Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport 17:33 - Jan 18 with 4269 viewsunion_jack

Anyone know what that is about. Been there for a while, don't know what it is though.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 17:44 - Jan 18 with 4235 viewsPrivate_Partz

There are two of the things there. The fighter has been there a while and the other one was carted over there after it was used as an exhibition item in one of the airshows a couple of years back.
God knows why. The private air traffic is declining and they appear to have given up on the cafe as it never opens nowadays.
Fairwood is a picture of abject neglect and it is a scandal that a city of our size can't offer some commercial traffic. Particularly as Wales is a complete and utter transport infastructure backwater.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2018 17:46]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 17:58 - Jan 18 with 4185 viewsunion_jack

Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 17:44 - Jan 18 by Private_Partz

There are two of the things there. The fighter has been there a while and the other one was carted over there after it was used as an exhibition item in one of the airshows a couple of years back.
God knows why. The private air traffic is declining and they appear to have given up on the cafe as it never opens nowadays.
Fairwood is a picture of abject neglect and it is a scandal that a city of our size can't offer some commercial traffic. Particularly as Wales is a complete and utter transport infastructure backwater.

Wonder if they'd mind if I took it for a spin?

Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 18:20 - Jan 18 with 4138 viewslifelong

Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 17:44 - Jan 18 by Private_Partz

I remember having a flight to Jersey from the airport in the mid 60’s.

Commercial flights have been tried, since that time, with little success.
Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 18:24 - Jan 18 with 4126 viewsunion_jack

Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 18:20 - Jan 18 by lifelong

I did that journey as well in the 70s.

Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 19:07 - Jan 18 with 4039 viewsPrivate_Partz

Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 18:20 - Jan 18 by lifelong

When I moved out to Dunvant in the 1960s with my parents I recall Cambrian Airways and Air Lingus flying in there with Viscounts and Dakotas.
I recall my pal from Belfast flying into Fairwood on his summer visits.
Then you had the Air Wales effort which was a success story and it seemed to me it failed because of reasons other than commercial.
It seems very odd that Fairwood was able to support scheduled and charter flights when the air traffic was considerably less than it is today.
The problem we have now is Rhoose is failing due to competition from Bristol. A regional airport, with links to London, Dublin and Amsterdam, could possibly be a success if it was located further westwards.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 19:20 - Jan 18 with 4008 viewsglanmorjak

The nimbys and Gower Society put paid to increasing traffic in and out of Fairwood
Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 20:17 - Jan 18 with 3872 viewsPrivate_Partz

Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 19:20 - Jan 18 by glanmorjak

The nimbys and Gower Society put paid to increasing traffic in and out of Fairwood

That is how I understood it.
My pal in Three Crosses was dead nuts against it whereas I had no objections.
The Air Wales flights and those before them used to fly right over my house! Not his!
In the early days the pilots talking to the control tower would actually came through on the TV. :-)
They have a point though. Communications to Fairwood are poor. I would sooner have seen Pembrey or the Felindre site alonside the M4 used.
Tip of the iceburg though we need a couple more in Mid andNorth Wales. The current site in Anglesey is too remote.

Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 20:29 - Jan 18 with 3839 viewsunion_jack

Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 20:17 - Jan 18 by Private_Partz

That is how I understood it.
My pal in Three Crosses was dead nuts against it whereas I had no objections.
The Air Wales flights and those before them used to fly right over my house! Not his!
In the early days the pilots talking to the control tower would actually came through on the TV. :-)
They have a point though. Communications to Fairwood are poor. I would sooner have seen Pembrey or the Felindre site alonside the M4 used.
Tip of the iceburg though we need a couple more in Mid andNorth Wales. The current site in Anglesey is too remote.

Access to Fairwood doesn't lend itself to a proper airport. It's in an AONB so little could be fine without protest.

I'd have no problem personally with the aircraft. I get Hercules transporters coming directly over my house at very low level and love it. But road traffic increase wouldn't be good for Gower.

Login to get fewer ads

Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 20:39 - Jan 18 with 3807 viewsPrivate_Partz

Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 20:29 - Jan 18 by union_jack

Access to Fairwood doesn't lend itself to a proper airport. It's in an AONB so little could be fine without protest.

I'd have no problem personally with the aircraft. I get Hercules transporters coming directly over my house at very low level and love it. But road traffic increase wouldn't be good for Gower.

Yeh I watch those big buggars coming over. We must be near neighbours :-).
Apparently they only buzz Fairwood due to the landing expenses. They would land in an emergency.
They can come down on beaches. I remember one landing on Pembrey sands as an exercise quite a few years ago.

Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 20:52 - Jan 18 with 3777 viewsRobbie

Dan Air to Jersey from Swansea if I can remember ?
Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 21:08 - Jan 18 with 3743 viewsNogginthenog

Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 20:39 - Jan 18 by Private_Partz

Yeh I watch those big buggars coming over. We must be near neighbours :-).
Apparently they only buzz Fairwood due to the landing expenses. They would land in an emergency.
They can come down on beaches. I remember one landing on Pembrey sands as an exercise quite a few years ago.

The Hercules and new A400 Atlas transport aircraft use Fairwood for practice approaches only. There is never intention to land. I have taken photographs of Hercules and A400s landing on Pembrey beach.

The new aircraft is a Tornado Gr1 and is the new gate guardian for the airport.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2018 21:58]
Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 21:14 - Jan 18 with 3730 viewsFlashberryjack

Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 20:52 - Jan 18 by Robbie

Dan Air to Jersey from Swansea if I can remember ?

Yeah! I recall we used to call them "Dan Dair"

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 21:20 - Jan 18 with 3712 viewsRobbie

Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 21:14 - Jan 18 by Flashberryjack

Yeah! I recall we used to call them "Dan Dair"

Or Dan Dare ? , As a child the aircraft looked as if if they were out of a movie .
Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 21:51 - Jan 18 with 3658 viewsJack59

My understanding is that these are the first of 24 fighter bombers that have been ordered by the City & County & Dyfed. They will be used mainly as a deterrent in the forthcoming independence claim against Cardiff rule.
Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 03:25 - Jan 19 with 3502 viewsTreforys_Jack

There is a Hawker Hunter there on the runway or was the end of the summer and a Delfin Russian training jet which is the gate guardian. I was told the Hunter was being transported to RAF St Athan for storage or disposal so it may no longer be there. Aircraft restoration is such a huge business at the moment its a shame that there is nothing happening at Swansea Airport. i was reading that there has been a Spitfire or Hurricane restored and returned to the air every year for the last 15 yrs . Wiki says there are 30 airworthy Spitfires and 7 Hurricanes in the UK alone.
Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 10:05 - Jan 19 with 3379 viewsNogginthenog

Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 03:25 - Jan 19 by Treforys_Jack

There is a Hawker Hunter there on the runway or was the end of the summer and a Delfin Russian training jet which is the gate guardian. I was told the Hunter was being transported to RAF St Athan for storage or disposal so it may no longer be there. Aircraft restoration is such a huge business at the moment its a shame that there is nothing happening at Swansea Airport. i was reading that there has been a Spitfire or Hurricane restored and returned to the air every year for the last 15 yrs . Wiki says there are 30 airworthy Spitfires and 7 Hurricanes in the UK alone.

The Hunter was dismantled and restored at St Athan and is now with a new owner in France.
Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 00:10 - Jan 20 with 3217 viewsTreforys_Jack

Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 10:05 - Jan 19 by Nogginthenog

The Hunter was dismantled and restored at St Athan and is now with a new owner in France.

Cheers, good job as it was just rotting. I didn't realise there is a Tornado up there now, will have a look next time I'm going past.
Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 12:28 - Jan 20 with 3115 viewsAnotherJohn

Some information about the Tornado.

Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 12:32 - Jan 20 with 3113 viewsunion_jack

Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 12:28 - Jan 20 by AnotherJohn

Some information about the Tornado.

Thanks AJ.

Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 13:33 - Jan 20 with 3077 viewswestside

There's a new aerospace museum open in Filton Bristol about Concorde

http://aerospacebristol.org/
Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 15:06 - Jan 20 with 3032 viewsBrynCartwright

Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 03:25 - Jan 19 by Treforys_Jack

A Hurricane flew over our house in the Bont a couple of weeks back. Fantastic, unmistakable sound of that glorious Merlin engine. What a beaut.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 17:04 - Jan 20 with 2983 viewsairedale

Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 17:58 - Jan 18 by union_jack

Wonder if they'd mind if I took it for a spin?

Certainly not! You’d be straight up to Cardiff with it.
Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 22:18 - Jan 20 with 2876 viewsunion_jack

Fighter Jet At Fairwood Airport on 17:04 - Jan 20 by airedale

Certainly not! You’d be straight up to Cardiff with it.

What harm could it do ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024