Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Christopher Hitchens 13:50 - Jan 19 with 12447 viewsLohengrin

Any other admirers on here? I'm about fifty or so pages from finishing a re-reading of Why Orwell Matters and seriously considering going back to the start and doing it all over again for the third time. I've read any number of commentaries on Orwell, any that have come up over the years, really, but Hitchens is in a class all his own.

You may not agree with everything he has to say, I certainly haven't on many occasions, on any number of themes, but you can't but help admire the way he put his views across. It's such a shame he was taken before the Trump Presidency he would have made for compulsive, hilarious reading.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Christopher Hitchens on 13:31 - Jan 22 with 2330 viewsacejack3065

Christopher Hitchens on 13:21 - Jan 22 by Lohengrin

In 2018 why would anybody have the least need to invent offended people when they can watch an endless parade of permanently scandalised Momentum supporters file past on Newsnight at the flick of the TV remote?

Have you got Sky Movies, young Ace? If you have access go to the all movies tab and select 1984. One of the opening scenes features a man with a trimmed grey beard exhorting his indoctrinated audience to scream all the louder during their 'two minutes hate.'

See if it reminds you of anybody or anything...

I'm more of a Netflix and chill kind of guy so dont have sky movies

Are you talking about the film adaptation of the book Nineteen Eighty four starring John Hurt? I've seen the film and read the book. Tbh I thought the book was better than the film.

In defense of Momentum (for once), I think the Times scoop on them about deselection was a bit unfair. None of them are organised enough to get a target list of 50 MPs together. Most of them couldn't find their @rse with both hands, organizationally speaking.
Christopher Hitchens on 13:46 - Jan 22 with 2316 viewsLohengrin

Christopher Hitchens on 13:31 - Jan 22 by acejack3065

I'm more of a Netflix and chill kind of guy so dont have sky movies

Are you talking about the film adaptation of the book Nineteen Eighty four starring John Hurt? I've seen the film and read the book. Tbh I thought the book was better than the film.

In defense of Momentum (for once), I think the Times scoop on them about deselection was a bit unfair. None of them are organised enough to get a target list of 50 MPs together. Most of them couldn't find their @rse with both hands, organizationally speaking.

Yes that's the film, Ace. Richard Burton's last turn and he took it hammier than Peppa Pig. Of course the book is better. Books are almost always better.

" In defence of Momentum..."

No! No! No! Don't be tempted down that path, young fella'. You called them right the first time. Stick to that. Keep your distance, don't get sucked in. With all due apologies to Schopenhauer for my mangled paraphrasing, bear in mind what the three stages of acceptance are: First comes ridicule then gradually empathy before finally the embrace.

Keep the f***kin' things at arms length, just keep pointing and laughing. They are stained, soiled people. Don't allow them close enough for any of it to rub off.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 11:17]

Christopher Hitchens on 13:53 - Jan 22 with 2307 viewsacejack3065

Christopher Hitchens on 13:46 - Jan 22 by Lohengrin

Yes that's the film, Ace. Richard Burton's last turn and he took it hammier than Peppa Pig. Of course the book is better. Books are almost always better.

" In defence of Momentum..."

No! No! No! Don't be tempted down that path, young fella'. You called them right the first time. Stick to that. Keep your distance, don't get sucked in. With all due apologies to Schopenhauer for my mangled paraphrasing, bear in mind what the three stages of acceptance are: First comes ridicule then gradually empathy before finally the embrace.

Keep the f***kin' things at arms length, just keep pointing and laughing. They are stained, soiled people. Don't allow them close enough for any of it to rub off.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 11:17]

I leave them well enough alone. I'm sure they've got enough votes at meetings to pass motions about nationalizing the airlines without me. Just calling out #FakeNews when I see it.

Was unaware that was Burton's last role. It's got nothing on his narration in Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2018 13:55]
Christopher Hitchens on 14:07 - Jan 22 with 2300 viewsLohengrin

Christopher Hitchens on 13:53 - Jan 22 by acejack3065

I leave them well enough alone. I'm sure they've got enough votes at meetings to pass motions about nationalizing the airlines without me. Just calling out #FakeNews when I see it.

Was unaware that was Burton's last role. It's got nothing on his narration in Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2018 13:55]

I can remember buying the double album in Woolworth in 1978. Still got it, Ace. Still play it now and again.

Christopher Hitchens on 16:17 - Jan 22 with 2266 viewsEbo

Christopher Hitchens on 14:07 - Jan 22 by Lohengrin

I can remember buying the double album in Woolworth in 1978. Still got it, Ace. Still play it now and again.

As a young 10 year old when it came out, it was shit your pants scary that album. Still gives me the heebee jeebees even now!

Back to the OP - Hitchens describes himself as Social Democrat and a Marxist yet whenever I have read or listened to what he has to say he seems far from it.

I agree with some of his warblings, but he's a bit of a complex character at times and a bit pushy with his opinions.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Christopher Hitchens on 16:27 - Jan 22 with 2257 viewswestwalesed

Christopher Hitchens on 21:22 - Jan 19 by Lohengrin

"How many times has a male friend given you his phone number and details of exactly where he'll be at exact times when he goes on a date for the first time in case he gets physically attacked by the woman he's meeting?

Good grief! Have you ever felt the need to do that, love?

A snapshot taken from Scotland for the sake of being random: http://www.gov.scot/Topics/People/Equality/Equalities/DataGrid/Gender/GenCrimeJu

Risk of being a victim of crime: The risk of being a victim of any crime was slightly higher for men than for women. 15.6% of men had been the victim of at least one crime compared with 13.6% of women.
Men had a higher risk of being a victim of violent crime compared with women (3.5% and 1.8% respectively). Young men (aged 16-24) had the highest risk of being a victim of any crime (23.6%). Young men also had the highest risk of violent crime (8.7%), and were over twice as likely to be a victim of violent crime than women of the same age (3.2%).

Fear of Crime: Women were less likely than men to feel safe walking alone in their neighbourhood after dark (64% compared to 86% of men)

So it seems that perception doesn't necessarily mirror reality.

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Christopher Hitchens on 16:42 - Jan 22 with 2246 viewslondonlisa2001

Christopher Hitchens on 16:27 - Jan 22 by westwalesed

A snapshot taken from Scotland for the sake of being random: http://www.gov.scot/Topics/People/Equality/Equalities/DataGrid/Gender/GenCrimeJu

Risk of being a victim of crime: The risk of being a victim of any crime was slightly higher for men than for women. 15.6% of men had been the victim of at least one crime compared with 13.6% of women.
Men had a higher risk of being a victim of violent crime compared with women (3.5% and 1.8% respectively). Young men (aged 16-24) had the highest risk of being a victim of any crime (23.6%). Young men also had the highest risk of violent crime (8.7%), and were over twice as likely to be a victim of violent crime than women of the same age (3.2%).

Fear of Crime: Women were less likely than men to feel safe walking alone in their neighbourhood after dark (64% compared to 86% of men)

So it seems that perception doesn't necessarily mirror reality.

"The biggest difference between women and men was for sexual assault, with women nearly 5 times as likely to have experienced this form of abuse as men (3.2% compared with 0.7%). "

Office of National Statistics.

Hence the point about dating.

I completely agree than men are far more likely than women to experience other forms of violent crime, such as stabbing, shooting and general attacks. Young men even more so. Young men from certain ethnic backgrounds yet more so again.
Christopher Hitchens on 16:46 - Jan 22 with 2238 viewswestwalesed

Christopher Hitchens on 16:42 - Jan 22 by londonlisa2001

"The biggest difference between women and men was for sexual assault, with women nearly 5 times as likely to have experienced this form of abuse as men (3.2% compared with 0.7%). "

Office of National Statistics.

Hence the point about dating.

I completely agree than men are far more likely than women to experience other forms of violent crime, such as stabbing, shooting and general attacks. Young men even more so. Young men from certain ethnic backgrounds yet more so again.

I was responding to the point about women being physically assaulted on a first date.

It would make sense that women are far more likely to be victims of sexual assault. I do think the stats might be skewed somewhat by the fact that men are probably "supposed to love it"!

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Login to get fewer ads

Christopher Hitchens on 16:51 - Jan 22 with 2228 viewslondonlisa2001

Christopher Hitchens on 16:46 - Jan 22 by westwalesed

I was responding to the point about women being physically assaulted on a first date.

It would make sense that women are far more likely to be victims of sexual assault. I do think the stats might be skewed somewhat by the fact that men are probably "supposed to love it"!

Yes, I know you were. That would be covered under those sexual assault figures I just quoted.
Christopher Hitchens on 17:01 - Jan 22 with 2218 viewsLohengrin

Christopher Hitchens on 16:17 - Jan 22 by Ebo

As a young 10 year old when it came out, it was shit your pants scary that album. Still gives me the heebee jeebees even now!

Back to the OP - Hitchens describes himself as Social Democrat and a Marxist yet whenever I have read or listened to what he has to say he seems far from it.

I agree with some of his warblings, but he's a bit of a complex character at times and a bit pushy with his opinions.

After young Ace had brought it up I went digging for it and put it on, side 4 is playing as I type this. It was a brilliantly conceived project, fair play, and it has easily withstood the test of time.

Hitchens? I believe he did start out pretty far to the left, as did his brother funnily enough. I think what he was above all was a contrarian. He was a well educated, superbly-read man who was able to turn that canon of acquired knowledge on whatever dogma hove into view and blast holes in it. His value for me lay in making people think, making them reassess whatever beliefs they may have held in the light of the criticisms he levelled. How do you put a value on that? It's priceless beyond measure.

Christopher Hitchens on 17:06 - Jan 22 with 2214 viewsexiledclaseboy

Christopher Hitchens on 17:01 - Jan 22 by Lohengrin

After young Ace had brought it up I went digging for it and put it on, side 4 is playing as I type this. It was a brilliantly conceived project, fair play, and it has easily withstood the test of time.

Hitchens? I believe he did start out pretty far to the left, as did his brother funnily enough. I think what he was above all was a contrarian. He was a well educated, superbly-read man who was able to turn that canon of acquired knowledge on whatever dogma hove into view and blast holes in it. His value for me lay in making people think, making them reassess whatever beliefs they may have held in the light of the criticisms he levelled. How do you put a value on that? It's priceless beyond measure.

“Contrarian” was always the first thing I thought of when considering Hitchens the Elder. He basically liked to annoy people and was usually willing to espouse any position that would annoy the most people or the people who was actually addressing at any given time.

For all his faults, he always struck me as being far less odious than his rancid brother.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2018 17:07]

Poll: Tory leader

Christopher Hitchens on 17:12 - Jan 22 with 2206 viewsLohengrin

Christopher Hitchens on 17:06 - Jan 22 by exiledclaseboy

“Contrarian” was always the first thing I thought of when considering Hitchens the Elder. He basically liked to annoy people and was usually willing to espouse any position that would annoy the most people or the people who was actually addressing at any given time.

For all his faults, he always struck me as being far less odious than his rancid brother.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2018 17:07]

Sounds like he'd have enjoyed it on here late night weekends, Sir Andrew.

His brother revels in the role of pantomime villain for lefties. He seems to enjoy the part immensely. He's made a bloody good living at it too.

Christopher Hitchens on 17:15 - Jan 22 with 2200 viewsexiledclaseboy

Christopher Hitchens on 17:12 - Jan 22 by Lohengrin

Sounds like he'd have enjoyed it on here late night weekends, Sir Andrew.

His brother revels in the role of pantomime villain for lefties. He seems to enjoy the part immensely. He's made a bloody good living at it too.

He’d have fit right in in here with all the other contrarians.

An appearance from Hitchens Jnr always has me reaching for the TV or radio off switch. There aren’t many people who can make me do that these days but Peter Hitchens does. That would probably be job done as far as he’s concerned mind.

Poll: Tory leader

Christopher Hitchens on 17:28 - Jan 22 with 2187 viewsLohengrin

Christopher Hitchens on 17:15 - Jan 22 by exiledclaseboy

He’d have fit right in in here with all the other contrarians.

An appearance from Hitchens Jnr always has me reaching for the TV or radio off switch. There aren’t many people who can make me do that these days but Peter Hitchens does. That would probably be job done as far as he’s concerned mind.

It's the nose, isn't it? It's the way he puts it in the air and looks down it when he's making a point.

Christopher Hitchens on 19:28 - Jan 22 with 2150 viewsEbo

Christopher Hitchens on 17:01 - Jan 22 by Lohengrin

You know the part of the story where the artilleryman is down the cellar and the claw comes down? Well, I was listening to it on headphones in the dark when at that very moment my mother (God bless her) tapped me on the shoulder to tell me my tea was ready. Scarred for life at 10!

Christopher Hitchens on 22:49 - Jan 22 with 2101 viewsLohengrin

Christopher Hitchens on 19:28 - Jan 22 by Ebo

You know the part of the story where the artilleryman is down the cellar and the claw comes down? Well, I was listening to it on headphones in the dark when at that very moment my mother (God bless her) tapped me on the shoulder to tell me my tea was ready. Scarred for life at 10!

Ha! I know exactly the passage you're talking about, Ebs. I can picture you hitting the roof.

Christopher Hitchens on 00:10 - Jan 23 with 2079 viewsEbo

Christopher Hitchens on 22:49 - Jan 22 by Lohengrin

Ha! I know exactly the passage you're talking about, Ebs. I can picture you hitting the roof.

I nearly had another when that header hit the post earlier!

Christopher Hitchens on 06:48 - Jan 23 with 2035 viewsMo_Wives

Christopher Hitchens on 05:57 - Jan 22 by Mo_Wives

"I remember the silly childish post you made trying to compare that daft American university to Jim Crow. I said quite clearly I thought their actions were wrong, silly and self defeating. You actually congratulated me for saying so."

But were their actions racist, Hump?

Were the actions of the singer Lido Pimienta racist when she told white people to move to the back of the hall?

When I complain about these things do you think I'm disagreeing with racism or am I, in fact, being a whiny c*nt who is seeing people fighting racism (with segregation) as picking on white people?

BTW, are you OK? you seem very angry lately.

My good friend Humpty may have missed this post and I would really love to know his answers to these three questions (he can forget the last one about him being OK if he wants, I don't really care).

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Christopher Hitchens on 21:56 - Jan 23 with 1952 viewsHwylBento

I agree with the way he says things. I can't say I agree with everything he said but it was thought provoking. Sometimes that's enough
Christopher Hitchens on 05:43 - Jan 24 with 1900 viewsMo_Wives

Christopher Hitchens on 06:48 - Jan 23 by Mo_Wives

My good friend Humpty may have missed this post and I would really love to know his answers to these three questions (he can forget the last one about him being OK if he wants, I don't really care).

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Christopher Hitchens on 12:57 - Jan 24 with 1867 viewsNookiejack

I am not religious and have always liked Christopher Hitchens.

This was a very good debate though and William Lane Craig certainly held his own.

Does God Exist? William Lane Craig vs. Christopher Hitchens

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024