Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote 16:48 - Feb 21 with 4932 viewsShaky

Mark Carney: People are earning 3.5% less than we estimated before the EU referendum

Business Insider, 21st February, 2018

LONDON – Bank of England Governor Mark Carney said on Wednesday that real incomes are set to be 5% below pre-referendum forecasts by the end of this year.

Appearing before the Treasury Select Committee on Wednesday, Carney said that British incomes are currently 3.5% below where the central bank had forecast them to be prior to the June 2016 vote to leave the European Union.

Economists' forecasts have been ridiculed for their inaccuracy in many pro-Brexit circles but Carney said the figures were "to be expected" given the effects of the Brexit vote on the economy.

"We're in a transition period or a pre-transition period is perhaps a better way to put it," Carney told the Treasury Select Committee.

The pound sank to multi-year lows against both the euro and dollar in the wake of the vote, which has led to high inflation. Inflation rose rapidly after the vote and currently sits at 3%, well above the Bank of England's target of 2%.

Meanwhile, investment and wage growth have failed to keep pace. Wage data also out on Wednesday shows pay packets increased by 2.5% in January – meaning people are effectively seeing real wage declines of 0.5%.

The cumulative effect is British people have less money in their pockets than the Bank had expected them to have at this point in time.

Carney said the 5% lag at the end of the year is expected to be the peak in divergence from the Bank's pre-referendum forecasts. Inflation is predicted to ease and wage growth is expected to overtake inflation later this year.

Andy Haldane, the Bank of England's chief economist, told the Treasury Select Committee: "It is very likely average weekly earnings growth will nudge up to have a 3 in front of it [from next month]."

http://uk.businessinsider.com/mark-carney-brexit-wage-forecast-2018-2

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 17:49 - Feb 21 with 3422 viewsWingstandwood

http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/construction-workers-target-energy-projects-in

I have personally seen indigenous U.K employees wages and conditions worsen considerably because of the influx of a 'cheap-labour for employers' East European workforce.....I have personally witnessed the anger of many a indigenous U.K tradesperson because of this. Now when 'left-wing' unions are unhappy about immigration you know something is seriously going on!

IMO the Tories love nothing more than driving wages and employment conditions down. They use intelligence insulting lingo like "being flexible, being competitive and cutting red tape" that hides the severity and reality of it all.....

And? It would be no surprise to me if the 'immigration-control' facet/promise of the Brexit ends up a complete and utter farce i.e. it either ends up severely watered down to the extent of being utterly pointless/worthless or never happens at all.

If that is happening/happens? What was the point of a Brexit in the first place?... For many the negative end-result(s) of immigration on peoples pay and working conditions that caused major concern(s) for voters own futures, their children and great grandchildrens futures was the reason for voting out in the first place.

Argus!

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 12:03 - Feb 22 with 3320 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Does pro EU Carney have any actual evidence of this? Thought not just another one of his opinions most which he got wrong in his panic after the EU referendum vote. Even the pound has recovered to it's pre referendum level against the $.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 12:23 - Feb 22 with 3299 viewsKilkennyjack

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 12:03 - Feb 22 by felixstowe_jack

Does pro EU Carney have any actual evidence of this? Thought not just another one of his opinions most which he got wrong in his panic after the EU referendum vote. Even the pound has recovered to it's pre referendum level against the $.

Of course he has the evidence, he is an expert.

He is Governor of the Bank of England, appearing before the Treasury Select Committee.

Only the Bedwetter Brexiteers make stuff up.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2018 12:24]

Beware of the Risen People

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 12:25 - Feb 22 with 3293 viewsKilkennyjack

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 17:49 - Feb 21 by Wingstandwood

http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/construction-workers-target-energy-projects-in

I have personally seen indigenous U.K employees wages and conditions worsen considerably because of the influx of a 'cheap-labour for employers' East European workforce.....I have personally witnessed the anger of many a indigenous U.K tradesperson because of this. Now when 'left-wing' unions are unhappy about immigration you know something is seriously going on!

IMO the Tories love nothing more than driving wages and employment conditions down. They use intelligence insulting lingo like "being flexible, being competitive and cutting red tape" that hides the severity and reality of it all.....

And? It would be no surprise to me if the 'immigration-control' facet/promise of the Brexit ends up a complete and utter farce i.e. it either ends up severely watered down to the extent of being utterly pointless/worthless or never happens at all.

If that is happening/happens? What was the point of a Brexit in the first place?... For many the negative end-result(s) of immigration on peoples pay and working conditions that caused major concern(s) for voters own futures, their children and great grandchildrens futures was the reason for voting out in the first place.

Most of the immigrants i see are looking after people in the under funded NHS.
God bless them all.

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 12:26 - Feb 22 with 3292 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 12:03 - Feb 22 by felixstowe_jack

Ammm. ......He’s in charge of the Bank of England

I’m guessing he does
Just like you are guessing he doesn’t

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 13:00 - Feb 22 with 3267 viewsWingstandwood

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 12:25 - Feb 22 by Kilkennyjack

Most of the immigrants i see are looking after people in the under funded NHS.
God bless them all.

That 'sector' has nowhere near experienced the level(s) of appalling wage-deflation experienced with the private sector (i.e. wages halved in many a case!) because it is the public sector. It is in the (minimal to zero) union protected private sector where the mega-percentage of wage-cuts, zero-hour-contracts, denial of workers rights tend to be.

But there again that type of thing is starting to infiltrate the likes of public sector Swansea City Council where I've been told the refuge/recycling collection dept is following the 'private-sector' example with zero hour contracts.

Argus!

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 13:29 - Feb 22 with 3240 viewslonglostjack

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 13:00 - Feb 22 by Wingstandwood

That 'sector' has nowhere near experienced the level(s) of appalling wage-deflation experienced with the private sector (i.e. wages halved in many a case!) because it is the public sector. It is in the (minimal to zero) union protected private sector where the mega-percentage of wage-cuts, zero-hour-contracts, denial of workers rights tend to be.

But there again that type of thing is starting to infiltrate the likes of public sector Swansea City Council where I've been told the refuge/recycling collection dept is following the 'private-sector' example with zero hour contracts.

Zero hour contracts are not legal in Germany. It's the Brexiteers in the Tory party who would like to go further and free employers from pesky EU directives that protect workers rights.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 13:41 - Feb 22 with 3222 viewsWingstandwood

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 13:29 - Feb 22 by longlostjack

Zero hour contracts are not legal in Germany. It's the Brexiteers in the Tory party who would like to go further and free employers from pesky EU directives that protect workers rights.

Zero hour contracts are absolutely appalling and (agreeing with you) like I mentioned previously above i.e. the Tories indeed absolutely love the idea of zero-workers rights.

The thing is? I and many others have worked (even under EU membership and New Labour) for employers that denied their workforce basic decency i.e. zero holiday pay (even for bank holidays) , zero sick pay, no overtime pay for a 56+ hour week e.g. Saturdays and Sundays for a basic rate. So bad in fact that even stuff like safety-wear (e.g. high-viz vest, safety boots and helmet) had to be paid for out of the employees own pocket.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2018 17:00]

Argus!

Login to get fewer ads

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 14:08 - Feb 22 with 3187 viewslonglostjack

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 13:41 - Feb 22 by Wingstandwood

Zero hour contracts are absolutely appalling and (agreeing with you) like I mentioned previously above i.e. the Tories indeed absolutely love the idea of zero-workers rights.

The thing is? I and many others have worked (even under EU membership and New Labour) for employers that denied their workforce basic decency i.e. zero holiday pay (even for bank holidays) , zero sick pay, no overtime pay for a 56+ hour week e.g. Saturdays and Sundays for a basic rate. So bad in fact that even stuff like safety-wear (e.g. high-viz vest, safety boots and helmet) had to be paid for out of the employees own pocket.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2018 17:00]

Yes. It's down to national governments to apply the EU directives and if there is a dispute it can go to the European Court of Justice. I can well imagine the U.K. Govt would have been working hard to get opt outs written into the directives too, though I didn't think there was an opt out for paid annual leave.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2018 14:09]

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 17:08 - Feb 22 with 3112 viewsBigPhilG

What part of we're leaving don't people get ?

The governor of the Bank of England is suppose to be impartial, this Canadian clearly isn't
Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 17:14 - Feb 22 with 3108 viewsHighjack

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 13:29 - Feb 22 by longlostjack

But on the flip side if labour are ever elected in a post Brexit Britain they could potentially reverse any Tory actions that diminish workers rights and take workers rights to a point currently exceeding EU regulations.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 19:07 - Feb 22 with 3040 viewsPozuelosSideys

To be fair, Germany isnt the best example to compare against (or is the gold plated benchmark depending on your view). German employment contracts are virtually bullet proof, and you have to do something unbelievably idiotic to get sacked. Its why many Germans dont want to leave Germany for employment - the only way is down. They are also stupidly expensive - and from my understanding foreigners are not offered the same provisions (happy to be corrected). (Germans are also very difficult to buy out and put on a non-German employment contract)

The stuff wingstandwood is talking about zero holiday pay and having to pay for everything - i wonder what sort of employment conditions he has? Is he a "proper" employee or some sort of contractor?

Alternatively. A report was released the other day linking the increased productivity and an uptick in wages being linked with a decrease in inward migration from Eastern Europe. The companies were forced to pay higher salaries for local hires. Im shocked. Honest.

As for Carney. People are earning 3.5% less than estimated before the referendum? Is that right Mark? So 3.5% less than 0% is errr.. 0%. Stop papering over the cracks and provide the real reasons as to why wages are still stagnant??

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 19:32 - Feb 22 with 3005 viewsWingstandwood

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 19:07 - Feb 22 by PozuelosSideys

To be fair, Germany isnt the best example to compare against (or is the gold plated benchmark depending on your view). German employment contracts are virtually bullet proof, and you have to do something unbelievably idiotic to get sacked. Its why many Germans dont want to leave Germany for employment - the only way is down. They are also stupidly expensive - and from my understanding foreigners are not offered the same provisions (happy to be corrected). (Germans are also very difficult to buy out and put on a non-German employment contract)

The stuff wingstandwood is talking about zero holiday pay and having to pay for everything - i wonder what sort of employment conditions he has? Is he a "proper" employee or some sort of contractor?

Alternatively. A report was released the other day linking the increased productivity and an uptick in wages being linked with a decrease in inward migration from Eastern Europe. The companies were forced to pay higher salaries for local hires. Im shocked. Honest.

As for Carney. People are earning 3.5% less than estimated before the referendum? Is that right Mark? So 3.5% less than 0% is errr.. 0%. Stop papering over the cracks and provide the real reasons as to why wages are still stagnant??

I have worked as a full time employee where I have received vastly better pay and working conditions. The appalling employment conditions I have experienced have been whilst working as an agency employee.

Many modern day construction sites now consist almost entirely of agency workers, subcontractors and 'self-employed' contractors. The site is run by a manager called the site agent. He's often the only 'in-house' guy belonging to the actual construction firm that won the tender involved.

When I said 'self-employed' I mean 'self-employed' without actually owning or belonging to any actual business...... A case of for example?..... A carpenter who is not his own boss, does not own a business, is not in the yellow pages but merely works on sites like an ordinary employee. The difference being i.e. the carpenter (reluctantly) does all his paperwork when it comes to paying NI contributions and tax. I have even seen positions for self-employed labourers being taken and advertised.

You'll find the vast percentage of construction industry work is now agency based with all the appalling downsides it brings! Here is a Jobcentre Plus section.....All agencies the new-norm! https://jobsearch.direct.gov.uk/JobSearch/PowerSearch.aspx?rad=20&rad_units=mile

Argus!

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 19:41 - Feb 22 with 2988 viewsPozuelosSideys

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 19:32 - Feb 22 by Wingstandwood

I have worked as a full time employee where I have received vastly better pay and working conditions. The appalling employment conditions I have experienced have been whilst working as an agency employee.

Many modern day construction sites now consist almost entirely of agency workers, subcontractors and 'self-employed' contractors. The site is run by a manager called the site agent. He's often the only 'in-house' guy belonging to the actual construction firm that won the tender involved.

When I said 'self-employed' I mean 'self-employed' without actually owning or belonging to any actual business...... A case of for example?..... A carpenter who is not his own boss, does not own a business, is not in the yellow pages but merely works on sites like an ordinary employee. The difference being i.e. the carpenter (reluctantly) does all his paperwork when it comes to paying NI contributions and tax. I have even seen positions for self-employed labourers being taken and advertised.

You'll find the vast percentage of construction industry work is now agency based with all the appalling downsides it brings! Here is a Jobcentre Plus section.....All agencies the new-norm! https://jobsearch.direct.gov.uk/JobSearch/PowerSearch.aspx?rad=20&rad_units=mile

Ahh i figured you may have been agency but didnt want to guess. I feel your pain there. All sorts of agency, contract work etc often dont have the same employee provisions. Kindve liked a sliding scale from a full fat employee, all the way down to zero hours and the poor saps who do stuff like Deliveroo. The fact you have to buy your own equipment to do the job is disgusting imo, especially if the company isnt your own you contract through.

Im sure you already know why construction companies take this route. Basically offsets all the risk as well as the associated costs on to the workforce and off their P&L - meaning shareholders take better divvies and the corporate staff sit on their relatively fluffy packages. It wouldnt suprise me at all if many other industries take this direction sooner rather than later. I know a few guys in your position and many of them do a limited number of hours on the books, then take the rest in cash so as to make the most of the benefits offered under the current system. (13 hours is it?) and avoid hitting PAYE. Given the amount of hard work in construction and the shitty conditions, i dont blame anyone at all for going entirely cash in hand.

On the flip side, its staggering how many jobs are subsidised by the taxpayer through the benefits and tax systems. It appears to me that businesses should either be paying full whack for their employees and paying a decent rate, or their business model is unsustainable if Mr Taxpayer has to subiside their wage bill.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 19:45 - Feb 22 with 2985 viewsAnotherJohn

Not legal in Germany? I thought the position was legal in some circumstances, but heavily regulated. See link at p. 117.

https://dbei.gov.ie/en/Publications/Publication-files/Study-on-the-Prevalence-of

Incidentally I am strongly against zero hours contracts, but the UK is not the only country that uses questionable arrangements of this kind.
Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 19:54 - Feb 22 with 2975 viewsWingstandwood

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 19:41 - Feb 22 by PozuelosSideys

Ahh i figured you may have been agency but didnt want to guess. I feel your pain there. All sorts of agency, contract work etc often dont have the same employee provisions. Kindve liked a sliding scale from a full fat employee, all the way down to zero hours and the poor saps who do stuff like Deliveroo. The fact you have to buy your own equipment to do the job is disgusting imo, especially if the company isnt your own you contract through.

Im sure you already know why construction companies take this route. Basically offsets all the risk as well as the associated costs on to the workforce and off their P&L - meaning shareholders take better divvies and the corporate staff sit on their relatively fluffy packages. It wouldnt suprise me at all if many other industries take this direction sooner rather than later. I know a few guys in your position and many of them do a limited number of hours on the books, then take the rest in cash so as to make the most of the benefits offered under the current system. (13 hours is it?) and avoid hitting PAYE. Given the amount of hard work in construction and the shitty conditions, i dont blame anyone at all for going entirely cash in hand.

On the flip side, its staggering how many jobs are subsidised by the taxpayer through the benefits and tax systems. It appears to me that businesses should either be paying full whack for their employees and paying a decent rate, or their business model is unsustainable if Mr Taxpayer has to subiside their wage bill.

Thanks! You're very perceptive and empathetic. It's not so bad for me, I made hay when the sun shone prior to the decline! It's the youngsters that I really feel sorry for, many are being denied the right to job security, decent pay and conditions. Many are being denied a future!

Argus!

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 23:44 - Feb 22 with 2835 viewslonglostjack

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 19:45 - Feb 22 by AnotherJohn

Not legal in Germany? I thought the position was legal in some circumstances, but heavily regulated. See link at p. 117.

https://dbei.gov.ie/en/Publications/Publication-files/Study-on-the-Prevalence-of

Incidentally I am strongly against zero hours contracts, but the UK is not the only country that uses questionable arrangements of this kind.

What that is referring to is basically freelance contracts which are very strictly defined under German employment law and shouldn't be confused with zero hour contracts where an employee is dependent on one employer.

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 23:52 - Feb 22 with 2831 viewslonglostjack

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 19:54 - Feb 22 by Wingstandwood

Thanks! You're very perceptive and empathetic. It's not so bad for me, I made hay when the sun shone prior to the decline! It's the youngsters that I really feel sorry for, many are being denied the right to job security, decent pay and conditions. Many are being denied a future!

My father was a carpenter and joiner by trade and one of the best bits of advice he gave me was to read the Ragged trousered philanthropists by Robert Tressell. You are bang on the money Wingstandwood but it's not the EU's fault. The problem lies where it always has - with the bloody Tory party.

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 00:22 - Feb 23 with 2818 viewsJack_Meoff

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 23:52 - Feb 22 by longlostjack

My father was a carpenter and joiner by trade and one of the best bits of advice he gave me was to read the Ragged trousered philanthropists by Robert Tressell. You are bang on the money Wingstandwood but it's not the EU's fault. The problem lies where it always has - with the bloody Tory party.

The Tory party contain the worst human beings in the entire world. The only b*stards that top them are the vile usurious scum that they exist only to serve.

[Post edited 23 Feb 2018 0:24]

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 11:48 - Feb 25 with 2627 viewsShaky

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 19:07 - Feb 22 by PozuelosSideys

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uk-workers-have-had-the-worst-wa

Misology -- It's a bitch

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 12:51 - Feb 25 with 2581 viewsPozuelosSideys

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 11:48 - Feb 25 by Shaky

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uk-workers-have-had-the-worst-wa

Amazing what can happen when you get millions of indviduals happy to work as cheap labour flooding a relatively high earning nation.

Plug in 2008 crash and companies' absolute willingness to profit on the back of that - and still do - in order to keep P&L costs down and TSR high and bingo. Wage growth down about 7 or 8% since 2007.

https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/statistics-net-migration-statistics

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 14:19 - Feb 25 with 2556 viewsKilkennyjack

Once EU migrants stop arriving to work for less, then the Tory scum will simply use their (supposed) new global trade deals to access cheap labour migration from other places in the world , like China and India.

They give not a damn for the working man.
Posh people who don’t even know the price of milk.

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 14:24 - Feb 25 with 2547 viewsHighjack

I wonder if mr carney is earning 3.5% less?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 14:29 - Feb 25 with 2543 viewsShaky

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 12:51 - Feb 25 by PozuelosSideys

Amazing what can happen when you get millions of indviduals happy to work as cheap labour flooding a relatively high earning nation.

Plug in 2008 crash and companies' absolute willingness to profit on the back of that - and still do - in order to keep P&L costs down and TSR high and bingo. Wage growth down about 7 or 8% since 2007.

https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/statistics-net-migration-statistics

Germany had higher migration in the same period, and just look at how they performed. And that after suffering a much deeper recession than the UK 2012-13 following the introduction of Russia sanctions along with much of continuental Europe.

One thing, and one thing only, explains the piss poor performance of the UK over that period; misguided Tory austerity policies.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2018 14:34]

Misology -- It's a bitch

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 18:09 - Feb 25 with 2479 viewsWingstandwood

Carney: People earning 3.5% less than estimated before EU vote on 14:19 - Feb 25 by Kilkennyjack

Once EU migrants stop arriving to work for less, then the Tory scum will simply use their (supposed) new global trade deals to access cheap labour migration from other places in the world , like China and India.

They give not a damn for the working man.
Posh people who don’t even know the price of milk.

Uncontrolled EU immigration has had severe implications for both the pay and working conditions of the U.K's indigenous population, it is indeed appalling 'right-wing' practice and politics. Drives wages down, drives working conditions down and has made the U.K the apex-breeding ground for unscrupulous agencies, gang-masters, slave labour, appalling employment standards and poverty etc.

Some are misguided and actually believe its 'left-wing' to open the floodgates, so much so that a bubble enclosed privileged Metropolitan elite e.g. Labour Islington types want no upper-limit. Nice to see that there are some unions and some Labour M.P's that have the commonsense to realise the disgrace of it all.

And when the 'left-wing' Daily Mirror realises it? You know something is up!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/uncontrolled-immigration-europe-continue-

Argus!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024