Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! 09:03 - Feb 26 with 6676 viewsPegojack

Well, my friends, a little announcement for those interested.

After living in Hereford for the past 20 years and working for the council for the past nine years, I'm about to hand in my one month's notice, and retire early at the age of 62.

Last week I went to Spain to view properties and agreed a deal to buy one in a little place called Adsubia near the town of Pego, ten miles inland from Denia in the northern Costa Blanca. I am moving out there permanently, lock, stock and barrel in early April (I hope).

It's absolutely crazy, but I've sold a modest three bedroom semi in a village near Hereford and for less money have bought a fairly luxurious three bedroom villa with 9 x 4 metres swimming pool overlooking the orange groves in this stunning valley only fifteen - twenty minutes drive from great beaches and the beautiful port town of Denia.

What am I going to miss the most? Need you ask? I've been supporting the Swans through thick and thin for fifty three years, ever since my dad first took me to sit in the double decker stand at the Vetch in 1965. It's going to be a huge wrench not going to every home match. But me and my partner have renewed our season tickets for next season. Of course, it's illegal to let my brother who lives in Baglan use the tickets when I'm not in the UK, so I won't be doing that (). I hope to be getting back a few times a season to watch matches.

And you can bet your bottom dollar the Swans will make the FA Cup Final now that I'm going! I'll come back for that one, though, never fear.

So my friends, I leave you with the message enjoy life, you never know how long you've got, and don't argue too much with each other. We're all Jacks together. And I'll still be lurking around this Board in my new incarnation, Pegojack!
Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 09:14 - Feb 26 with 3525 viewsTheResurrection

All the best to you Mike mate, with the Winter we've just had (still having it) a move to warmer climes will be just the ticket.

You'd better hope the people behind these 3pm streams can stay one or two steps ahead of the big blockers. 😉

Good luck 👍

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 09:23 - Feb 26 with 3514 viewsmalagajack

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 09:14 - Feb 26 by TheResurrection

All the best to you Mike mate, with the Winter we've just had (still having it) a move to warmer climes will be just the ticket.

You'd better hope the people behind these 3pm streams can stay one or two steps ahead of the big blockers. 😉

Good luck 👍

Bienvenido Pego, keep a close eye on purchasing costs and your solicitor, if it's a solicitor from an estate agent they may be acting for the seller too. Suerte amigo
Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 09:25 - Feb 26 with 3512 viewsmonmouth

F*ck a duck. That's sudden, and brave. Good luck Mike. Make sure you do keep posting, we might need some advice on how to come and join you, if missus can be convinced that a warm climate by the sea is better than freezing your knackers off by a river.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 09:25 - Feb 26 with 3511 viewsPegojack

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 09:14 - Feb 26 by TheResurrection

Good luck 👍

Thanks Chris, all the best to you, mate.

It'll be a dirty job watching the Swans live in some Costa Blanca bar, sipping Amstel beer at 2 euros a pint and munching on tapas, but somebody's got to do it.
Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 09:27 - Feb 26 with 3507 viewsPegojack

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 09:23 - Feb 26 by malagajack

Bienvenido Pego, keep a close eye on purchasing costs and your solicitor, if it's a solicitor from an estate agent they may be acting for the seller too. Suerte amigo

Cheers, mate. The first thing I did last Monday was engage an independent solicitor in Denia and opened a bank account, even before I knew for definite I was buying a house.
Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 09:27 - Feb 26 with 3507 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Good luck with the move and the new life, as you know I'm lucky enough to be just starting on all this retirement stuff!

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 09:30 - Feb 26 with 3493 viewsPegojack

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 09:25 - Feb 26 by monmouth

F*ck a duck. That's sudden, and brave. Good luck Mike. Make sure you do keep posting, we might need some advice on how to come and join you, if missus can be convinced that a warm climate by the sea is better than freezing your knackers off by a river.

Cheers, Monnie.

Happy to advise anyone thinking of doing the same, once I'm there and it's all gone smoothly, that is!

Don't leave it too late, the door will be slamming shut soon, thanks to the Brexiteer feckers!
Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 09:32 - Feb 26 with 3484 viewsPegojack

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 09:27 - Feb 26 by JACKMANANDBOY

Good luck with the move and the new life, as you know I'm lucky enough to be just starting on all this retirement stuff!

Cheers matey, hope it all goes well for you.
Login to get fewer ads

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 09:34 - Feb 26 with 3480 viewsmalagajack

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 09:27 - Feb 26 by Pegojack

Cheers, mate. The first thing I did last Monday was engage an independent solicitor in Denia and opened a bank account, even before I knew for definite I was buying a house.

Let me know if you need any info, don't claim to be an expert but have been down here for years, salud
Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 09:46 - Feb 26 with 3456 viewsN_T_J

Brilliant. Enjoy your new life !! :)

Do you mind me asking why you picked Pego? Have you been there before and is there a expat community there?

The swimming pool overlooking the Orange Groves sounds stunning.
Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 09:50 - Feb 26 with 3450 viewsWarwickHunt

Well done, Mike - I'm already looking forward to the first poolside meeting of the Harry Bosch Fan Club...
Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 09:56 - Feb 26 with 3440 viewsPegojack

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 09:46 - Feb 26 by N_T_J

Brilliant. Enjoy your new life !! :)

Do you mind me asking why you picked Pego? Have you been there before and is there a expat community there?

The swimming pool overlooking the Orange Groves sounds stunning.

Hiya mate,

I had never been to that area of Spain before last week, but did a huge amount of research on tinternet and talking to various people. I'd been further north to the Costa Brava and further south around Malaga/Marbella, but never to this area south of Valencia.

I didn't want to be in the concrete jungle that is Torrevieja, surrounded by British ex pats playing bowls all day, shopping in Zenia Boulevard and drinking Watneys Red Barrel, blah, blah, blah.

The northern Costa Blanca is the second most healthy place to live in the world, according to the WHO. The climate is mild winters and warm summers, without getting into the 40s in the peak of the summer. It's greener and more scenic than further down the coast, and more typically Spanish. Denia and Xavia are fab towns. The beaches are great. Yes, there is a thriving ex pat community where I'm going to live, but lots of locals too.

I picked the house first, which just happened to be near Pego, but Pego itself is a nice Spanish town with all the required amenities. And a great Chinese restaurant, which I sampled on Tuesday!

[Post edited 26 Feb 2018 10:52]
Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 10:09 - Feb 26 with 3395 viewslifelong

All the very best to you, a bold and great move to make. 👍
Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 10:11 - Feb 26 with 3401 viewsN_T_J

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 09:56 - Feb 26 by Pegojack

Hiya mate,

I had never been to that area of Spain before last week, but did a huge amount of research on tinternet and talking to various people. I'd been further north to the Costa Brava and further south around Malaga/Marbella, but never to this area south of Valencia.

I didn't want to be in the concrete jungle that is Torrevieja, surrounded by British ex pats playing bowls all day, shopping in Zenia Boulevard and drinking Watneys Red Barrel, blah, blah, blah.

The northern Costa Blanca is the second most healthy place to live in the world, according to the WHO. The climate is mild winters and warm summers, without getting into the 40s in the peak of the summer. It's greener and more scenic than further down the coast, and more typically Spanish. Denia and Xavia are fab towns. The beaches are great. Yes, there is a thriving ex pat community where I'm going to live, but lots of locals too.

I picked the house first, which just happened to be near Pego, but Pego itself is a nice Spanish town with all the required amenities. And a great Chinese restaurant, which I sampled on Tuesday!

[Post edited 26 Feb 2018 10:52]

I love the idea of living in a small Spanish Village or Town, like you say away from the concrete jungle.

Is there a local football team there for you to go and watch?
Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 10:14 - Feb 26 with 3394 viewsAlgorfajack

Hi Mike,

Well that is great news for you mate, like us you are inland & the weather is usually hotter in the summer & colder at night in the winter than on the coast. Think our coldest night this winter was about 2C. Everything starting to warm up nicely now though.

Also, the shopping bills are generally a lot cheaper than in the holiday spots especially the beer lol.

Plenty of iptv options for watching the swans, mine costs me 80€ a year.

As we only live about 2 hrs from you mate, if there is anything I can help with then please ask.

Colin

Prediction league winner 2016-2017 aka llanedeyrnjack

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 10:27 - Feb 26 with 3366 viewsPegojack

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 10:14 - Feb 26 by Algorfajack

Hi Mike,

Well that is great news for you mate, like us you are inland & the weather is usually hotter in the summer & colder at night in the winter than on the coast. Think our coldest night this winter was about 2C. Everything starting to warm up nicely now though.

Also, the shopping bills are generally a lot cheaper than in the holiday spots especially the beer lol.

Plenty of iptv options for watching the swans, mine costs me 80€ a year.

As we only live about 2 hrs from you mate, if there is anything I can help with then please ask.

Colin

Thanks Colin, I will be in touch.

In answer to NTJ, Pego has a football team, think they're at the same level as Hereford!

There's always Valencia, of course, but my heart remains at the Liberty.
Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 11:07 - Feb 26 with 3304 viewsWingstandwood

Oh wow!...... I admire someone that has the 'get up and go' and 'bottle' to uproot oneself to relocate permanently abroad! It is (to myself) a real case/test of someone escaping a comfort-zone...... Ex Sex Pistol Steve Jones is exactly the same age as you, and at a much younger age (in twenties) moved to the U.S.A. I heard him in a recent-ish interview saying he would love to move to coastal-picturesque Northern California but bottled out at the very last moment. So the gist is, I assume you have a far greater sense of adventure. Oh and bearing in mind where you're living now? Looks like you have dared and you have won!
[Post edited 26 Feb 2018 11:08]

Argus!

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 11:21 - Feb 26 with 3280 viewsswanforthemoney

have a good time and enjoy it.

A thought, dont just hand in your notice. Offer yourself up for early retirment, you might get some enhanced pension contributions, or the offer to take your pension without actuarial reduction.

I stand in the North Stand

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 11:31 - Feb 26 with 3253 viewsPegojack

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 11:21 - Feb 26 by swanforthemoney

have a good time and enjoy it.

A thought, dont just hand in your notice. Offer yourself up for early retirment, you might get some enhanced pension contributions, or the offer to take your pension without actuarial reduction.

If only, mate. Hereford Council, like most councils, is skint and selling off the family silver as fast as it can.

If I asked for early retirement, they wouldn't stop laughing for twenty minutes.......
Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 11:42 - Feb 26 with 3227 viewsFlashberryjack

Good luck to you mate, only met you once (to my knowledge) but it feels like I've known you for years.
What a fantastic way to enjoy your retirement, go live the dream mate, and please do keep us all informed of your new exciting life in the sun (lucky bugger)

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 12:06 - Feb 26 with 3174 viewsLoyal

Its fcking freezing there in the winter.

Lived near there for two years, absolutely brass monkey weather in December, January and February. Don't be fooled by the day time temps.

Best of luck though, I know a few folk right over the other side near portugal and I can vouch for the climate there.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2018 12:11]

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 12:40 - Feb 26 with 3115 viewsNeath_Jack

Superb mate, best of luck to you out there.

I'd love to do that one day.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 12:53 - Feb 26 with 3080 viewsDrGonzo

Love reading things like this. All the best.
Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 14:49 - Feb 26 with 2944 viewsmax936

Very brave of you Mike, I'd love to do it maybe one day I will, good luck with it all hope its a success for you and yours.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 15:02 - Feb 26 with 2928 viewsDarran

Mikes a Baglan boy FFS,he’ll be fine.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024