Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pointless Traffic Lights 08:56 - Feb 14 with 6281 viewssquarebear

The ones in Sketty, where Gower Road meets De la Beche Road.

What the absolute feck good do they do?

They haven’t solved the problem of congestion on Gower Road but - ooh, shocker - they’ve certainly introduced congestion on De la Beche. Presumably this is one of those ill thought out schemes where the LibDems (Presumably its them. They seem to be big fans of traffic lights) decide “If we stick a few sets around the gaffe then drivers will find another route and traffic congestion will magically disappear. Which isn’t going to work if you frigging well LIVE there.

And nice touch only putting a filter light on one set out of four. Very helpful.

The daft pricks.

As you were.

Pointless Traffic Lights on 09:45 - Feb 14 with 4966 viewsswanforthemoney

It was very dangerous turning right out of De La Beche onto the Gower Road. On the old mini roundabout, cars on the Gower Road towards Gower just didnt obey the priorities, they often approached and came across the roundabout at speed, even if you were already on the roundabout. Ive seen, and had, many a near miss.
The right answer would have been to remodel the mini roundabout IMHO.
My bug bear was the lights they put in, to cater for the bendy bus, on St Helens Road / Kingsway junction near the Potters Wheel. They held everything up. They have removed the lights and reverted to a roundabout recently and everything just flows sweetly at the times I use it. I hope that roundabout isnt just temporary.

Lack of a filter light is a problem on loads of the lights that are springing up all over town.

I stand in the North Stand

Pointless Traffic Lights on 10:22 - Feb 14 with 4942 viewsNogginthenog

It seems to me that road planners are in the business of choking flow and deliberately making it harder for motorists. The debacle of their idiotic changes to junction 45 near Ynysforgan is a classic case. Cost thousands to change it and within months they reverted it. Those responsible need sacking.
Pointless Traffic Lights on 16:33 - Feb 14 with 4822 viewsJack59

Pointless Traffic Lights on 10:22 - Feb 14 by Nogginthenog

It seems to me that road planners are in the business of choking flow and deliberately making it harder for motorists. The debacle of their idiotic changes to junction 45 near Ynysforgan is a classic case. Cost thousands to change it and within months they reverted it. Those responsible need sacking.

Yes, it has been a deliberate policy to encourage more people to use public transport.
The idea being that you can no longer get there quicker by car.
Pointless Traffic Lights on 16:36 - Feb 14 with 4819 viewsNogginthenog

Pointless Traffic Lights on 16:33 - Feb 14 by Jack59

Yes, it has been a deliberate policy to encourage more people to use public transport.
The idea being that you can no longer get there quicker by car.

I am fortunate to have a bus pass but without one I would find it far too expensive.

Ridiculously expensive in Swansea compared to other large cities.
Pointless Traffic Lights on 16:49 - Feb 14 with 4807 viewsJackfath

The lights in Gorseinon by the Toby Carvery and The Bug. Pointless. A roundabout is needed there.
The lights surrounding the Liberty after a match. Pointless. Get the traffic company to put a temporary two lane traffic system out from the main car park along past KFC and the Tennis centre onto the roundabout there. No entry into the area for the times when this is in place. Traffic would get out of there so much quicker.
Any set where they don't use a left turn filter when it's viable. There are sets dotted around where this is the case.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Pointless Traffic Lights on 16:54 - Feb 14 with 4805 viewsJack59

Pointless Traffic Lights on 09:45 - Feb 14 by swanforthemoney

It was very dangerous turning right out of De La Beche onto the Gower Road. On the old mini roundabout, cars on the Gower Road towards Gower just didnt obey the priorities, they often approached and came across the roundabout at speed, even if you were already on the roundabout. Ive seen, and had, many a near miss.
My bug bear was the lights they put in, to cater for the bendy bus, on St Helens Road / Kingsway junction near the Potters Wheel. They held everything up. They have removed the lights and reverted to a roundabout recently and everything just flows sweetly at the times I use it. I hope that roundabout isnt just temporary.

Lack of a filter light is a problem on loads of the lights that are springing up all over town.

I've been making that turning from De la Beche Road every day for the last 8 years, I've never had a problem or seen any accident or near miss either.
It's a mini roundabout like anywhere else, if individual drivers are nervous about negotiating it they can take a small diversion to Vivian Road and use the lights there.

The new lights have only succeeded in causing more jams every afternoon, but I suspect that is what they are designed to do.

Thirty years ago people would never have put up with the stupidity that's going on now,
You never see people complaining about anything any more, in restaurants or shops or more appropriately to the local council. This is a valid reason why standards will deteriorate everywhere.
Pointless Traffic Lights on 16:57 - Feb 14 with 4798 viewsJackfath

Pointless Traffic Lights on 16:54 - Feb 14 by Jack59

I've been making that turning from De la Beche Road every day for the last 8 years, I've never had a problem or seen any accident or near miss either.
It's a mini roundabout like anywhere else, if individual drivers are nervous about negotiating it they can take a small diversion to Vivian Road and use the lights there.

The new lights have only succeeded in causing more jams every afternoon, but I suspect that is what they are designed to do.

Thirty years ago people would never have put up with the stupidity that's going on now,
You never see people complaining about anything any more, in restaurants or shops or more appropriately to the local council. This is a valid reason why standards will deteriorate everywhere.

One of the best vehicles to complain these days is via social media, such as Twitter. Companies and agencies can't afford for complaints to go viral so they act quickly on them. However you're not always dealing with a real person.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

Pointless Traffic Lights on 16:58 - Feb 14 with 4793 viewsPrivate_Partz

Pointless Traffic Lights on 09:45 - Feb 14 by swanforthemoney

I have posted on here many times about the dangers of mini roundabouts.
They are fine provided everyone knows the Highway Code. If ever there was a need for a public information film then mini roundabouts should be top priority.
Many wait until all exits are clear before entering. The worst are those that think the main road has priority and drive over the roundabout at speed. The amount if times I have had some twonk tooting away like a maniac even though I was on the roundabout long before him. The danger is these asses will survive in an accident as they will be hitting the innocent Party side on.
Having said that there was a nasty smash outside the Vivs on Sketty Cross lights last night.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2018 17:10]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Login to get fewer ads

Pointless Traffic Lights on 17:05 - Feb 14 with 4783 viewslifelong

Pointless Traffic Lights on 16:49 - Feb 14 by Jackfath

The lights in Gorseinon by the Toby Carvery and The Bug. Pointless. A roundabout is needed there.
The lights surrounding the Liberty after a match. Pointless. Get the traffic company to put a temporary two lane traffic system out from the main car park along past KFC and the Tennis centre onto the roundabout there. No entry into the area for the times when this is in place. Traffic would get out of there so much quicker.
Any set where they don't use a left turn filter when it's viable. There are sets dotted around where this is the case.

I agree with the roundabout suggestion, there are a lot of crossroads regulated by traffic lights where a roundabout would be more suitable. The only problem is where pedestrians need to walk across the crossroads there needs to be regulation.
Gorseinon is a nightmare to get through since they introduced the four way traffic light system.
Pointless Traffic Lights on 17:08 - Feb 14 with 4776 viewsJackfath

Pointless Traffic Lights on 17:05 - Feb 14 by lifelong

I agree with the roundabout suggestion, there are a lot of crossroads regulated by traffic lights where a roundabout would be more suitable. The only problem is where pedestrians need to walk across the crossroads there needs to be regulation.
Gorseinon is a nightmare to get through since they introduced the four way traffic light system.

They could put some pedestrian crossings in for the walkers. Gorseinon is a tricky one with the 4 way lights, not sure there's an easy suggestion, other than making one of the roads one way.

Pointless Traffic Lights on 17:18 - Feb 14 with 4762 viewsJack59

Pointless Traffic Lights on 16:57 - Feb 14 by Jackfath

One of the best vehicles to complain these days is via social media, such as Twitter. Companies and agencies can't afford for complaints to go viral so they act quickly on them. However you're not always dealing with a real person.

Unfortunately, with regard to traffic problems in Swansea, you would need time for things to gather pace on Twitter.
Years ago, the Guildhall switchboard would have been choked up within hours of the first inference of any of the idiotic schemes they get away with now.
The biggest problem is the Automated phone systems that are in place everywhere, they need to be banned.
Pointless Traffic Lights on 17:28 - Feb 14 with 4754 viewsPrivate_Partz

Pointless Traffic Lights on 17:18 - Feb 14 by Jack59

Unfortunately, with regard to traffic problems in Swansea, you would need time for things to gather pace on Twitter.
Years ago, the Guildhall switchboard would have been choked up within hours of the first inference of any of the idiotic schemes they get away with now.
The biggest problem is the Automated phone systems that are in place everywhere, they need to be banned.

That is another problem with staff reduction Jack. You always used to speak to a person when phoning up a Local Authority. There just isn't the staff to man the switchboards and answer the calls any more.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Pointless Traffic Lights on 17:37 - Feb 14 with 4736 viewsAnotherJohn

I agree with the first poster, It wasn't unusual for some cars to zip across that roundabout at speed. This didn't worry me much, but the wife has commented a few times on how much she prefers the new layout.
Pointless Traffic Lights on 17:57 - Feb 14 with 4715 viewsJack59

Pointless Traffic Lights on 17:37 - Feb 14 by AnotherJohn

I agree with the first poster, It wasn't unusual for some cars to zip across that roundabout at speed. This didn't worry me much, but the wife has commented a few times on how much she prefers the new layout.

Some afternoons I've seen the traffic backed up to the old gates of Bishop Gore School, to where the road narrows with parking on one side. Traffic is then unable to move in either direction.
Sometimes as few as three or four cars get through on a green light, when there are another thirty or so vehicles motionless behind them.
As I said before, there were alternatives for those drivers nervous about mini-roundabouts.
Pointless Traffic Lights on 19:50 - Feb 14 with 4658 viewsswanforthemoney

You were lucky.
I only went that way once a week, and two or three times I've been well onto the mini roundabout as was, and had someone coming up Gower road at speed and, not realising they had to give way to someone on the roundabout they had to slam on the anchors. Naturally being in the wrong they sounded their horns and gesticulated. I've seen other altercations and incidents whilst walking over the footbridge.

Pointless Traffic Lights on 20:23 - Feb 14 with 4629 viewsJack59

Pointless Traffic Lights on 19:50 - Feb 14 by swanforthemoney

You were lucky.
I only went that way once a week, and two or three times I've been well onto the mini roundabout as was, and had someone coming up Gower road at speed and, not realising they had to give way to someone on the roundabout they had to slam on the anchors. Naturally being in the wrong they sounded their horns and gesticulated. I've seen other altercations and incidents whilst walking over the footbridge.

I can see how it suits you not to have to use the footbridge anymore, you are probably one of twenty or thirty ratepayers that will benefit from the pedestrian crossing.
But for thousands of other motorists stuck on red lights unnecessarily, it raises one's temperature rather than calming you down.
I live nearby and travel through that junction from all directions about eight times a day, and I'm yet to see any sign of a collision or aftermath of one i.e. debris on road etc.

I'd love to see the statistics and compare it with other junctions, as it happens I've seen evidence of collisions at Sketty Cross lights on a number of occasions.
Pointless Traffic Lights on 20:43 - Feb 14 with 4603 viewsswanforthemoney

Pointless Traffic Lights on 20:23 - Feb 14 by Jack59

I can see how it suits you not to have to use the footbridge anymore, you are probably one of twenty or thirty ratepayers that will benefit from the pedestrian crossing.
But for thousands of other motorists stuck on red lights unnecessarily, it raises one's temperature rather than calming you down.
I live nearby and travel through that junction from all directions about eight times a day, and I'm yet to see any sign of a collision or aftermath of one i.e. debris on road etc.

I'd love to see the statistics and compare it with other junctions, as it happens I've seen evidence of collisions at Sketty Cross lights on a number of occasions.

Read my original post, I said i thought lights are not the answer. It would have been relatively easy to remodel the mini roundabout to improve it.

I'll continue to use the bridge thanks when on foot.

I am aware of the accidents that occur at Sketty lights. Different issue. For the record there's also loads of broken plastic accident residue at the mini roundabout near Gower college.

Perhaps it just proves that we drivers in the Uplands Sketty area are just sh1t.

This is why they did it evidently
https://www.swansea.gov.uk/article/31873/Swansea-School-backs-Sketty-Safe-Routes

Pointless Traffic Lights on 21:36 - Feb 14 with 4570 viewsSkettyJack

Living in the area these lights are an absolute joke. No need to spend however many tens of thousands changing the layout. All it's done is cause traffic issues.
Traffic is now backed up the entire length of De La Beche Road for at least 4 hours a day plus Vivian and dillwyn road lights as well. It's mental around sketty cross at school times.

Swansea council must outsource their road maintenance team and town planning to the local college, but to be honest that is being disrespectful to the college. They really are a shambles. Have they announced the council tax rise yet?
Pointless Traffic Lights on 21:58 - Feb 14 with 4543 viewsunion_jack

You were lucky.

"Naturally being in the wrong they sounded their horn and gesticulated"

I pride myself on my my contrition. If I do something wrong, I'm quick to acknowledge it and apologise. It seems I'm the only person who dies because most people are like the one you described.

Similarly, if (and it's rare) someone apologises I'm quick to accept it. We all make mistakes. But often when I apologise you still get the Neanderthal giving it large

'So poorly brought up some people

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Pointless Traffic Lights on 22:34 - Feb 14 with 4492 viewsPrivate_Partz

You were lucky.

If you are in Mumbles have a shandy and sit on the seat in front of the pub that has a view of the mini roundabout.
It us very enlightening. I reckon up to 25% of motorists do not have clue how to negotiate a mini roundabout. You are almost guaranteed to see someone hit the fencing outside the toilets as well.
It's madness out there ;-)

Pointless Traffic Lights on 22:38 - Feb 14 with 4488 viewsBobby_Fischer

Pointless Traffic Lights on 20:23 - Feb 14 by Jack59

There are alternatives for those drivers that get wound up by traffic lights.

Poll: Who should take over from Jenkins?

Pointless Traffic Lights on 00:21 - Feb 15 with 4416 viewsJack59

Pointless Traffic Lights on 22:38 - Feb 14 by Bobby_Fischer

There are alternatives for those drivers that get wound up by traffic lights.

Particularly traffic lights that sometimes only allow enough time for four cars to get through when there's a tail back of over thirty vehicles waiting.
Traffic lights in the right place with correct sequencing are not a problem.

Many of the junctions with lights in Swansea would see similar situations in the Midlands or around London with roundabouts or mini roundabouts.

The council have little or no consideration for the time of the average driver in Swansea.
Smoother flow of traffic would benefit many of the SME's and business in general.
Particularly during the next ten years while Cardiff's traffic system is projected for total chaos, because of that city's unrivalled expansion.
We'll be shooting ourselves in the foot instead of taking advantage of this opportunity.
Pointless Traffic Lights on 06:20 - Feb 15 with 4360 viewsjackal

On a slightly different note, I drove through them yesterday and noticed that the pedestrian lights have a countdown light showing how many seconds you have to cross.

Never seen that before.
Pointless Traffic Lights on 07:20 - Feb 15 with 4329 viewscurleigh

Pointless Traffic Lights on 21:36 - Feb 14 by SkettyJack

Living in the area these lights are an absolute joke. No need to spend however many tens of thousands changing the layout. All it's done is cause traffic issues.
Traffic is now backed up the entire length of De La Beche Road for at least 4 hours a day plus Vivian and dillwyn road lights as well. It's mental around sketty cross at school times.

Swansea council must outsource their road maintenance team and town planning to the local college, but to be honest that is being disrespectful to the college. They really are a shambles. Have they announced the council tax rise yet?

And the powers to be complain about carbon footprint, when you have cars on standstill for ages at these traffic lights and traffic calming measures where you have to slow down, change gear, our council don't have a clue!!!
Pointless Traffic Lights on 07:51 - Feb 15 with 4306 viewssquarebear

I seem to remember reading that the speed bumps along Sketty Park Drive were installed not only as a means of controlling speed but to actively deter drivers from taking that route.

It’s worked as far as I’m concerned. Ditto the speed bumps on Glanmor Park Road though it’s still quicker during rush hour than sitting in traffic on Parc Wern Road.

The Sketty lights - I do recall seeing drivers coming from the Swansea direction just bull-rushing the roundabout, which I agree was dangerous. But a redesign of the roundabout and improved signage would have been a wiser, better option. Whether it was practical, I dunno. The LibDems have form for chucking traffic lights up.

Talking of which, the pelican crossing on Sketty Park Road - why on earth wasn’t that made a zebra crossing? The time lag between pressing the button and the lights changing is comically long, meaning you’re likely to be across the road and out of sight by the time the cars stop at a deserted crossing.

These planners really need my help :)

Admittedly I recognise that the issues planners face are more complex than I am making them out to be. Perhaps there are forums I’m unaware of where the public can feed back and the council can explain their rationale.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2018 7:55]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024