Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Christopher Hitchens 13:50 - Jan 19 with 12463 viewsLohengrin

Any other admirers on here? I'm about fifty or so pages from finishing a re-reading of Why Orwell Matters and seriously considering going back to the start and doing it all over again for the third time. I've read any number of commentaries on Orwell, any that have come up over the years, really, but Hitchens is in a class all his own.

You may not agree with everything he has to say, I certainly haven't on many occasions, on any number of themes, but you can't but help admire the way he put his views across. It's such a shame he was taken before the Trump Presidency he would have made for compulsive, hilarious reading.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Christopher Hitchens on 17:41 - Jan 19 with 1432 viewsMo_Wives

Christopher Hitchens on 17:37 - Jan 19 by londonlisa2001

No. They are not. They may be criticised, but not because they are male.

And I don't need people to defend me or anything similar. I'm more than capable of doing it myself. But it's genuinely shocking that such a disgusting comment can be made.

I don't think he criticised you because you're female, Lisa. I think he did it because he doesn't like YOU...not women.

It's very comforting to think that everyone who doesn't like you is a misogynist, but sometimes people may not just like you.

Can I get an 'oof' from Lohengrin?
[Post edited 19 Jan 2018 17:58]

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Christopher Hitchens on 17:45 - Jan 19 with 1425 viewsMo_Wives

Christopher Hitchens on 17:40 - Jan 19 by londonlisa2001

I'm not remotely attacking his sexuality. As you well know.

Him not being tarred as homophobic because of it is the whole point.

Made a mistake. Edited post
[Post edited 19 Jan 2018 17:47]

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Christopher Hitchens on 17:48 - Jan 19 with 1418 viewslondonlisa2001

Christopher Hitchens on 17:41 - Jan 19 by Mo_Wives

I don't think he criticised you because you're female, Lisa. I think he did it because he doesn't like YOU...not women.

It's very comforting to think that everyone who doesn't like you is a misogynist, but sometimes people may not just like you.

It's not the dislike. I don't give a toss. In fact, I'd be alarmed if he did like me. Lots of people don't like me. Male and female. Thankfully lots of others do. Male and female. That's good enough for me.

It's the way it is done. The sexual reference. It's misogynistic bullying.
Christopher Hitchens on 17:49 - Jan 19 with 1417 viewsLohengrin

Christopher Hitchens on 17:41 - Jan 19 by Mo_Wives

Oof!

NB: I would like to take this opportunity to also state an 'oof' in no way invalidates my unrequited love for the metropolitan fox in question...

Christopher Hitchens on 17:51 - Jan 19 with 1412 viewsMo_Wives

Christopher Hitchens on 17:40 - Jan 19 by londonlisa2001

I'm not remotely attacking his sexuality. As you well know.

Him not being tarred as homophobic because of it is the whole point.

Could you provide the evidence that he is not gay?

Until you do I don't know why we are talking about it. I don't think it's wise to discuss how somebody's sister told me her husband said this person use to eat clam...

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Christopher Hitchens on 17:58 - Jan 19 with 1396 viewsLohengrin

Christopher Hitchens on 17:51 - Jan 19 by Mo_Wives

Until you do I don't know why we are talking about it. I don't think it's wise to discuss how somebody's sister told me her husband said this person use to eat clam...

He is something of a chameleon, mind....

Working at the Catholic Herald:

Not working at the Catholic Herald any more:

Christopher Hitchens on 18:02 - Jan 19 with 1389 viewsMo_Wives

Christopher Hitchens on 17:58 - Jan 19 by Lohengrin

He is something of a chameleon, mind....

Working at the Catholic Herald:

Not working at the Catholic Herald any more:

So a man has had to lie about his sexuality to get ahead in his chosen industry. Aren't we suppose to celebrate these brave people?

I think we need a straight pride movement. No more will we be held back for our sexual preferences

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Christopher Hitchens on 18:05 - Jan 19 with 1384 viewslondonlisa2001

Christopher Hitchens on 17:51 - Jan 19 by Mo_Wives

i didn't say he wasn't gay.

I said he changed sexuality and religion.
Login to get fewer ads

Christopher Hitchens on 18:12 - Jan 19 with 1378 viewsMo_Wives

Christopher Hitchens on 18:05 - Jan 19 by londonlisa2001

i didn't say he wasn't gay.

I said he changed sexuality and religion.

Can you provide evidence of your claims?

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Christopher Hitchens on 18:13 - Jan 19 with 1375 viewsKerouac

Christopher Hitchens on 14:24 - Jan 19 by Lohengrin

His demolition of Shirley Williams and the QT audience was a joy to behold.

He expressed what I was thinking better than any politician of the time.

It still makes me shudder to see the audience roundly applaud that claptrap, fecking spineless cowards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Christopher Hitchens on 18:16 - Jan 19 with 1367 viewsLohengrin

Christopher Hitchens on 18:13 - Jan 19 by Kerouac

He expressed what I was thinking better than any politician of the time.

It still makes me shudder to see the audience roundly applaud that claptrap, fecking spineless cowards.

They have been conditioned over a period of decades to see Britain's decline in world-standing as an unalloyed good thing. You see the same on here, you see it regularly.

Christopher Hitchens on 18:22 - Jan 19 with 1358 viewsWarwickHunt

Christopher Hitchens on 14:24 - Jan 19 by Lohengrin

His demolition of Shirley Williams and the QT audience was a joy to behold.

Magnificent stuff.

Funnily enough, I'm in the middle of Nick Cohen's book on censorship - another excellent journalist unafraid of skewering the "liberal left" when it spinelessly disappears up its own arse.
Christopher Hitchens on 18:25 - Jan 19 with 1356 viewsLohengrin

Christopher Hitchens on 18:22 - Jan 19 by WarwickHunt

Magnificent stuff.

Funnily enough, I'm in the middle of Nick Cohen's book on censorship - another excellent journalist unafraid of skewering the "liberal left" when it spinelessly disappears up its own arse.

You can't read this book...

I've got a copy on the shelf in the other room. It ought to be on every fifth form curriculum in the country.

Christopher Hitchens on 18:58 - Jan 19 with 1324 viewsicecoldjack

Christopher Hitchens on 17:11 - Jan 19 by londonlisa2001

I'm offended that a woman on this forum can be subjected to a really disgusting comment and no one thinks twice about it and would rather spend their energy p*ssing around.

Offended ? that's the problem with the world right there, people offended by utter pointless irrelevent b011ocks said with no malice what so ever .

#metoo no doubt .
Christopher Hitchens on 19:13 - Jan 19 with 1313 viewsSpearchucker_Jones

Christopher Hitchens on 18:58 - Jan 19 by icecoldjack

Offended ? that's the problem with the world right there, people offended by utter pointless irrelevent b011ocks said with no malice what so ever .

#metoo no doubt .

?

It was clearly a malicious, offensive and completely unnecessary comment by the forum fúckwit-in-chief.
Christopher Hitchens on 19:19 - Jan 19 with 1299 viewsicecoldjack

Christopher Hitchens on 19:13 - Jan 19 by Spearchucker_Jones

?

It was clearly a malicious, offensive and completely unnecessary comment by the forum fúckwit-in-chief.

Malicious ? offensive ? on an internet forum ? oh no !!! the pain and the hurt must be unbearable ! ffs i wish people would just get a grip and base themselves in reality .

If people get offended on an internet forum real life must be a real fookin' ball ache...assuming you have balls of course, if you don't ,maybe fanny ache instead ??
Christopher Hitchens on 19:32 - Jan 19 with 1290 viewsSpearchucker_Jones

Christopher Hitchens on 19:19 - Jan 19 by icecoldjack

Malicious ? offensive ? on an internet forum ? oh no !!! the pain and the hurt must be unbearable ! ffs i wish people would just get a grip and base themselves in reality .

If people get offended on an internet forum real life must be a real fookin' ball ache...assuming you have balls of course, if you don't ,maybe fanny ache instead ??

So because it's an internet forum anything goes?

Is there any line in the sand for you on said forums? Racist jokes ok?

Though clearly it's ok for you for a woman to be told to stop taking part in a debate and and go away and play with a sex toy instead.
Christopher Hitchens on 19:38 - Jan 19 with 1274 viewsLohengrin

Christopher Hitchens on 19:32 - Jan 19 by Spearchucker_Jones

Though clearly it's ok for you for a woman to be told to stop taking part in a debate and and go away and play with a sex toy instead.

" Is there any line in the sand for you on said forums? Racist jokes ok?

The jury's still out on that one. Depends on the joke, I suppose? What's your opinion, Spearchucker?
[Post edited 19 Jan 2018 19:40]

Christopher Hitchens on 19:53 - Jan 19 with 1261 viewsSpearchucker_Jones

Christopher Hitchens on 19:38 - Jan 19 by Lohengrin

" Is there any line in the sand for you on said forums? Racist jokes ok?

The jury's still out on that one. Depends on the joke, I suppose? What's your opinion, Spearchucker?
[Post edited 19 Jan 2018 19:40]

Yes, I think it does; for clarity I could have said 'clearly offensive' racist jokes, but I think it was implied (or is hoping for intrinsic common sense too hopeful?).
Christopher Hitchens on 20:13 - Jan 19 with 1242 viewsexiledclaseboy

What an excellent thread. PikeyPaul’s usual pointless and stupid contribution notwithstanding. Obviously.

Poll: Tory leader

Christopher Hitchens on 20:20 - Jan 19 with 1228 viewsicecoldjack

Christopher Hitchens on 19:32 - Jan 19 by Spearchucker_Jones

Lets keep it all in the context here please, offended by a rubber cock is what we're talking about .

It's an internet forum and things will get said, as for a line in the sand, thats the point, what will be one persons line in the sand will be different for the next person, so what is actually offensive ? we rely on moral compass to guide us through life not some weird lefty agenda where everything is turned upside down .

being offended about a rubber cock is pretty much as snowflake as things get, that's my point, nothing to do with a line in the fookin sand or racist jokes.

Virtue signaling that a rubber cock is offensive shows just how upside down things have got . Utter nonsense .
Christopher Hitchens on 20:22 - Jan 19 with 1224 viewsexiledclaseboy

Christopher Hitchens on 20:20 - Jan 19 by icecoldjack

Lets keep it all in the context here please, offended by a rubber cock is what we're talking about .

It's an internet forum and things will get said, as for a line in the sand, thats the point, what will be one persons line in the sand will be different for the next person, so what is actually offensive ? we rely on moral compass to guide us through life not some weird lefty agenda where everything is turned upside down .

being offended about a rubber cock is pretty much as snowflake as things get, that's my point, nothing to do with a line in the fookin sand or racist jokes.

Virtue signaling that a rubber cock is offensive shows just how upside down things have got . Utter nonsense .

I started counting the cliches and platitudes in that post but there were more than I have fingers. And toes.

Poll: Tory leader

Christopher Hitchens on 20:27 - Jan 19 with 1218 viewsicecoldjack

Christopher Hitchens on 20:22 - Jan 19 by exiledclaseboy

I started counting the cliches and platitudes in that post but there were more than I have fingers. And toes.

Industrial accident ?
Christopher Hitchens on 20:37 - Jan 19 with 1206 viewslondonlisa2001

Christopher Hitchens on 18:58 - Jan 19 by icecoldjack

#metoo no doubt .

No malice?

Laughable.

As for the #metoo dig, as it happens I don't know of a single woman including myself that hasn't been subjected to some little sh*t groping them,assaulting them or generally acting in a way that I bet you've never had to put up with.

Glad you find it all so funny though.
Christopher Hitchens on 20:42 - Jan 19 with 1201 viewslondonlisa2001

Christopher Hitchens on 19:19 - Jan 19 by icecoldjack

This is a direct quote from you just a couple of weeks ago:

"My general rule tends to be , don't say anything to somebody on social media that you wouldn't be comfortable saying to their face in the pub ."

Now I don't know what sh*thole pubs you frequent, but in any pub I've been in, some random thick bloke walking up to my table and interrupting the conversation to suggest I go and use a sex toy would be met with a round slap.

No one has said there's any pain and hurt, simply that it is unacceptable for a woman (or man for that matter, but he wouldn't bloody dare) to be subjected to a little imbecile making that sort of comment.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024