Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BMW 118d in Snow :( 15:42 - Feb 12 with 5359 viewswestwalesed

Now I know all the stereotypes about BMW drivers, but I promise I'm not one of them! At the age of 35 and years working in the charitable sector I finally managed to get a "grown up car" a few months ago. I easily drive 200 miles a day for work, so I wanted something comfortable to zip around in after years of clapped out Clios, Nissans and Daewoos.

Anyway - rear wheel drive, punchy engine, in the snow! Absolute fecking shambles! Even a hint of snow on the road and I'm sliding about all over the shop. And that's driving super carefully too!

Anyone got any advice for me????
I'm going to buy all weather tyres as soon as mine run out!

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 15:49 - Feb 12 with 3145 viewsMo_Wives

Wouldn't be without mine. Although, apparently it's 'embarrassing' in the summer when it scrapes and grinds up to the school gate to drop the kids off. I use to have to walk 18miles there and back, ffs. Don't know they're born.

Good luck, Mr Cooper

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 15:51 - Feb 12 with 3136 viewswestwalesed

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 15:49 - Feb 12 by Mo_Wives

Wouldn't be without mine. Although, apparently it's 'embarrassing' in the summer when it scrapes and grinds up to the school gate to drop the kids off. I use to have to walk 18miles there and back, ffs. Don't know they're born.

Would look rather absurd in 1 inch of snow too.

Rather like I did at lunchtime in the BMW!!!!

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 15:54 - Feb 12 with 3122 viewsMo_Wives

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 15:51 - Feb 12 by westwalesed

Apparently, I look like a 'knob 'ed' dressed like that. Or a 'gay storm trooper'.

Good luck, Mr Cooper

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 16:06 - Feb 12 with 3097 viewsNeath_Jack

Part ex it for an Audi or a Merc.

BMW's are without doubt, far inferior to their competitors in my experience. I'd never buy another one anyway.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 16:13 - Feb 12 with 3082 viewswaynekerr55

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 15:51 - Feb 12 by westwalesed

Rear wheel drive is your problem!

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 16:14 - Feb 12 with 3077 viewswaynekerr55

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 16:06 - Feb 12 by Neath_Jack

BMW's are without doubt, far inferior to their competitors in my experience. I'd never buy another one anyway.

Thinly veiled "I'm considerably richer than yaaaaoowww" post if ever I've seen one 😉😂

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 16:15 - Feb 12 with 3076 viewsPegojack

Aye, part ex it. Either that, or put a bag of cement in the boot.

Wife used to have one, couldn't get up the gentle slope at the bottom of our street when it snowed, feckin' shambles.
BMW 118d in Snow :( on 16:19 - Feb 12 with 3060 viewsN_T_J

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 16:06 - Feb 12 by Neath_Jack

I just bought a 4 series coupe, for me the drive and looks of the 4 series was much better than the Audis and the Mercs. However the Merc and Audi interiors were miles ahead!!

OP its a rear wheel drive its going to be shīt in the snow.

We rolled a 1 series at 60mph and the Police said the car is what saved us. (Being well built)
Login to get fewer ads

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 16:22 - Feb 12 with 3044 viewswestwalesed

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 16:15 - Feb 12 by Pegojack

Aye, part ex it. Either that, or put a bag of cement in the boot.

Wife used to have one, couldn't get up the gentle slope at the bottom of our street when it snowed, feckin' shambles.

Yup my problem exactly - the slightest gradient and I'm fecked.

However, its something of a freak season for snow at the moment as it's so unpredictable.

To the suggestion to part ex it, I've only just bought the fecking thing! And it's good fun to drive in normal weather conditions.

Good to hear about rolling it at 60mph and being well built, its really really solid.

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 16:25 - Feb 12 with 3028 viewsN_T_J

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 16:22 - Feb 12 by westwalesed

Yup my problem exactly - the slightest gradient and I'm fecked.

However, its something of a freak season for snow at the moment as it's so unpredictable.

To the suggestion to part ex it, I've only just bought the fecking thing! And it's good fun to drive in normal weather conditions.

Good to hear about rolling it at 60mph and being well built, its really really solid.

My mrs loved that 1 series mind it was fun to drive as it was the 120d with the m pack.
BMW 118d in Snow :( on 16:36 - Feb 12 with 3000 viewsmonmouth

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 16:19 - Feb 12 by N_T_J

I just bought a 4 series coupe, for me the drive and looks of the 4 series was much better than the Audis and the Mercs. However the Merc and Audi interiors were miles ahead!!

We rolled a 1 series at 60mph and the Police said the car is what saved us. (Being well built)

Reverse everywhere.

Didn't mean to quote you sorry.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2018 16:36]

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 16:38 - Feb 12 with 2987 viewsNeath_Jack

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 16:14 - Feb 12 by waynekerr55

Thinly veiled "I'm considerably richer than yaaaaoowww" post if ever I've seen one 😉😂

The BM's are the same/similar/more expensive than the other two mun.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 16:41 - Feb 12 with 2975 viewsN_T_J

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 16:38 - Feb 12 by Neath_Jack

The BM's are the same/similar/more expensive than the other two mun.

You can get used bms/mercs/audis say 3/4 years old for same kind of money as a new ford fiesta.
BMW 118d in Snow :( on 16:44 - Feb 12 with 2968 viewsNeath_Jack

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 16:19 - Feb 12 by N_T_J

Did you compare it to a C250 Coupe?

I took the 4 series coupe out last year, and couldn't get on with it at all, and as you say, the interiors are different gravy on them.

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 16:44 - Feb 12 with 2966 viewsmonmouth

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 16:36 - Feb 12 by monmouth

Reverse everywhere.

Didn't mean to quote you sorry.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2018 16:36]

Seriously to the op, I have a beemer too and even the slightest ice on the small hill out of the house and I am going nowhere unless I can somehow reverse up onto the gritted roads, so it's a better idea to stay put at home.

(or use my wife's Kia that munches up the snow and ice, no problem).

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 16:46 - Feb 12 with 2960 viewsNeath_Jack

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 16:41 - Feb 12 by N_T_J

You can get used bms/mercs/audis say 3/4 years old for same kind of money as a new ford fiesta.

Absolutely mate, I'm stunned at how much people are paying for new basic Fords these days. F*ck all is cheap these days, including diesel, won't be long and it'll £1.50 a litre!

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 16:48 - Feb 12 with 2955 viewsN_T_J

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 16:44 - Feb 12 by Neath_Jack

Did you compare it to a C250 Coupe?

I took the 4 series coupe out last year, and couldn't get on with it at all, and as you say, the interiors are different gravy on them.

Yea mate tried c250 and E250 also tried A5 and thought the 4 series was a nicer ride.

What difd you opt for?
BMW 118d in Snow :( on 16:48 - Feb 12 with 2948 viewsmonmouth

This bloke always gives me a laugh.

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 16:51 - Feb 12 with 2937 viewsN_T_J

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 16:46 - Feb 12 by Neath_Jack

Absolutely mate, I'm stunned at how much people are paying for new basic Fords these days. F*ck all is cheap these days, including diesel, won't be long and it'll £1.50 a litre!

Plus they are shíthot on fuel i got a 2.0d 190bhp and we took it to London ploding along at 60/70mph and it returned 65mpg and normal around town it returns 50mpg.
BMW 118d in Snow :( on 16:56 - Feb 12 with 2921 viewsnantywatcher

Bought and sold over 25,000 cars over the years BMW's are most definitely nothing special. You should have bought a front wheel drive, but the heavy weights in the boot are your best option, and then buy a decent car next year.
BMW 118d in Snow :( on 17:04 - Feb 12 with 2899 viewswestwalesed

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 16:44 - Feb 12 by monmouth

Seriously to the op, I have a beemer too and even the slightest ice on the small hill out of the house and I am going nowhere unless I can somehow reverse up onto the gritted roads, so it's a better idea to stay put at home.

(or use my wife's Kia that munches up the snow and ice, no problem).

W really fecked me off today was that it was a crisp, clear Pembrokeshire day, then five minutes of heavy snow and hail out of nowhere, about an inch settled and I was utterly fecked!

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 17:11 - Feb 12 with 2884 viewstrampie

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 17:04 - Feb 12 by westwalesed

W really fecked me off today was that it was a crisp, clear Pembrokeshire day, then five minutes of heavy snow and hail out of nowhere, about an inch settled and I was utterly fecked!

I don't remember what my wife's beemer sports car was like in the snow and she had it 6 or 7 years, perhaps it never snowed when she had it, or I never drove it in the snow , she drives a Kia now.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 17:20 - Feb 12 with 2859 viewssP7qupUf

I've got one and it's not great in the snow. Took it to West Brom in our first season in the PL when we won 2-1 in the snow. Was covered when we got back to it. Accidentally opened the 4 windows and covered the seats in snow!!! Horrendous drive on a snowy dark night down to Ross when it turned to rain.

On another occasion, parked in the tennis centre on the grass on a wet day. Back wheels spinning and chucking mud everywhere. Big fun that was.

Despite that, I like the car. Comfortable ride and plenty of guts when needed.
BMW 118d in Snow :( on 17:21 - Feb 12 with 2857 viewsN_T_J

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 17:20 - Feb 12 by sP7qupUf

I've got one and it's not great in the snow. Took it to West Brom in our first season in the PL when we won 2-1 in the snow. Was covered when we got back to it. Accidentally opened the 4 windows and covered the seats in snow!!! Horrendous drive on a snowy dark night down to Ross when it turned to rain.

On another occasion, parked in the tennis centre on the grass on a wet day. Back wheels spinning and chucking mud everywhere. Big fun that was.

Despite that, I like the car. Comfortable ride and plenty of guts when needed.

Tuesday night game?
BMW 118d in Snow :( on 17:21 - Feb 12 with 2856 viewsDarran

German crap get a Bentley.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024