15 with 2088 viewsRevJames

Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 16:58 - Jan 15 by ploppy

I don't subscribe to the "they hate us because we're Welsh" nor the "top 6 teams get decisions in their favour" arguments. If that were the case how do you explain the shocking penalty decisions given against Arsenal recently?

For me it's simpler than that. Refs are simply not good enough and get too many decisions wrong. Linesmen are just as bad (Sian excepted of course). If a player goes to ground within 20yards of a linesman he gets a free kick. That's the rule. It's like "I've got a flag and unless I wave it I haven't got a job". I think they should bring in the Supermarket Rule i.e. if it happened in a supermarket would that person fall down.

Poor penalty decisions are not confined to the PL, as Ferguson found. If you ever watch the lower leagues' highlights programme on Channel 5, you'll see lots of diving and dodgy penalties e.g. Fulham's against Boro last week - ridiculous. It's almost like, if you've made it as a professional footballer, you know how to dive. As if they teach it in the academies.

The unintended consequence of VAR will be that it'll show how many decisions the refs get wrong. It might make them buck their ideas up.

The simple answer is to bring in VAR straight away. What's the problem and why the delay?

It won't slow the game down that much and isn't it better to get the right decision than have officials chased down the tunnel by players and managers? Perhaps the FA are worried it will take the 'drama' and media attention away from the Premier League circus.

Show it to the fans inside the grounds and everyone can be happy that the right decision is made. We might just win a game then
Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 17:09 - Jan 15 with 2073 viewstrampie

Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 16:58 - Jan 15 by ploppy

For everyone one bad decision that goes against the likes of Arsenal they will get two wrong decisions in their favour, it's the opposite for the small clubs.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 17:25 - Jan 15 with 2043 viewsploppy

Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 17:09 - Jan 15 by trampie

For everyone one bad decision that goes against the likes of Arsenal they will get two wrong decisions in their favour, it's the opposite for the small clubs.

Really? Is that a perception or do you have statistics to back it up?
Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 17:52 - Jan 15 with 2000 viewstheloneranger

I listened to an ex England international (Can't remember his name) talking about the stick Alli gets for diving.

His explanation was ...... as Alli gets more experienced he will be able to disguise it better!!.....and therefore will get less abuse when he does dive.... WTF

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Login to get fewer ads

Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 18:22 - Jan 15 with 1936 viewsoldgrey

Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 17:09 - Jan 15 by trampie

Fact is, the better clubs attack more. Therefore they get into the opposition penalty area more. So they will attract more fouls and more penalties than less adventurous teams. No conspiracy.
Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 21:39 - Jan 15 with 1777 viewsgrampajack

Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 18:22 - Jan 15 by oldgrey

Fact is, the better clubs attack more. Therefore they get into the opposition penalty area more. So they will attract more fouls and more penalties than less adventurous teams. No conspiracy.

Fack me......
There's me thinking that you get a free kick / penalty when you get fouled But it's a numbers game like getting tokens for a free coffee in McD's. Really?
Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 23:16 - Jan 15 with 1640 viewsoldgrey

Yes, really.
If you are a team like us who rarely frequent the opposition penalty area then your are less likely to be fouled and win a penalty (you don't say). So the probability of being awarded penalties is going to be lower than for teams who spend longer amounts of time tormenting the opposition inside the area.
Its all about likeliehoods and logic and forms a better basis for understanding the world and football than naive theories about refs being intimidated by fierce managers and big teams.
That doesn't negate the fact that refs make crap decisions and var would be of benefit.
Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 23:45 - Jan 15 with 1599 viewsploppy

Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 23:16 - Jan 15 by oldgrey

Yes, really.
If you are a team like us who rarely frequent the opposition penalty area then your are less likely to be fouled and win a penalty (you don't say). So the probability of being awarded penalties is going to be lower than for teams who spend longer amounts of time tormenting the opposition inside the area.
Its all about likeliehoods and logic and forms a better basis for understanding the world and football than naive theories about refs being intimidated by fierce managers and big teams.
That doesn't negate the fact that refs make crap decisions and var would be of benefit.

Absolutely spot on.
Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 23:54 - Jan 15 with 1588 viewsswanforthemoney

Id hate it to get like the rugby, where you can't really celebrate when the try is scored because it has to go upstairs to check the grounding, foot out of play, or forward pass, etc etc.
The spontaneity of the goal celebration is really why I go to matches. Worried about that element getting spoilt.
Refereeing has always been dreadful, think of all them non existent offsides that used to get given in the seventies and eighties, anyone finding himself goal side of the defence was automatically given even if it was a brilliantly timed run, pass, etc.
It's just looks worse now because so many games are extensively televised.
I always think it levels itself up.
By the way someone mentioned Sian. From where I was sat on Saturday, she failed to give us two pretty obvious throw ins early on in the game. Did TV back that up, or was it the angle we were seated.

I stand in the North Stand

Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 00:19 - Jan 16 with 1563 viewsploppy

Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 23:54 - Jan 15 by swanforthemoney

Id hate it to get like the rugby, where you can't really celebrate when the try is scored because it has to go upstairs to check the grounding, foot out of play, or forward pass, etc etc.
The spontaneity of the goal celebration is really why I go to matches. Worried about that element getting spoilt.
Refereeing has always been dreadful, think of all them non existent offsides that used to get given in the seventies and eighties, anyone finding himself goal side of the defence was automatically given even if it was a brilliantly timed run, pass, etc.
By the way someone mentioned Sian. From where I was sat on Saturday, she failed to give us two pretty obvious throw ins early on in the game. Did TV back that up, or was it the angle we were seated.

Couldn't agree more about the goal celebration and lengthy delays. Not sure what the answer is. I'd probably be happy just reviewing awarded penalty decisions because there's always a delay before the kick's taken. For offsides I expect that ultimately it'll be solved with technology, much like goal line tech and be instantaneous. But we're a long way off.

Now that I've thought about the penalty decisions I'm not so sure. The law of unintended consequences might come in to play. I guess a ref could be more inclined to award a penalty even if he's in doubt and let the review sort it out. Don't want that. This is difficult!
[Post edited 16 Jan 2018 10:39]
Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 07:25 - Jan 16 with 1451 viewsjackal

Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 17:06 - Jan 15 by RevJames

The simple answer is to bring in VAR straight away. What's the problem and why the delay?

It won't slow the game down that much and isn't it better to get the right decision than have officials chased down the tunnel by players and managers? Perhaps the FA are worried it will take the 'drama' and media attention away from the Premier League circus.

Show it to the fans inside the grounds and everyone can be happy that the right decision is made. We might just win a game then

Agree. I don't see it slowing the game up. The players spend most of the time arguing with the ref anyway.

But something must be done about players haranguing refs. As in rugby. They tried to do something a couple of seasons ago by booking players who argued but it seems to be ignored now. If VAR comes in, players must be made to keep out of it.
Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 11:27 - Jan 16 with 1321 viewsjack247

Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 23:54 - Jan 15 by swanforthemoney

Works both ways. How good would it be if Stoke score a last minute equaliser to keep them up and send us down, then amid the hysteria, the VAR rules it out.

The vast, vast majority of goals won’t be questioned anyway.
Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 11:37 - Jan 16 with 1313 viewsjack247

Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 07:25 - Jan 16 by jackal

Agree. I don't see it slowing the game up. The players spend most of the time arguing with the ref anyway.

But something must be done about players haranguing refs. As in rugby. They tried to do something a couple of seasons ago by booking players who argued but it seems to be ignored now. If VAR comes in, players must be made to keep out of it.

As far as i understand it, unlike rugby, refs don’t refer to the VAR, the VAR just steps in when necessary. There would be little point appealing to the ref if they genuinely thought they had a case, just throw their arms up and make a bit of fuss so the VAR has a look.
Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 12:19 - Jan 16 with 1281 viewstrampie

Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 23:16 - Jan 15 by oldgrey

Yes, really.

The be all and end all is the better team get most of the wrong decisions in their favour, this needs to be corrected.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 12:21 - Jan 16 with 1274 viewsjack247

Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 12:19 - Jan 16 by trampie

The be all and end all is the better team get most of the wrong decisions in their favour, this needs to be corrected.

Hard to argue with that
Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 12:26 - Jan 16 with 1269 viewstrampie

It doesn't level itself out, the survey's that have been done show the big teams getting the bulk of the wrong decisions in their favour.
Better to slow the game up a touch and get the correct outcome than allow the wrong decision to stand.
Waiting for a crucial decision brings its own excitement, a correctly overturned goal in some situations will be treated by one section of fans as if a goal is scored no doubt.

Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 12:49 - Jan 16 with 1248 viewsfelixstowe_jack

"The only one I'll omit from my statement is "Sian Massey-Ellis"...
It's about time this young lady was promoted to be a referee...!! "

She won't be promoted to referee because ALL Assistant Referees on the PL have opted to become full time assistants and no longer referee in the lower divisions.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 12:49 - Jan 16 with 1249 viewsJack_Kass

The standard of professionalism from players and managers is disgusting as well.

If there is one thing the referee's group do get right, it's that they conduct themselves in a professional manner, above of those of their competing counterparts.

Darren Ferguson has never officiated a professional game, so how can he criticise the standard of referees in this manner?

Likewise, imagine if a PL/FL referee came out and said DF's tactics were shite and the standard of his management was disgusting, uproar!

All community service should involve being a ref for a season, especially at the lower levels, the attitude in the game is truly horrendous.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2018 12:52]

Poll: FA Cup or Premier League

Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 12:58 - Jan 16 with 1239 viewsMrSwansea

Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 14:19 - Jan 15 by Jack11

I read this and thought why doesn't he give something back to the game that has made his family financially secure for the rest of their lives? Him and his old boy the first to bemoan refs. He should actively do something about it and offer a contribution to football then.

Why?

Arseholes. The lot of you.
Poll: Who has received a pay rise in line with inflation within the last three years?

Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 13:03 - Jan 16 with 1226 viewsjackal

Not giving us throw-ins is doing us a favour. we haven't got a clue what to do with them.
Darren Ferguson: It's disgusting the standard of referees at this level' on 13:17 - Jan 16 with 1209 viewsgrampajack

Yes, really.

Based on fifty fifty fair outcomes then that is the logical reasoning ..... however these are not fifty fifty fair outcomes, these are decisions arising from the skill, viewing angle, experience, eyesight etc of said ref .................. so you're probably correct ...... finger in th'air for most for ours lol
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024