Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No subject 18:48 - Jan 28 with 9091 viewsYossarian

Welsh Labour to give the vote to 16 year olds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-42848685

As a Labour voter, I think this smacks of opportunism. I understand this generation are more apathetic than ever but are young people are more likely to vote for parties of the Left?

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

No subject on 18:56 - Jan 28 with 4553 viewsLohengrin

If Llafur and Plaid are running with the notion that young = left I'd suggest they have a chat with kids in the east stand before getting too carried away. ..

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

No subject on 19:11 - Jan 28 with 4535 viewsexiledclaseboy

I’ve no doubt that this is a nakedly political move by Welsh Labour but extending the franchise to 16/17 year olds is a positive move as far as I’m concerned so reasons aside, I’m all for it.

Poll: Tory leader

No subject on 19:18 - Jan 28 with 4519 viewsLohengrin

No subject on 19:11 - Jan 28 by exiledclaseboy

I’ve no doubt that this is a nakedly political move by Welsh Labour but extending the franchise to 16/17 year olds is a positive move as far as I’m concerned so reasons aside, I’m all for it.

Look at it logically for a moment, at sixteen you're either still in secondary school or barely out of it. At that age you've had no opportunity to develop what is hopefully an informed opinion about the big wide world because you won't have inhabited it.

No subject on 19:20 - Jan 28 with 4513 viewsexiledclaseboy

No subject on 19:18 - Jan 28 by Lohengrin

Look at it logically for a moment, at sixteen you're either still in secondary school or barely out of it. At that age you've had no opportunity to develop what is hopefully an informed opinion about the big wide world because you won't have inhabited it.

I think you’re underestimating some kids of that age at least. And let’s be honest, how many “of age” voters actually form anything like an informed opinion themselves?
[Post edited 28 Jan 2018 19:24]

No subject on 19:25 - Jan 28 with 4498 viewsLohengrin

No subject on 19:20 - Jan 28 by exiledclaseboy

I think you’re underestimating some kids of that age at least. And let’s be honest, how many “of age” voters actually form anything like an informed opinion themselves?
[Post edited 28 Jan 2018 19:24]

Are you suggesting a franchise restricted to those who have reached some level of academic attainment?

No subject on 19:26 - Jan 28 with 4496 viewsperchrockjack

At 16 you think you know it all.

At 30 you know you know fook all

Kids again being used mercilessly

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

No subject on 19:27 - Jan 28 with 4498 viewsDJack

No subject on 19:18 - Jan 28 by Lohengrin

Do you believe that the general population has an informed opinion, I wish! Most of the population are bored by (not interested in) politics and take whatever the easy option is for themselves. Most only observe facebook or twitter headline/trending comments. Hell, I don't bother too much with delving into the issues presented.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

No subject on 19:27 - Jan 28 with 4498 viewsexiledclaseboy

No subject on 19:25 - Jan 28 by Lohengrin

Are you suggesting a franchise restricted to those who have reached some level of academic attainment?

No. How the hell did you get to that from what I said?

Login to get fewer ads

No subject on 19:34 - Jan 28 with 4486 viewsLohengrin

No subject on 19:27 - Jan 28 by exiledclaseboy

No. How the hell did you get to that from what I said?

You asked how many voter were capable of excogitating informed opinion. It's hardly a leap.

No subject on 19:35 - Jan 28 with 4484 viewsKilkennyjack

No subject on 19:26 - Jan 28 by perchrockjack

At 16 you think you know it all.

At 30 you know you know fook all

Kids again being used mercilessly

I am all for it.

These young bright people are the future, and have a stake in political decisions made now that have long term implications.

Much better to take the vote off anyone over 70 as well.
These old people are the past, and have little stake in the long term implications of political decisions made now.

I mean look at the Brexit nonsence....,

Beware of the Risen People

No subject on 19:37 - Jan 28 with 4475 viewsexiledclaseboy

No subject on 19:34 - Jan 28 by Lohengrin

You asked how many voter were capable of excogitating informed opinion. It's hardly a leap.

I never mentioned capability. There are numerous reasons why voters may be uninformed, not least the quality of the ruling classes themselves.

And besides, academic achievement is no guarantee of anything.

No subject on 19:37 - Jan 28 with 4473 viewsperchrockjack

Does nobody see the wooing of kids at Glastonbury by Jez as rather sinister ?

Fook me ...kids at an open air gig .

In my day, any politician at such an event would be bottled off stage

No subject on 19:40 - Jan 28 with 4468 viewsexiledclaseboy

No subject on 19:37 - Jan 28 by perchrockjack

How many kids are at Glastonbury these days? It’s mostly a haven for middle aged hipsters trying to recall their lost youth.

No subject on 19:41 - Jan 28 with 4464 viewsDJack

No subject on 19:37 - Jan 28 by perchrockjack

"Hug a hoodie"... I'll leave that there for you to digest.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

No subject on 19:43 - Jan 28 with 4455 viewsjack247

16 and 17 year olds are far easier to manipulate with Corbyns buy now pay later bullshit.

They’d give double votes to everyone on benefits if they could.
No subject on 19:43 - Jan 28 with 4450 viewsperchrockjack

Funnily enough ,there was a good Glastonbury greatest programme on this Friday and most were well under 25 .

So you recwrong.

Again

No subject on 19:45 - Jan 28 with 4445 viewsLohengrin

No subject on 19:37 - Jan 28 by exiledclaseboy

I never mentioned capability. There are numerous reasons why voters may be uninformed, not least the quality of the ruling classes themselves.

And besides, academic achievement is no guarantee of anything.

Wouldn't capability be the one essential in the performance of any task?

No subject on 19:46 - Jan 28 with 4441 viewsunion_jack

This age group is far more romantic in their beliefs. The SNP wanted to lower the voting age for Indyref1. I think if they had then they'd have won the referendum. I'm sure many of those would have regretted it in later years.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

No subject on 19:48 - Jan 28 with 4428 viewsexiledclaseboy

No subject on 19:46 - Jan 28 by union_jack

This age group is far more romantic in their beliefs. The SNP wanted to lower the voting age for Indyref1. I think if they had then they'd have won the referendum. I'm sure many of those would have regretted it in later years.

They did lower the voting age for the referendum. 16/17 were allowed to vote. Scotland still says no to independence.

No subject on 19:52 - Jan 28 with 4402 viewslondonlisa2001

No subject on 19:45 - Jan 28 by Lohengrin

Age isn't any sort of indicator to such.
No subject on 19:52 - Jan 28 with 4411 viewsexiledclaseboy

No subject on 19:45 - Jan 28 by Lohengrin

And the universal franchise is the cornerstone of any alleged democracy. Even one as skewed as our own. Once you start restricting it or imposing conditions for arbitrary reasons you’re on a slippery slope.

No subject on 19:54 - Jan 28 with 4395 viewslondonlisa2001

No subject on 19:52 - Jan 28 by exiledclaseboy

And the universal franchise is the cornerstone of any alleged democracy. Even one as skewed as our own. Once you start restricting it or imposing conditions for arbitrary reasons you’re on a slippery slope.

Oh I don't know.

We should have stopped anyone over the age of 65 voting in the EU referendum.
No subject on 19:54 - Jan 28 with 4402 viewsexiledclaseboy

No subject on 19:43 - Jan 28 by perchrockjack

Funnily enough ,there was a good Glastonbury greatest programme on this Friday and most were well under 25 .

So you recwrong.

Again

Nope. You are. Yet again.

“This statistic displays the average age at selected music festivals in the United Kingdom as of May 2013. Average age at the Glastonbury festival was 38.8 years. For the festivals considered here, the lowest average age was 35.8 years.”

https://www.statista.com/statistics/282831/average-age-at-selected-music-festiva

No subject on 19:55 - Jan 28 with 4396 viewsexiledclaseboy

No subject on 19:54 - Jan 28 by londonlisa2001

Oh I don't know.

We should have stopped anyone over the age of 65 voting in the EU referendum.

I can see the argument for that but I disagree for the reasons I’ve already stated.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2018 19:56]

No subject on 19:56 - Jan 28 with 4394 viewsJackfath

Most U16s will vote UKIP.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024