Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BMW 118d in Snow :( 15:42 - Feb 12 with 5400 viewswestwalesed

Now I know all the stereotypes about BMW drivers, but I promise I'm not one of them! At the age of 35 and years working in the charitable sector I finally managed to get a "grown up car" a few months ago. I easily drive 200 miles a day for work, so I wanted something comfortable to zip around in after years of clapped out Clios, Nissans and Daewoos.

Anyway - rear wheel drive, punchy engine, in the snow! Absolute fecking shambles! Even a hint of snow on the road and I'm sliding about all over the shop. And that's driving super carefully too!

Anyone got any advice for me????
I'm going to buy all weather tyres as soon as mine run out!

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 21:17 - Feb 12 with 1077 viewsPentyrchJack

Rear wheel drive with wide tyres = crap in snow. Would be even worse if auto.

Poll: Fox Hunting - what do you think?

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 21:18 - Feb 12 with 1075 viewsBanosswan

Dip the clutch

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 07:06 - Feb 13 with 1028 viewsBDavies67

First have you turned on the Dynamic Stability Control ?
If you have then I'd say the single most important thing would be to get a set of dedicated winter tyres and put them on the car during winter then swap them out once weather turns warm. In addition to helping prevent fishtailing when accelerating by offering more traction, they'll also help you stop much better than all weather tyres.
Put weight in the boot. I use bags of sand, two on each side, and have it evenly distributed over the wheels (provides traction).
Feather the brakes and gas lightly and use small, gentle movements with the steering wheel.
BMW 118d in Snow :( on 08:15 - Feb 13 with 1010 viewsnantywatcher

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 07:06 - Feb 13 by BDavies67

First have you turned on the Dynamic Stability Control ?
If you have then I'd say the single most important thing would be to get a set of dedicated winter tyres and put them on the car during winter then swap them out once weather turns warm. In addition to helping prevent fishtailing when accelerating by offering more traction, they'll also help you stop much better than all weather tyres.
Put weight in the boot. I use bags of sand, two on each side, and have it evenly distributed over the wheels (provides traction).
Feather the brakes and gas lightly and use small, gentle movements with the steering wheel.

Spend thousands of pounds on a car and then fill it with bags of sand so it can be driven safely. Only a BMW driver could make sense of that!! Most important of all - make sure your badges are nice and shiny.
BMW 118d in Snow :( on 08:30 - Feb 13 with 996 viewsN_T_J

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 08:15 - Feb 13 by nantywatcher

Spend thousands of pounds on a car and then fill it with bags of sand so it can be driven safely. Only a BMW driver could make sense of that!! Most important of all - make sure your badges are nice and shiny.

Lemons
BMW 118d in Snow :( on 10:30 - Feb 13 with 958 viewsAl_Bundy

Small price to pay I think if you can tolerate a few days of snow a year.

A 6 pot BMW engine is as good as it gets on the open road.
BMW 118d in Snow :( on 14:04 - Feb 13 with 919 viewsnantywatcher

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 10:30 - Feb 13 by Al_Bundy

Small price to pay I think if you can tolerate a few days of snow a year.

A 6 pot BMW engine is as good as it gets on the open road.

No it's not.
BMW 118d in Snow :( on 17:01 - Feb 13 with 886 viewslondonlisa2001

BMW 118d in Snow :( on 14:04 - Feb 13 by nantywatcher

No it's not.

Out of interest, which cars do you prefer?

I think BMWs drive really well.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024